Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

literallyincredible posted:

on my reread of the series I was kinda shocked how much Marwyn gets mentioned. Its also notable that *every* person who cites him as a mentor is an evil gently caress who uses horrible necromancy and blood magic. I'm 100% positive he's set to be a villainous figure.
Oh? I don't remember that.

Add "when the sun has set [some source of light] cannot compare".

Now, on the one hand, I can see Loras earnestly spouting a cliche while believing his purely pure lovely love was special enough to justify it... but when you get that on every freaking page.... well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Aegon is nowhere near a perfect prince and its pretty obvious throughout Dance. He's pretty and well-educated and a good swordsmen, but he has zero political or military acumen and its obvious that for all Varys insists Aegon doesn't see the throne as his "right", that the dude is seriously entitled. The scene where Tyrion owns him at cyvasse while explaining all the flaws in his plan of action, and its obvious Aegon hasn't even thought about this poo poo, is really illuminating.
I think Aegon's flaw is that he's basically a cipher. They've sent him off with all these intelligent people to give him advice and teach him - and so he'll never really have had to cope with people who aren't looking out for his best interests and giving him biased advice. Tyrion gives him a little bit of advice, this guy who he's never met before and could be playing him for a fool or have any kind of ulterior motive, and he utterly changes his plans base around it (yes, we know that Tyrion's advice is probably worth following, but he doesn't). Connington is very surprised when he declares that he's doing something different.

So yeah, that's the problem. It's not Aegon's plan, Aegon's ideas, Aegon's beliefs; it's Varys' plan, Connington's ideas, Lemore's beliefs.

literallyincredible
Oct 23, 2008

Xander77 posted:

Oh? I don't remember that.

The two people who cite Marwyn as a teacher are Mirri Maaz Dur and Qyburn. The former isn't pure evil, but the magic she performs definitely seems pretty twisted, and Qyburn is like Josef Mengele with magic powers.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

It was like the Colosseum in Rome and we were the Christians." - Bobby Dodd, on playing at LSU's Tiger Stadium

kazil posted:

Well Tyrion calls Lemore more handsome than pretty.
She's older, of course she's lost some of her beauty.

quote:

Connington didn't so much fake his death as he left his life behind and people assumed he was dead. Ashara supposedly flung herself from a tower, didn't she?
No, I'm pretty sure he faked his death:

Connington posted:

So far as most of them were concerned, Connington had drunk himself to death in Lys after being driven from the company in disgrace for stealing from the war chest. The shame of the lie still stuck in his craw, but Varys had insisted it was necessary. “We want no songs about the gallant exile,” the eunuch had tittered, in that mincing voice of his. “Those who die heroic deaths are long remembered, thieves and drunks and cravens soon forgotten.”
And yes, Ashara Dayne supposedly killed herself by jumping off a tower and into a river below the castle.

quote:

Tyrion marks her past 40. Wasn't Ned mid-30s? I couldn't off on that, been a while since I read AGoT.
Ned would have been right about 40 in ADWD.

quote:

Referring to her as lady could be a courtesy or even a joke.
Jon Connington isn't really the joking type ;)
There's never been another septa referred to with the title "Lady" in any of the books. "Lady" is specifically reserved for women of noble birth even if they don't officially hold a Ladyship. Sansa is called Lady all the time, even though she doesn't hold a Ladyship title.
I really do think her being called "Lady Lemore" is a huge hint/clue.

quote:

Ser Rolly Duckfield seems to be exactly who he claims to be, just some dude that Connington knighted.
Yep, though I don't really know what that has to do with the topic. Are you saying that not everyone with Aegon is secretly nobility? If so, I definitely agree. I think Duck's story is 100% true.
Think is, Lemore doesn't even have a story. She never says what or how a septa from Westeros is doing halfway around the world raising an exiled and hidden prince. She has to be SOMEONE.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

So ADWD was pretty good. Better than Feast, not as good as the reviews made it out to be (several moments on the level of the red wedding? Are you kidding me?)

Way too much Dany (god is she insufferable throughout most of it), way too much Jon, way too much Tyrion. I did enjoy Tyrion's story with Ilyrio and Griff and Co. (and somewhat Jorah Mormont) but once he met Penny it really plodded.

1 Jaime chapter isn't enough, and surprisingly I wanted more Cersei, Davos and Wyman Manderly. (Loved his Frey :iceburn:)

Theon probably had the strongest arc, and boy oh boy is Ramsay a cartoonishly evil rear end in a top hat. Easily one of the most hateable characters Martin has written as of yet.

Areo Hotah's one-off chapter was my favorite in the book, and glad to see that Quentyn is only one small part of Doran's master plan. More Dorne!

It was interesting to find out that Melisandre's schtick isn't phony- and that she believes in what's she's doing. Lots of R'hllor this book.

Am I crazy for saying this book suffered without Sansa/Littlefinger?

literallyincredible
Oct 23, 2008

quote:

I liked the Sansa chapters in Feast, but much like Sam, we have a pretty good sense of what is happening with that plotline during the events of Dance. We know LF's master plan, we know it will take some time to pull off, and we know that in the meantime he's got the Vale pretty well in hand.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Decius posted:

Jon might have deluded himself into "it's just me", but that doesn't mean the others see it the same way. He is the Lord Commander after all, and even if he alienated a lot of people he also has people who follow him (even if he sent many of them away).

Even if it were "just him", that is still explicitly disallowed. Think back to Maester Aemon's speech to Jon in AGOT, how on three separate occasions he had to forgo coming to the aid of his family because of his vows. Gotta think that holds triply true for the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. Jon CAN NOT go on a personal mission.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

For what it's worth, the following passage made me really like Aegon and think he may indeed have the makings of a good king in him:

quote:

A solid man, and true, Connington thought as he watched Duck dismount, but not worthy of the Kingsguard. He had tried his best to dissuade the prince from giving Duckfield that cloak, pointing out that the honor might best be held in reserve for warriors of greater renown whose fealty would add luster to their cause, and the younger sons of great lords whose support they would need in the coming struggle, but the boy would not be moved. “Duck will die for me if need be,” he had said, “and that’s all I require in my Kingsguard. The Kingslayer was a warrior of great renown, and the son of a great lord as well.”
People learning from the mistakes of the past? In my Song of Ice and Fire? :haw:

The biggest strike against the L = A theory is that Tyrion, horny or not, could hardly have failed to notice her violet eyes, which in a Westerosi woman make for a pretty short list of possibilities.

VVVVVV

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 17, 2011

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Ray_ posted:

She's older, of course she's lost some of her beauty.

No, I'm pretty sure he faked his death:

And yes, Ashara Dayne supposedly killed herself by jumping off a tower and into a river below the castle.

Ned would have been right about 40 in ADWD.

Jon Connington isn't really the joking type ;)
There's never been another septa referred to with the title "Lady" in any of the books. "Lady" is specifically reserved for women of noble birth even if they don't officially hold a Ladyship. Sansa is called Lady all the time, even though she doesn't hold a Ladyship title.
I really do think her being called "Lady Lemore" is a huge hint/clue.

Yep, though I don't really know what that has to do with the topic. Are you saying that not everyone with Aegon is secretly nobility? If so, I definitely agree. I think Duck's story is 100% true.
Think is, Lemore doesn't even have a story. She never says what or how a septa from Westeros is doing halfway around the world raising an exiled and hidden prince. She has to be SOMEONE.

A) People were saying "Ashara was beautiful, Lemore is beautiful, thus..." I was just saying she's not described as beautiful.

B) That's exactly my point. Connington didn't fake his death, he just went into hiding and everyone assumed he was dead.

C) Many people of common birth are called Lord, I don't see why someone couldn't be called Lady without being a noble.

D) I think a lot of people assume that anyone in the company of Aegon would be some secret lord of great power and influence. I think Duck pretty much shows that Connington is willing to let regular people around Aegon.

E) Did the Halfmaester have a story? Does that make him someone important that died 15 years ago?

In the end, I just think it's really retarded for everyone to be someone. If there were solid evidence pointing to Lemore being Ashara, I'd agree with it, but at this point it's just a shot in the dark so three books later someone can say "See I told you so!"

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Cervixalot posted:

No, I feel the same. Especially in AFFC the Sansa chapter became some of my favourite, even the ASOS/ACOK were pretty good the Dontos-stuff aside. But then, I also liked the Cat-chapters this time around.

Rather 50 chapters of Littlefinger teaching Sansa how to play the game and creep out over a fourteen year old than Dany loving things up and pining for Daario.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Diving Buttress posted:

I get the making of Varys and Illyrio's plot: Raise Aegon to be king in secret. Use Viserys and his secret marriage pact with Arianne of Dorne, and marry Daenerys to Khal Drogo. When the time comes, they'll have the Dothraki and Dorne's army to retake the throne for Aegon. Only problem is the whole "raising Aegon in secret" thing. Did they expect Viserys to just quietly stand aside when he's believed all this life that he's the heir? Even if he didn't turn out batshit crazy, he'd still be a little upset.

Varys's little speech about "Aegon knows kingship is his duty, while Tommen believes it's his right" got me thinking. Does Daenerys believe it's her right or her duty to sit on the Iron Throne? Maybe she's not supposed to retake Westeros at all, and she'll resurrect Valyrian civilization or something.
I think their plot is quite a bit more important, and much more focused on the good of the realm, like they said.

The Others are coming. The Night's Watch won't be enough to hold them back. The rest of the realm believes they are legends told to children. The only thing that can stop them is dragons. And the only ones who can call forth dragons are Targaryns. Their plan amounts to a series of hail mary passes at long shots of getting someone who has an affinity for the beasts in charge and getting them a chance at hatching their eggs. Very long odds to be sure, but when the choice is a huge gamble and extinction, you take the gamble.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Thinking back to AGOT, it's significant that it was Illyrio who gave the eggs to Dany in the first place. She wasn't just some displaced royal who he might get a favor out of one day (as I thought in the first book), but rather a member of a grand plan to put the Targs back into power. I wonder if he had any idea that she would hatch those eggs. Even if the ultimate goal is to unite the realm for a Targ to come fight the Others (which I'm not convinced either Varys or Illyrio know or care about), the eggs are a loving long shot.

Ray_ posted:

The whole way it all went down seemed crazy. What was with the giant killing Ser Patrek? Wonder if it had to do with Seleyse arranging Val's marriage to him?

I didn't get that either. Very weird, as the giant seemed relatively peaceful unless specifically provoked.

quote:

Hell yes, a fellow LSU fan?

Hell yes! The wife is an alumnus and I've lived here most of my life. Seems like most of LA goons are in NOLA instead of BR, though.

Slackarius
Jul 30, 2006
Master of Slackery

withak posted:

Probably he was taking everyone's advice and trying to "steal" her, not realizing that it wasn't just a formality and that there would be a giant on guard duty.

I was pretty much thinking the same thing. Although I wonder if that was a poorly timed incident that just happened to occur during the Ides of Marsh.

Jimbola
Sep 27, 2005

I say, what a dapper young fellow.
Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

How could anyone enjoy the Brann chapters?

Agreed, I've been skim reading them since Clash. They bore me rigid.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Slackarius posted:

the Ides of Marsh.

My first reaction upon reading this line was to groan loudly, then to secretly hope this catches on in the fanspeak. Ugh and bravo.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

It was like the Colosseum in Rome and we were the Christians." - Bobby Dodd, on playing at LSU's Tiger Stadium

kazil posted:

I think Duck pretty much shows that Connington is willing to let regular people around Aegon.
The impression I got was that Lemore was with Aegon and Connington from the beginning, with Haldon and Duck added later.

kazil posted:

That's exactly my point. Connington didn't fake his death, he just went into hiding and everyone assumed he was dead.
He faked getting kicked out of the Golden Company, went into hiding, then had Varys and Illyrio and probably Blackheart spread it out around that he drank himself to death.
How is that not faking his death?

kazil posted:

In the end, I just think it's really retarded for everyone to be someone. If there were solid evidence pointing to Lemore being Ashara, I'd agree with it, but at this point it's just a shot in the dark so three books later someone can say "See I told you so!"
Look, I tend to agree with you. The trope can get annoying very quickly when overdone.

Personally speaking though, I've been thinking that Ashara was alive for like 10+ years - ever since we learned the manner of her "death" and the fact that no body was ever found.

For me, it's not a case of thinking everyone has to be someone. Before ADWD, I came up with a theory that Ashara absconded with Baby Aegon. Aegon being revealed to be alive and to have been partly raised by an attractive Westerosi that people around called "Lady"...well, it begins to fit in with my theory. If you're interested, this is what I had come up with:

Ray_ posted:

For anyone that's interested, this was my pet theory about Ashara Dayne I came up with before ADWD:

Ray_ posted:

I think there's something up with Ashara Dayne, too, actually. Just not what you said.

I really think that Ashara absconded with baby Aegon. Ashara was mentioned as being a lady in waiting for Elia. Ned could have easily been the delivery guy for the baby when he brought Dawn to Starfall. Ashara then fakes her death - remember, her body was never found - and goes across the narrow sea with baby Aegon.

Either Ashara smuggled Aegon out to Starfall before the war.

Or - and I like this one even more - Aegon was at the Tower of Joy. It's mentioned all the time that it doesn't make sense for the LC of the Kingsguard and the greatest knight alive and some other KG dude to be guarding a kidnapped Lyanna, but it would make sense if they were there to guard the heir to the throne. That's sound logic, but people are usually thinking of Jon in that case. Jon wouldn't be the heir, though, Aegon would.

3 KG with Rhaegar on the Trident
1 KG with the actual king
3 KG (including the LC) with the two heirs to the throne - Aegon and fetus Jon

I could see 1 or even 2 KG with Lyanna to protect her and Jon. I can't see 3, especially when they include the loving Lord Commander and the goddamn Sword of the loving Morning. Not when there's only ONE left in the Red Keep to guard both the king and the heir. If the heir isn't at the Red Keep, though...

So Ned and his buddies kill the 3 Kingsguard. Ned finds Aegon being nursed by Wylla in one room, then finds his sister with Jon in another room. He brings the two babies, Wylla, and Dawn all to Starfall. He leaves Dawn and Aegon with Ashara, goes home with Jon, and Ashara leaves with Aegon.

It's a huge loving stretch and only makes sense because GURM won't confirm that Aegon's actually dead.
Going back and re-reading the posts about the theory is interesting, since we hadn't yet found out in ADWD that baby Aegon really was alive:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3401916&pagenumber=287&perpage=40#post392755496
Again, this was well before ADWD. I tend to think the main idea is still viable - that Ashara Dayne had something to do with saving Baby Aegon.

Edit: Thing is, none of us know who she really is or if she's anyone at all. Tyrion mentions it being a mystery at one point and she simply seems like more than just a common-born septa.

Ray_ fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 17, 2011

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

If Ashara is Lenore then Ned was probably knee deep in the conspiracy. If I remember correctly after the ToJ he want to Starfall, where the Dayne's live shortly before Ashara jumped into the Sea. Did he meet the young Aegon there and realize there was still two claimants to the throne and help arrange them to be hidden?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Who is Rowan? For a spearwife, she really loving hates Theon and seems to be very familiar with the Stark household.

quote:

Theon spun, terrified that Ramsay had found him, but it was just the washerwomen—Holly, Rowan, and one whose name he did not know. “The ghosts,” he blurted. “They whisper to me. They ... they know my name.”
“Theon Turncloak.” Rowan grabbed his ear, twisting. “You had to have two heads, did you?”

quote:

Rowan pulled Theon away from the north-men praying before the tree, to a secluded spot back by the barracks wall, beside a pool of warm mud that stank of rotten eggs. Even the mud was icing up about the edges, Theon saw. “Winter is coming ...”
Rowan gave him a hard look. “You have no right to mouth Lord Eddard’s words. Not you. Not ever. After what you did—”

She also knows who Arya is (though not her face), refers to her as "Lady Arya", and calls Theon a kinslayer.

Brannock fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 17, 2011

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

Xae posted:

If Ashara is Lenore then Ned was probably knee deep in the conspiracy. If I remember correctly after the ToJ he want to Starfall, where the Dayne's live shortly before Ashara jumped into the Sea. Did he meet the young Aegon there and realize there was still two claimants to the throne and help arrange them to be hidden?

Kind of.

He was definitely in on the conspiracy to save the kids' lives, but he definitely was not in on the greater conspiracy to restore the Targs.

Ned was just a noble guy who did what he thought was right (see: quitting as Hand when Robert sent an assassin after Dany). He didn't consider the ultimate consequences of his actions though (giving Cersei a chance to leave, for example).

The funny thing about the Stark modus operandi, though, is that in the extreme long run, they seem to have much more loyal friends than everyone else. Like the Manderlys, the Reeds, Umbers, Mormonts, etc. Even the mountain clans respect the Starks.

Down south, drat near everyone has switched allegiance 10 times.

lapse fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 17, 2011

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

When I got to the part where Tyrion meets Penny and rides the pig all I could think of was Peter Dinklage reading it and giving a long, slow, mournful sigh.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Gangringo posted:

When I got to the part where Tyrion meets Penny and rides the pig all I could think of was Peter Dinklage reading it and giving a long, slow, mournful sigh.

I feel so bad for the poor dude playing Theon. He must have read the original scripts and been like "Aw yeah! Smart rear end wanna be knight guy that gets laid a lot and is awesome with a bow, like that dude from Lord of the Rings! This is gonna be rad!" I pictured him reading the first Reek chapter in DWD and immediately calling his agent.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Gangringo posted:

I laughed as hard at that as I did with Quentyn's fate. GRRM is a master of intentional and unintentional humor.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Xae posted:

Check out my post right above yours for my idea on that.

Brannock posted:

Who is Rowan? For a spearwife, she really loving hates Theon and seems to be very familiar with the Stark household.

She also knows who Arya is (though not her face), refers to her as "Lady Arya", and calls Theon a kinslayer.

Man, I was really curious about that while reading that chapter. I figured we'd find out she was some northerner that went with Mance, but we never found anything out about her. Now she's dead as a Ned and we'll never know.
I mean, why would a wildling have a problem with Theon using the Stark words?

In other book news, ADWD is selling like hotcakes (or hot pies, heh.):
http://books.usatoday.com/bookbuzz/post/2011/07/record-sales-for-george-rr-martins-a-dance-with-dragons/176909/1

quote:

George R.R. Martin's A Dance With Dragons, book five in his epic "A Song of Ice and Fire' series, had the highest single and first-day sales of any new fiction title published this year: 298,000 copies in print, digital, and audio formats, publisher Random House announced today.

On Tuesday, sales of 170,000 hardcovers (26% of the 650,000 pre-publication printings); 110,000 e-books; and 18,000 audio books were reported sold.

300,000 copies all together in one day. That sounds like a pretty large amount for medieval fantasy fiction.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

Ray_ posted:

In other book news, ADWD is selling like hotcakes (or hot pies, heh.):
http://books.usatoday.com/bookbuzz/post/2011/07/record-sales-for-george-rr-martins-a-dance-with-dragons/176909/1

300,000 copies all together in one day. That sounds like a pretty large amount for medieval fantasy fiction.

What's more crazy to me from that article is that in the first 6 months of this year so far, he has sold 4 million copies of the first 4 books in the series, which is the same amount as they sold in the past 15 years. Plus I'm sure he got some big bucks from the TV show.

George has to be sitting pretty rich right now, compared to what he's been used to.

literallyincredible
Oct 23, 2008
Yeah the sales figures are sick. So are the reviews. The New York Times review is basically the most over the top rave I've ever seen (emphasis added):

quote:

In a Fantasyland of Liars, Trust No One, and Keep Your Dragon Close
By DANA JENNINGS

With the arrival of “A Dance With Dragons,” Book 5 in George R. R. Martin’s rousing “Song of Ice and Fire” cycle, it’s high time we drove a stake through the heart of J. R. R. Tolkien and “The Lord of the Rings.” Like its predecessors “Dance” has its share of flagons ’n’ dragons, and swords ’n’ sorcerers, but that doesn’t make Mr. Martin the American Tolkien, as some would have it. He’s much better than that.

The series, which started with “A Game of Thrones” in 1996, is like a sprawling and panoramic 19th-century novel turned out in fantasy motley, more Balzac and Dickens than Tolkien. Mr. Martin writes fantasy for grown-ups, with a blunt and bawdy earthiness that befits the son of a Bayonne, N.J., longshoreman. His on-the-page persona is that of a pint-and-a-shot guy who just happens to know a hell of a lot about the care and feeding of dragons. Anyone who has followed his work on HBO, where the first season of “Game of Thrones” recently ended, knows that too
[lots of over the top praise/summary]
So, yes, winter is still coming. Tolkien is dead. And long live George Martin.

I mean jesus. I loved the book and even I think its a bit extreme.

Still, all bullshit aside, purely from a cultural phenomena standpoint, with the HBO show with at least one (and likely more, with how huge this book is) season to come, this has the potential to be like a Da Vinci code/Twilight/Girl with the Dragon Tattoo level hit. I'd mention Harry Potter but honestly nothing is ever gonna touch HP sales figures. Still, George is in good company, saleswise at least.

literallyincredible fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 17, 2011

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Brannock posted:

Ashara Dayne!

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

Yeah the sales figures are sick. So are the reviews. The New York Times review is basically the most over the top rave I've ever seen (emphasis added):

I mean jesus. I loved the book and even I think its a bit extreme.

Still, all bullshit aside, purely from a cultural phenomena standpoint, with the HBO show with at least one (and likely more, with how huge this book is) season to come, this has the potential to be like a Da Vinci code/Twilight/Girl with the Dragon Tattoo level hit. I'd mention Harry Potter but honestly nothing is ever gonna touch HP sales figures. Still, George is in good company, saleswise at least.

Season 2 of the TV show could flop since there's not so much action in the second book, and they lost some seriously compelling character actors (Mark Addy & Sean Bean) or it could go totally gangbusters if it's done well (especially if they do a good job on the grand finale, the Battle of the Blackwater)

Based on the way the season 1 viewership went, I am very hopeful. If the show makes it at least up until the Red Wedding, then I think we will have a very long-running classic on our hands.

I posted this in one of the other threads, but here was the weekly viewer trend. There were ups & downs, but some substantial growth by the end.

Combine that with a huge surge in book sales, and yeah, I can see it becoming a phenomenon.

lapse fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 18, 2011

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Gangringo posted:

I felt the same way. In cast interviews and trailers I got the impression that he was trying to bring gravitas to a role he fundamentally didn't like - presumably because 90% of the interactions are people being shits because Tyrion is a dwarf. This just doubles down on that. I expect and hope they will cut Penny when the time comes. Easy enough to write around it.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SelfOM posted:

Having to wait another 3+ years for the next book, to resolve any of dozens of cliffhangers is..

No it will be out much sooner than that, he has already written some of the chapters and .. he... hahahahahahaha haha ah ha aha

oh god I couldn't even write it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Am I the only one optimistic that now that he is past his little knot that the books are going to come out much faster? He no longer has to worry about mereen and hbo is gonna be on his rear end and he put out SOS and ACOK pretty fast.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Scoobi posted:

Am I the only one optimistic that now that he is past his little knot that the books are going to come out much faster? He no longer has to worry about mereen and hbo is gonna be on his rear end and he put out SOS and ACOK pretty fast.

Yes.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Gangringo posted:

I had a similar thought but with the scene where Cersei walks through KL stark naked.

I would be impressed if Alfie Allen is able to pull off the Reek scenes. So far all I've seen from him is :smug: knight.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
GRRM was on NPR today and its extremely unnerving to hear how close he sounds to Carl Kassel. They also mentioned as an aside how "vicious" the fan reaction was to his book taking so long.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Party Plane Jones posted:

GRRM was on NPR today and its extremely unnerving to hear how close he sounds to Carl Kassel. They also mentioned as an aside how "vicious" the fan reaction was to his book taking so long.

Was that the Tom Ashton interview? Or something?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

So was I the only one who interpreted the Bolton letter as "I'm going to come up to the wall and kill everyone if I have to to kill you because ragh"?

I mean, I dig that the Night's Watch is not supposed to take part in this sort of squabble, but that message pretty much justified Jon's going off, at least to me. And if he didn't want to go alone, well, he really oughtn't.

Obviously, there are other concerns, but I feel that if by going and fighting the psychotic murderer somewhere else you can spare your charge, doing just that is pretty much justified.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I thought the same thing, he is declaring war on the Night's Watch by threatening the Lord Commander of the institution.

Will of the Emperor
Mar 17, 2009
Anyone else think that Jaime is going to be forced to fight the "Hound" for "Sansa" with his one hand in order to prove he's keeping his oath?

It has the makings of an incredibly badass chapter.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I always felt like Jon would have had more success if he was more open with his thoughts. "Hey guys, I'm going to deal with this because he's declared war on us and is an open threat to us. If we just let him sit there he's going to attack us and we have absolutely no way of defending ourselves."

"Hey guys, we are severely undermanned and literally no one is coming to help us. Those wildings are willing to help us not die horribly - so I'm going to put my best men in charge of them."

"Hey guys, I'm doing my best to get Stannis out of our hair so we can remain autonomous - it'd really help if you were on my side so we have an unified front!"

But instead he's completely closed off from his men and I'm sure that Bowen Marsh and Othell Yarwyck definitely felt alienated from this new, young Lord Commander. It seems like the Old Bear was much closer to his captains (witness all the meetings he held in CoK/SoS on the First of the First Men) and I imagined that helped considerably. Though the Old Bear is perhaps a bad example given his eventual fate.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Arrrthritis posted:

I had a similar thought but with the scene where Cersei walks through KL stark naked.
Would be pretty easy to change it slightly so that she's wearing a penitent's tunic or something. The actress did at least some nudity as Queen Gorgo though, so I don't see her making a huge fuss. The shaven head would probably be a bigger deal, and it's also IMO more essential to the scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

Would be pretty easy to change it slightly so that she's wearing a penitent's tunic or something. The actress did at least some nudity as Queen Gorgo though, so I don't see her making a huge fuss. The shaven head would probably be a bigger deal, and it's also IMO more essential to the scene.

If nothing else alternate between close ups on her face and long shots with a body double.