Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Neo Helbeast posted:

I have just discovered the greatest show ever made in the 90's. It's called Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad. I literally cannot not stop laughing at it because of how bad it is. There is a kid in the show who I swear is literally channeling Lex Luthor. If I get a chance I'll upload one of the one minute recaps that shows why this show is so glorious.

All the works been done for me. Episode 1's recap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh-PrqIx24M

Holy poo poo, that Luthor kid made me lose it. If anybody's on the fence about watching this video, just cut to 20 seconds in.

fake edit: Holy poo poo, Tim Curry voiced the villain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

TwoPair posted:

Holy poo poo, that Luthor kid made me lose it. If anybody's on the fence about watching this video, just cut to 20 seconds in.

fake edit: Holy poo poo, Tim Curry voiced the villain?

Was he really that hard up for money back then? Look at his IMDB history in the 90s for a string of... interesting things.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

kefkafloyd posted:

Was he really that hard up for money back then? Look at his IMDB history in the 90s for a string of... interesting things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PLQ1XfaTuU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

No, see, that thing there is a thing of awesome and I will not hear otherwise. And the long version is even better.

I meant more that inbetween doing awesome movies (and guesting in series like Animaniacs), Tim did a lot of low-rent stuff, like Syber Squad. He was EVERYWHERE for a period of time. Need an evil-sounding English guy? Go hire Tim.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Sometimes it feels like Tim Curry is incapable of turning down an offer, though that has resulted in awesome stuff like Mighty Max or Pirates of Dark Waters.

Fun facts: he auditioned to play Judge Doom in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, but was deemed "too terrifying" and rejected. He was also the second choice to play Joker in Burton's Batman, and first choice to play Joker on The Animated Series until Mark Hamil auditioned.

He's also a fantastically nice guy; I saw him in Spamalot and afterwards he spent a couple hours talking to everyone in the crowd and telling stories as if we were all around a campfire.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
One of my many regrets is not seeing Tim live in Spamalot.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

He was pretty great as Slagar the Cruel in the second season of Redwall.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I don't get it. Who is the target demographic for Mad?

They just made a joke about Digimon. Assuming the audience is kids, what kid would be old enough to remember Digimon?

I wanna laugh at it but... it's just so bland. At least Family Guy is worth a chuckle, man.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Neo Helbeast posted:

I have just discovered the greatest show ever made in the 90's. It's called Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad. I literally cannot not stop laughing at it because of how bad it is. There is a kid in the show who I swear is literally channeling Lex Luthor. If I get a chance I'll upload one of the one minute recaps that shows why this show is so glorious.

All the works been done for me. Episode 1's recap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh-PrqIx24M

There's a hilariously creepy episode of this that I still remember from its first airing where the Lex Luthor kid traps a hot cheerleader in a computer and replays and freeze-frames a video of her turning around quickly and unintentionally flashing her underwear. I think that's the only part of any episode that I've ever seen, but I still remember it clear as loving day 15 years later.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sockser posted:

I don't get it. Who is the target demographic for Mad?

They just made a joke about Digimon. Assuming the audience is kids, what kid would be old enough to remember Digimon?

I wanna laugh at it but... it's just so bland. At least Family Guy is worth a chuckle, man.

Mad being such a steaming pile makes me sad because there are no good short animation anthologies on TV anymore. It's been half a decade since Sunday Pants and that failed program on Nick that created the Adventure Time pilot flopped, Mad is the only one around now and it's utterly terrible. Especially compared to the 90s when everything from Liquid Television to What A Cartoon! to Oh Canada was filling the timeslots.

Granted, YouTube has filled that niche pretty nicely but it would be cool to have a block dedicated to that kind of stuff on actual television.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
So the season finale to Scooby Doo Mystery Inc was... pretty dark for Scooby Doo. Still, pretty big cliffhanger. There IS a second season confirmed, right?

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011

Space_Butler posted:

So the season finale to Scooby Doo Mystery Inc was... pretty dark for Scooby Doo. Still, pretty big cliffhanger. There IS a second season confirmed, right?

I hope so. This show is pretty underrated.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Any show with Gary Cole and Patrick Warburton as billed regulars deserves all the seasons it can get.

And yeah, this show was surprisingly dark/unusual for a Scooby show (see: Flim Flam getting 25 to life as a minor).

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Remember everybody, the Teen Nick '90s block started yesterday. Show your support if you've got the channel.

Are they going to change what they show every week?

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

404GoonNotFound posted:

Any show with Gary Cole and Patrick Warburton as billed regulars deserves all the seasons it can get.

And yeah, this show was surprisingly dark/unusual for a Scooby show (see: Flim Flam getting 25 to life as a minor).
Considering that all other scooby doo reboots/reworks have either been terrible or bland they had to do something.

I mean there was nothing redeeming about the live action movies. It was literally the same gags that have been done for decades, the original series was only around 25 episodes and the episodes were usualy mixed-in with other segments allready. Having something to give backbone and drive to the series was desperatly needed ages ago. I mean we've gone through Scrappy-Doo, Scooby Doo and the 13 ghosts, A Pup named Scooby Doo, and others totaling 9 different incarnations of the show. The later shows especialy were all based around gimmicks(i.e. teaming up with someone from some other work of media) and gags and were not really about the overall mysteries.

The current incarnation really isn't anymore dark than something like Nancy Drew or Hardy Boys. But again the appeal of those books were that they were interesting and engaged the audiance instead of boring predictable crap.

Also a lesser known fact that's been only metioned a handful of times throughout the entire existance of Scooby-Doo. His full name is Scoobert, Scooby is just a nickname :colbert:

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 27, 2011

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Y-Hat posted:

Remember everybody, the Teen Nick '90s block started yesterday. Show your support if you've got the channel.

Clarissa Explains It All is on my tv right now. Clarissa Explains It All is on my tv right now! I am so happy they started this and will definitely be turning this on every night as background noise if anything. I've probably watched my tv more the past couple nights than I have the past few years combined.

As far as I know, they'll be changing it up to include stuff like Double Dare, Hey Dude, etc. every so often. I'm not sure what the programming options include or how often it'll change, but they're probably testing the waters with the most requested shows right now. I can't really complain about having Doug and Clarissa back on for now, though.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Vaerai Archon posted:

Considering that all other scooby doo reboots/reworks have either been terrible or bland they had to do something.

A Pup Named Scooby-Doo would like a word with you :colbert:

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Sockser posted:

A Pup Named Scooby-Doo would like a word with you :colbert:

Yes it would like to tell you it's terrible

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

Y-Hat posted:

For now, the lineup is going to stay the same. Later on, TeenNick will be using fan feedback online to choose what will be added to the lineup.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

When did Iron Man Armored Adventures start showing new episodes and why did nobody tell me? I can't be the only one watching that show.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo was absolutely golden. It had a quirky/campy humour that probably wasn't for everyone. But it was in my opinion the best Scooby Doo series besides the current Scooby Doo Mystery Inc.

---
Also, The Looney Tunes Show is going on a few weeks break until the 25th Aug, the last episode it left us on was kinda weak. But it's had some really excellent episodes with Eligible Bachelors & Double Date.

Pleasant Friend fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 28, 2011

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

mobo85 posted:

Later on, TeenNick will be using fan feedback online to choose what will be added to the lineup.

Get ready for 2 solid hours of "Legends of the Hidden Temple."

IanJ
Dec 27, 2003

a real magic skeleton

Monday(Tomorrow!) at 8:30 on Cartoon Network there'll be a special sneak preview of the new show "Secret Mountain Fort Awesome"! (full disclosure, I worked on other episodes of this)

The show is gross and really weird and a lot of fun. A lot of the dudes who used to make "Chowder" and "Billy and Mandy" are making this show. The writing is kind of a throwback to the "anything for a joke" feel of 90's cartoons and the artwork is badass. Basically it's just a big dumb fun cartoon.

A little background, Pete Browngardt created the pilot "Uncle Grandpa" for cartoon network a few years back. Around the same time as the "Regular show" pilot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LvIG7MDSys

"Secret Mountain Fort Awesome" is based around the lives of 5 of the monsters that came out of the toilet in this short.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

IanJ posted:

A little background, Pete Browngardt created the pilot "Uncle Grandpa" for cartoon network a few years back. Around the same time as the "Regular show" pilot.

Back in 2009 when they did their pilot-off Uncle Grandpa was probably my favorite, so seeing that they're doing something is pretty great.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Neo Helbeast posted:

Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad is indeed amazing. It's clear that no one involved was taking it seriously and they were just doing whatever the hell they wanted.

There's actually some legitimately funny elements to it, though. Basically, KiloKahn (Tim Curry) wants to take over the world, but all Lex Luthor kid ever wants to use him for is playing petty pranks on the main characters. This means that every episode KiloKahn finds some way to blow Lex Luthor kid's evil scheme to a much larger scale.

An example of this being when Lex Luthor kid is trying to keep the heroes from reaching the school for a concert. KiloKahn does this by creating an impenetrable wall through the center of town...which also extends around the entire planet.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

IanJ posted:

Hee! DOS-RAM.

"But I only know how to be a victim!"

I really hope we'll be seeing more of Uncle Grandpa himself, because that was incredible.

Rocketlex posted:

Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad is indeed amazing. It's clear that no one involved was taking it seriously and they were just doing whatever the hell they wanted.

There's actually some legitimately funny elements to it, though. Basically, KiloKahn (Tim Curry) wants to take over the world, but all Lex Luthor kid ever wants to use him for is playing petty pranks on the main characters. This means that every episode KiloKahn finds some way to blow Lex Luthor kid's evil scheme to a much larger scale.

An example of this being when Lex Luthor kid is trying to keep the heroes from reaching the school for a concert. KiloKahn does this by creating an impenetrable wall through the center of town...which also extends around the entire planet.

Judging by the main characters, it also appears to be a stealth-endorsement for Vidal Sassoon.

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 1, 2011

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Farbtoner posted:

Back in 2009 when they did their pilot-off Uncle Grandpa was probably my favorite, so seeing that they're doing something is pretty great.

I'm still sad that we're never going to see more of Danger Planet. That was my favorite one

IanJ
Dec 27, 2003

a real magic skeleton

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Hee! DOS-RAM.

"But I only know how to be a victim!"

I really hope we'll be seeing more of Uncle Grandpa himself, because that was incredible.

drat I really wish I could give future episode spoilers! SMFA pretty much takes place in the same "universe" as Uncle Grandpa, though. You won't see him in this preview episode but the sense of humor is intact.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Secret Mountain Fort Awesome makes me feel like I did watching the What a Cartoon Show back in in like 1997. I'm not really sure if that's good or bad.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

The music for SMFA was done by Mike Conte from Early Man.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

SMFA is awesome.

Particularly the dude that's just a bunch of butts

Seventh_Samurai
Jul 5, 2007
dick blick
I can't think of where else a question like this would go, so here it is.

There was an episode of some cartoon that centered around flushing all the toilets in school under the idea that the pressure would cause the school to explode or something. The entire time they were trying to get into the principal's personal bathroom and in the end he joined with them to flush the toilets. For some reason I think it was a Hey Arnold! episode, but I can't find anything about it. Does anyone know what show it was? It's been driving me nuts.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Seventh_Samurai posted:

There was an episode of some cartoon that centered around flushing all the toilets in school under the idea that the pressure would cause the school to explode or something. The entire time they were trying to get into the principal's personal bathroom and in the end he joined with them to flush the toilets. For some reason I think it was a Hey Arnold! episode, but I can't find anything about it. Does anyone know what show it was? It's been driving me nuts.

Oh yeah, that's totally a Hey Arnold episode. I don't know which one, but that's totally a Hey Arnold episode.

Man, that show was pretty consistently awesome, right up until the end.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Seventh_Samurai posted:

There was an episode of Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide that was exactly like that, but it's not a cartoon. Now that you mention it, they might have ripped the idea straight from something else.

Seventh_Samurai
Jul 5, 2007
dick blick

FELD1 posted:

There was an episode of Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide that was exactly like that, but it's not a cartoon. Now that you mention it, they might have ripped the idea straight from something else.

That's what I was thinking of. I kept imagining as a cartoon for some reason, but like you said, it's probably from something else too.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

It's a pretty popular urban legend.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Hey Arnold! came out near the end of my Nickelodeon watching time, so I didn't watch many episodes of it. After watching a couple of episodes on Netflix Instant, though, I've found out that it's really great. My favorite Nicktoon growing up was Rocko's Modern Life, and even though they're two very different shows, I have to say that Hey Arnold! is better. It captures the soul of living in a city well, and I can't get enough of the jazzy soundtrack.

Helga is extremely creepy, though.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Dan Castellaneta is the grandpa too.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Y-Hat posted:

Hey Arnold! came out near the end of my Nickelodeon watching time, so I didn't watch many episodes of it. After watching a couple of episodes on Netflix Instant, though, I've found out that it's really great. My favorite Nicktoon growing up was Rocko's Modern Life, and even though they're two very different shows, I have to say that Hey Arnold! is better. It captures the soul of living in a city well, and I can't get enough of the jazzy soundtrack.

Helga is extremely creepy, though.

Make sure you watch the movie too! I loved Hey Arnold (and I liked the way they handled the Arnold and Helga thing at the end of the movie as well)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

So, according to Man Of Action, there's a Ben 10 and Generator Rex crossover in the works for Thanksgiving. All I'm hoping for out of it is Rex calling Ben an rear end in a top hat.