Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

Does anyone else have a weird problem (EVO 3D) where text messages show up out of order on their phone? I'll get a couple of texts from a friend, send one back, and then I'll get a couple more and they'll be listed as coming before the one I sent to my friend. Sometimes I'll send 2 and then the next text from my friend will be in between the 2 I just sent. What's up with this? Never had it happen on AT&T.

That's a problem with the EVO as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.

DaveKap posted:

Does anyone else have a weird problem (EVO 3D) where text messages show up out of order on their phone? I'll get a couple of texts from a friend, send one back, and then I'll get a couple more and they'll be listed as coming before the one I sent to my friend. Sometimes I'll send 2 and then the next text from my friend will be in between the 2 I just sent. What's up with this? Never had it happen on AT&T.

I get that on my Nexus as well, but only when someone is spamming me with 5+ texts at a time.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Shed posted:

I get that on my Nexus as well, but only when someone is spamming me with 5+ texts at a time.

Not the greatest solution, but as a workaround: Google Voice fixes this.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
If anyone was wondering, I think it is the HTC camera app that sucks. I tried a few other ones and the slow shutter speed isn't there.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

TLG James posted:

If anyone was wondering, I think it is the HTC camera app that sucks. I tried a few other ones and the slow shutter speed isn't there.

Are any of the other camera apps 3D capable?

Also any particular one that you recommend?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TLG James posted:

Cameras and the apps controlling them have never been the strong suit for HTC unfortunately.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TLG James posted:

Why not just download an app like CameraZoom? I've used that before, its pretty good. Obviously no 3D, but otherwise would be good.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Is there any way to get out of an ETF without paying fees right now? My contract is up in October.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bigass Moth posted:

Is there any way to get out of an ETF without paying fees right now? My contract is up in October.

Call retentions and ask, but unless you have other lines on your account staying I doubt it. From Sprint's perspective, if you are going to be leaving and not giving them business, why should they give you a break? If you have a decent phone just sell it to make up the difference. Better yet, call Verizon or AT&T or whomever and see what incentives they will offer to have you switch.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Duckman2008 posted:

Call retentions and ask, but unless you have other lines on your account staying I doubt it. From Sprint's perspective, if you are going to be leaving and not giving them business, why should they give you a break? If you have a decent phone just sell it to make up the difference. Better yet, call Verizon or AT&T or whomever and see what incentives they will offer to have you switch.

I want to switch the Virgin Mobile's prepaid before the monthly rates jump to $35, so I doubt Sprint CS would be much help.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

I want to switch the Virgin Mobile's prepaid before the monthly rates jump to $35, so I doubt Sprint CS would be much help.

You could just start a line now, then port your number in October. It would probably end up saving you money in the long run versus paying an ETF.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bigass Moth posted:

Honestly, in that case call retentions and ask if they will waive or help you with the ETF. That's a fuzzy subject, but I have seen retentions offer prepaid as an alternative to Sprint, their goal is to keep you paying. Definitely call and ask, worse they say is "no."

Grumpwagon posted:

You could just start a line now, then port your number in October. It would probably end up saving you money in the long run versus paying an ETF.

Not necessarily. If his contract is up in October, that means he got whatever phone October 2009. That is what, 20 months? ETF goes down $5 a month, 20 * $5 = $100, so ETF at most is $100 and possibly lower. 4 months of $25 a month is already $100 right there, and he would also be paying the Sprint plan. Sometimes is varies, but usually you save money in the long run by paying the ETF.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Duckman2008 posted:

Honestly, in that case call retentions and ask if they will waive or help you with the ETF. That's a fuzzy subject, but I have seen retentions offer prepaid as an alternative to Sprint, their goal is to keep you paying. Definitely call and ask, worse they say is "no."

What incentive would they have to allow me to get out of the ETF to go to Virgin Mobile? I understand VM uses Sprint's network, but they aren't owned by Sprint right?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Duckman2008 posted:

Why not just download an app like CameraZoom? I've used that before, its pretty good. Obviously no 3D, but otherwise would be good.

That is exactly what I said I did?

I just can't believe a built in app sucks so much.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Bigass Moth posted:

What incentive would they have to allow me to get out of the ETF to go to Virgin Mobile? I understand VM uses Sprint's network, but they aren't owned by Sprint right?

The name is used by various carriers in other countries, but Sprint owns Virgin Mobile 100% in the US.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
If I eventually root the phone and switch to a different rom, are there free equivalents of the sprint specific apps like visual voicemail, and that thing that links everyone in your facebook/phonebook/gmail into the People app?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

blargle posted:

If I eventually root the phone and switch to a different rom, are there free equivalents of the sprint specific apps like visual voicemail, and that thing that links everyone in your facebook/phonebook/gmail into the People app?

That thing that links your contacts is part of Sense, and to a minor point Android itself, not Sprint. Visual Voicemail is easily replaced by the farrrrr superior Google Voice.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

big mean giraffe posted:

That thing that links your contacts is part of Sense, and to a minor point Android itself, not Sprint. Visual Voicemail is easily replaced by the farrrrr superior Google Voice.

Okay, I want to use visual voicemail as well but I'm not merging my Sprint number with Google Voice because, truth be told, I prefer to have both numbers seperate of each other. Now, can I get Google Voice to run for both numbers or is that just not possible?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

thisdude23 posted:

Okay, I want to use visual voicemail as well but I'm not merging my Sprint number with Google Voice because, truth be told, I prefer to have both numbers seperate of each other. Now, can I get Google Voice to run for both numbers or is that just not possible?
I recently ported a # to Google voice. When you do it gives you the option to pay $20 to keep your existing Gvoice # and effectively have two. I think this was added a few months back.

Note that the above had nothing to do with Sprint, it was a land line I ported to a cell phone (t-mo) just to port it to gvoice. If you do have two numbers they will share the same rules/settings in Gvoice.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

thisdude23 posted:

You can avoid doing any of the integration poo poo and just use google voice to voicemail, keeping two seperate numbers.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
After 3 disconnects/non-transfers I finally got ahold of someone in Cancellations who not only was extremely helpful, but waived my ETFs for my wife and I (around $50 each). I'm sure saying I was switching to Virgin Mobile helped my cause. Anyway, time to go get an upgrade.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bigass Moth posted:

After 3 disconnects/non-transfers I finally got ahold of someone in Cancellations who not only was extremely helpful, but waived my ETFs for my wife and I (around $50 each). I'm sure saying I was switching to Virgin Mobile helped my cause. Anyway, time to go get an upgrade.

That is awesome. If you are getting the Triumph please post up a review.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

I'm buying an Evo View from Chappy. Are all of Sprint's tablet plans a mandatory 2-year contract, even with your own equipment?

If you are setting up a new line, yes. It's OK though, you can upgrade whenever you want without extending the contract! :negative:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Duckman2008 posted:

That is awesome. If you are getting the Triumph please post up a review.

Nope, Optimus Vs son.

By the way, thanks for the advice!

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 17, 2011

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Well, increasing issues with my Palm Pre pushed me to finally order an Evo 3D this weekend. I almost ordered car-mount for it, but $40 seemed a little steep to me, are there any good/cheaper alternatives?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Is there a way to get that Accuweather thing that's part of the main screen on the Evo to find a location? It only seems have to major cities around the world in its search feature, which isn't very useful.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

big mean giraffe posted:

You can avoid doing any of the integration poo poo and just use google voice to voicemail, keeping two seperate numbers.

Sweet! I'm an idiot and I need pics so how do I go about doing this?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

blargle posted:

Is there a way to get that Accuweather thing that's part of the main screen on the Evo to find a location? It only seems have to major cities around the world in its search feature, which isn't very useful.

It autodetects your location. So AFAIK no way to manually add a place to the main weather clock. The weather widget itself is configurable though.

Battle Cattle
Aug 13, 2003

MOO.
Two EVO 3D questions: 1) How can I change the notification tone? I can change the phone's ringtone to anything I want, but it seems like I'm stuck with what HTC preloaded?

2) Why do my app icons keep disappearing from the home screen? They revert back to the default Android app icon all the time and its annoying.

Mr. Ali
Oct 2, 2003
gay man

Q_res posted:

Well, increasing issues with my Palm Pre pushed me to finally order an Evo 3D this weekend. I almost ordered car-mount for it, but $40 seemed a little steep to me, are there any good/cheaper alternatives?

I got this one:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&p=40951188

Also coming from a Palm Pre and having a touchstone setup in my car this is a fantastic replacement for that setup with my Evo 3d. The dock also works with most if not all TPU cases.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
The Accuweather app does let you add locations, but you can only choose from a bizarre, very limited list of cities. It also detects my current location incorrectly when on wifi.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Earlier tonight I was in a very poor reception area and then my data shut off entirely. I had an "International roaming" notification.

I was certainly still in the country, so I'm curious if this was a problem with CM7 or did Sprint really believe I had left the country?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Q_res posted:

Yes, check monoprice.com, $4 a pop, order 2 so you have a backup.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

brc64 posted:

Earlier tonight I was in a very poor reception area and then my data shut off entirely. I had an "International roaming" notification.

I was certainly still in the country, so I'm curious if this was a problem with CM7 or did Sprint really believe I had left the country?

I sometimes go to Digital Roaming in my office (which is in my boss's basement).

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

Had there been any word on when the 2.3.4 update is coming to the 3D? I want to use gchat with video already.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Eunabomber posted:

Had there been any word on when the 2.3.4 update is coming to the 3D? I want to use gchat with video already.

Since it was reported that the SGSII will have 2.3.4 on it at release I can't imagine it being too long before the 3D has it.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

brc64 posted:

CM7 problem

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Battle Cattle posted:

Two EVO 3D questions: 1) How can I change the notification tone? I can change the phone's ringtone to anything I want, but it seems like I'm stuck with what HTC preloaded?

2) Why do my app icons keep disappearing from the home screen? They revert back to the default Android app icon all the time and its annoying.

You can individually change sounds for the main ringtone and notification from Settings, Sound. You can also change the notification for specific apps like SMS, e-mail, calendar, etc. individually within those apps' settings. If you want to add more ringtones just put them on your SD card under media\audio\ringtones or notifications.

noapparentfunction
Apr 27, 2006

spin that 45 funk.
Can anyone reccomend a slim, lightweight silicone or rubber skin that is almost identical to the iPhone 4 Bumper but for the Nexus S?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

noapparentfunction posted:

Can anyone reccomend a slim, lightweight silicone or rubber skin that is almost identical to the iPhone 4 Bumper but for the Nexus S?

Most Sprint stores have gel cases that are really nice, I would check there.