Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

DrakePegasus posted:

As someone who's never had the luxury of playing 3.5, is this accurate? If so, I think I've switched my choice of class for my first melee character.

Monk/Cleric is seriously under rated (just like Monk/Fighter). Too item dependent, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

DrakePegasus posted:

As someone who's never had the luxury of playing 3.5, is this accurate? If so, I think I've switched my choice of class for my first melee character.

Barbarians are better than fighters, yes, but this comic obviously exaggerates it for dramatic effect. At the end of the day, both classes are "I do a full power attack".

If you want an interesting and good melee, play a fighter/wizard. It's intimidating and it really sucks levels 2-6, but it can really pay off.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Along similar lines, for thematic fun go Sorcerer 4/Fighter 2, grab one of the feats that un-fucks metamagic casting for Sorcerers, the Smiting Spell metamagic feat, and then pretend you're Green Arrow.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Spellswords were always my favorite prestige class for a reason, even if they sucked mechanically.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
The best melee is a Rogue/Fighter/Monk/Pious Templar with the Vow of Poverty. Smack everything to death without wearing a shirt, using any gear or failing any saving throws. It's not very powerful, but it's pretty hilarious.

I am curious to how this is going to move along the plot in any way. V's getting his rear end kicked, Roy's getting his rear end kicked, and Elan is outrunning his impending rear end kicking. I'm guessing maybe they'll have to ask Tarquin for help?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Or Nale could be working with whats his name, the rogue. Or Haley's family know of him. Or any number of other things. Who knows.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Cuchulain posted:

I hope things will start moving in this arc, finally.

The author has been out with illness or work in the intervening weeks, this is hardly fair comment at all.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

terminal mehmet posted:

Monk/Cleric is seriously under rated (just like Monk/Fighter). Too item dependent, I guess.

Thats because the best hybrid Monk Cleric is a Cleric 20 with a buttload of exalted/complete champion feats.

That being said the most awesome monk build was Monk1/Sorceror bunches. Punch spells through fists all day every day.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Nilbop posted:

The author has been out with illness or work in the intervening weeks, this is hardly fair comment at all.

I'm going to be perhaps too generous and say that this could be taken not as "goddamn publish more strips already" but as "the ratio of plot movement to strips has been slow lately".

Probably too generous.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm going to be perhaps too generous and say that this could be taken not as "goddamn publish more strips already" but as "the ratio of plot movement to strips has been slow lately".

Probably too generous.

Plot to strips. I have Crohn's Disease so I'm not a big jerk about Rich not updating. But holy poo poo this whole desert bit has been a loving glacially paced.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Red_Mage posted:

Thats because the best hybrid Monk Cleric is a Cleric 20 with a buttload of exalted/complete champion feats.

That being said the most awesome monk build was Monk1/Sorceror bunches. Punch spells through fists all day every day.

Monk 2/Sorcerer.

Drop fireballs at your own feet all day every day. Explain you like personal space.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

"I cast fireball centered on myself!"

Anyway, as long as you (and the rest of the group) are having fun it doesn't really matter what class you play. :shobon:

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Thanks for the input, everyone! A lot of these ideas sound fun. Still think I'll give Barbarian a shot, though.

Back to the source of this discussion: I really doubt Roy'll croak it, after having a whole book devoted to bringing him back. My money's on another glory-stealing Deus ex Machina.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DrakePegasus posted:

Back to the source of this discussion: I really doubt Roy'll croak it, after having a whole book devoted to bringing him back. My money's on another glory-stealing Deus ex Machina.

Or if he does croak it, it'll be an ironic one strip between death and resurrection, if not on the same page.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

ZeeToo posted:

Monk 2/Sorcerer.

Drop fireballs at your own feet all day every day. Explain you like personal space.

I was always a big fan of firing fireballs at the monk after they ran ahead of everyone. This was fun until my spell level started to catch up with his saving throws. Then he got a little mad.

This entire conversation could be an OotS strip.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

terminal mehmet posted:

I was always a big fan of firing fireballs at the monk after they ran ahead of everyone. This was fun until my spell level started to catch up with his saving throws. Then he got a little mad.

This entire conversation could be an OotS strip.

Pretty sure they already did that one.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Either way I hope this is the last major LG arc. The only good one was the Cliffport/Azure City one

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Cuchulain posted:

Plot to strips. I have Crohn's Disease so I'm not a big jerk about Rich not updating. But holy poo poo this whole desert bit has been a loving glacially paced.

I'm willing to put up with anything that gives me more Tarquin, because Tarquin is the best villain in OOTS.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

People who think this arc is glacially paced are reading it from the perspective of having about one comic a week to one comic a month. Try reading the beginning of this chapter to the current spot in one sitting and you'll find the pace has been fine.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm willing to put up with anything that gives me more Tarquin, because Tarquin is the best villain in OOTS.
You will live and be rewarded.

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm willing to put up with anything that gives me more Tarquin, because Tarquin is the best villain in OOTS anything ever.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Red_Mage posted:

I keep wanting to put together a Monk/Sorcerer for an Eberron campaign, but talk about your MAD. Kalashtar Monk/some sort of psionic class is a good substitute, though.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
All Tarquin is is a Byronic (an)tagonist.

Fortunately Byronic anythings are awesome.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
For anybody reading from early in the thread wondering whether the Erfworld guy really is that creepy, the main Erfworld page is now advertising for something called the The Geeky Kink Event

Yeah.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Red_Mage posted:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Vicissitude posted:

And thus the secret origins of Mr. Huge were revealed to the world.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Edit: Bwuh, how did I post in this thread instead of the generic webcomics one?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Vicissitude posted:

There are actually Sorcerer and Wizard builds in 4e that explicitly gain big boosts to the damage of their spells by having high strength modifiers. The sorcerer builds can even use Strength instead of Dexterity for their AC, because why the hell not?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Just going to show how much 4E owns!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Huh, you know, I never really hated Thog as a villain until this arc. His comedic sociopathy has gotten decidedly less comedic.

Come on, Roy, kick his rear end!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Speedball posted:

Huh, you know, I never really hated Thog as a villain until this arc. His comedic sociopathy has gotten decidedly less comedic.

Maybe you missed where Roy broke his tusk?

Guy deserves whatever happens to him after that.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Speedball posted:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Speedball posted:

Huh? He hasn't even onscreen killed anyone. Or did you fall for Roy's big, dumb speech?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

Huh? He hasn't even onscreen killed anyone. Or did you fall for Roy's big, dumb speech?

Uh, pretty sure he murdered one of the guardian faeries the very first time he showed up, all the while thinking about puppies and ice cream and while she was screaming for him to stop.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0051.html

Yep.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I meant this arc. All of his killing has been done back when he was "enjoyable."

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Cliff Racer posted:

I meant this arc. All of his killing has been done back when he was "enjoyable."

Didn't he also talk about how he killed a whole town full of people or something at the beginning of his match with Roy?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
The point with Thog is once you get past his fearsome exterior you see a mantle of cuddly naivety. But under this cuddly mantle is a core of pure loving psycho rear end in a top hat.

Stop defending Thog, he needs to be gone and Roy needs to kill him.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Doesn't matter, NEW COMIC!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
It's no six foot turkey, but it'll do.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The bird just keeps getting more badass.