Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

EightBit posted:

Tell me that the Metro was towed...

It had to be towed. Not only was the tire right up against the wheel well, but the arm pulled far enough out to actually pull the inner CV joint completely apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Quote != Edit

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Tactical Bonnet posted:

I once watched a cadillac(?) with a missing outer tie rod end drive into my parking lot, with the right wheel cut all the way right, and the left wheel cut all the way left(so it would roll roughly straight I guess?), buy said tie rod end, back out doing a full 180 due to said cocked up steering, then pull out onto the street and drive about 150 yards before a loud bang brought it to rest blocking the entrance of the mechanic he was trying to pull into.

The newest trend for all the VW rust / hellaflush people - extreme toe.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My alignment specs after raising it 2" so the swingarm would stop chopping through the body were 9 degrees camber each side and 1.75 degrees toe in each side. Good times.

My laptop poo poo the bed so I've only got my phone, any way to mobile upload a picture of an E30 shock that decided it'd rather punch through the fenderwell instead? And I caused a mechanical failur at work today.....mis pressed a u joint. Didn't know you can shoot needle bearings out the backside of the cap!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

My alignment specs after raising it 2" so the swingarm would stop chopping through the body were 9 degrees camber each side and 1.75 degrees toe in each side. Good times.

My laptop poo poo the bed so I've only got my phone, any way to mobile upload a picture of an E30 shock that decided it'd rather punch through the fenderwell instead? And I caused a mechanical failur at work today.....mis pressed a u joint. Didn't know you can shoot needle bearings out the backside of the cap!

imgur.com has a mobile version that works quite well on my Incredible.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
Crosspost from another thread but its simply too :black101: to not be posted here...

Single cylinder 2 stroke hot-bulb engine returns to life with a vengeance...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG1MnXkHhlM&feature=related

Bonus awesome comedy soundtrack option:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrAeUf7v49g&feature=related

Edit: The man is some sort of Diesel Cowboy. He grabs on tight and breaks that sonofabitch.

Sponge! fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 15, 2011

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Sponge! posted:

Edit: The man is some sort of Diesel Cowboy. He grabs on tight and breaks that sonofabitch.

He did eventually get it to behave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_0poJpCD18

Note that in the first video posted when it goes runaway and the first three minutes of this one, it's running BACKWARDS. Looking at the flywheel, it's spinning counterclockwise, it should spin clockwise.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
Goddamn that guy has some serious balls to wrestle with a freestanding 1000+ pound runaway engine.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

lazer_chicken posted:

Goddamn that guy has some serious balls to wrestle with a freestanding 1000+ pound runaway engine.

The look he gives the camera at around 1:33 in the comedy soundtrack video is priceless. Its like a "The Most Interesting Man in the World" commercial. Balls of steel.

(Steel.)

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

trouser chili posted:

Note that in the first video posted when it goes runaway and the first three minutes of this one, it's running BACKWARDS. Looking at the flywheel, it's spinning counterclockwise, it should spin clockwise.

It's easy to make a diesel engine run backwards. The fuel system is separate from the intake and exhaust and the low speed means your valve timing isn't really advanced in either direction.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Oh cool, I was waiting for an update on that runaway engine.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

oxbrain posted:

It's easy to make a diesel engine run backwards. The fuel system is separate from the intake and exhaust and the low speed means your valve timing isn't really advanced in either direction.

There's a tractor that runs around at the Museum town that I blacksmith at sometimes. Its gears are all straight cut (I think) and the way to reverse it is to stop the motor, and spin the flywheel backwards. I'll try to dig up a picture of it, it's pretty neat looking.

Man I want to say it's this one, but I'm not sure now.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 15, 2011

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

I did this on 3 out of 4 when was doing rear-end work on the Sting Ray, using hand-tools. What a loving mess. Every once in a while I'll still run across one in the garage, and it's been over a year.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

trouser chili posted:

Honest question, what can this engine do that my 105hp TDI cannot?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

insta posted:

Survive an apocalypse or two, and run on fuel that barely qualifies as such.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

insta posted:

Propel a ship.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I like InitialDave's answer better. Education had!

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
-Run in 2 directions.

-Not have spark plugs

-Be machined by any sub-idiot out of cast iron in any machine shop

-Have its entire powerband contained with 300 to 400 rpms

I wonder what the torque figures are like.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Mechanical failure in progress at the shop. Somehow someone grounded the battery to short on the brake hardline and the master cylinder is boiling over and the lines are glowing red. On standby with the extinguishers.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
We demand pictures! :colbert:

And while we're waiting for them, here's another horrible mechanical failure from me:

"The gears seem to engage, and the clutch feels fine, but it won't move? No extra noises either? OK I'll come pick it up"

..well that might have something to do with it. (From a free Peugeot 405, and the remains of the differential)

JointHorse fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 17, 2011

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Mechanical failure in progress at the shop. Somehow someone grounded the battery to short on the brake hardline and the master cylinder is boiling over and the lines are glowing red. On standby with the extinguishers.

How does one do that, did they try to really gently caress poo poo up?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

tater_salad posted:

How does one do that, did they try to really gently caress poo poo up?

I don't know. Batterys disconnected and its a bad day all around. I've been stuck on a phantom shake since 8am and someone else got hosed over ona passat hard. The gods have forsaken us this day. Managers on the warpath, no pics for now.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

I don't know. Batterys disconnected and its a bad day all around. I've been stuck on a phantom shake since 8am and someone else got hosed over ona passat hard. The gods have forsaken us this day. Managers on the warpath, no pics for now.

Bad day for us too. Packed all day with the regular work, theres an overheater that just got new headgaskets and had the heads machined, and then this clutch job came in on an 02 Altima that wouldn't shift out of first.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Boss diagnosed the Safari brake issue. Fault with the abs computer sent an electrical charge through the brake line somehow ( :psyduck: ) and when our tech disconnected the caliper it found new and interesting paths to ground, causing the abs computer and pump to eat itself alive and try to melt the hard lines. Got some pictures, gonna see how imgur mobile works out and try to get them uploaded.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Boss diagnosed the Safari brake issue. Fault with the abs computer sent an electrical charge through the brake line somehow ( :psyduck: ) and when our tech disconnected the caliper it found new and interesting paths to ground, causing the abs computer and pump to eat itself alive and try to melt the hard lines. Got some pictures, gonna see how imgur mobile works out and try to get them uploaded.

F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
This should work, its not cooperating with the other pictures for some reason. Cluck for huge.

Man, todays been like one constant never ending kick to the nuts. And just when you think it's over you see the kicker for the Dolphins lining one up right between your goalposts, and from between gritted teeth you hear "laces out."

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

And you're blueballing the poo poo out of us.

Since you're stuck only using your phone, if you like you can send them to me and I'll toss them on imgur for you. Check your FB for my email address. :byodame:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 17, 2011

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The image is not working, 14" :(

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well hell ill get them sent over to Texas then. Got your message, will get right on it. It shows up for me oddly enough.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

drat, I forgot how much MMS compresses poo poo. 14, email them next time, it'll take longer but they won't be so tiny. My bad.

Here's the ultimate ABS failure.

Some custom strut

Yeah that should stop just gre.... :stare:

I see 14 inch has found the LOGO channel.

edit: where the hell did you find that tape? I want some.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 17, 2011

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

some texas redneck posted:

drat, I forgot how much MMS compresses poo poo. 14, email them next time, it'll take longer but they won't be so tiny. My bad.

Here's the ultimate ABS failure.

That's the most ridiculous brake failure I've ever heard of. Dear christ, it discolored the goddamn paint. :supaburn:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Well, he did say the brake lines were glowing at one point. I can't imagine how hot it must have been to cause the lines to rust immediately...

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 17, 2011

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
They were definitely orange at the point I looked but there was absolutely no tactful way to take a picture what with the managers and smoke and extinguishers at the ready.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

They were definitely orange at the point I looked but there was absolutely no tactful way to take a picture what with the managers and smoke and extinguishers at the ready.
Tact isn't important. Getting AI the pics is.
Say it is for risk management.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

We should have a picture of this for the workplace safety newsletter.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

I would have gone with "no way are this guy, his insurance company, our insurance company, or any of their lawyers going to believe us otherwise"

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Seriously if he has to replace nearly the entire brake system that would be some megabucks.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

insta posted:

Apparently be left outside to rust and total neglect for several decades before being brought back angrily to life by a couple of guys with a blow torch, air compressor and something that perhaps resembles fuel.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mr-Spain posted:

Seriously if he has to replace nearly the entire brake system that would be some megabucks.

That's what I was thinking. The calipers are likely fine, but the lines are already rusting, and the master cylinder and ABS pump aren't designed for that kind of heat. No telling what kind of damage was done to the electrical system, particularly with that loom that runs next to one of the lines.

Unfortunately the shop's insurance will likely take the hit, even though all they did was remove a caliper. Gonna be ugly no matter what.

edit: I sent 14" a text asking about it, apparently the car was in there for "boiling brake fluid" anyway, and followed it up with: "Haha dudes drivin it into the ground and scrapping it soon, he didn't care at all. Replaced what was necessary and he picked it up". :drat:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

trouser chili posted:

Apparently be left outside to rust and total neglect for several decades before being brought back angrily to life by a couple of guys with a blow torch, air compressor and something that perhaps resembles fuel.

Backwards.