Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Anyone post this yet? http://www.spin.com/articles/queens-stone-ages-oliveri-swat-standoff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Oh you have to be kidding me. If this cancels my Kyuss/The Sword show (or has Kyuss pull out) I'm gonna be pissed. I've already had 2 shows hosed recently (Mogwai being unable to get visas and Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza pulling out of their tour) so this'll be just my luck.

Also what a tool.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Just got tickets to Patrick Walker doing a solo acoustic set in basement of a local record place, pretty pleased

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Glad I got to see them when I did. This probably means the supposed new album is done-for now unless they get Scott Reeder back on board (I hope they get Scott Reeder back on board.)

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
anybody wanting good merch deals... https://www.allthatisheavy.com is having a pretty decent sale right now

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ethan posted:

anybody wanting good merch deals... https://www.allthatisheavy.com is having a pretty decent sale right now

Thanks dude.
T-shirts for 9 dollars? Sweet deals.

DiscW
Jul 21, 2006
I had never listened to Dark Castle, but finally checked them out since they're playing in Orlando and Tampa with Yob and some other great bands, and I discovered this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dgUkIVDtl4

I now love Dark Castle. Holy christ.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Anyone got an idea how "small" the small T-Shirts are on AllThatIsHeavy? I'm Irish so our small may be smaller than a US small.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

DiscW posted:

I had never listened to Dark Castle, but finally checked them out since they're playing in Orlando and Tampa with Yob and some other great bands, and I discovered this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dgUkIVDtl4

I now love Dark Castle. Holy christ.

I may have said this in here before. If so, sorry.

A few years ago I was wondering around outside a bar and we heard some music coming from an auto garage down the street, we got some tall boys to go and stumbled upon Dark Castle playing in the garage. The best drunken discovery.

Heatmonger
Dec 1, 2007

Ja we ist der supermen
Super-duper supermen

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Anyone got an idea how "small" the small T-Shirts are on AllThatIsHeavy? I'm Irish so our small may be smaller than a US small.

I guess it would depend on who the actually t-shirt manufacturer is, but when I ordered a Clutch shirt from them a few months ago, the XL was sized more like an XXL. I'm a fatso from the US and I found it quite big.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Heatmonger posted:

I guess it would depend on who the actually t-shirt manufacturer is, but when I ordered a Clutch shirt from them a few months ago, the XL was sized more like an XXL. I'm a fatso from the US and I found it quite big.

Thanks for the info man. Also to anyone interested, they're Kylesa, Baroness and Weedeater shirts for only $15 (that's including p+p)

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
There's so much on that site I don't even know where to start. :aaa:

Guess I'll start at the beginning. A is for Acid King :350:

Planet X fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 16, 2011

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just ordered a Kylesa t-shirt, I waited too long and missed out on the Baroness one in small :qq:

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.
Accidentally stumbled into the YOB/Dark Castle backstage area while searching for the bathrooms; they were all super loving nice and happy to chat/hear my myriad praises. Obviously I tried not to bug them too much, but I couldn't walk away from that without a 'hail Satan.' What a good show.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I'm looking for a bit of insight from some folks who live around Raleigh and are familiar with King's where YOB is playing Monday night. I'm coming from out of town but I used to live in Raleigh. I've only been to the old King's.

What time do you think YOB will go on?
Is street parking available around King's or should make other plans?

I'm going to be cutting it close timing wise so any useful information is much appreciated.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I'm looking for a bit of insight from some folks who live around Raleigh and are familiar with King's where YOB is playing Monday night. I'm coming from out of town but I used to live in Raleigh. I've only been to the old King's.

What time do you think YOB will go on?
Is street parking available around King's or should make other plans?

I'm going to be cutting it close timing wise so any useful information is much appreciated.

I am not 100% positive, but I believe there is a pretty big parking deck relatively close to Kings. Don't know if they normally start the shows on time there or not.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Saw Kyuss Lives for my second time last night. Great show, with a particularly awesome rendition of Whitewater being the highlight of the night. I guess Nick posted bail and was free to go overseas, which was surprising but awesome. He was grinning and chain-smoking the entire for the duration of the show. Also saw Monster Magnet on Thursday, which was also good, but god drat Wyndorf has been adding on the pounds after he sobered up. Good for him.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Thanks dude.
T-shirts for 9 dollars? Sweet deals.

No problem!

I picked up a Baroness Hawk shirt, and US Christmas - Run Thick in The Night on colored vinyl with the accompanying shirt. Pretty sweet!

shiatza
May 15, 2005

The new YOB is grrrrrrreat

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
Sounds like several goons are going to be at the Yob/Dark Castle/US Christmas show tonight at Kings. I'll be wearing this Nokturnal Mortum shirt. Say hello!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Optimum Gulps posted:

Sounds like several goons are going to be at the Yob/Dark Castle/US Christmas show tonight at Kings. I'll be wearing this Nokturnal Mortum shirt. Say hello!

I'll be there in my Wolves in the Throne Room shirt. Say hello to me too! My name's Ian, so as to not be creepy (by that I mean goony)

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I'll be at Kings tonight wearing a black (of course) shirt that says PUSH with the silhouette of a guy pushing on a skateboard. My name is Jamie.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I'll be at Kings tonight wearing a black (of course) shirt that says PUSH with the silhouette of a guy pushing on a skateboard. My name is Jamie.

Apparently this thread is populated with people that live in the Triangle. Who knew.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Angryhead posted:

For any fans of psychedelic, heavy doom, here's some free music from an Estonian duo called Talbot. EOS is really good, IMO.

http://talbot.bandcamp.com/

TALBOT is really loving good fellas/gals, don't hesitate to listen to the EOS album in full, it pays off.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Asnorban posted:

Apparently this thread is populated with people that live in the Triangle. Who knew.

I'm the exception actually. I live in Asheville but I'm on vacation at Emerald Isle so I'm driving up from the beach to Raleigh. It kind of worked out better for me as I don't think the YOB TBA show in Charlotte ever materialized which I would have missed because of the beach trip. I'm so stoked this worked out.

nosophoros posted:

TALBOT is really loving good fellas/gals, don't hesitate to listen to the EOS album in full, it pays off.

I gave them a spin a few days ago. Only listened to a couple songs. I really dug the sound but came away feeling the two songs I listened to were a bit similar. I love the sound though. I'll have to make it all the way through and see how I feel.

Also for more content, the new Kamni folks have been speaking about is excellent. I liked the first album but I was still up in the air about them them. A.T.O.M. seals the deal for me. They are doing good stuff.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 18, 2011

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011
yob show in montreal gave me hearing damage

so loving worth it

oh and check out ensorcelor, they opened the show, really good local blackened doom.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Not sure how many people in here dig The Atlas Moth, but they posted a new track from their upcoming album today:

http://stereogum.com/760891/atlas-moth-coffin-varnish-stereogum-premiere/franchises/haunting-the-chapel/

Samael Jackson
Aug 26, 2008

POWER OF THE MACK DAD
So basically I'm late to the isis party and just found out how good panopticon is. I've listened to oceanic a few times but I've just kept going back to panopticon since it's so good. How are their later releases? Also, please suggest other post metal stuff for me to try out!

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Samael Jackson posted:

So basically I'm late to the isis party and just found out how good panopticon is. I've listened to oceanic a few times but I've just kept going back to panopticon since it's so good. How are their later releases? Also, please suggest other post metal stuff for me to try out!

I pretty strongly dislike everything post-Panopticon. But a large part of that is probably because I hold Celestial and Oceanic in such high regards. Panopticon was what got me into them, but those two are what keep me coming back (and going to shows). The live albums are also pretty well worth a listen in my opinion. The newer songs come across a good bit better live.

Just got back from YOB in Raleigh. One word review: fuccckkkkkkkkkk.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Samael Jackson posted:

Everything they did after Panopticon (which was kind of boring) is poo poo.

Neurosis is the archetype of that stuff, so check em out if you haven't. If you want more, check out Amenra. They're probably the only Neurosis worship band I like. Old (pre-Salvation) Cult of Luna is ok too, if a bit more generic.

Bondage
Jun 9, 2008

by Ralp

Asnorban posted:

I pretty strongly dislike everything post-Panopticon. But a large part of that is probably because I hold Celestial and Oceanic in such high regards. Panopticon was what got me into them, but those two are what keep me coming back (and going to shows). The live albums are also pretty well worth a listen in my opinion. The newer songs come across a good bit better live.

I wondered why post-panopticon Isis sucked, then I read that they opened for Tool on a huge tour after releasing Panopticon. So there ya go.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Asnorban posted:

This right here. I saw UFOTofuTacoCat and said hello, but didn't see a Nokturnal Mortum shirt - sorry Gulps.

I took pictures, I'll post them when I develop and scan the film.

Also I think I'm in love with Stevie Floyd, but that's not news.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Samael Jackson posted:

I'm gonna disagree with the post-panopticon hate. I think Oceanic is still their best, but Wavering Radiant really struck a chord with me. It's definitely more Tool-like in the way they handled ambience and structure, but I don't see that as a bad thing. The songs (ghost key is a good example) have some fantastic dynamics, and it was amazing to see live. I caught them on their third? to last show ever, and while it was more of a "greatest hits" than I would've liked, something can be said for the way the newer songs translated.

Also keep in mind they broke up because they'd felt the idea had run it's course. Wavering Radiant is a pretty good "farewell" IMO. It's also neat to listen to Red Sea/The Mosquito Control EPs to see how far the band came, while still keeping certain elements consistent.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

QPZIL posted:

This right here. I saw UFOTofuTacoCat and said hello, but didn't see a Nokturnal Mortum shirt - sorry Gulps.

I took pictures, I'll post them when I develop and scan the film.

Also I think I'm in love with Stevie Floyd, but that's not news.

Being 2+ hours away from the show and it being a weeknight I just sat at home and listened to Atema. Yeah, it's pretty drat great.

BTW, I love Stevie Floyd more. Stay away. She's mine.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Samael Jackson posted:

Inlé by Fall of Efrafa is brilliant.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Samael Jackson posted:

I quite dug Intronaut's Valley of Smoke for an Isis fix.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar

Samael Jackson posted:

The Gasmask posted:

I'm gonna disagree with the post-panopticon hate. I think Oceanic is still their best, but Wavering Radiant really struck a chord with me. It's definitely more Tool-like in the way they handled ambience and structure, but I don't see that as a bad thing. The songs (ghost key is a good example) have some fantastic dynamics, and it was amazing to see live. I caught them on their third? to last show ever, and while it was more of a "greatest hits" than I would've liked, something can be said for the way the newer songs translated.

Also keep in mind they broke up because they'd felt the idea had run it's course. Wavering Radiant is a pretty good "farewell" IMO. It's also neat to listen to Red Sea/The Mosquito Control EPs to see how far the band came, while still keeping certain elements consistent.

I'm also a huge fan of Oceanic and Panopticon and I second the Wavering Radiant love, while I think that In the Absence of Truth has one good song, that is 1000 shards.

Strangely, I just never quite managed to get into Celestial, even though I love the rawer sludge of Mosquito Control and The Red Sea.

As for the other post-metal suggestions, Neurosis after A Sun that Never Sets is pretty much the band to check to see where Isis was coming from. I guess I could also recommend, like the other goons, Cult of Luna (Salvation) and Intronaut (Prehistoricisms and Valley of Smoke), as well as Giant Squid (Metridium Fields) and Battle of Mice (A Day of Nights, though the band isn't as good, and I'm always biased when talking about anything involving Julie Christmas).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thinking of seeing Neurosis next Monday, anyone see them live recently?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Samael Jackson posted:

Also, please suggest other post metal stuff for me to try out!

Rosetta is my absolutely favorite post-metal band. Their full lengths are The Galilean Satellites, Wake/Lift, and A Determinism of Morality. They're all great.

The Galilean Satellites comes as a 2-disc set, one metal album and one ambient. Play them together in sync and its absolutely massive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power

plester1 posted:

Rosetta is my absolutely favorite post-metal band. Their full lengths are The Galilean Satellites, Wake/Lift, and A Determinism of Morality. They're all great.

The Galilean Satellites comes as a 2-disc set, one metal album and one ambient. Play them together in sync and its absolutely massive.

Rosetta is good stuff. Their guitar player is my Amp tech. Which has currently left me sans one of my heads while they tour Europe.

Big fan of Panopticon, Oceanic and Wavering Radiant from isis.