Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

He needs an editor (or even a proof-reader) who actually does his job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
It's kind of funny to watch what trend words he picks up and abandons as the chapters march on. It's like watching the years pass by! :haw: (And everyone forgot neeps, he was on one about neeps for quite a while.)

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I think Lord Manderley just shot up to my top five favorite characters.

Such a bad-rear end.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Thoguh posted:

So I think there is one line that shoots a big hole in the "Theon got gelded/is a eunuch idea, in the "Turncloak" chapter

So either he has forgotten that he's got nothing going on down there, or there is something else going on.

There are a lot of cases of him not wanting others to see him naked, and lots of "not a man" hints, but this seems to contradict all of that. Maybe it's just some kind of disfigurement, but he still has the family jewels?

Maybe a little late, but Ramsay himself asks Theon if he's hard and wants to gently caress "Arya" the night of the wedding. Actual wording might be "is your cock strains against your breeches?" or something.

But seriously, I'm kinda drained. Is this series going to end with all of Ned's children dead? Seems to me like direwolves spell death for anyone who has one.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Dazerbeams posted:

Maybe a little late, but Ramsay himself asks Theon if he's hard and wants to gently caress "Arya" the night of the wedding. Actual wording might be "is your cock strains against your breeches?" or something.

But seriously, I'm kinda drained. Is this series going to end with all of Ned's children dead? Seems to me like direwolves spell death for anyone who has one.

... and therefore, in a turn of events to piss off the entirety of Westeros.org, only Sansa survives :haw:

I'm pretty sure Sansa, Bran, and Arya will all make it to at least the endgame of the series, their arcs are too gradual and slow-burning for me to think otherwise. I mean, they could die before things get into the absolute climax, but it'd seem strange since they've had such gradual arcs across the series. It'd seem like wasting their characters in order to get a cheap shock. (This doesn't mean they won't die during the climax, though, which is probably going to be Arya's fate. Bran, meanwhile, is going to live forever and become Bloodraven 2.0: Direwolf Edition.)

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Roose/Ramsay: I do not see why people think they are unbelievably evil. Roose doesn't seem any worse than, say, Tywin Lannister. He is not shown as being cruel in any manner. He is simply utilitarian to a terrifying degree.

Ramsay is obviously psychopathic, but such people exist in real life. No one complains about the Bloody Mummers being unbelievable.

Now that I have finished the book, I'd like to go back and re-read the others. All the non-Westerosi cultures sort of blurred together for me before this book (aside from the Summer Islanders, who are the best, and maybe Braavos), but now I have a much clearer picture of them in my head.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Something I haven't seen mentioned- Roose Bolton should die at some point because he was lord of Harrenhall; everyone else who was lord has died very grisly deaths. It's not a stretch to think he was betrayed and killed during the battle.

Speaking of which, I would have liked the book a lot more if they actually showed the battle in the north.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

dumb brunette posted:

It's kind of funny to watch what trend words he picks up and abandons as the chapters march on. It's like watching the years pass by! :haw: (And everyone forgot neeps, he was on one about neeps for quite a while.)

And serjeant. That one really bugged me.

Darth Windu posted:

Roose doesn't seem any worse than, say, Tywin Lannister.

I don't remember Tywin ever casually raping people.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Rarity posted:

You're right, he just casually had other people do it.

Has anyone talked about where Rickon might be? Skagos?

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Darth Windu posted:

You're right, he just casually had other people do it.

Has anyone talked about where Rickon might be? Skagos?

It's almost guaranteed to be Skagos. Davos' last couple lines in the book say something about there being places in the world where people ate human flesh, and there was a bit going in AFFC (in Sam chapters, I think) about how the people on Skagos were cannibals.

EDIT: I think it's likely we'll see at least a bit of a recap of what actually happened with the battle for Winterfell in TWOW. Possibly through Bran's warg-eyes.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Notes from my reading: Every single male character meets a female with "the biggest tits he's ever seen".

The TV IV thread mentioned how Tyrion's acrobatics from his first scene with Jon never came up again. Hah.

The story about Tywin parading his father's mistress naked is repeated approximately a dozen times.

I suddenly have a lot more sympathy for the Iron Born, even though I could barely give a poo poo about the whole lot in FFC.

Leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal leal.

Huh. Blood Raven. Now I kinda want another Dunc story, if only to figure out wtf is up with that guy.

The Lemora thing from the thread speculation is interesting.

Windwordswordwindwords.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Rarity posted:

"Wherever whores go"

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Darth Windu posted:

Roose/Ramsay: I do not see why people think they are unbelievably evil. Roose doesn't seem any worse than, say, Tywin Lannister. He is not shown as being cruel in any manner. He is simply utilitarian to a terrifying degree.

He raped Ramsey's mother under the hanging body of her husband under the pretext that they didn't ask for his permission. Because he fancied her.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Plucky Brit posted:

Something I haven't seen mentioned- Roose Bolton should die at some point because he was lord of Harrenhall; everyone else who was lord has died very grisly deaths. It's not a stretch to think he was betrayed and killed during the battle.
Littlefinger is Lord of Harrenhal and he's still alive too. And I'll be pissed if he gets killed, he is one of the best characters in the series - a social climber to match Bronn, only with intrigue instead of brawn.

Rarity posted:

And serjeant. That one really bugged me.
I thought this was one of GRRM's trademark "make a word sound medieval by stepping back once or twice through the etymology" tricks (see also: "break one's fast", "morrow"), but the French word has always been simply "sergent" :raise:.

FuraxVZ
Dec 18, 2004
Incredibly Unimaginative

Space Pussy posted:

It's not like he carries around a birth certificate. You could easily pass off a 1 year old as a new born.

You could pass off a 17 year old as a 16 year old, but there's a world of difference between a 1 year old and a newborn.

"Wow, your kid is amazing! 10 days old and he has all his baby teeth, eats solid foods, and can walk!"
"Yeah, he's the Prince That Was Promised."

In short, the B+A theory, while I like people thinking outside the box, would be a big stretch.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

NihilCredo posted:

Littlefinger is Lord of Harrenhal and he's still alive too. And I'll be pissed if he gets killed, he is one of the best characters in the series - a social climber to match Bronn, only with intrigue instead of brawn.

One suggestion I picked up on in the books is that the Harrenhal curse only takes effect if you actually spend time in the castle while lord/lady of it. Littlefinger has spent no time there. Also, Lady Whent hasn't been confirmed as dead, and she was Lady of Harrenhal for quite some time.

Edit: basically, the Harrenhal curse is bullshit.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

FuraxVZ posted:

You could pass off a 17 year old as a 16 year old, but there's a world of difference between a 1 year old and a newborn.

Both are infants. All you need is a wetnurse you can trust, which they had.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Space Pussy posted:

A one-year-old child would be an "infant" so gigantic that it'd put even baby Gregor to shame.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

NihilCredo posted:

I thought this was one of GRRM's trademark "make a word sound medieval by stepping back once or twice through the etymology" tricks (see also: "break one's fast", "morrow"), but the French word has always been simply "sergent" :raise:.

Both "break the fast" and "morrow" are real words/phrases though. Just not used much nowadays (breakfast comes from breaking the fast). Serjant is like Ser a different phonetic spelling of the normal word.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Am I alone in hoping Varys dies horribly? I mean I didn't really feel that bad for Kevan Lannister, but seriously, the "for the realm" bullshit is tiring. Unless he's got some super secret prophetic knowledge, his plans have hosed up the ASoIaF world more than anyone else's.

Also, I'm with the maesters, kill all the loving dragons. :black101:

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.

Decius posted:

Both "break the fast" and "morrow" are real words/phrases though. Just not used much nowadays (breakfast comes from breaking the fast). Serjant is like Ser a different phonetic spelling of the normal word.

Serjeant is a real spelling still used in some cases. It isn't just made or spelt slightly different like Ser/Sir.

E.g: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serjeant-at-Arms_of_the_British_House_of_Commons

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Darth Windu posted:

He is not shown as being cruel in any manner. He is simply utilitarian to a terrifying degree.
The word you're looking for is "pragmatic". This book has very few utilitarians.

Space Pussy posted:

Newborn
One year old

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jul 16, 2011

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
Finished it last night, I liked the Dany and Tyrion chapters. :)

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Aurubin posted:

Am I alone in hoping Varys dies horribly? I mean I didn't really feel that bad for Kevan Lannister, but seriously, the "for the realm" bullshit is tiring. Unless he's got some super secret prophetic knowledge, his plans have hosed up the ASoIaF world more than anyone else's.

Also, I'm with the maesters, kill all the loving dragons. :black101:
I just don't get what Varys want. Killing Kevan just will just lead to more pain for the realm, and it's not like a Targaryen on the throne would be inherently better than a Baratheon or Lannister. Maybe he's just trying to cause a peasant rebellion. But gently caress Varys for killing Ser Kevan either way.

Oh, and this is the best armor description in the books:

quote:

Back where the press was the thickest at the center of the column rode a man armored in dark grey plate over a quilted tunic of blood-red leather. His rondels were wrought in the shape of human heads, with open mouths that shrieked in agony. From his shoulders streamed a pink woolen cloak embroidered with droplets of blood. Long streamers of red silk fluttered from the top of his closed helm.
They better have that poo poo in the show. Roose owns, pink owns.

And I agree that Roose Bolton basically is Tywin with his pragmatism, and not unrealistically evil or whatever. And Ramsay is an obvious psychopath.

e; GRRM needs to cut down on 'as useless as nipples on a breastplate'

Kainser fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 16, 2011

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I don't get Roose's endgame. So he becomes King in the North (or a de facto equivalent) dies, Ramsay (whom he loving loathes) takes over and kills all his brothers, acts like a psychopath, pisses everything Roose got away. It's not like Tywin's big Lannister dynasty plans,so... ?

Kainser posted:

e; GRRM needs to cut down on 'as useless as nipples on a breastplate'
But are they leal nipples, or are their words just wind?

e; Would you say that these nipples aren't worth a mummers fart, nuncle?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Xander77 posted:

I don't get Roose's endgame. So he becomes King in the North (or a de facto equivalent) dies, Ramsay (whom he loving loathes) takes over and kills all his brothers, acts like a psychopath, pisses everything Roose got away. It's not like Tywin's big Lannister dynasty plans,so... ?
Yeah, I didn't really get Roose's "Ramsay will make a horrible lord, he'll kill all my legitimate sons and I hate him in general, but at least he's better than a boy lord so I should keep him around!". Presumably he has a reason since he's been shown to be competent otherwise, but who knows.

How old is Roose anyway? He mentions that he won't live enough to see his sons with Walda reach manhood, but I always thought that he was 50 years old at most.

seniorservice
Jun 18, 2004

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

Kainser posted:

Yeah, I didn't really get Roose's "Ramsay will make a horrible lord, he'll kill all my legitimate sons and I hate him in general, but at least he's better than a boy lord so I should keep him around!". Presumably he has a reason since he's been shown to be competent otherwise, but who knows.

How old is Roose anyway? He mentions that he won't live enough to see his sons with Walda reach manhood, but I always thought that he was 50 years old at most.

I just get the feeling that Roose doesn't really give a poo poo about anyone but himself and thus doesn't care what happens after he dies. Ramsay is his dog and keeps the North in line which is why he keeps him around. I think Roose is definitely a sociopath though he isn't psychotic like his bastard son.

edit - look how casually he mentions Ramsay killing his sons, because it doesn't matter at all to him. If he cared about an heir there is no way he'd let Ramsay do that and Ramsay might even be dead by now.

seniorservice fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 16, 2011

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.

Kainser posted:

I just don't get what Varys want. Killing Kevan just will just lead to more pain for the realm, and it's not like a Targaryen on the throne would be inherently better than a Baratheon or Lannister. Maybe he's just trying to cause a peasant rebellion. But gently caress Varys for killing Ser Kevan either way.

Varys saw that Kevan was capable of stabilizing the realm.

"... you were threatening to undo all the queen's good work, to reconcile Highgarden and Casterly Rock, bind the Faith to your little king, unite the Seven Kingdoms under Tommen's rule."

Varys wants the realm at pain, he wants all the rulers at each other's throats so that when the rightful heir comes to take the throne back he won't meet any organised military resistance.

Varys believes that Aegon should rule because a) he's a Targaryen and b) "Tommen has been taught that kingship is his right, Aegon knows that kingship is his duty, that a king must put his people first, and live and rule for them."

I agree with him.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So if Varys and Illyrio both know that Aegon survived, why have they been supporting Viserys/Danerys for so long? Hedging their bets? Do they expect them to reveal themselves to each other eventually? How is that supposed to work?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Anyone possibly think that the fact that Ramsay, not Roose sent that letter means that Roose is dead? Roose would of most likely not been so impulsive, regardless of if they won against Stannis or not.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Silas the Mariner posted:

Varys saw that Kevan was capable of stabilizing the realm.

"... you were threatening to undo all the queen's good work, to reconcile Highgarden and Casterly Rock, bind the Faith to your little king, unite the Seven Kingdoms under Tommen's rule."

Varys wants the realm at pain, he wants all the rulers at each other's throats so that when the rightful heir comes to take the throne back he won't meet any organised military resistance.

Varys believes that Aegon should rule because a) he's a Targaryen and b) "Tommen has been taught that kingship is his right, Aegon knows that kingship is his duty, that a king must put his people first, and live and rule for them."

I agree with him.
Stannis believes that kingship is his duty as well, Varys should support him :colbert:

I just don't get why he (apparently) loves house Targaryen so much. I realize that his "I HATE MAGIC"-speech in Clash might have been a complete fabrication, but he never seemed like a guy who would care that much about the Targs and the rightful line of succession anyway.

e; My main problem is with 'for the realm' really. Sure, he can be pro-Targaryen, but the people of the realm doesn't give a gently caress about whether Tommen or Aegon rules, and would probably prefer to have Kevan stabilizing the realm for a few years over a reignited civil war.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 16, 2011

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
From what I remember the plan was for Viserys to get his army from Khal Drago then meetup with Aegon and invade Westeros with the Golden Company. At that point Virserys would marry Martell's daughter to unite them with Dorne and they would be able take back the throne.

Now a lot of that plan depended on Viserys not being a psychopath so we know why it went down the drain.

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

PT6A posted:

So if Varys and Illyrio both know that Aegon survived, why have they been supporting Viserys/Danerys for so long? Hedging their bets? Do they expect them to reveal themselves to each other eventually? How is that supposed to work?

It could be a hedge. Or - assuming that Aegon is a real Targaryen - that they hope they'll marry and rule as king and queen, ala the old Targ inter-family marriages.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Roark posted:

It could be a hedge. Or - assuming that Aegon is a real Targaryen - that they hope they'll marry and rule as king and queen, ala the old Targ inter-family marriages.
This is probably the current plan. I'm guessing that it'll end in tears with Daenerys incinerating Aegon after he mentions that he is the rightful Targaryen claimant and should be in charge.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

We've seen that Aegon is not opposed to using blue dye, and in a year or two he should be able to grow a decent beard. He'll seduce Dany just fine :smug:

Bakified
Dec 30, 2004

Kainser posted:

Stannis believes that kingship is his duty as well, Varys should support him :colbert:

I just don't get why he (apparently) loves house Targaryen so much. I realize that his "I HATE MAGIC"-speech in Clash might have been a complete fabrication, but he never seemed like a guy who would care that much about the Targs and the rightful line of succession anyway.

e; My main problem is with 'for the realm' really. Sure, he can be pro-Targaryen, but the people of the realm doesn't give a gently caress about whether Tommen or Aegon rules, and would probably prefer to have Kevan stabilizing the realm for a few years over a reignited civil war.

I'm not sure Varys loves the Targaryens so much as he loves the idea of putting his idea of the perfect ruler on the throne. Varys, Illyrio, and Griff have been grooming Aegon for years, Varys isn't going to support someone else when he has his handcrafted ruler to put his ideas on what makes a good ruler into action.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Happydogska posted:

http://thinkprogress.org/alyssa/2011/07/15/270611/on-a-dance-with-dragons/
Here's a really great review of the books that discusses a lot of the faults with the book, and also explains the point of the Tyrion chapters, which I think many of you have missed.

Thanks for posting this, I liked it.

Just finished ADWD and out of all the things I loved and hated about it nothing annoys me more than the fact that the "Tyrion is a secret Targ" crowd will not shut up now. Even though I still don't believe he is.

We'll be pointlessly debating this for years. Thanks Gurm.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Kainser posted:

This is probably the current plan. I'm guessing that it'll end in tears with Daenerys incinerating Aegon after he mentions that he is the rightful Targaryen claimant and should be in charge.

Best case is they marry, she handles the conquering and such and he handles actually ruling.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ixian posted:

Thanks for posting this, I liked it.

Just finished ADWD and out of all the things I loved and hated about it nothing annoys me more than the fact that the "Tyrion is a secret Targ" crowd will not shut up now. Even though I still don't believe he is.

We'll be pointlessly debating this for years. Thanks Gurm.

Which is stupid, because the implication was obviously that Cersei and Jaime are secret Targs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Best case is they marry, she handles the conquering and such and he handles actually ruling.

It says something about how hosed up GRRM's fantasy world is where "guy marries his own aunt," is considered a best case.