Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

fount of knowledge posted:

Just like real life/movies, then! :v:

OT, but my #1 beef with Evil Genius is that it takes a great idea - Play Dungeon Keeper But As A Bond Villain instead Of Sauron - and keeps all of the Incompetent James Bond Villain Cliches intact for you to have to deal with.

While it utterly breaks the difficulty of the game, I've found that adjusting Super Agent health to extremely low levels gives the game a strong "James Bond is powerful only when his enemy is an idiot" vibe that I find fits the game well. In an unmodded game, the Rambo-inspired Super Agent kills hoards of minions, just like the Rambo films. In my own modded game, that steroid-infused grunt is shot from behind with a hidden machine gun, falls down confused, wakes up, takes a few steps before being shot again, falls down again, in an endless loop till he goes home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

I always carve out a large barracks and vault, send a ton of minions to steal, and watch a movie or two whilst the cash flows in. It's a far easier game to manage if you're sitting on a few million dollars, rather than having to do so later.

In my opinion, if you're going to do that, you might as well just cheat yourself some money. The game has bona fide cheat codes and one of them dumps a bunch of money in your vault at your command. Making money is one of the more aggravating parts of Evil Genius, I've always found, I've always had a lot more fun with it when I just used the cheat code to give myself infinite money and focused solely on base building and world dominating.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

S-Alpha posted:

Front Mission: Evolved
I only got it recently myself, but I've picked up on a couple things.

-There is no problem which dual missile launchers can not solve.
-When faced with multiple types of enemies, break line of sight with snipers and ballistic wanzers first. Let the melee wanzers come to you behind cover and demolish them with a shotgun or melee weapon.
-The above seems to go for bosses too. Hit EDGE as soon as it's over 75% and cut loose with everything at once on a single target.
-I started using repair backpacks as soon as they became available, but agility seems like it would be better on harder difficulties. You're a total slug without the ability to skate in any direction. Maybe multiplayer is a different story. I don't know.

Progressless
Apr 10, 2010
Anything helpful with the original Deus Ex? I remember playing it years ago just after the tutorial and quitting at the mission on the pier, I found it too confusing to move on from there.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Progressless posted:

Anything helpful with the original Deus Ex? I remember playing it years ago just after the tutorial and quitting at the mission on the pier, I found it too confusing to move on from there.
I think this covers most of it. What it doesn't say, though, is that exploring doesn't just reveal new areas and characters, but typically rewards you with XP and items as well. There's a bunch of augmentation upgrades, for example - highly valuable, those - that you'll only find if you do a good deal of exploring.

As for the first mission, you basically want to get inside the building beneath the Statue of Liberty and work your way up top (you can actually get most of the way there by climbing up from the outside, but you'll miss out on some items etc. and a neat bit of dialogue).

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Re: MAG

The real problem with Raven (and Valor) isn't so much their gear as their pubbies -- as someone put it on the MAG thread, everyone who knows what they're doing figured out that everyone else who knows what they're doing... works for Team SVER.

Supposedly Raven's weapons have a slight inherent accuracy advantage, Valor's are in the middle and SVER's have a slight inherent damage advantage, but the factions do have differing shotguns (hint: Valor's has the most ammo at 10, SVER's has 9, Raven's has 8). Also, Raven has the "smallest" Reflex Sight in terms of sight picture, though supposedly the most accurate in the sense of having the smallest/thinnest reticle. (SVER's is akin to the CoD4 Red Dot Sight but circular, while Valor's is the MW2/MW3 Holographic Sight.)

Here's my personal loadouts; all have a medikit and a pistol, plus relatively light armor and a frag grenade except when specified:

1. Tamsen Mk2 (DLC assault rifle), poison gas
2. AGVK (third-tier sniper rifle)
3. Ariet SFW (DLC machine gun), RPG-7 (? it's the first-tier launcher)
4. AK-74U (first-tier assault rifle), Repair Kit
5. T-195 (shotgun), poison gas, Steel Reinforced Ballistic Vest (first-tier heavy armor)

The first loadout is a bit "general purpose," the fifth is more for "objectives fighting" (i.e. holing up at the objective), the third is for when I need to, the fourth is for bringing assets and structures back up, and the sniping kit is basically for loving around.

Hint: DON'T BE A SNIPER.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 17, 2011

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Alright, here's a tough one. I'm getting ready to start Shin Megami Tensei I & II for the SNES with the Aeon Genesis patch. I've played most of the newer SMT games, so I'm not going in to the series blind, but anyone have tips for these in particular?

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

WarringPhoenix posted:

Also, can anyone give me any tips on Elona? The rougelike, not the flash game in which I shoot animals for hours.

There is a wiki available which goes into depth on a lot of things you might want to know. In terms of general advice:

- The easiest start is probably a Yerles Archer. Ranged combat is very useful, and the Cyber Dome near the start has two firearm shops and a Mani of Machine altar.

- Platinum medals should be spent on unlocking skills first and only spent on boosting skills when their natural potential starts running out. Skill points in turn should only be spent when skills and potentials start taking large amounts of platinum to boost.

- Weight Lifting, Sense Quality, Anatomy, Literacy, Negotiation, and your combat multiplier skill (Two Hand, Dual Wield, Marksman, etc.). Any of those skills you didn't start with should be purchased ASAP before anything else.

- Other useful skills are Gardening (easy stat boost from harvest missions), Performer ("easy" platinum from parties) and Gene Engineer (produces insane pets). But hold off on those until you have the above and any other skills you feel are needed for combat survival.

- The little girl is the best starting "pet" as she has the most slots for equipment. If you need more assistance, other human pets can be purchased from the slave market in Derphy.

- Leashes and stethoscopes can be applied once to keep your pets nearby and keep track of their health, then dropped to free up space.

- Bed quality determines dreams quality, so always sleep in the best bed you can. I personally also recommend the Exorcist feat, as this provides justification for when you inevitably save-scum to avoid Cursed Whisperings dooming all of your gear for no reason.

- Static maps (towns and fixed dungeons) contain small medals, which are found by searching any square that shows a *twinkle* (searching also shows a different message if there's one nearby). Small medals can also be found in treasure chests and safes. These medals can be turned in at the workshop on the far right side of the map for different things, the most important of which are the unique artifacts, the potion of Hermes' Blood (boosts speed - bless before drinking!), and eventually the Void Explorer's License, which opens the absurd bonus dungeon.

- In terms of common mistakes: The bar in Vernis, the first town, contains two things: a piano, and <Loyter> Crimson of Zanan, a very high-level NPC who is noted for specializing in throwing weapons and hating music. Performing there (or at any party he shows up at) is basically instantly fatal. On the plus, that means free items when he murders every bard who tries to approach the piano!

- I should note that he gets away with this because no one cares when you kill bards. Or <Gwen> the Innocent for that matter. Feel free to murder her every time you enter Yowyn and then fill your museum with countless copies of her statue and card, and your fridge with countless copies of her corpse.

- Vernis also contains <Whom dwell in the vanity>, the second-highest level neutral NPC in the game. He wields <Ragnarok>, a unique sword with the special quality * It brings an end. It does exactly the same thing here that it does in the flash game. Never, ever, ever let him get into combat for any reason.

- Wait to gamble until you get a Lucky Day, then get as many 4-5 win blackjack streaks as you can. Stopping there almost guarantees a potion of cure corruption, which are more valuable than the equipment it gives you at higher wins (exception: wings, because those are stupidly overpriced/valued).

- The well near the church in Noyel is a holy well, which refills at a slow natural rate that cannot be accelerated and has a much higher chance of giving potentials increases and wishes. It, of course, also still has a chance of just swallowing your pets when they steal a drink, so maybe save-scum here a little bit.

- If your treasure map shows nothing but snow, congratulations, the game hates you.

Nick Buntline fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 17, 2011

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

So I've searched through the thread and looked on the wiki, anyone got any tips on Ys 7? Specifically anything missable.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Luminaflare posted:

So I've searched through the thread and looked on the wiki, anyone got any tips on Ys 7? Specifically anything missable.
Don't sell off a weapon until you've gotten the skills on it leveled up to 1 at least (because then you can unequip the weapon but still use the skill).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Agnostalgia posted:

Alright, here's a tough one. I'm getting ready to start Shin Megami Tensei I & II for the SNES with the Aeon Genesis patch. I've played most of the newer SMT games, so I'm not going in to the series blind, but anyone have tips for these in particular?

Your demons don't level up. This takes away any pretense of hanging onto them until you get some desirable spell on them. However, there's no compendium in 1 or 2, so you'll have to remember how you got them, and there's still no excuse for leaving holes in your lineup, even if you really want more powerful demons.

Also there's limits on what demons you can acquire based on your alignment. Law PCs can't get Chaos demons, and the reverse is true for Chaos. Anyone can get neutral demons and neutral PCs can get any demons. (This is more restrictive than the limits in Strange Journey; on the other hand the fusion system is a lot more complex, especially in 2, so don't consider it an absolute dealbreaker.)

New Moon isn't a thing to worry about, except for spell durations. Full Moon can still screw with summons and negotiation. I don't remember if it's possible to negotiate under ANY circumstances with demons during the full moon (like if you're cursed or something).

More for other players, since you probably know this already, but: Unlike most RPGs, status effects and buff/nerf spells are devastatingly effective - for both you AND them.

Same goes for instant death spells. You should try to be strong to holy and curse attributes, and you should never allow yourself to be weak to them unless you know you'll have a chance to switch back before the next time they show up. (So pretty much never be weak after ... well, you'll know when.)

And charm spells. In fact, there's a point where you can buy bullets for guns that charm people. And then use them on a multi- or everyone-target gun. And there aren't a lot of charm-resistant demons or bosses, although there are some that are resistant or even immune to gunfire - but the strategy works as well with spells and swords. So despite all the caveats, this is commonly referred to as "Shin Megami Tensei is Over".

On that note, the patch for 1 is glitched such that you never get the chance to buy guns. You may have to take your save to the unpatched game for a moment before leaving the starting town and unlock the gunantique shop there.

The patch for 1 is ALSO glitched in that your alignment slowly creeps toward the chaotic over time (at a rate of 1/65535 of the bar per step) regardless of what you do. Even after your alignment is supposedly set in stone extremely late in the game - trust me, you'll know when. This can effectively break a run at a neutral ending, since it needs to be between 7000h and 8FFFh to count as neutral, and the plot triggers check at trigger time, not on what you had when alignments were fixed. Needless to say, you want to be just the neutral side of law (7000h) if you're going for it.

Yeah, don't expect a fix for the SMT1 patch.

You can tell what your alignment is by looking at your icon on the world map - clockwise is law, CCW is chaos, bobbling is neutral. If you're going for the neutral ending, I doubt anyone would question your victory if the only thing you cheated up was a more precise alignment meter.

There's less inventory space. Fewer items and fewer multiples of each. Keep it in mind.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 17, 2011

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Thanks! Although hearing about the glitches has lessened my enthusiasm greatly. Maybe I'll skip to the sequel.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Those Evil Genius tips were good but I'd say another important thing is too not do any missions with trophies as rewards until after you go to the second island. Either that or when you get to the second island make sure you put all the trophies together where you can guard them until you have your new base set up. Otherwise if you have any heat at all you'll have thieves walking around stealing the stuff you're minions have left all over the staging area and I don't think there's anyway to get that poo poo back once they get away.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

thebardyspoon posted:

Those Evil Genius tips were good but I'd say another important thing is too not do any missions with trophies as rewards until after you go to the second island. Either that or when you get to the second island make sure you put all the trophies together where you can guard them until you have your new base set up. Otherwise if you have any heat at all you'll have thieves walking around stealing the stuff you're minions have left all over the staging area and I don't think there's anyway to get that poo poo back once they get away.

The only exception is the Totem Pole. If it isn't assembled by the time you leave island 1, welp.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Progressless posted:

Use Biomod. I cannot stress this enough.

Some people will tell you that should play the game through vanilla first. These people have probably been playing Biomod for years and have forgotten how aggravating aug management can be in vanilla.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Any tips for Mass Effect 2, specifically for someone who is absolute poo poo at shooting? (Yes, I've checked the wiki.) I only survived Fallout 3 via VATS abuse, Alpha Protocol would have been horrible without lining up insta-kill crits from behind cover, and I'm currently trying to work my way through Borderlands and Bulletstorm on easy. I am not very good at shooting things, having grown up solely on strategy, RPG, and platforming sort of games.

I'm thinking of being Biotic or one of the biotic hybrids so I can force push things and give no fucks and leave the shooting to my party members.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Any tips for Mass Effect 2, specifically for someone who is absolute poo poo at shooting? I only survived Fallout 3 via VATS abuse, Alpha Protocol would have been horrible without lining up insta-kill crits from behind cover, and I'm currently trying to work my way through Borderlands and Bulletstorm on easy. I am not very good at shooting things, having grown up solely on strategy, RPG, and platforming sort of games.

I'm thinking of being Biotic or one of the biotic hybrids so I can force push things and give no fucks and leave the shooting to my party members.

I played through as a Sentinel which was a little tough at first but a total beast midway through. You have a long range attack that bends around corners, an instant shield killer, and an ability that restores shields instantly and explodes if the shields are lost. I ended up reaching a point where I just stopped using my guns and blasted everyone in sight because the cool-down time was something like 1.5 seconds. On normal mode my shields were so high I could run up and punch out loving krogan. On easy you should be just fine with any class but I think sentinel is the perfect combination of hanging back and taking pot shots where necessary.

General tips universal to all plays:

-Research Miranda's ship suggestion as soon as possible to make planet scanning less of a hassle.

-About midway you'll be given the choice of taking a weapon. Select a weapon you can't use and you'll gain proficiency in it or else you'll receive a sort of "ultimate weapon" if you pick one you're skilled in.

-Don't start the "IFF" mission until you've finished everything. After completing it you can do two quests before bad stuff starts to happen. Activating the character you get counts as one of them so if you're smart you'll do that character's loyalty mission and proceed to the end game.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Any tips for Mass Effect 2, specifically for someone who is absolute poo poo at shooting? (Yes, I've checked the wiki.) I only survived Fallout 3 via VATS abuse, Alpha Protocol would have been horrible without lining up insta-kill crits from behind cover, and I'm currently trying to work my way through Borderlands and Bulletstorm on easy. I am not very good at shooting things, having grown up solely on strategy, RPG, and platforming sort of games.

Play as a biotic-heavy or tech-heavy class. Powers like Incinerate will home in on enemies in cover (so if you aim slightly above or to the side of where the enemy is crouched, the projectile will curve around and hit them). It's easy to get the hang of once you experiment a bit. If you don't play as a sentinel, get one of the defensive powers (geth shield boost, fortification or barrier) as your special power. It gives you an instant recharge on your shield.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Infiltrator has a special ability that is a cloak so that you can cloak, come out of cover, line up your shot and take it. The class skill also slows down time when you zoom in so all in all on casual, you have plenty of time to take the shot. Soldier also has an ability called Adrenaline Rush which slows down time. Using the Mattock (which is available from the DLC Firepower Pack, which I highly recommend), you can slow down time almost to a crawl and just start blowing apart enemies before they even have time to react.

Alternatively you can try Vanguard which involves using yourself as a missile and charging into enemies and then while they are staggered, blasting them several times with a shotgun and beating them up. Not a lot of accuracy required. Or you can try any of the non-combat classes which depend on powers that usually home in on their targets.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Chief Savage Man posted:

Alternatively you can try Vanguard which involves using yourself as a missile and charging into enemies

You really owe it to yourself to try this at least once. Set the difficulty slider to "casual" and Charge the poo poo out of your foes, remembering to make good use of the melee button. It's amazingly fun.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
Should I keep playing Borderlands?

I played for a couple hours and it seems like it's only going to be more of the same.
Is that correct or is there some gamechanger right around the corner?

It feels like Just Cause 2 has more story than this.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

unleash the unicorn posted:

I played for a couple hours and it seems like it's only going to be more of the same.

It's pretty much designed around playing with (up to three) friends. If you're flying solo and are bored already then no, you probably won't be more excited about it if you keep playing.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I've always stumbled through D&D games before but have never really understood the system. Can anyone give me a primer on how to Win Loot and Impress Women in Neverwinter Nights 2 (complete edition)?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

al-azad posted:

General tips universal to all plays:

-Research Miranda's ship suggestion as soon as possible to make planet scanning less of a hassle. Use a trainer to skip planet scanning entirely.

Fixed that for you. Removing planet scanning does nothing but improve the game.

unleash the unicorn posted:

It is pretty much Diablo The FPS, so if you go in expecting story, yeah, you'll be disappointed.

It does change in the sense that you get more varied and powerful weapons and enemies - you won't be fighting mutant dogs for the entire game, thank god - but the fundamentals of the game remain the same: kill things, get loot, complete quests, level up. The story just provides an excuse to move from place to place committing genocide on the wildlife.

Unlike JC2, the enjoyment is not in being a flying physics rear end in a top hat, but rather in slaughtering huge quantities of enemies and amassing a pile of loot taller than you are, ideally in co-op with friends. If this doesn't sound appealing to you, might as well move on.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Agrias120 posted:

I've always stumbled through D&D games before but have never really understood the system. Can anyone give me a primer on how to Win Loot and Impress Women in Neverwinter Nights 2 (complete edition)?

There's kind of a lot to know, but the basics go like this:

- Almost every check in NWN2 (and all other 3rd edition DnD games) works the same way. You take a d20, add relevant bonuses, and if the result is the same or higher than the target (called the DC) then it works.

- Attacking someone:

Attacker rolls d20 + Base Attack Bonus + Strength bonus + Magic Weapon Bonuses
DC = 10 + Defenders Armour Class

If the attacker succeeds, he hits. If the attacker is using a ranged weapon, or has the Weapon Finesse feat, and is using a light weapon, they use their dexterity bonus instead of strength.

- Spells are a bit different, because usually the caster doesn't need to make a roll, the target hit by the spell does, in order to nullify or reduce the effectiveness of the spell.

Spell target rolls d20 + Reflex/Will/Fortitude save value (depending on the spell)
DC = 10 + Level of the spell (i.e. Fireball, a 3rd level spell, is +3) + a bonus based on the caster's primary casting attribute (e.g. Intelligence bonus for a wizard)

If the target makes the roll, then, depending on the spell, they'll take less damage or avoid the spell entirely. Some spells can't be saved against.

- Skill rolls (e.g. opening locks, persuasion checks, etc)
User rolls d20 + Skill level
DC is dependent on the task, unlocking a simple door might be 15, disabling a deadly trap might be 25.

- When you build your character, you can choose how your stats are distributed. The stats you want to pump up are based entirely on what class you're playing, and how you want to play them. If you read the class description in the character creator, it'll tell you which stats are important for them. You also get 1 bonus stat point per 4 levels.

- Each stat gives a +1 bonus for every 2 points it is over 10 (so there's no difference between Dex 12 and Dex 13). The stats are:

Strength: Bonus is added to your to hit rolls in melee, and to your damage rolls when you hit someone in melee. More strength also means you can carry more without being encumbered. Important for fighters.

Dexterity: Bonus is added to the character armor class. Note that armor limits how much effect dexterity has, Full Plate only allows you to use 1 point of your DEX bonus for your AC, leather armor lets you use 5 or 6. The bonus is also added to to hit rolls for ranged weapons and your reflex save value. Important for all lightly armored characters, ranged weapon users and rogues.

Constitution: Bonus is added to the amount of HP you get per level, this is applied retroactively. The bonus is also added to your fortitude save. Important for fighters.

Intelligence: Bonus is added to the number of skill points you get per level. It's also the primary casting attribute for wizards, so it's important for them as well as any character that needs lots of skills (Rogues mostly)

Wisdom: Bonus is added to your will save, as well as being the primary casting attribute of Druids and Clerics.

Charisma: The primary casting attribute of sorcerers and bards.

- Each skill has a stat associated with it, and will get a bonus from that stat. For example, Move Silently and Hide both add dexterity bonus to themselves, while almost all the socializing skills (Bluff, Persuade, etc) add charisma bonus.

- Different classes have different class skills. You can train a character to use a non-class skill, but it costs twice as many skill points and the cap is half the size.

To keep things simple, I'd choose a Fighter class for a melee guy (high STR and CON, make sure INT is at least 13 to unlock advanced combat feats), Wizard for a spell caster (high INT and DEX) or Cleric for a hybrid (high WIS, moderate STR and CON). If you want to be able to talk your way out of situations, go Rogue (high DEX and INT, moderate CHA and STR, take Weapon Finesse feat if not using a ranged weapon).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I know it sounds counter intuitive since you said you're bad at shooting, but soldier's a pretty easy class, especially if you play on casual. Your special ability is bullet time, so if all else fails you can pop it on, kill something (or somethings, if you're fast enough), hide, wait for it to recharge, pop it on again and repeat. It's a lot easier to kill enemies when they aren't moving around so drat much.

I found that relying on damage-dealing abilities to kill enemies was a really boring way to play the game, so my suggestion is soldier. Yeah, you have to shoot stuff, but it's made really easy.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Can someone explain the investment system in the PC version of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and whether or not it is worth paying attention to?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

Can someone explain the investment system in the PC version of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and whether or not it is worth paying attention to?

By restoring businesses, not only do you get access to the shops again, more items become available, you get discounts, and a lot of money. Not restoring the city would kind of be...foolish, and needlessly handicapping yourself.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Palleon posted:

By restoring businesses, not only do you get access to the shops again, more items become available, you get discounts, and a lot of money. Not restoring the city would kind of be...foolish, and needlessly handicapping yourself.

That's not what I'm taking about. Of course I will be renovating the entire city.

The PC version adds the ability to invest in restored properties, and the trends and rewards somehow tie into what other people are doing online or something. I don't really understand it. It looks like you could potentially make extra money early on, but I don't know if it's worth it.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

The simplest solution is to play on casual. Consider casual difficulty to be "I'd rather play the story than the shooty parts." You barely need cover if you can aim at an enemy within about 3 seconds of it starting to shoot at you. Also, you can pre-aim your crosshairs from behind cover to help out.

Sentinel makes the game pretty much safe, as well. Your armor ability makes you a tank, Throw is fun as hell, and if you bring squad members who can murder stuff with you, instead of control stuff, you'll have no problems. The only possibly difficult part you may get is Collector based missions, but that's because Harbinger's are annoying. If you have the Firepower DLC and can use Assault Rifles, the Mattock also makes everything easier.

Kayvall
Jan 15, 2008

Anyone have any tips for Sins of a Solar Empire? Just got it and the two expansions as a gift. Only played a little bit so far as TEC. Looking for advice on which tech to rush towards or ships that I should avoid or heavily invest in early.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Anything for Final Fantasy IX? I am going to try to play it, I tried to play it once and got into an area that beat the crap out of me and I stopped playing. This is when I was like 12 though. So anything to know before I start that game would be great.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Anything for Final Fantasy IX? I am going to try to play it, I tried to play it once and got into an area that beat the crap out of me and I stopped playing. This is when I was like 12 though. So anything to know before I start that game would be great.

Wiki entry.

Other stuff not mentioned there:
- The boss of the ice cave (which requires you to fight it solo despite nominally having a full party) is a bag of dicks and you may need to grind a bit to beat it. The rest of the game is pretty well balanced.
- The card game - in marked contrast to FF8's - is both unfun and doesn't have any worthwhile rewards. You can safely ignore it.
- It's worth holding on to older equipment until everyone who can has learned the abilities from it.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

- It's worth holding on to older equipment until everyone who can has learned the abilities from it.

In fact, you should never sell older equipment, because it may well be used in a synthesis that appears later in the game, when said item is not easily available if it's available at all. You get more than enough money from battles anyway.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Mass Effect 2

If you're playing on the PC, and you don't have a Mass Effect 1 save, go to http://www.masseffectsaves.com/ so you can choose your decisions that carry over from Mass Effect 1. The default background is pretty much "I systematically take the worst, least interesting option at every opportunity."

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

Said a lot of things that are spot on.

I just wanted to add to this a little. When you look at the spells you will see what the intended victim has to save against. And like Gerblyn said different classes will have different saves that they are strong in. So you should use spells that they will be weak against. So if you cast fireball at a bunch of rogues they will take little or no damage. On the other hand rogues don't have great will saves so if you cast confusion on them they will stand around like morons while your fighters pound on them.

Its kind of like rock paper scissors. Rogues have good reflex saves, fighters have good fortitude saves and the casting classes tend to have good will saves. So if you know you are going to be fighting next and let's say you knows its going to be a whole bunch of rogues you can make all your spells will save spells or fort saves and mop the floor with them. On the other hand if you don't know who you will be fightng next its good to have a mix. Generally the game does let you know though.

Maybe that seems a little obvious but some people will spend the longest time trying to use the same tactics on everything. The base game isn't that hard so you can get away with it for a while.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I've just started Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 and I have absolutely no idea what is going on... Why are all these children running round yelling cliches at each other? Why is my enemy composed of endless armies of green robots whose sole purpose is to stand in groups and wait to die?

Any hints, tips and explanations for the bizarre anime madness would be greatly appreciated.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3

Why are all these children running round yelling cliches at each other?

- It has 'Gundam' in the title.

Gerblyn posted:

Why is my enemy composed of endless armies of green robots whose sole purpose is to stand in groups and wait to die?

- It has 'Dynasty Warriors' in the title.

- You'll see a number of fields on the map, large square areas. If you go to a red one, you'll get a bar up the top that will decrease as you kill enemies in that field. Once it depletes, you'll either take the field or summon the boss of the field, which you have to kill. Taking grey fields is as easy as flying into them, so try to grab them up at the start of a round.

- Taking fields and killing named characters are most important because they modify the bars in the top-right of the screen. This is the battle gauge and indicates the strength of the two armies; it gets modified by events or fields you've taken, and a portion of it is used up when named characters (including you) get respawned after death. Once the bar is depleted to 50%, the enemy HQ will shut down base defences and become much easier to take. Once the bar is depleted to 0%, the boss will appear.

- Taking fields also grants various effects and allows more of your own troops to spawn. Some will offer the ability to fast travel to other areas, others will power your troops up, etc. Taking the enemy's HQ will cause the boss of the level to appear regardless of where the battle gauge is.

- You are pretty much going to carry every battle on your own. Keep an eye on the radar for red dots in the middle of your territory, in which case you should probably abort what you're doing to go slaughter the enemy general that's kicking in your fields.

- You can cancel out of normal attacks, and out of charge moves if they hit, with a dash. From this dash you can then go into a different attack string, which you can also cancel out of into another dash, and so on and so on until you're out of booster.

- If in doubt, choose from the Tutorial Missions first; they're near the bottom on the mission list and the first several are devoted to hammering explanations home.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It's unlikely,but we live in hope. I recent got hold of Lords of Magic: Special Edition from GoG.com. I'm...a little lost. It's fun, but I can't help the feeling I'm Doing It Wrong.

Maybe one of you has advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Stelas posted:

Gundam Stuff

Thanks for the info!