Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Bob Quixote posted:

The Predator is grotesque, but its not exactly sexually ambiguous -- its entire schtick is that its basically the alien example of one engaged in the stereotypical masculine pastime of big game hunting. There isn't anything feminine about it, from its deep guttural voice, its very male and heavily muscled body and the fact that it goes most of the movie in a blank emotionless mask.

Long hair, skirt, vagina-mouth. Even the mask had feminized features. It was jacked and all, but it was an Amazon. It was some horrible female parody of manhood, which is exactly the point of it.

Predator's got some interesting stuff bubbling under the surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vagina-mouth aside, they were going for a more "tribal" motif with the long dreadlock-hair and the skirt, which was an interesting pairing of the tribal/"primitive" designs and behavior with its very high-tech weaponry. If they were going for a feminine motif with the Predator (they weren't), they left out a lot of important characteristics like mammary glands, child-bearing hips, etc. The mask doesn't have feminized features, they specifically designed the mask to be blank and featureless, so that the eventual reveal of the Predator's face would have more impact. The original design was much closer to the Predator's actual face, and they changed it to make it featureless (and the original mask ended up cameoing at the end of 'Predator 2'.

You say the phrase "exactly the point of it" as if it's a well-established concrete fact. I think it's that sort of phrasing that turns me off to wacky film interpretation and analysis. Seeing different interpretations and whatnot is neat - I liked the earlier discussion about the Thing as a female and the "artificial intelligence" idea, that was an interesting way to look at it. But saying things as if they were obvious factual intentional choices done by the filmmaker strikes me as pretentious as hell. Especially if, as lizardman said, the audience's perception is more important than the messenger's intention. If that's the case, then saying "the filmmaker obviously meant [x]" is really silly, when what you're really saying is "the audience perceived [x]".
Really it's not the actual film analysis and whatever that I don't like, it's the way it's commonly presented.

I guess I'm just an unwashed plebeian, I dunno. :saddowns:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 16, 2011

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It saves everybody else, sure, but everyone in the camp is dead. I guess you can kind of count that as a "win" for rationalism, but honestly I see it more as a combination of luck (that the Thing landed in Antarctica, for instance) and a symbolic microcosm.

It's like the end of Lord of the Flies, sure the day is saved and things will be okay from that point on, but a miniature version of our society totally just imploded into murder and self-destruction when faced with a certain kind of problem.

Not to mention the implications of ending a film about microcosmic society with a black man and a white man glaring warily at each other.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Xenomrph posted:

You say the phrase "exactly the point of it" as if it's a well-established concrete fact. I think it's that sort of phrasing that turns me off to wacky film interpretation and analysis. Seeing different interpretations and whatnot is neat - I liked the earlier discussion about the Thing as a female and the "artificial intelligence" idea, that was an interesting way to look at it. But saying things as if they were obvious factual intentional choices done by the filmmaker strikes me as pretentious as hell. Especially if, as lizardman said, the audience's perception is more important than the messenger's intention. If that's the case, then saying "the filmmaker obviously meant [x]" is really silly, when what you're really saying is "the audience perceived [x]".
Really it's not the actual film analysis and whatever that I don't like, it's the way it's commonly presented.

I guess I'm just an unwashed plebeian, I dunno. :saddowns:

I'm actually with you on this, for the most part (though I think you should be careful not to confuse "the film is obviously saying this" with "the author is obviously saying this"). Movies are such a collaborative medium that a lot of the time I think the deeper themes are usually accidents. I think it would distress the likes of SMG to know how often this is the case. I honestly don't think McTiernan or John Carpenter really thought their respective monsters were inherently representative of femininity; and even with Alien, the sexual imagery is obvious, but I think Ridley Scott's primary motivation for employing it is "it looks really cool" ("interesting" is probably how we would put it).

That said, a work of art is out of the author's hands once it's committed. A film says what it says as long as what's on screen follows.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

lizardman posted:

Movies are such a collaborative medium that a lot of the time I think the deeper themes are usually accidents. I think it would distress the likes of SMG to know how often this is the case. I honestly don't think McTiernan or John Carpenter really thought their respective monsters were inherently representative of femininity; and even with Alien, the sexual imagery is obvious, but I think Ridley Scott's primary motivation for employing it is "it looks really cool" ("interesting" is probably how we would put it).
The obvious film-analysis way to handwave that is that it was intentional but subconscious on the part of the creators. :smug:

No really I'm right there with you that a lot of meaning perceived by the audience is unintentional on the part of the creators and is the audience projecting their own feelings/experiences/knowledge onto what they're seeing. In a way it's like a less-abstract Rorschach test, where the inkblots themselves do not carry meaning, it's what is interpreted by the viewer that is important. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, and that can lead to interesting discussion (and discussion that is often more revealing about the person doing the observing or society as a whole, rather than that which is observed), it's when people start saying "oh this obviously means [x]" or "this was the creator's way of commenting on [y]" or whatever and phrasing opinions/interpretations as if they're facts that things start getting a little silly.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
There were no women in Antarctica when Who Goes There? was written and they weren't stationed there until relatively recently.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xenomrph posted:

Exactly. The design was literally done because James Cameron thought it would look cool, and he offhandedly suggested it to Stan Winston while on a plane ride.

Again, this is dodging the question. Why did James Cameron think the yoni-faced design would be the best choice for the film?

James Cameron is a skilled concept artist and production designer, most notably for his science-fiction films. Presumably he knew the basic premise of the film (powerful modern supermen vs. demonic genderfucking Guatemalan cave-spaceman.) Presumably, he suggested a design that would fit that premise. Presumably, Mcteirnan agreed that it was a good choice for the film he was making. As did the whole loving production team responsible for the finished film.

This goes beyond stated intent and into basic competence. You would have it that these professional artists had effectively no control over their output. That these professional communicators are bad at communicating.

Don't look for intent in DVD supplementals. Like try finding the word "posthumanism" or the name "Turing" in The Thing's commentary track, even though both are referenced explicitly in the text itself.

Hand a camera or a paintbrush to a guy on the street, by the way, and ask him to just do whatever looks cool. See how far that gets you.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jul 16, 2011

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Xenomrph posted:

The obvious film-analysis way to handwave that is that it was intentional but subconscious on the part of the creators. :smug:

Oh Jesus, stop saying this! Nobody needs the artists personal permission to hold an opinion on a book or read a film in a certain way.

Do you honestly think the value of a work of art is only in the INTENDED message? Nobody in this thread wants to put words in John Carpenter's mouth. Nobody is trying to second guess the creators. Nobody is suggesting they are smarter than the writers. People are looking at the images on the screen, and listening to the words that are spoken and applying their own readings.

edit: Doh, should have paid more attention!

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 16, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
In short:

The authors 'wrote' something.

We are 'reading' it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

frozenpeas posted:

Oh Jesus, stop saying this! Nobody needs the artists personal permission to hold an opinion on a book or read a film in a certain way.

Do you honestly think the value of a work of art is only in the INTENDED message? Nobody in this thread wants to put words in John Carpenter's mouth. Nobody is trying to second guess the creators. Nobody is suggesting they are smarter than the writers. People are looking at the images on the screen, and listening to the words that are spoken and applying their own readings.
No I don't honestly think that, since I agreed with you in that second part of my post. I was hoping the smug emoticon would make it clear that the first part was tongue-in-cheek, but I guess it didn't work out that way. :saddowns:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 16, 2011

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

In a way it's like a less-abstract Rorschach test, where the inkblots themselves do not carry meaning, it's what is interpreted by the viewer that is important. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, and that can lead to interesting discussion (and discussion that is often more revealing about the person doing the observing or society as a whole, rather than that which is observed)

How is the thing which is being observed (a movie, every image selected and written and shot by humans) not part of society as a whole?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Three Red Lights posted:

How is the thing which is being observed (a movie, every image selected and written and shot by humans) not part of society as a whole?
Because then you're in the realm of authorial intent, no? Not to mention that "selected and written and shot" implies some kind of conscious, intentional artistic decision on the part of the filmmaker, and that isn't necessarily the case. As mentioned earlier, sometimes what we see on-screen is the result of budget or technical limitations, or is a happy accident, or is literally nothing more than than something the filmmaker thought would "look cool".

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
This is like some bizarre supercombo of the author intent thing and the solipsistic "everything is subjective and so nothing is real" argument. The films are the product of human beings. Those humans are a product of society. In the case of professional filmmakers, most are college-educated. they are trained to communicate ideas with sounds and images. They are not operating in a vacuum and they are not just operating on random whims. they are people.

How can an Alien superfan not identify Promethean imagery? The next Alien film is called Prometheus, and that's not a novel development.

Ridley Scott did not just call the film Prometheus that because the name sounded cool. John Carpenter did not put a chess computer scene in The Thing - as the introduction to the lead character - because he had a minute of screen-time to kill.

Artists work within technical limitations. They don't just fart and poo poo if something is 'imperfect'.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

As mentioned earlier, sometimes what we see on-screen is the result of budget or technical limitations, or is a happy accident, or is literally nothing more than than something the filmmaker thought would "look cool".

The idea that something just "looks cool" seems like a cop-out when trying to describe how a piece of art came to be. The alien in Predator, Neo in the Matrix, and Robert Muldoon in Jurassic Park all "look cool," but that's entirely dependent on the context in which they appear and on the nature of their character. It's not a coincidence that we didn't end up with Bob Peck in khaki shorts up in a tree with an energy weapon trying to kill Arnold Schwarzenegger.

And as for accidents, take Jaws. Even though some of the film's strongest stuff was partially the result of technical problems - the fake sharks not working well - and serendipity - unexpected footage of a shark tearing a cage apart - that doesn't change the fact that the people who made it knew how to incorporate those happy accidents into the film.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
While all this is interesting (not really), it is detracting from my horror fix. I'd rather read five more pages about the relative merits of the Final Destination films than a discussion about intent vs. accident. Xenomrph is right, sometimes it is just an accident but that doesn't mean it is always an accident and he seemed clear about that. Generally what a person reads into a film tells me more about that person than the film. So if you have to bring this argument here please at least try and relate it back to horror films specifically.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

wormil posted:

While all this is interesting (not really), it is detracting from my horror fix. I'd rather read five more pages about the relative merits of the Final Destination films than a discussion about intent vs. accident. Xenomrph is right, sometimes it is just an accident but that doesn't mean it is always an accident and he seemed clear about that. Generally what a person reads into a film tells me more about that person than the film. So if you have to bring this argument here please at least try and relate it back to horror films specifically.

I like how you say "I don't want this argument to continue" and then try to weigh in with your own position on the argument (I mean I don't like it)

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
I watched Pelt on Netflix last night. I thought the premise, while not original, was interesting. Wow, what a piece of poo poo it was. Not recommended at all unless you like watching 90 minutes of poo poo.

Time for the next worthless streaming flick...

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Anybody seen The Ward?

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Wow, you guys weren't kidding about Trick 'R Treat. Definitely the best horror movie I've seen in a long time.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?

RBX posted:

Anybody seen The Ward?

Boring and, predictably predictable. Sorry.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
The only good thing about The Ward was Amber Heard. And she looks even hotter in Drive Angry.

Mr.Graves
Jul 23, 2007

by T. Finn
Predator wasn't about male/female. It was about techno-savagery. SMG is completely wrong in his interpretation. No offense, but he is.

The first team member that gets killed? Funny, likeable kid with the glasses. He was also the weakest, most 'humane', and the one most viewers would probably identify with, even if just subconsciously. Predators kill the weak first. Then Blain. Because Blain had the most powerful, brutal technology the team had, and it was nothing compared to the Predator. Because the Predators in the movie weren't 'anti-men vagina faces', they were hyper-male hunters that had less remorse and greater technology- in every way superior to the human males. Those first two kills show that scope.

The team gets hunted down, one by one, and reduced to a state of primal savagery, where the raw force of animal killing lust is in it's purest, hunting-form state. Watch the movie. There's a reason Billy stops, turns and pulls out his knife, and a reason why the ones who tried in any way to fight with a gun were destroyed before that. Billy understood.

That's why before the climax, Dutch is shooting a bow and arrow. And at the end, it wasn't a swinging 'mega-cock' deadlift trap that epitomized what the movie was about. It was Dutch, standing over top the downed Predator with the most basic, primitive weapon our species ever had- a loving rock, about to bear it down on top of the Predator's skull, to crush it's skull and watch it die like any other animal dies.

The Predator laughs, because he has one last piece of technology left.

Predator was never about men being reduced by female imagery; it was about the most hyper-male symbolic characters of that decade being eclipsed by an even greater hyper-male, and when both competitors were dragged down to the most pure, primal state, humanity's monstrous, unstoppable savagery won out. (If you want a more positive bent on it: 'Come for us. We will fight you with guns, we will fight you with knives. We will fight you with rocks. But we will not give up.')

Edit: spelling.

Mr.Graves fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 17, 2011

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
Anyone see the creepy trailer for Kill List?

http://www.kill-list.com/

Or for those who can't view the site:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmoCaF2l-Dk

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?

justlikedunkirk posted:

Anyone see the creepy trailer for Kill List?

http://www.kill-list.com/

Or for those who can't view the site:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmoCaF2l-Dk

Wow, what the heck was that? It was creepy in the same way that David Lynch can be and Begotten was when I first saw that.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mr.Graves posted:

:words:
This is also shown visually with the Predator's design, as I mentioned before. It has all this crazy technology, but it's wearing a loincloth, and sandals. Its movements are intelligent and calculated, but at the same time primal and feral. With the mask on, it's a smooth, featureless, emotionless entity, and with out it it's a hideous, crab-faced, beady-eyed monster.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Predator was an allegory for Vietnam.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Trailer for Contagion has been released. Thankfully it's no longer in 3D, AND my least favorite person in the cast dies in the trailer! Yesssss. I love my plague movies.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mr.Graves posted:

Predator wasn't about male/female. It was about techno-savagery.

I'm not sure how one aspect cancels out the other. The alien in the film is based around counter-intuitive pairings of concepts. It is advanced and primitive, and it is also simultaneously masculine and feminine.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 18, 2011

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Armyman25 posted:

Predator was an allegory for Vietnam.
That was 'Aliens'.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Doppelganger posted:

Wow, you guys weren't kidding about Trick 'R Treat. Definitely the best horror movie I've seen in a long time.

I watched it yesterday on the threads' recommendation. I felt it was a little mean spirited at first til I understood the premise, then I was on board. It was pretty creatively filmed and played with my expectations a bit. By the end I'd have to say it's definitely one of the better horror films I've seen.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
I'm worried Final Destination 5 is going to be swallowed up this summer as there are way to many movies out and I think a part 5 in a horror series will do well, Rise Of The Apes is out the week before.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Levantine posted:

I watched it yesterday on the threads' recommendation. I felt it was a little mean spirited at first til I understood the premise, then I was on board.
I know exactly what you're talking about. The shovel was a bit much for me, but it immediately got better.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Levantine posted:

I watched it yesterday on the threads' recommendation. I felt it was a little mean spirited at first til I understood the premise, then I was on board. It was pretty creatively filmed and played with my expectations a bit. By the end I'd have to say it's definitely one of the better horror films I've seen.

Trick R Treat is definitely a rare surprise. The movie went from showing theatrical trailers that looked really good! Then release dates kept pushing back and Fangoria reported it was in development/reshoot hell. Then it went dead silent. A couple of years later it was on the shelf at a store and a bargain price. It's a good horror film and great Halloween season film.

Seriously, I wonder if the reason it never saw theatrical release was because it was not a remake of a some classic franchise.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

ZombieParts posted:

Seriously, I wonder if the reason it never saw theatrical release was because it was not a remake of a some classic franchise.

Saw. Blame Saw. Warner Brothers poo poo their pants at the prospect of putting this movie up against Saw, so they shelved it.

Which is a drat shame, because I think it would have found a good audience in theaters. Still, I love popping that fucker in every October. Makes me grin throughout the picture.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 19, 2011

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I love anthology horror movies in general.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Saw. Blame Saw. Warner Brothers poo poo their pants at the prospect of putting this movie up against Saw, so they shelved it.

Which is a drat shame, because I think it would have found a good audience in theaters. Still, I love popping that fucker in every October. Makes me grin throughout the picture.

What's worse is that the film did GREAT at festivals. It played to packed places with people who were totally on board and it still got shelved. They didn't even reshoot anything, they just let it sit there and said they didn't know what to do with it.

All they had to do was put it out over Halloween and it would've done great business.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

ZombieParts posted:

Trick R Treat is definitely a rare surprise. The movie went from showing theatrical trailers that looked really good! Then release dates kept pushing back and Fangoria reported it was in development/reshoot hell. Then it went dead silent. A couple of years later it was on the shelf at a store and a bargain price. It's a good horror film and great Halloween season film.

There were rumors that WB chickened out due to the violence against kids in the movie.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Doppelganger posted:

I know exactly what you're talking about. The shovel was a bit much for me, but it immediately got better.

Yeah, I was getting ready to turn it off but I gave it a few more minutes and that was all it took. Each story was separately interesting and really surprising. I can only imagine it would have done well in theaters just on word of mouth alone.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

ZombieParts posted:

Trick R Treat and Fangoria

I keep forgetting that Fangoria is still in buisness. I had a sub for several years in the late 80's early 90's, and went to the the Weekend of Horror in Dearborne, MI two years in a row. Those were fun times and bless my dad, who had zero interest, for taking me. I met Angus Scrimm, Tom Savini, Tobe Hopper, Bruce Campbell and a bunch of others that I can't think of atm.

I've thought about going again, just to see what the what is, Has anyone been to a WoH in the last few years?

I still haven't seen Trick R Treat, but it is on my list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Levantine posted:

Yeah, I was getting ready to turn it off but I gave it a few more minutes and that was all it took. Each story was separately interesting and really surprising. I can only imagine it would have done well in theaters just on word of mouth alone.

I thought it was way too mean spirited at first. The opening vignette and the story about the Jack O'Lanterns really turned me off. I enjoyed the rest, I guess, but it didn't have the same neat atmosphere as the pumpkins one and never really drew me back in. Never gonna see it as some Halloween classic.