Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

He has a point about WAR, which is like 1.something. You're telling me Howard is only good for 1 more win than Ross Gload would be?

Ross Gload's B-Ref WAR is -0.1. Howard's is 1.9. Wins above replacement are hard to amass. They're not like pitcher wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Orgophlax posted:

He has a point about WAR, which is like 1.something. You're telling me Howard is only good for 1 more win than Ross Gload would be?

Grab a no-glove, all-bat dude off the waiver wire to play first base and he should be able to put up at least a league average OPS, 15-18 HR in a year's worth of PA. There are only 3 qualified 1B with an OPS under .740 and they're all producing negative WAR.

Your "league average" position player is worth about 2-3 WAR. 1.x WAR through about half a season for a league average player sounds about right.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Conlin loves RBI. Always has. I can't believe he isn't dead yet though. I do like his stories when he talks about poo poo that happened in the 60s and 70s. Sometimes it is some good history.

According to this http://www.baseball-reference.com/p...x=1&submitter=1

I sorted by OPS+

Howard is an average 1b. Maybe even below average.

BUT RBI

euphronius fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 13, 2011

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Badfinger posted:

Grab a no-glove, all-bat dude off the waiver wire to play first base and he should be able to put up at least a league average OPS, 15-18 HR in a year's worth of PA. There are only 3 qualified 1B with an OPS under .740 and they're all producing negative WAR.

Your "league average" position player is worth about 2-3 WAR. 1.x WAR through about half a season for a league average player sounds about right.
His point wasn't that his WAR number was wrong, it's that it's pointless to use to determine worth. There's no way with Ross Gload in the lineup everyday rather than Howard the Phillies would be close to the record they have now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Orgophlax posted:

His point wasn't that his WAR number was wrong, it's that it's pointless to use to determine worth. There's no way with Ross Gload in the lineup everyday rather than Howard the Phillies would be close to the record they have now.

I would not imagine it to be very different. Maybe like 2 wins or so. They are not winning because their first baseman is good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
How is it that the Phillies are able to trot out a rotation of loving Halladay/Lee/Hamels and Howard is STILL the guy journalists will not shut up about as the reason the team is worth following.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

Yes, they would be quite close.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

Orgophlax posted:

I'm not sure you understand how easy it is to find someone who can hit and play first base. You have to reevaluate your standards for a bat based on position

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Nate RFB posted:

How is it that the Phillies are able to trot out a rotation of loving Halladay/Lee/Hamels and Howard is STILL the guy journalists will not shut up about as the reason the team is worth following.

*ribbies
*dingers
*pitchers don't have many of those so their stats are confusing and irrelevant (except Wins and Saves of course)

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Orgophlax posted:

Imagine John Mayberry with 350 PA this season at 1B. They'd probably be about a 55 win team right now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I love Conlin's response to how it is a travesty Howard gets as much money as Adrian Gonzalez: "Yeah well Howard just hit a single!"

Also I wonder why he didn't compare the relative OPSs between Howard and Chuck Klein.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

But but but Howard is the preeminent slugger of our generation, it's not like his epic .828 OPS could be replaced with Ty Wigginton, or Mike Morse, or Giambi, or Daniel Murphy, or David Murphy, or Napoli, or Pat Burrell, or Billy Butler, or Luke Scott, or Juan Miranda, or Derrek Lee, or Seth Smith, or Cody Ross, or Johnny Damon, or Jeff Francouer, or Wily Mo, or

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

The Pussy Boss posted:

But but but Howard is the preeminent slugger of our generation, it's not like his epic .828 OPS could be replaced with Ty Wigginton, or Mike Morse, or Giambi, or Daniel Murphy, or David Murphy, or Napoli, or Pat Burrell, or Billy Butler, or Luke Scott, or Juan Miranda, or Derrek Lee, or Seth Smith, or Cody Ross, or Johnny Damon, or Jeff Francouer, or Wily Mo, or

Im not disagreeing with the overall point but you seriously think Wily Mo Pena could put up an .828 OPS?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
If Ryan Howard was a free agent at the end of the year, I would give literally no fucks that the Phillies are paying ~$20 mil this year for an average first baseman. Because he is at least an average first baseman. He's not a HORRIBLE player, he's just wildly, hideously overpaid. I would not even give fucks that sportswriters would be writing articles that would say the Phillies desperately need to re-sign Howard whatever the cost, because of all his ribbies, when they obviously shouldn't. He has some value, I wouldn't have minded a sane deal. Sportswriters writing hyperbolic articles about keeping a nice guy on a great team who's won hardware in the past is par for the course.

But with already overpaid Ryan Howard on the books for 5 more expensive years that haven't even started yet, you get idiot sportswriters making articles trying to JUSTIFY the deal. And that's where the train crashes then explodes then the fires from the explosions hit a gas station.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade

toadee posted:

Im not disagreeing with the overall point but you seriously think Wily Mo Pena could put up an .828 OPS?

he's done it before. Twice, actually.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

That comparison between Howard and Adrian Gonzalez caused me to look up Adrian's UZR for the first time this season, and his UZR/150 is at loving 11.2. I knew he was doing well defensively just from watching him play, but that seems loving absurd for a first baseman. Pujols-esque, even.

I wonder how that writer would react to a smug nerd quoting fangraphs actual dollar value and being like "Well you see Howard is really only worth $5.6 million a year right now" :smug:. Does anyone else find it really loving amusing to behave like a caricature of a "mothers basement" type just to piss guys like that off on twitter and stuff?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Hey Mariner fans, worried about the future? Don't worry! Art Thiel has you covered! Since he's been firedleft the Seattle P-I to start his own website, he can write his own bullshit on saving the team:

The Mariners need to move Ichiro, Felix now."

quote:

During his [Ichiro's] time here, it’s fair to speculate that the biggest issue affecting his performance is all the turmoil and losing. The Mariners’ failures have to eat at a guy whose professional standards are so high.

Nearly anyone with his talent and options would have been long gone. But his Japanese sense of company and personal loyalty, particularly to majority owner Hiroshi Yamauchi, is too intense for his own good. If he were to ask out, however, his request would be honored.

At $18 million, he makes way too much money for a singles hitter. But remember, baseball is warped right now. If Ichiro were packaged with a pitcher such as League, and the Mariners agreed to eat some salary, the roster would reap a return of at least two 2012 starters from a desperate team, plus prospects.

I love Ichiro, but who the gently caress is going to take him and net us two starting players, and prospects for him and Brandon League?

quote:

More painful would be the departure of Hernandez, because of his youth. But his talent puts him nearly in the Alex Rodriguez class, which means he’s destined for a big market.

In 2000, rather than trade one of the best players in baseball history, the Mariners let Rodriguez go into free agency, hoping to out-bid suitors for his return. Instead, they were woefully under-armored, and received nothing for him. That was a franchise wound that gave much blood.

No matter his nice words about Seattle and the Mariners, Hernandez is fated to be traded. There may never be a better market for his services than in the next couple of weeks. He’ll also net at least two more near-term starters, plus prospects.

Alex Rodriguez's departure sucked. The next season the Mariners coped by winning an AL-record 116 games.

Christ, this guy has an HoF vote too.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Well if Tom Hicks weren't a total dumbass the Mariners probably could have re-signed A-Rod. That's a bad argument.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Just because they won 116 games doesn't mean letting A-Rod leave was a good thing

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Nodoze posted:

Just because they won 116 games doesn't mean letting A-Rod leave was a good thing

I'm not really sure what the budget situation was like for the Mariners, but that may have prevented the signing of Ichiro and Bret Boone, who ended up being the best players on the team in 2001. So I'm not really going to complain about A-Rod walking for a massively overpaid contract.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Bret Boone probably avoids Seattle but you don't think Nintendo would pony up the cash for Ichiro? And A-Rod would probably make up for Boone and sustain it.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Wikipedia says Seattle's winning bid for his posting was 13 million, plus a 14 mil 3 year contract. Obviously at the time very few people expected he would be as good in MLB as he was in Japan but even so that's obviously a huge bargain for the level of production he put up in those first few seasons.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Looking up the WARs Seattle paid 147 million to Ichiro and Boone from 2001-2011 for 73 WAR. Texas and NY paid A-Rod 252 million for 68.4 WAR.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.

The Pussy Boss posted:

Howard has a career .933 OPS and not one of those players you mentioned have shown the ability to consistently put up an .850 OPS. It is possible to believe that Howard is overpaid and that he is a good and valuable player, especially for a team with an average offense like the Phillies.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
I'm pretty sure those guys barely make Ryan Howard's salary combined. Which means you could pick a righty and a lefty off the list, get something in the ballpark of Howard's likely production for the next year or two, and have the other 16 million left over to go sign third basemen and left fielders.

HAIL LORD ZLATAN
Jan 2, 2011
Meanwhile in Brazil, ESPN celebrates the day of rock or whatever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FadX0bLffs4

They spent the entire show like that

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
http://www.kansascity.com/2011/07/16/3018430/judging-the-royals-midseason-review.html

This thing is amazing. According to it Yuniesky Betancourt was the Royals MVP last year. This is the mid year review this year. Highlights include a SS OPSing .631 tied for being the second best player on the team with loving Frenchy, Chris Getz being the fifth. Oh and this gem:

quote:

Getz should be the poster boy for Ron Polk’s system: It was designed to reveal the worth of players like him. Tell a sabermetrics guy that Getz is a better all-round ballplayer than Billy Butler and he’ll have an asthma attack and ask his mom to bring him a fresh box of Pop Tarts.

But really, the whole thing is great.

Frankly Melky Cabrera (even though he's better than I thought he'd be) being #1 is as comical as anything.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 18, 2011

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
hahahaha the Frenchy entry is the best ever

e: oh man the scoring is the most nonsensical thing. a CG is worth as much as a save

Groucho Marxist fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 18, 2011

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
According to the comments section the guy who wrote that is their political cartoonist.

You left quite a void when you left the Star, didn't you Joe Pos?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
•LIMITATIONS: Gordon leads the team in strikeouts and strikeouts looking.

strikeouts AND strikeouts looking :ohdear:

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

hcreight posted:

You left quite a void when you left the Star, didn't you Joe Pos?

Whitlock certainly did, anyway.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
The irony is that the goal of SABRmetrics is to try and quantify the best and most valuable players. The only difference between that and the "MVP system" is that the MVP system is more ambiguous and subjective. He can use any system he wants, I don't think anyone is going to care much, but there's no need to get defensive and lash out at some imaginary boogeynerd.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
A hilariously hyperbolic and overwrought little editorial.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-0719-simers-20110719,0,4611578,full.column

T.J. Simers L.A. Times posted:

U.S. women's loss to Japan in World Cup final was disgraceful

Players shouldn't get off easy for laying one of the all-time biggest eggs in sports.

In all my years watching futbol, I have never seen a side on the pitch gag as much as the U.S. gals.

Talk about just dribbling it away.

Come on, where does President Obama get off tweeting: "Couldn't be prouder of the women of #USWNT after a hard-fought game"? So the big guy wouldn't have been prouder had they won? This was the mighty Soviet hockey team losing in Lake Placid to a bunch of kids and then fearing the next stop might be Siberia. How come the president didn't remind the U.S. before its game with Japan they might be spending August in Nebraska if not successful.

As mismatches go, this was Oregon versus USC.

The Mavericks against the Lakers.

Some of us were undoubtedly expecting a clean sheet from Hope Solo, and I'm sure my fellow futbol fans understand what I'm talking about. The powerhouse U.S. hadn't lost to Japan in 25 games, had a 1-0 lead with nine minutes to play, a 2-1 advantage with three minutes left in overtime and just flat out folded. And the president couldn't be prouder of these losers?

A 1-0 U.S.-Japan soccer game is like watching a baseball game with the Dodgers trailing, 1-0. Everyone understands there's no way to overcome such a deficit.

I was so confident when the U.S. went ahead that had I been told Rick Neuheisel was coaching the U.S., I still wouldn't have been concerned.

Maybe a lucky nutmeg through Solo pulls Japan even, but when the U.S. went up, 2-1, near the end of the game, it technically wasn't a golden goal, but just as good. Beckham understands what I'm talking about.

Credited for their resiliency after beating Brazil, the Americans seemed insistent on establishing their legacy as chokers in allowing Japan back into the game.

As Hollywood scripts go, the U.S. still had the chance to make everyone's day and duplicate its 1999 World Cup dramatic win on penalty kicks. No one is talking today about blowing it if the U.S. players are running around the field in celebration after winning on penalty kicks. But instead, somewhere in Japan today a broadcaster is now forever famous for screaming: "Holy Al Michaels."

Just think of the endorsement deals waiting for the U.S., the invites from Leno, Letterman and "The Bachelor" and the little girls about to be born and named Hope.

Just think about all those warm, fuzzy and fictional columns that were going to be written about the advances in women's sports and growth in soccer popularity in the afterglow of a thrilling U.S. win.

Just think about how quickly everyone will forget these duds unless someone mentions Greg Norman and other great choke artists of our time.

In the days leading up to the final game, the U.S. players talked in radio interviews about their never-quit attitude and other attributes that made them a great team.

"There is something special about this group," Solo was saying after beating Brazil, a sentiment echoed by Abby Wambach.

"That is the perfect example of what this country is all about," she said. "We never gave up."

I'm guessing someone who plays for Japan was saying the same thing after actually winning the World Cup.

There is no way you can feel sorry for this bunch. They talked about preparing themselves for this moment, never dreaming they'd get an opponent who didn't have a chance against them. And they still weren't up for it.

The U.S. hockey team beat the Soviet Union and everyone gushed and then the hockey team went out and finished the job with a win over Finland.

No one around here, though, seemed interested in waiting for the U.S. women's soccer team to prove itself more than a shooting star. Who didn't go overboard? Some were suggesting no men's team could do what these women were doing given their unselfish, tough and tireless play for one another.

I couldn't agree more — hard to fathom a U.S. men's team collapsing in such a manner.

As for hanging tough together, which teams seem to do when they win, anyone watching TV couldn't help but notice Solo leaving her teammates behind in defeat to share her emotions with some folks in the stands.

If there is anything memorable now about this U.S. women's soccer team, it's how it melted in the glare of the big moment. Their role model, I presume, is Phil Mickelson.

They just gave it away, and to make excuses or diminish the magnitude of such a collapse is to treat the U.S. gals like women instead of world-class athletes.

I would imagine that's how most would want to be viewed in victory, so no reason to offer a free pass in defeat and go all gushy.

I say treat the gals like athletes and make sure they understand if they choke again, it's off to Nebraska for the whole lot.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oh no, a team lost an insanely close, hard fought game to the team that just beat the other two best teams in the sport, what a choke job!

Did Japan win or did Germany, Sweden and the US all manage to lose? :ohdear:

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
TJ Simers is a fuckface.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
That column is ridiculously overblown but wasn't it lovely to give up two late, tying goals like that? I honestly don't know, I don't know how often that happens in soccer or how often it should happen between two teams of that skill.

The "winning a soccer tournament is consolation for the earthquake and tsunami" angle I've heard from some people is much more repugnant than "did America choke or not".

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

It has to be said that Simers long ago gave up any claim to being a real columnist. He's a print version of Skip Bayless, except his stuff is even more obviously meant to piss people off. Seriously, he barely tries to hide it.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

ElwoodCuse posted:

The "winning a soccer tournament is consolation for the earthquake and tsunami" angle I've heard from some people is much more repugnant than "did America choke or not".

Did that just become a thing around 9/11? That's the earliest I can remember sports writers pulling the "if ever a city needs a title right now" bullshit.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Moose Bigelow posted:

Did that just become a thing around 9/11? That's the earliest I can remember sports writers pulling the "if ever a city needs a title right now" bullshit.

Yes and the Arizona Diamondbacks needed it more than the Yankees :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Kalli posted:

Oh no, a team lost an insanely close, hard fought game to the team that just beat the other two best teams in the sport, what a choke job!

Did Japan win or did Germany, Sweden and the US all manage to lose? :ohdear:

I also love all the comparisons (not just here, but on television too) to the Mavs-Heat series, and just how incredibly superior both the Heat and USA were to the Mavs/Japan respectively. I mean, I suppose it's true in the sense that both teams were only modest (though, admittedly, clear) favorites going into their respective finals, but that's not what they're going for.