Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MassRayPer posted:

That is the one PPV that would strive for a C-, but in the end it is just so loving Russo. Sid/Goldberg is blown off in a 5 minute I Quit match, there are way too many tournament matches and Benoit/Hart isn't close to the level it was on free TV a month earlier.

It started well then the nWo came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The final Nitro set is so incredibly ugly... and then they even used it for all the PPVs too. Is there an actual reason for this, like not enough money in the budget to assemble and break down the big set with the moving logo and video wall?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Astro7x posted:

The final Nitro set is so incredibly ugly... and then they even used it for all the PPVs too. Is there an actual reason for this, like not enough money in the budget to assemble and break down the big set with the moving logo and video wall?

I always loved the big C. It was extravagant, it injured wrestlers, it made run ins near impossible with the sliding monitors but god drat did it look awesome. It could even kick the poo poo out of the Big Smackdown Fist. It was just so badass. It should have been WCW Worlds Heavyweight Champion.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Astro7x posted:

I think I read in the of wcw that the crappy cheap set was related to money issues. I really need to read that again.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Akileese posted:

I think I read in the of wcw that the crappy cheap set was related to money issues. I really need to read that again.

Yeah, they blew like half the year's budget on the design and construction of the "moving C" set, with the idea that the re-branding would draw in new viewers, and they still had to pay guys like Sting and Goldberg.

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 15, 2011

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Timby posted:

Yeah, they blew like half the year's budget on the design and construction of the "moving C" set, with the idea that the re-branding would draw in new viewers, and they still had to pay guys like Sting and Goldberg.

While the new set was from 1999 and not 2000, it is important to remember that WCW's total payroll was about 1/3 that of the total 68 Million Dollars the company lost in 2000. WCW's ability to waste money on sets, locatons, wrecking cars, celebrities, gimmick matches and everything else will never have a peer.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Lamuella posted:

I really hope you missed a decimal point there.

Didn't miss a decimal point.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
My fondest memory of WCW as it neared death was how lovely the production became. The final Nitro set looks like a poor man's version of the 1997 RAW set, the production truck would always play the wrong theme song or miss cues for canned video, and just all sorts of other minor gaffes.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

triplexpac posted:

Didn't miss a decimal point.

Missed a joke, though

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I never followed WCW...does anyone have pictures of the set's your talking about? GIS turns some up but I have know idea which one is from which period...

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I may have mentioned this elsewhere in the thread, but speaking of production, I love the Thunder episode where they aired a replay of the SHOCKING SWERVE finish of a Sting/Villanos match at the beginning of the show when the match took place at the end.

I don't think they ever actually had a guy whose job it was to pay attention to poo poo like that. And yet they gave millions to Master P, Dennis Rodman, KISS and Chad Brock.

EDIT: There was also a Nitro where Mike Awesome was taken away in an ambulance after a post-match beating...and then showed up in the next scene carrying a coffin around backstage, looking fine.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 16, 2011

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

blunt posted:

I never followed WCW...does anyone have pictures of the set's your talking about? GIS turns some up but I have know idea which one is from which period...

They started using it on the April 10th, 2000 Nitro where Russo stripped all the titles from everybody

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I may have mentioned this elsewhere in the thread, but speaking of production, I love the Thunder episode where they aired a replay of the SHOCKING SWERVE finish of a Sting/Villanos match at the beginning of the show when the match took place at the end.

I don't think they ever actually had a guy whose job it was to pay attention to poo poo like that. And yet they gave millions to Master P, Dennis Rodman, KISS and Chad Brock.

EDIT: There was also a Nitro where Mike Awesome was taken away in an ambulance after a post-match beating...and then showed up in the next scene carrying a coffin around backstage, looking fine.

This is one of the things I miss about Nitro and Thunder and pretty much all of WCW. There was no quality control. There was no continuity. No one was accountable for anything, and once it was apparent that it was beyond saving it almost made the show watchable again. That thing with Tank Abbott holding a knife to a prone opponent's neck is still amazing to me. "I'm gonna attack him with a weapon after the match, okay?" "Huh? Yeah, sure sure. Whatever, Tank."

Obviously the bloat and the gently caress-ups reduced the business in the eyes of anyone with half a brain, and it died much later than it should of. You shouldn't watch a wrestling show because of how funny it is to watch them suck so amazingly bad, especially if you care about the business one bit. But it's fun to reminisce on it, and it was pretty goddamn funny.

God, Lex Luger hosed up more than a couple taped promos. How do you let that happen?

e: Whether I watch wrestling or not I still go through those old Observer quotes about once a year. If you wrote a TV comedy about a wrestling promotion and worked half of those amazing stories into it, someone would say "Don't you think you should dial it back a bit? Who's gonna believe that?". It should be required reading for anyone who wants to get into production or editing.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 16, 2011

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Astro7x posted:

They started using it on the April 10th, 2000 Nitro where Russo stripped all the titles from everybody

That's a pretty dull set, but it doesn't seem dangerous

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist

blunt posted:

That's a pretty dull set, but it doesn't seem dangerous

No, that's the very last one. The dangerous one, and me too dumb to post pictures, was a massive version of the wCw logo with the giant C. It slid open and the wrestlers exited from the middle. The dangerous part came because the middle was, of course, a giant C that was the floor of the ramp. What was it made of? Slick metal!

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Were they trying for a replica of the Raw Titan tron with that?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Minges posted:

No, that's the very last one. The dangerous one, and me too dumb to post pictures, was a massive version of the wCw logo with the giant C. It slid open and the wrestlers exited from the middle. The dangerous part came because the middle was, of course, a giant C that was the floor of the ramp. What was it made of? Slick metal!

This was the only image I could find of it:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Timby posted:

This was the only image I could find of it:

:allears:

PoO3
Dec 30, 2000
going back to heenans commentary in wcw, i'll never forget this moment.
schiavone just saying something ridiculous about hacksaw and brain just cracking the gently caress up for the whole match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afNOqwJrT8s

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Maybe this one is a little bit better

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Astro7x posted:

Maybe this one is a little bit better

Holy poo poo that's ugly.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

PoO3 posted:

going back to heenans commentary in wcw, i'll never forget this moment.
schiavone just saying something ridiculous about hacksaw and brain just cracking the gently caress up for the whole match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afNOqwJrT8s
I've never seen this before but holy hell. Schiavone calls duggan intelligent and heenan just completely loses it.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

blunt posted:

Holy poo poo that's ugly.

You could say that it looks like something a bird left on the hood of my car...

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So, which was the ramp that Juvi kept falling on his rear end on?
(Don't blame the meth).

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

I posted:

(Don't blame the meth).

It was the one with the giant C as I recall. He kept getting over excited running out and slipping on his arse if I remember rightly.

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist

I posted:

(Don't blame the meth).

Blame the Juvi Juice.

He fell a lot, but SO many people ate it on that giant C.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Minges posted:

Blame the Juvi Juice.

He fell a lot, but SO many people ate it on that giant C.

Ya but did they get high on pcp and run around naked in a hotel and punch a cop?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I almost forgot that at the end of WCW, they made Juvi into a parody of The Rock.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

1st AD posted:

I almost forgot that at the end of WCW, they made Juvi into a parody of The Rock.

I'll never forget the Juvi Juice promo he cut in XPW.

"You don't like me? SO SUCK MY DICK!"
"This is not a Juicy crowd tonight."

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

1st AD posted:

"The Juice has come back to (city)"

I can't believe he actually said that regularly.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

ChampRamp posted:

"The Juice has come back to (city)"

I can't believe he actually said that regularly.

I'm pretty sure the gimmick was Juvi's idea because he did it after leaving WCW. He must have thought, "gently caress, I'm more talented than the Rock! All he does is says a bunch of catch phrases! I can do that too!" and then went out and created... The Juice.

God bless acid.

Eugene Jerome
Jun 24, 2005

by angerbeet

Lone Rogue posted:

I'll never forget the Juvi Juice promo he cut in XPW.

"You don't like me? SO SUCK MY DICK!"
"This is not a Juicy crowd tonight."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFqrppW9N0c

Mohammeds Radio
Dec 8, 2007
Get up and dance! Get up and dance or I'll kill ya! And I got the means too!

Lone Rogue posted:

I'm pretty sure the gimmick was Juvi's idea because he did it after leaving WCW. He must have thought, "gently caress, I'm more talented than the Rock! All he does is says a bunch of catch phrases! I can do that too!" and then went out and created... The Juice.

God bless acid.

It always sounded like he was saying "I am de jewz"

smack632
Dec 31, 2007
Juventud owns bones and I wish they caught his ecstasy hotel freak out on tape

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You know, sometimes I dream of working for WCW at it's peak... as Lanny Poffo, getting paid over $200,000/ year to stay at home and do nothing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

I posted:

You know, sometimes I dream of working for WCW at it's peak... as Lanny Poffo, getting paid over $200,000/ year to stay at home and do nothing.

He truly was a genius.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm surprised Mean Gene didn't charge $1.95 a minute to enter the "Who will trip on the giant C tonight?" pool every Monday.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

I posted:

And if you ever do want to go anywhere, free air travel!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I actually loved that very last Nitro set, just because it was so basic. Raw was in the process of adding more and more bits to their set, so I liked the stripped down Nitro version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I just watched Benoit/Raven from souled out.

Man that's an odd match. On one hand there is a lot of Raven and Benoit kicking rear end. But on the other hand there are some brutal chair spots that make me cringe.

It's so odd watching Raven go from a main event star in ECW to a midcard goon in WCW. I guess it is like watching Daniel Bryan in WWE. :)