Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Fringe

I was hesitant at first to start watching. I tried once and only got two episodes in. However a few weeks back I just binged through season one and couldn't stop watching. Now I'm half way through season 2 and can't wait to see what happens.

My only gripe with the show is that the overall mythology is fantastic. The plot is amazing. But when they do plot/mythology episodes, it makes watching the standalone episodes so much harder, even though they are good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

HanabaL03 posted:

Fringe

I was hesitant at first to start watching. I tried once and only got two episodes in. However a few weeks back I just binged through season one and couldn't stop watching. Now I'm half way through season 2 and can't wait to see what happens.

My only gripe with the show is that the overall mythology is fantastic. The plot is amazing. But when they do plot/mythology episodes, it makes watching the standalone episodes so much harder, even though they are good too.

Have you gotten to White Tulip?

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Have you gotten to White Tulip?

Not yet, but I heard that's one of the best episodes of the series. I'm a couple episodes past "Grey Matters" which is about half way through season 2.

Also are there websites that help out with the connections and overall mythology of the show? Obviously I need to wait until I finish season 3 to look that up.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

precision posted:

What confuses me about people who say this is that their argument is usually Nathan IS Misfits.

I think that's more than a little true about season 1. Simon and Curtis had great episodes (I assume the Simon episode was great; I couldn't watch it because the Sally stuff was depressing the hell out of me) but Nathan was really the stand out. Even in Curtis' fantastic episode, Nathan had a really great part in it. It seemed like they were relying on Nathan a lot throughout the series.

Season 2 they really shifted the focus though, and it's also where the show went from good to great. I'm only 3 episodes in, but it's already clear that Simon is really as much of a stand out as Nathan was in season 1. The focus on Alisha is questionable (so far), as she's the weakest character by a fair margin. I definitely think the show can do just as well without Nathan, as long as his replacement is decent.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Conduit for Sale! posted:

The focus on Alisha is questionable (so far), as she's the weakest character by a fair margin.

I felt the same way at first but by the end of series 2 I had done a 180 and really liked her. But yeah, Simon is pretty much the entire point of 2 (if you've seen the third episode you know why).

And my God, episode 6 (I believe) is one of the best hours of any show I have ever seen in my life and that is including The Prisoner. One word: milk.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
City Hunter is a Korean drama that had episodes put up on Hulu a few days ago. I went through all 10 episodes they had up in less than two days.

You need to go watch this show right now. It's about a former Korean soldier who becomes disillusioned with the nation after being betrayed by a group of high-ranking officials. So he raises his son to be his instrument of vengeance, to find out the identities of the group, to hunt them down, and to take them out.

No seriously, WATCH THIS SHOW

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

precision posted:

And my God, episode 6 (I believe) is one of the best hours of any show I have ever seen in my life and that is including The Prisoner. One word: milk.

That's the Christmas Special, episode 7.

And Nathan is the best character on Misfits, sucks to see him go but the rest of the writing is so tight I hope we aren't missing him for too long.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The Duke posted:

That's the Christmas Special, episode 7.

And Nathan is the best character on Misfits, sucks to see him go but the rest of the writing is so tight I hope we aren't missing him for too long.

No it is not. The Christmas Special is the one with the guy who sells powers and he gets the groups and Jesus.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

precision posted:

That particular episode is why I'm not that worried that the quality will decrease just from Nathan leaving: Howard Overman managed to take an old Hugh Denis sketch and turn it into one of the most disturbing super-villains ever written.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

No it is not. The Christmas Special is the one with the guy who sells powers and he gets the groups and Jesus.

My bad :shobon: just marathoned the whole series so it all kind of bled together for me.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The Duke posted:

My bad :shobon: just marathoned the whole series so it all kind of bled together for me.

That is okay they are both awesome episodes

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
OK, I started watching Misfits on recommendation of this thread, and you guys were right. It's pretty darn nifty, and Simon is the best character, but I'm sad Hulu only has 5 episodes up of the show.

Now since I listened to you guys, you should listen to me and watch City Hunter.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Jamesman posted:

OK, I started watching Misfits on recommendation of this thread, and you guys were right. It's pretty darn nifty, and Simon is the best character, but I'm sad Hulu only has 5 episodes up of the show.

Well you should get to finish season 1 tomorrow if they are keeping to their schedule of a putting up a new episode every Monday.

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight

bobkatt013 posted:

Wait it gets worse. As A future teacher season 4 is the worst for me

der juicen posted:

I hope it doesn't sway me from wanting to teach.

It didn't for me. It really put things into perspective. I started bitching at my job a lot less, realized that the kids I work with are fantastic and showed the impact that I have. Yes, I took all of that out of a TV show.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
Yeah I would have said that season really nails the way people feel that teaching can always be a force for good, even the strongest force. Not that it's really feel-good most of the time, being The Wire and all. The commentry tracks on that season are the best.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I just finished watching The Cape.

It was just awful. The actors portraying the bad guys (including the carnival people) were way over the top while the ones playing the good guys were lifeless cardboard cut-outs, especially the kid. Even Summer Glau couldn't save this with her nerd-worshiped hotness.

Avoid this one, folks.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think everyone knew after watching the pilot that it was awful.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Mu Zeta posted:

I think everyone knew after watching the pilot that it was awful.

Yeah, I know, but a lot of shows have bad pilots.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

HanabaL03 posted:

Fringe

I felt the same way about the standalone episodes, but I guess they were limited by what they could do because of Walter Bishop and his lab, so they couldn't just go off to some town in the middle of nowhere and spend the entire episode there like the X-Files.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jamesman posted:

Now since I listened to you guys, you should listen to me and watch City Hunter.

I actually did! I watch a lot of Japanese dramas (Nobuta Wo Produce and the live version of Great Teacher Onizuka are two of the best shows I have ever seen, ever, full stop) but haven't seen many Korean ones because I have a friend who watches a ton of the ones that are basically just "guy and girl awkwardly don't gently caress". I'm really digging City Hunter, though. Have you seen the Korean film Real Fiction? It's amazing.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I'm like halfway through Coupling and it's great but now I have Springtime for Hitler stuck in my head because the main title theme has a really similar melody.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

bobkatt013 posted:

There is also the comment how he thinks that other countries tv is better then Englands.

Hey, I'm from England myself and I just believe television over here hasn't been great for a while. We do have some gems to be fair, such as Luther, The Office, Doctor Who and such but most of the shows I find myself enjoying aren't British. It's not a dig at the country or anything.

As for Misfits, Robert Sheehan is pretty much the only character I enjoy watching.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

tomm posted:

As for Misfits, Robert Sheehan is pretty much the only character I enjoy watching.

I absolutely could not stand him for at least the first several episodes. Seriously, I kept getting pissed off every time he diverted the story by going on some juvenile rant. I ended up liking him, but Simon I liked immediately because he's so obviously an Ian Curtis clone (I mean they even use a Joy Division song in one of his scenes...) Curtis and Kelly are great too, and Alisha becomes great near the end of season 2. I love the supporting cast, especially Sally and the "gives no gently caress" probation officer after her. (Wait, what's the spoiler policy in this thread anyway? I don't think I typed anything that really needs spoiling but I'm pretty confused about how this thread is working.)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nathan is someone I enjoy watching on TV because he's a real entertaining douche but I would not want to know him in real life. Also his mom on the show is Catelyn Stark.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Been watching some episodes of The Good Guys. It's pretty hard not to like that show even though it doesn't really blow me away or make me laugh a ton. It's just a nice show.

Dayewalker
Dec 25, 2002

I drink YOUR milkshake!
I definitely have to agree with all the love for Misfits in this thread. It's a great show all the way around and I can't wait for the new season.

I just finished watching season 5 of Six Feet Under today. The finale is possibly the best finale I've ever seen for any show ever. I had heard that it was an amazing episode, but I honestly had no idea that it would be that incredible. I definitely recommend that everyone watch that show at some point.

I think I'm gonna try to finally make my way through The Shield next. I watched season 1 a few years back, but I never went any further. I'm hoping it lives up to all the great things I've heard about it.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Ugh, I am struggling to get through the home stretch of Six Feet Under sheerly because Nate is such a loving dick. For about three seasons now he's been ruining every good thing that happens to him with unjustified angst.

Edit: Nevermind, that situation fixed itself up right quick.

Eggnogium fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 25, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Archer.

It's REALLY good. I'm not sure why I didn't look it up earlier. Jon Benjamin is the best voice actor, despite only actually ever doing one voice. He somehow manages to adapt it to every character he plays.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
Binging through Flashpoint at the moment. Found it quite by accident and now I have three and a half seasons to plough through. Really enjoying it so far (beginning of season 2).

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

Archer.

It's REALLY good.

It really is. Took a while for my wife to get me to watch it, but now it's one of my favorite shows.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dayewalker posted:

I definitely have to agree with all the love for Misfits in this thread. It's a great show all the way around and I can't wait for the new season.

I got into Misfits because it kept being mentioned in this thread, but I'm afraid the most enjoyable part for me has already come and gone with the first season thanks to them killing off Sally. Now I'm just sad. :(

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
Going through Parks and Recreation. I'm at the beginning of the second season and it's pretty good so far. I initially turned it off after the first couple episodes but it quickly improves after that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Finally getting around to watching Spaced as it's on Hulu and wow, Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg were just brilliant right out of the gate weren't they?

foastwab
Sep 1, 2009

by XyloJW

scr0llwheel posted:

Going through Parks and Recreation. I'm at the beginning of the second season and it's pretty good so far. I initially turned it off after the first couple episodes but it quickly improves after that.
You're in for a treat. I'm a firm believer that Parks & Rec. is the funniest show on television.

To contribute, I'm pretty excited about Mad Men coming to Netflix instant in the next couple days. I've only watched season 1, which I loved.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Welp, finished Six Feet Under. What an incredible show and an incredible ending. The last four episodes were an absolute powerhouse of emotion. Some of my favorite moments:

• Gay paintball!
  • Nate's near death hallucination.
  • David gets abducted.
  • "But Ruth, I live down here now."
  • Billy tries to cut Brenda.

I'd say my only gripe was that infidelity was used too much as a plot device. Every single main character either cheated or was cheated upon, sometimes both, so that by the time Nate slept with Maggie I could only kinda roll my eyes.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

I've been binging through Battlestar Galactica (only got one episode left so I don't dare head over to that thread yet) and it's very much been a mixed bag for me. Liked it at the start, lots of strong characters and I'm impressed that they took risks with the story, but I feel like it should've ended several episodes ago. There's just no tension left for me anymore.

I also never liked how they shoehorned the final five in - after building them up so much, that was disappointing.

Hopefully the extra miniseries will be a bit better.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

jadias posted:

Binging through Flashpoint at the moment. Found it quite by accident and now I have three and a half seasons to plough through. Really enjoying it so far (beginning of season 2).

It's a good show but they try way too hard to tug on heart strings. I appreciate that they're showing the human side of these situations but I can never turn this on without my girlfriend bawling her eyes out. The later seasons they've started to find a better balance between extremes and it does have some very standout episodes though.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

The last couple of days I've been tearing through Breaking Bad. Jesus gently caress this show. The cast are all incredible, the writing is consistently amazing, every couple of episodes something incredibly hosed up happens, just...this loving show.

I'm kind of a hobbyist cinematography nerd and I constantly find myself thinking "Man, that's a sweet shot." or "Look at that framing!" As such all the little bits here and there like when Jesse shoots heroin the first time in season 2 tickle me in just the right way.

I've also been watching the West Wing for the first time, though that's an episode here and there kind of deal. I haven't finished season 1 yet but I like what I see so far, and if I hadn't been punched in the face with the awesome of BB I'd probably be plowing through it right now.

Mr.Graves
Jul 23, 2007

by T. Finn
Powered through both seasons of Eastbound and Down.

Watch

This

loving

Show

Now.

Drop everything you are doing and watch this show. No, you don't even have time to wipe your rear end. Leave your pants around your ankles and fling yourself at wherever you can get it. Every loving episode of Eastbound and Down is golden.

If you like anything about the Will Ferrel/sports idiot/car-crash embarrassing genre of comedy, this show stars Danny McBride as Kenny 'loving' Powers, a washed up ex major league pitcher, and his path trying to earn his way back into the league.

Also, it is HBO. Funniest thing I've seen on television in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Mr.Graves posted:

Powered through both seasons of Eastbound and Down.

Watch

This

loving

Show

Now.

Drop everything you are doing and watch this show. No, you don't even have time to wipe your rear end. Leave your pants around your ankles and fling yourself at wherever you can get it. Every loving episode of Eastbound and Down is golden.

If you like anything about the Will Ferrel/sports idiot/car-crash embarrassing genre of comedy, this show stars Danny McBride as Kenny 'loving' Powers, a washed up ex major league pitcher, and his path trying to earn his way back into the league.

Also, it is HBO. Funniest thing I've seen on television in years.

Yeah, I've been watching East Bound and Down since it first started and have been trying to get people to watch it since. Danny McBride is one of the funniest people alive at the moment.