Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

literallyincredible
Oct 23, 2008
the one thing that makes me think Aegon might not be fake is that Varys portrays him as legit before he kills Kevan. why lie to a dead man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

literallyincredible posted:

the one thing that makes me think Aegon might not be fake is that Varys portrays him as legit before he kills Kevan. why lie to a dead man?

Yeah, that's also the main reason why I think he is legit. Of course I also think Littlefinger will kill him off pretty quickly, as he would probably make short work of his plans.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

That's the one problem I have with the theory. The only way to explain it is that Illyrio made a 2nd switch with his kid and baby Aegon/baby Aegon died and was replaced. Either way that drifts into absurd territory.

I didn't start reading the series until the TV show started so I'm about to experience for the first time the long wait between books. I need these crack pot theories to pass the time.

Speaking of the TV show I was disappointed that Pycelle was killed. I don't know how much the writers know about the story that we don't know but when they showed that his whole old man routine was just an act it made me think he was up to some scheme of his own. Guess that was just for the TV show and didn't actually impact the story that Martin wanted to tell.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Jon probably slipped into Ghost at the moment of death, like Varamyr explained in the prologue. That's what skinchangers do when they die inside their natural body. However, their presence slowly dies away inside the animal. And Varamyr recognized Jon as a powerful skinchanger/warg, but no real training.

Then Melisandre might revive Jon's old body. Jon can then slip back in, so we get a revival, without the memory loss that Beric Dondarion had. His body still might some holes/scars on it though.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
I think it's the real Aegon, but I also think his one flaw will be his need to prove him self in battle, which will most likely get him killed.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Also, on the list of things I really liked about DWD: Janos Slynt getting shortened by a head.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

It was like the Colosseum in Rome and we were the Christians." - Bobby Dodd, on playing at LSU's Tiger Stadium

Decius posted:

Jon tried to use the Night's Watch to meddle in the affairs of the realm by riding to Winterfell to rescue "Arya" - and he skirted the line already before.
No, he wasn't using the Night's Watch for that. He was sending them to Hardhome and he was going to Winterfell by himself. It was an important distinction that he made, in his mind at least.

Jon's last chapter posted:

“The Night’s Watch takes no part in the wars of the Seven Kingdoms,” Jon reminded them when some semblance of quiet had returned. “It is not for us to oppose the Bastard of Bolton, to avenge Stannis Baratheon, to defend his widow and his daughter. This creature who makes cloaks from the skins of women has sworn to cut my heart out, and I mean to make him answer for those words … but I will not ask my brothers to forswear their vows.
“The Night’s Watch will make for Hardhome. I ride to Winterfell alone, unless …” Jon paused. “… is there any man here who will come stand with me?”
Then a few paragraphs down:

Jon again posted:

Yarwyck and Marsh were slipping out, he saw, and all their men behind them. It made no matter. He did not need them now. He did not want them. No man can ever say I made my brothers break their vows. If this is oathbreaking, the crime is mine and mine alone.

literallyincredible
Oct 23, 2008

quote:

Also, on the list of things I really liked about DWD: Janos Slynt getting shortened by a head.

I think pretty much everyone loved that part. Even the people who didn't much like Dance thought that scene was great.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

How could anyone enjoy the Brann chapters?

He spent, what, 2-3 books getting to the three eyed crow, in some of the most boring chapters ever.

He FINALLY loving gets there, and it's Brynden Rivers. As a tree. With the children of the forest in tow.

Holy poo poo, says I, can't wait to see what happens now.

Absolutely nothing. He hugs a tree. He thinks about daddy. He DOESN'T learn how to use his abilities in an interesting fashion / who the hell the Others are or how to stop them / anything whatsoever of interest. The most pointlessly drawn out "get to the point already" plotline outside Dany's.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Ray_ posted:

I think it might have been the proverbial straw on the camel's (oval office. <3 arya) back.

But think about everything Jon had been doing leading up to him getting the letter: preparing the wall for all out war with the Others. Manning castles, preventing wholesale slaughter and death of the wildlings (thus preventing the creation of wights), borrowing gold to buy food for the winter, sealing partnerships with the wildlings to use them as a fighting force, and going so far man an entire castle with spear wives. Then one letter from a psycho bastard makes him go crazy? And that just happens to coincide with the Wun Wun killing some knight? And there's a relatively organized murder attempt/mutiny from Marsh and his gang?

It was one of the few times in the book I thought had a climax that was almost unrelated to the events before it. Or maybe it just struck me as "false" for some reason. I dunno.

I also agree that it was pretty Marsh & Co to attack after he had let a few thousand Wildlings through. What are they gonna do now? Politely ask that they march back through the Wall in an orderly fashion?

Some other notes:

I love Dolorous Edd. :D I'll take a mini series chronicling his adventures before the wall any day.

Jon's reaction to the bear warg that came through the gates puzzled me. "Imma let that dude and his bear chill out over there, but I'm gonna lock up my right-hand wolf and not let him out of my chambers." Say wha? That dude would have gotten sent on to a different castle immediately.

I might need to go back and read the Bran chapters again, as I had no idea that the three eyed crow was Bloodraven, and even if I did I had forgotten that there was a dude named Bloodraven with a backstory. According to the wiki, he ended up as a Lord Commander for a time, was it explained how he got from there to being molested by a weirwood?

I can see Aegon being totally legit, and totally murdered before the end of the next book. He's too "perfect" to survive and rule in Westeros. Speaking of, Tyrion mentions that Aegon "took the bait" when he hears that Aegon is headed towards Westeros. Tyrion's plan sounded way better than what Aegon was gonna do originally, so I wonder what he thinks is flawed about it.

literallyincredible
Oct 23, 2008
John Scalzi (who I've actually never read) has a post with some perspective on Dance.

quote:

George Martin’s previous novel, A Feast for Crows, came out in 2005, the same year as my novel Old Man’s War. Since OMW, I have written The Ghost Brigades, The Last Colony, Zoe’s Tale, Fuzzy Nation, and my upcoming 2012 novel (Agent to the Stars and The Android’s Dream were written prior to 2005). Martin’s written A Dance With Dragons. So I get credited with being reasonably prolific whilst Martin gets slammed by the more poorly socialized members of his fan base for slacking about.

The Ghost Brigades is about 95,000 words. So is The Last Colony. Zoe’s Tale is about 90,000. Fuzzy Nation and the 2012 novel are about 80,000. Add all those up, and I’ve written roughly 440,000 words worth of novels since 2005. A Dance With Dragons, so I am told, clocks in at 416,000 words. So, in terms of total novel words written for publication since 2005 (and omitting excised material), there’s a 5.5% difference between the amount that I have written for novels and what Martin has. If we’re talking about the actual words published, written since 2005, there’s a 13.5% difference — in Martin’s favor, because my 2012 novel won’t be published until, well, 2012.

Shorter version: During those years the unsocialized were snarling at Martin for being lazy or procrastinating or indolent or whatever, he wrote about as many words for novels as I had. By this superficial but easy-to-quantify metric, on the novel front he was as productive as I was, and most people seem to agree that I’ve been pretty productive these last six years. I just spread my words around five novels while he poured all of his into one.

Yes, but — some of you are about to say. To which I say, yes but what? Martin should have been releasing the story in smaller chunks? Well, and if he did, how much crap would he have gotten for milking his fanbase and releasing books that weren’t sufficiently complete as stories in themselves? The publisher should have sat on him to write faster? To what end? So he could have sold more books? Look, I’m a New York Times bestselling author and I sell perfectly well, thanks for asking, and by the end of its first week of sales, it’s entirely likely A Dance With Dragons will sell more hardcover copies in the US than I have sold of all my novels, in every printed format, since Old Man’s War came out in 2005. How many more books can one human reasonably be expected to sell? Waiting six years and releasing a novel large enough to herniate small human works just fine for Martin. His publisher would be foolish to mess with that. And so on. Any “yes, but –” argument one can make can be refuted on entirely practical terms.

In the end it comes to this: Why did it take six years for A Dance With Dragons to come out? Because that’s how long it took. Martin wasn’t being lazy, any more than I or any other author lucky enough to be regularly published these days has been. One hopes that those who are already primed to bitch at Martin about why The Winds of Winter isn’t instantly on their shelves will keep this in mind. Martin’s writing as much as anyone. He’s just writing big.

I'm an editor for Random House (though a different imprint than publishes Gurm). Generally, when we sign up an author for a new novel that has yet to be written, we plan for a schedule of one year to write a 100,000 word novel, but it is not at *all* uncommon for authors to end up needing more time than that. *Nobody* would bat an eye at an author taking a year and a half to write 100,000 words.

Well, 4*1.5 years=6 years, for 400,000 words, or pretty much exactly the pace Martin wrote Dance at (yes, yes, I'm aware he already had some material left over from Feast, but nobody but Martin and his editor knows how much of that ended up making it into Dance--it seems clear that there was a *lot* of rewriting in the process).

The crazy thing isn't that Dance took as long as it did, its that he cranked out Clash and Storm at a pace that most authors would consider impossibly fast. If Martin's pace makes him "lazy", then the majority of authors are just as "lazy".

So, I'm not at all angry at Martin for taking as long as he did, and I suspect his editor isn't either, though I don't know her personally.

What *does* worry me though is that, while Martin may have written this book at roughly the same pace most authors write at...

Most authors aren't obese 60+ year old men with 50,000 chekhov's guns to resolve. I'm not mad at the dude, but I am pretty loving worried he's gonna die before we get to see what happens.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Can someone explain the whole Lady Lemore = Ashara Dayne? I thought Dayne threw herself from a tower, that seems like a death that would have many witnesses. Is there any evidence that Lemore is Dayne and not who she says she is?

Also, as far as the coin Arya gave the guy, I just assumed it's magic. These guys can put faces of dead people on other people, nothing says they can't have special coins that kill people.

Diving Buttress
Aug 20, 2002

oh jesus christ

EC posted:

I can see Aegon being totally legit, and totally murdered before the end of the next book. He's too "perfect" to survive and rule in Westeros. Speaking of, Tyrion mentions that Aegon "took the bait" when he hears that Aegon is headed towards Westeros. Tyrion's plan sounded way better than what Aegon was gonna do originally, so I wonder what he thinks is flawed about it.

Yeah, I want to believe Aegon is the real thing but I think he'll die tragically in some way if he is.

I get the making of Varys and Illyrio's plot: Raise Aegon to be king in secret. Use Viserys and his secret marriage pact with Arianne of Dorne, and marry Daenerys to Khal Drogo. When the time comes, they'll have the Dothraki and Dorne's army to retake the throne for Aegon. Only problem is the whole "raising Aegon in secret" thing. Did they expect Viserys to just quietly stand aside when he's believed all this life that he's the heir? Even if he didn't turn out batshit crazy, he'd still be a little upset.

Varys's little speech about "Aegon knows kingship is his duty, while Tommen believes it's his right" got me thinking. Does Daenerys believe it's her right or her duty to sit on the Iron Throne? Maybe she's not supposed to retake Westeros at all, and she'll resurrect Valyrian civilization or something.

Regarding Bran:

I thought the chapters were slow, and kinda depressing. Kid becomes a cripple and is now destined to live in a cave by himself? When he's watching the world through the weirwood network, he's able to see things that happened in the past because the time moves slower for the weirwoods. Maybe the truth of Jon's parentage will be revealed through Bran's eyes (IF the theories are true and Jon isn't just Ned Stark's bastard after all).

kazil posted:

Can someone explain the whole Lady Lemore = Ashara Dayne? I thought Dayne threw herself from a tower, that seems like a death that would have many witnesses. Is there any evidence that Lemore is Dayne and not who she says she is?

They said Ashara's body was never found. Lemore's also very beautiful for her age. GRRM hasn't mentioned her eye color, though, which would give it away (Ashara had purple eyes and fair hair).

literallyincredible
Oct 23, 2008

quote:

Also, as far as the coin Arya gave the guy, I just assumed it's magic. These guys can put faces of dead people on other people, nothing says they can't have special coins that kill people.

I think there was just poison on it, since such a point was made of how he bits the coins.

One definite theme in these books seems to be that, while magic exists, most practitioners combine it with mundane techniques to seem more powerful than they are. Like, faceless men can change faces, but driving Weese's dog crazy was obviously just a poison mentioned in Feast. Melisandre does have some powers, but she uses trickery and an enigmatic persona to seem much more powerful/knowledgeable than she is.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

It was like the Colosseum in Rome and we were the Christians." - Bobby Dodd, on playing at LSU's Tiger Stadium

EC posted:

But think about everything Jon had been doing leading up to him getting the letter: preparing the wall for all out war with the Others. Manning castles, preventing wholesale slaughter and death of the wildlings (thus preventing the creation of wights), borrowing gold to buy food for the winter, sealing partnerships with the wildlings to use them as a fighting force, and going so far man an entire castle with spear wives. Then one letter from a psycho bastard makes him go crazy?

Again, I think the key is Arya. He thinks she's out there all alone in the wilderness, being hunted by a loving psychopath who flays women, and she's relatively close to where he's at. He can save her.

It's not about revenge or the threat Ramsay made to cut out his heart or even about rescuing Mance. It might be all of those things for the wildlings, but not for Jon Snow.

Look at the speech he made to get the wildlings to pledge him their swords. He doesn't even mention Arya in it. Yet look at his thoughts right after reading the letter:

Jon posted:

Jon flexed the fingers of his sword hand. The Night’s Watch takes no part. He closed his fist and opened it again. What you propose is nothing less than treason. He thought of Robb, with snowflakes melting in his hair. Kill the boy and let the man be born. He thought of Bran, clambering up a tower wall, agile as a monkey. Of Rickon’s breathless laughter. Of Sansa, brushing out Lady’s coat and singing to herself. You know nothing, Jon Snow. He thought of Arya, her hair as tangled as a bird’s nest. I made him a warm cloak from the skins of the six whores who came with him to Winterfell … I want my bride back … I want my bride back … I want my bride back …
“I think we had best change the plan,” Jon Snow said.
They talked for the best part of two hours.

It seems obvious to me. He's reflecting on all of his brothers and sisters that he's lost. Every single one is dead, as far as he knows, except Sansa who's disappeared and may be dead. Now Arya - the one he was closest to, probably - has re-appeared after he thought she'd been dead for a few years (give or take), and she's in desperate need of him. Look at the last thought he has - repeating Ramsay's words over and over again. He can't let her be captured by Ramsay.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

kazil posted:

Part of her training is making poisons while she's blind, and I believe the kindly man pretty much confirms it's poison after Arya murders the dude.

Diving Buttress posted:

I get the making of Varys and Illyrio's plot: Raise Aegon to be king in secret. Use Viserys and his secret marriage pact with Arianne of Dorne, and marry Daenerys to Khal Drogo. When the time comes, they'll have the Dothraki and Dorne's army to retake the throne for Aegon. Only problem is the whole "raising Aegon in secret" thing. Did they expect Viserys to just quietly stand aside when he's believed all this life that he's the heir? Even if he didn't turn out batshit crazy, he'd still be a little upset.

I saw this as more Varys and Illyrio hedging their bets than anything else. There was no guarantee that any of the Targs they managed to slip out during the rebellion were actually going to survive. Why not double down? It's almost the exact same thing with Bran and Rickon, now that I think about it.

quote:

Varys's little speech about "Aegon knows kingship is his duty, while Tommen believes it's his right" got me thinking. Does Daenerys believe it's her right or her duty to sit on the Iron Throne? Maybe she's not supposed to retake Westeros at all, and she'll resurrect Valyrian civilization or something.

It seems to me that she views it as a right. The language she uses comes directly from Viserys (The Usurper, pretenders to the throne, rightful heir, my throne, etc) and I don't think she has a good concept of "duty" yet, at least as to how it would relate to her ruling Westeros.

Thinking way way way too much about this stuff. Think I'm gonna go outside or something.

Edit: not yet though!

Ray_ posted:

It seems obvious to me. He's reflecting on all of his brothers and sisters that he's lost. Every single one is dead, as far as he knows, except Sansa who's disappeared and may be dead. Now Arya - the one he was closest to, probably - has re-appeared after he thought she'd been dead for a few years (give or take), and she's in desperate need of him. Look at the last thought he has - repeating Ramsay's words over and over again. He can't let her be captured by Ramsay.

I'll come over to your side of thinking on this one, I suppose. Jon's an emotional guy, who has spent the latest part of his life seeing people he loves brutally murdered and trying to save a land that doesn't particularly care to be saved. It still seems a bit...crazy, though, even given the circumstances. (:highfive: on the LSU av, by the way)

EC fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 17, 2011

literallyincredible
Oct 23, 2008
I'm not sure the right/duty stuff means much anyway. Stannis thinks of ruling as a duty, and he's an uncharismatic tool who everyone hates. I mean, I love the dude as a character, but its clear that being a good king is more than just having the right perspective.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Diving Buttress posted:

Daenerys believes that it's her right to rule Westeros and her duty to rule Meereen.

e; People would probably hate him while he ruled, but Stannis would make an excellent king :colbert: (until he's killed by some powerful noble he scorned that is)

Kainser fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 17, 2011

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I don't think Stannis would last a year before some House or the other rebelled against him. As the books say, he just doesn't inspire loyalty the way Robert did.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Stannis thinks of ruling as a duty, and he's an uncharismatic tool who everyone hates.

Actually, given that Stannis is an utter dick, I wonder how he gets the most loyal people in the realm. Cressen drank poison trying to save Stannis from Melisandre, and then there's Davos.

literallyincredible
Oct 23, 2008

quote:

Actually, given that Stannis is an utter dick, I wonder how he gets the most loyal people in the realm. Cressen drank poison trying to save Stannis from Melisandre, and then there's Davos.

Cressen raised him up from a sensitive kid who got overshadowed by his brothers, and he made Davos a knight (and later a lord) and he sticks to principles in a way Davos respects. Melisandre has deluded herself regarding her prophecies.

Nobody else is especially loyal to Stannis.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Hemp Knight posted:

He's nice to people who are loyal to him and follows the law. No other current claimant to the throne would even consider making someone like Davos Lord and Hand.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

kazil posted:

Gonna quote myself from earlier in the thread:

Ray_ posted:

Hmm, dirty old man Barristan the Bold was in freakin love with Ashara Dayne. He thinks she killed herself out of grief for the stillborn daughter she lost and perhaps for Ned.
Looking as if Ned maybe DID father a bastard, but she was stillborn.

Lady Lemore is Ashara Dayne. Has to be. It makes too much drat sense.
Connington faked his death in order to raise Aegon, and Ashara did the same thing.
She's still beautiful despite being older, description puts her right about Ned's age it sounds like.
She's got old stretch marks from having a baby - a stillborn daughter, perhaps?
She's referred to as "Lady" Lemore and not as Septa. That's a very specific honorific for Westerosi.

Rhaegar's really close friend as a surrogate father for his son.
Elia's really close friend as a surrogate mother for her son.

The only thing holding it back from 100% is that, near as I can tell, there's no description of Lady Lemore's hair/eye coloring.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Maybe Aegon is Eddard's and Ashara's bastard :v:

Kainser fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 17, 2011

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Well Tyrion calls Lemore more handsome than pretty.
Connington didn't so much fake his death as he left his life behind and people assumed he was dead. Ashara supposedly flung herself from a tower, didn't she?
Tyrion marks her past 40. Wasn't Ned mid-30s? I couldn't off on that, been a while since I read AGoT.
Referring to her as lady could be a courtesy or even a joke.
Ser Rolly Duckfield seems to be exactly who he claims to be, just some dude that Connington knighted.

Just seems really hokey to me, though. All these people that were dead keep turning up. He can make interesting characters without having to resort to dead ones from 20 years 15 years ago.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Something about Davos's character has always rubbed me kind of weird. How does a smuggler become this principled, and principled enough to just accept Stannis chopping off his fingers and love him for it?

Becoming a knight just seems like a rather paltry reward for inspiring this much loyalty.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Diving Buttress posted:

They said Ashara's body was never found. Lemore's also very beautiful for her age. GRRM hasn't mentioned her eye color, though, which would give it away (Ashara had purple eyes and fair hair).

Dark hair, actually. According to Barristan.

EC posted:

I'll come over to your side of thinking on this one, I suppose. Jon's an emotional guy, who has spent the latest part of his life seeing people he loves brutally murdered and trying to save a land that doesn't particularly care to be saved. It still seems a bit...crazy, though, even given the circumstances. (:highfive: on the LSU av, by the way)
The whole way it all went down seemed crazy. What was with the giant killing Ser Patrek? Wonder if it had to do with Seleyse arranging Val's marriage to him?

Jon intentionally made it sound like it was about vengeance and justice and stuff to get the wildlings to go along with it. I think the fact that he presented it that way in his speech has got readers confused and thinking what he said in his speech were his true motivations. Even though he never came out and said to himself, "I'm going to go save my sister," the internal thoughts he had right after reading the letter points directly to it.

Hell yes, a fellow LSU fan?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

kazil posted:

There was a whole section in the Blind Girl chapter about Arya learning how to make poisons. The whole deal with the House of Black and White is that it's filled with pools of poison. It was previously established that the target bites every single coin that passes through his hands. She poisoned the coin.

Rap Guy
Oct 21, 2006

Watch yo shit fall like Rome; I'm immune to all viruses

I get that cocaine; it cleans out my sinuses

Brannock posted:

Something about Davos's character has always rubbed me kind of weird. How does a smuggler become this principled, and principled enough to just accept Stannis chopping off his fingers and love him for it?

Becoming a knight just seems like a rather paltry reward for inspiring this much loyalty.

Knighthood isn't a meaningless courtesy, it bestows very real financial and social advantages, especially for someone born a commoner. Davos' loyalty to Stannis makes complete sense

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Brannock posted:

He was also rewarded with a keep and some land on Cape Wrath. His wife and children were basically set for life after those rewards from Stannis.

It wasn't just an empty knighthood like what Bronn was rewarded with.

e; in addition to becoming Stannis' most trusted advisor and having one of his sons become Stannis' squire. Davos didn't lack for rewards.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 17, 2011

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I wonder if Marwyn is going to get a PoV in TWoW. Christ there's so many concurrent plots running in this series. How the hell does he keep track of them?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I guess I kind of expected Davos to be more like Salladhor Saan, Aurane Waters, or Nimble Dick - somewhat unscrupulous. We never really get to find out why he's super principled despite being raised as a smuggler from boyhood.

The loyalty I can understand after remembering the rewards, yeah.

literallyincredible
Oct 23, 2008

quote:

I wonder if Marwyn is going to get a PoV in TWoW. Christ there's so many concurrent plots running in this series. How the hell does he keep track of them?

on my reread of the series I was kinda shocked how much Marwyn gets mentioned. Its also notable that *every* person who cites him as a mentor is an evil gently caress who uses horrible necromancy and blood magic. I'm 100% positive he's set to be a villainous figure.

literallyincredible fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 17, 2011

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

Brannock posted:

I think his reflections on his sons were what sold it to me. His pride that his sons were captains of ships, a squire to a king, that they were learning to read. Davos was no one until Stannis made him something. Look at how lovely the commoners have it and think how much it means to Davos that not only was he and his family raised above it, but that the King would listen to his advice and respect him.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
The guy who bought Tyrion and Penny... after he was described as obese, lying down, and dressed in a yellow tokar, I started picturing him as hedonismbot from Futurama. Like, for the entire rest of the novel. It was hedonismbot screwing a hermaphrodite, hedonismbot crapping himself to death... and I could not get the image out of my head because it just made so much damned sense.

Please tell me I wasn't the only one.

Rednik
Apr 10, 2005

on my reread of the series I was kinda shocked how much Marwyn gets mentioned. Its also notable that *every* person who cites him as a mentor is an evil gently caress who uses horrible necromancy and blood magic. I'm 100% positive he's set to be a villainous figure.

I think he's unorthodox but I doubt he's evil. Qyburn lost his chain because of what he did on his own, Marwyn still ranks as an Archmaester in the eyes of the Citadel. He may have extensive knowledge of physiology but I trust he got it all from dissections.

Likewise, he taught Mirri Maz Duar how to heal--a skill that she used for decades to keep her village healthy and happy. She's not evil.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ray_ posted:

The whole way it all went down seemed crazy. What was with the giant killing Ser Patrek? Wonder if it had to do with Seleyse arranging Val's marriage to him?

Probably he was taking everyone's advice and trying to "steal" her, not realizing that it wasn't just a formality and that there would be a giant on guard duty.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

I actually felt kind of sorry for Cersei in this book. Probably a combination of the poo poo she went through, and the fact that we were dealing with much worse people like Ramsay for most of the time.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Ser Patrek of King's Mountain (named after a Football blogger named Pat who lives in Montreal "Mont Royal") is an insert character added when he won a bet against GRRM. Pat's favourite team is the Dallas Cowboys (hence Patrek's colours of blue, white and silver with a five pointed star) and he's been eager to see how he would die in the books.

Well, GRRM is a NY Giants fan.

showbiz_liz posted:

The guy who bought Tyrion and Penny... after he was described as obese, lying down, and dressed in a yellow tokar, I started picturing him as hedonismbot from Futurama. Like, for the entire rest of the novel. It was hedonismbot screwing a hermaphrodite, hedonismbot crapping himself to death... and I could not get the image out of my head because it just made so much damned sense.

Please tell me I wasn't the only one.

Yeah I thought this too and it made Tyrion chapters far more bearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Ray_ posted:

No, he wasn't using the Night's Watch for that. He was sending them to Hardhome and he was going to Winterfell by himself. It was an important distinction that he made, in his mind at least.

Then a few paragraphs down:

Jon might have deluded himself into "it's just me", but that doesn't mean the others see it the same way. He is the Lord Commander after all, and even if he alienated a lot of people he also has people who follow him (even if he sent many of them away).

Caesar might really have had the notion to give back his power as Dictator after he "fixed" the Roman Republic, but that didn't stop the Senators from stabbing him because they feared he would make himself king.