Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Millstone posted:

Yeah that was only a few years ago right? I think it was in an interview and Howard just went completely apeshit. Then a few months later Howard did a complete 180 and said something like "I never said I hated John, what are you talking about" to a caller.

John sucked once he became too big to do what they hired him for in the first place, he was only ever entertaining as a punchline (like Cabbie), and of course Howard was pissed at him for how he left the show, not why. He was at least decent enough not to run him down in public until he made that bonehead kool-aid comment. He made a lot of jokes at his expense but, y'know, comedy radio show.

It's funny to see people running to defend his dumb rear end when next to no one on the show who ever worked with him has anything nice or positive to say about him, outside of his ability to gently caress with Booey and his stock picking acumen. He is not a quality person.

And Howard has every right to be pissed at Jay for head-hunting John, considering that they had a friendly relationship at the time. It was never discussed with him, they just went about it all surreptitiously. If you listen to the shows from when that happened, it's pretty amazing just how lightly John got off for as long as he did.

That was a real cute remark, that "Jew teat" thing, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I hated John. What he did was funny from time to time but as a person he was scum. One of my favorite videos I have and still watch is from his later days when he did some afternoon DJing and Howard just tore him apart for like 45 minutes for basically making lovely bits and trying too hard to be like Howard instead of just saying the tag line and playing the music.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

He was the worst when he'd flop his rear end down on the couch and join in on the discussion when no one asked for him and contribute nothing of interest to the conversation. Eventually Howard would ask him why he was in the studio, and he'd go back to faking more worthless Dr. Remulak calls.

Giving him his due, he was really loving awesome at making Gary miserable. The way he would brow beat him for being a good father and husband and absolutely drive him berserk was hilarious. He was very good at being a lovely human being.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 16, 2011

John Fütbol
May 18, 2003

FUCKING GOOOOOOOAL IN PHRAGMATICS FYAD CONTEST

DangerDummy! posted:

...he'd go back to faking more worthless Dr. Remulak calls.

I know only a little bit about the Dr. Remulak calls from best ofs... did it turn out that John had faked them? Or are you guessing that?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

John Fütbol posted:

I know only a little bit about the Dr. Remulak calls from best ofs... did it turn out that John had faked them? Or are you guessing that?

Nobody truly knows but being that he only spoke to John it was always assumed that it was a way for John to get more airtime. He just got a friend to call, he'd patch the call through and then get the airtime when Dr. Remulak would say he'd only talk to John(besides just repeating his name).

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Crotch Bat posted:

Nobody truly knows but being that he only spoke to John it was always assumed that it was a way for John to get more airtime. He just got a friend to call, he'd patch the call through and then get the airtime when Dr. Remulak would say he'd only talk to John(besides just repeating his name).

The only thing that gives it some legitimacy is that the guy was calling everyday for years before he ever got on the air. Sadly John is just too lazy to stick with something like that.

John was a scumbag but he was funny. No one on the show will throw someone under a bus anymore. It is too safe and boring.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

DangerDummy! posted:

And Howard has every right to be pissed at Jay for head-hunting John, considering that they had a friendly relationship at the time.

Jay was willing to pay John money and Howard/Viacom wasn't. Jay is an rear end in a top hat for taking him away from a poo poo job?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Jay Leno is an inhuman rear end in a top hat.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Sizzlechest posted:

Jay was willing to pay John money and Howard/Viacom wasn't. Jay is an rear end in a top hat for taking him away from a poo poo job?

Howard's argument was that Jay was basically lovely for going behind everyone's back to hire John. Normally especially in show biz when you are interested in hiring a staff member from another show you give a heads up as a courtesy. The current employer has a chance to figure out their options and decide if they need them or not. You can blame John for keeping his mouth shut since one it is not his place to talk about a offer from a competitor and he didn't want to screw himself out of it for talking about it since it is normally under a form of a NDA when you are in a contract negotiation.

After he had the offer solidly in place he came out and told Viacom about it and they could not offer him anything to stay. After the fact Jay called Howard and was basically very condescending to him making the crack "well you couldn't pay him enough anyway".

Much like the Conan thing Jay handled what should have been a easy and painless situation for everyone involved in the worst possible way. Jay is a scumbag and there is a real reason why almost everyone in show biz hates the guy.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

/\boom

Sizzlechest posted:

Jay has a history of backdooring deals and being a two-faced liar and a sneak to get his way. This was not a new thing. It's well documented. So well so that someone wrote two books about it. God bless him, it's made him a success and he's gotten everything he's ever wanted because of it. He's beholden to no one to do things the "proper" or "decent" way.

He head-hunted John. I don't especially care since it got John off the show, and I sure don't begrudge John his success. And, let's face it, no matter how it went down, Howard was going to be pissed about it. That's kind of his thing. Jay just went about it in his usual creepy manner.

What did Jay really get out of the deal, anyway? An unfunny boat anchor that he shuffled behind the scenes as soon as he could without looking like an ogre to his loving public.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP
Stuttering John was a perfect fit on the Howard Stern show. Yes he was a complete rear end in a top hat but he had no qualms about stirring up poo poo which creates a ton of content for Howard.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Stuttering John was also likely paid pretty well by the Stern Show by the time he left, he owned two houses already before he moved to the Tonight Show gig. Granted some of the money he'd made could have been earned via appearances as Stuttering John - but how many of those appearance fees is he earning nowadays?

The issue Howard had with it was the fact it all happened behind his back, when he would have at least tried to work something out if he'd even known it was afoot. He invented Stuttering John as a personality, so I can see why he felt betrayed that he didn't at least get a heads up.

Fact of the matter is John made a harrible decision to leave in the way he did, and I bet he makes a lot less yearly now than he did when he was working for Howard.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Ether Frenzy posted:

Fact of the matter is John made a harrible decision to leave in the way he did, and I bet he makes a lot less yearly now than he did when he was working for Howard.

I really, really doubt this.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ether Frenzy posted:

Stuttering John was also likely paid pretty well by the Stern Show by the time he left, he owned two houses already before he moved to the Tonight Show gig. Granted some of the money he'd made could have been earned via appearances as Stuttering John - but how many of those appearance fees is he earning nowadays?

The issue Howard had with it was the fact it all happened behind his back, when he would have at least tried to work something out if he'd even known it was afoot. He invented Stuttering John as a personality, so I can see why he felt betrayed that he didn't at least get a heads up.

From what has been said John made under six figures by the time he left. The guy just hustled in everyday he could. He was on the road every weekend, he took stock tips from callers and rolled that into a decent cash flow when the market was good and he did every dumb appearance, record and television/movie offer given to him.

The show paid him dick as did everyone before Sirius. You have to remember Toothy was also doing every dumb appearance until he got to Sirius and finally got a decent paycheck. I am pretty sure Howard made that happen since it always looked really bad for the producer of the biggest radio show in the country having to go to Ha Ha's in Shobonkin or Carl's TV Emporium every weekend.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Stuttering John was also likely paid pretty well by the Stern Show by the time he left, he owned two houses already before he moved to the Tonight Show gig.

He made some money in the stock market using tips from stock brokers that called into the show. (It was the 90s. You could throw a dart at the stock section in the newspaper and find a company whose price would go up.)

Ether Frenzy posted:

Sure, but why did they do it behind his back? Howard says he wouldn't care, but his actions show otherwise.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Sizzlechest posted:

Sure, but why did they do it behind his back? Howard says he wouldn't care, but his actions show otherwise.

Exactly.

Also, I love how before the Kool-Aid comment, NONE of it was John's doing at all, it was all Jay and John didn't hide anything or be sneaky about it himself.

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice

Djarum posted:

After he had the offer solidly in place he came out and told Viacom about it and they could not offer him anything to stay.
I think John told Viacom about it after he accepted the offer. That was the beef from what I remember. Because it was a done deal by that point, the company didn't have the opportunity to offer him anything. Not that they would ever come close to paying him half a million a year or whatever it was.

I do agree that Howard was angry in part because he hates seeing people successful without him, but I didn't care in that case because it was such a pleasure hearing John getting destroyed by everyone and listening to him unravel.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Snark posted:

I think John told Viacom about it after he accepted the offer. That was the beef from what I remember. Because it was a done deal by that point, the company didn't have the opportunity to offer him anything. Not that they would ever come close to paying him half a million a year or whatever it was.

They're pissed they didn't have the opportunity to give a counter offer they knew was crap?

Here's a more likely reason... Howard believes that the "Stuttering John" character is his property and nobody else can have it. Unfortunately for Howard, John is a human being and slavery has been abolished. I agree that Howard made John famous and Jay is too stupid to know how to use John properly, but considering what Howard thinks of youtube, the 5th grader show, Jaywalking, etc., it's not hard to understand where the bitterness comes from. Stuttering John is just another idea he invented that other people have stolen from him.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Who hires a guy that stutters to be the announcer of the Tonight Show?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Pamaler Anderson!

Niggerless Cage!

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Who hires a guy that stutters to be the announcer of the Tonight Show?

To be fair, I think his writers were huge fans and just talked everyone into it.

"It would be a great infusion!"

"synergy!"

"a pro-active new paradigm!"

Priapist
Aug 10, 2002

Heeeere's Herbie!
Apparently, Lady Gaga is on the show tomorrow morning. If she's as uncooperative as she was on Letterman, it could be an awkward, frustrating interview for Howard. High-Pitch Mike is probably vibrating with excitement as we speak, however.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Listening to the complete Magic Chronicles currently. Barely through part 1, and I've been laughing pretty much the entire time. I forgot how great the Jackie laugh was.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

haljordan posted:

Listening to the complete Magic Chronicles currently. Barely through part 1, and I've been laughing pretty much the entire time. I forgot how great the Jackie laugh was.

Listening to old clips of the show, being a fan who wasn't around during the Jackie days, would it be correct to assume that whenever Howard says something funny and Jackie bursts out laughing, it means he probably wrote the joke?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

A Intimate Rimjobs posted:

Listening to old clips of the show, being a fan who wasn't around during the Jackie days, would it be correct to assume that whenever Howard says something funny and Jackie bursts out laughing, it means he probably wrote the joke?

Almost definitely.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
so is ol' Stephanie meat-suit still coming in ?

burmart
Sep 14, 2002

10,000 Cunts

chiz posted:

so is ol' Stephanie meat-suit still coming in ?

She's in now...and she's just as boring as you would imagine.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

My buddy said there is a huge crowd outside the building because of lady gaga.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

Bonzo posted:

Pamaler Anderson!

Niggerless Cage!

Keeping that recording is the greatest thing Scott the Engineer ever did. I'm laughing just thinking about it.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP
The Lady Gaga interview was a snooze fest. No wonder why she wears crazy outfits, she has to make up for a nothing personality.

However, she sang a song that was inspired by her grandfather dying and it was pretty great. She has fantastic music ability.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
What did Howard say about Artie?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

loving Hein.

Also, people who comment on Gaga's Facebook posts are really strange.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

That is quite an outfit. Wow.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

FogHelmut posted:

loving Hein.

Seriously, Howard is so obsessed with photography, yet he posts a lovely picture like that? Get a real camera in there, or at least someone who knows how to focus.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP

FogHelmut posted:

loving Hein.

Also, people who comment on Gaga's Facebook posts are really strange.

Hahaha I love that Jon Hein trolls every picture

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Streebs posted:

Hahaha I love that Jon Hein trolls every picture

loving guy is the definition of creepy. He's totally checking out that rear end. I would be too though so...

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
I thought she was kind of boring and...normal. If not for the outfits, she'd be just another pop singer. Great voice though - I wouldn't call myself a fan of hers but she really can sing.

Robin's logic is loving insane. Why would you go on a kayak if you don't know how to swim? I am a pretty good swimmer and I still don't know if I would venture out onto Barnegat Bay in a kayak. There is so much traffic on that water - it's very easy to see how you might capsize.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

-Atom- posted:

What did Howard say about Artie?

Pretty much what we all expected. "He sounds good I hope he is better. I wish him the best." They pushed through it in the first hour and it seemed like Howard just wanted to glance over it quickly and get it over and done with.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Kelly posted:

I thought she was kind of boring and...normal. If not for the outfits, she'd be just another pop singer. Great voice though - I wouldn't call myself a fan of hers but she really can sing.

Robin's logic is loving insane. Why would you go on a kayak if you don't know how to swim? I am a pretty good swimmer and I still don't know if I would venture out onto Barnegat Bay in a kayak. There is so much traffic on that water - it's very easy to see how you might capsize.

It's bad enough going out there on a full sized boat. And it's a pretty big bay, the waters can get fairly rough at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Is anyone else completely uninterested in lady gaga? In fact, I DIDN'T listen to the show because she was on it today... It's probably good for the Stern show in terms of exposing a completely new audience to his show, but whatever.