Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

DahtBard posted:

Wasn't he the Kingsguard sent to get Myrcella from Dorne? Y'know, because Oakheart got Darkstar'd. Also throwing in some love for the Areo Hotah POV; I don't get why Barristan gets all the love for being a badass sentry and Hotah doesn't.

Ahh that could be. Sometimes it feels like a couple Kingsguard are missing.

However,

1) Jaime Lannister
2) Meryn Trant
3) Boros Blount
4) Balon Swann
5) Osmond Kettleblack (does he count? in a dungeon)
6) Loras Tyrell (now crispy)
7) Robert Strong (this will be an interesting reveal since it's almost TOO obvious)

Yep, ok forgot about Balon Swann, had to look it up.

Also Hotah does own. *shrug* "someone told"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Hat
Jun 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Catiline posted:

I was re-reading Kevan's chapter and I noticed that Boros Blount (food taster) doesn't seem to be in a good way. Perhaps someone's trying to poison Tommen?

Nah, if it was that slow-acting of a poison Tommen would have eaten it too. I wouldn't put it past Varys though to poison Boros' food as he seems to be eradicating everything stable in King's Landing.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

priznat posted:

Was Meryn Trant mentioned in ADWD? I can't recall.. He's gonna get his for killing Syrio :argh:

He was mentioned in Arya's 'prayer'.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hotah and Selmy should get together for a beer sometime.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

DahtBard posted:

Wasn't he the Kingsguard sent to get Myrcella from Dorne? Y'know, because Oakheart got Darkstar'd. Also throwing in some love for the Areo Hotah POV; I don't get why Barristan gets all the love for being a badass sentry and Hotah doesn't.

Because Selmy is an actual character and Hotah is a glorified extra with an Axe.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

Valithan posted:

I feel like the series is slowly turning into Harry Potter as well; at this point everything is loving magical. The prominence of magic/generic fantasy stuff has slowly increased as the series goes on to the point where the only POV that doesn't feature anything high fantasy are the Theon/Reek ones (I don't think it's a coincidence that people seem to like his chapters the best in ADWD). Part of the reason the Manderly bit is so satisfying/the Theon POVs are good is because it goes back to what the earlier books were about : the different houses/hidden motivations/allegiances/rivalries/ ect.

I dunno, I still think it's being handled pretty well.

There were hints all along that actual fantasy stuff was about to start happening. It's not like you couldn't see it coming a mile away from like the prologue of book 1.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

DahtBard posted:

Barristan is a lot more active towards the end of the book. He also said he was planning something for the hostages, and you just know it's going to be awesome - that is, of course, presuming the trebuchets at the end weren't pitching the hostages into the city, rather than plague victims (they said corpses, actually, so it's probably plague victims).

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What he has planned for the hostages is explicitly spelled out in one of the PoVs. He makes a promise to one of the merc companies that if they infiltrate & get the hostages back he'll give them a reward. This was before the plague corpses thing, the hostages are probably toast, but who knows? GRRM is a bad writer and the only method of dramatic tension he knows is the cliffhanger so we'll literally get to wait 6 years to find out

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My main problem with the 5th book is how many new loose end it has opened. So many twists are relied on newly introduced characters. It basically....has changed the game rule of the series so much that its impossible to predict the future books.

On the other hand, quite a few of the secrets that I care about (for example, the true motive of Varys and Illyrio) has revealed. I find myself not as eager to look forward to the next book as I did with ADWD.

There are quite a few secrets I am sure will only reveal in the final book, for example,

* The deal with Rheagar and Lyanna
* The deal with Ashara
* The Others
* The importance of Bran

I actually doesn't care about these secrets myself. So if GRRM kicks the bucket, I will feel bad only because I won't be able to find out the result of these loose ends:

* Will Bronn come back and kcik major rear end?
* Will Ramsay Bolton get skinned?
* Will Tyrion find his wife?
* What will happen to Asha?

At these point, I can't think about other character I care about. Book 5 kind of hosed up both Jon and Dany for me. I don't care about them any more.

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The letter sent to Jon in his last chapter might not have been from Ramsay. There is only one other person that could have known the details in that letter, and that person is Mance Rayder.

Mance knows about the magic sword, and Melisandre.
Mance knows about the burning of the fake King-Beyond-the-Wall (which I don't think Jon told anyone but the wildlings about, making this something Ramsay would not know).
Mance knows he took 6 spearwives with him down to Winterfell.
Mance knows that Ramsay's bride is gone.

The writer demands for Queen Selyse, Shireen, Melisandre, Val, the "little prince", and Reek. At first, I wasn't sure how Mance would know about Reek, but then I realized at the end of Theon's 2nd to last chapter (A Ghost in Winterfell), Theon was on his way to tell Mance his story, which most likely happened off-screen before Theon helped Jeyne escape.

Note that the writer is asking for both Val and the "little prince". Would Ramsay be able to get this information out of Mance? I'm not too sure. Also, the "little prince" is Melisandre's justification for why Mance must do as he's told.

Some ideas regarding this theory:
1. Jon fights Rattleshirt not knowing that it's Mance. A metaphor for this letter, perhaps.
2. What was Mance up to at Winterfell? He mentioned some sort of "plot" in the Melisandre chapter.
3. Why did Melisandre swap Rattleshirt for Mance in the cage at the beginning of ADWD?
4. Melisandre might be a part of this, somehow. She was behaving somewhat oddly in Jon's last chapter. From her chapter, we know that she feels pain when the person with her "glamour" is suffering. Did Mance have his glamour on when he went to Winterfell? I don't remember.
5. Do you really think Mance would sit around in Winterfell doing nothing when the spearwives were sneaking Jeyne out? He knows the Winterfell castle better than anyone.
6. Why would Mance have the spearwives try to save Jeyne even though he knew it wasn't Arya? Mance was at Winterfell the night Robert came north to ask Ned to be his hand and surely caught a glimpse of Arya.
7. Does anyone even know what Mance looks like besides those who were north of the wall or those who were there to see the fake Mance burn? Mance seems hardened as gently caress, I'm not too sure torture could get his name out of him, much less that he has a child and "princess".

What do y'all think?

Lenin Stimpy fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 19, 2011

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
That is a really convincing argument.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
That Ramsay has captured and tortured Mance Rayder, as is implied in the letter, is simply more plausible. Ramsay has written the letter and include in it some truth (he has Mance, he believes Jeyne has escaped) and some lies (Stannis dead - we know this is highly unlikely because Jeyne is with Stannis). We know the escape went wrong, we know they got separated from Mance, we know at least a couple of the spearwives are dead or captured. The details that only Mance could know is Ramsay's proof that he has Mance - it's in there to strengthen his lie at the start. Mance has no motivation to write it.

hampig fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 19, 2011

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
A little reminder on the exact content of the letter:

"Ramsay" posted:

Your false king is dead, bastard. He and all his host were smashed in seven days of battle. I have his magic sword. Tell his red whore.

Your false king’s friends are dead. Their heads upon the walls of Winterfell. Come see them, bastard. Your false king lied, and so did you. You told the world you burned the King-Beyond-the-Wall. Instead you sent him to Winterfell to steal my bride from me.

I will have my bride back. If you want Mance Rayder back, come and get him. I have him in a cage for all the north to see, proof of your lies. The cage is cold, but I have made him a warm cloak from the skins of the six whores who came with him to Winterfell.

I want my bride back. I want the false king’s queen. I want his daughter and his red witch. I want his wildling princess.

I want his little prince, the wildling babe. And I want my Reek. Send them to me, bastard, and I will not trouble you or your black crows. Keep them from me, and I will cut out your bastard’s heart and eat it.

Ramsay Bolton,
Trueborn Lord of Winterfell.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm back, baby.

So, Mance sent the letter, Lord Fat ate the Freys, Zombie Drogo, Zombie Gregor, Jon Snow is definitively Azor Ahai, the Banker tipped off Stannis, the Maesters have changed history, and Bran is an ent.

What else happened?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hampig posted:

That Ramsay has captured and tortured Mance Rayder, as is implied in the letter, is simply more plausible. Ramsay has written the letter and include in it some truth (he has Mance, he believes Jeyne has escaped) and some lies (Stannis dead - we know this is highly unlikely because Jeyne is with Stannis). We know the escape went wrong, we know they got separated from Mance, we know at least a couple of the spearwives are dead or captured. The details that only Mance could know is Ramsay's proof that he has Mance - it's in there to strengthen his lie at the start. Mance has no motivation to write it.

Although if Ramsay sent it, you'd expect him to send a piece of Mance, wouldn't you?

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
You can send a piece of skin from anyone, that information could only have come from Mance.

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

"But I've been twelve for a very long time"

Tony Danza Claus posted:

I'm back, baby.

So, Mance sent the letter, Lord Fat ate the Freys, Zombie Drogo, Zombie Gregor, Jon Snow is definitively Azor Ahai, the Banker tipped off Stannis, the Maesters have changed history, and Bran is an ent.

What else happened?

Dany got Montezuma's Revenge and Pretty the Pig was eaten by a hermaphrodite.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Neurosis posted:

Barristan is a lot more active towards the end of the book. He also said he was planning something for the hostages, and you just know it's going to be awesome - that is, of course, presuming the trebuchets at the end weren't pitching the hostages into the city, rather than plague victims (they said corpses, actually, so it's probably plague victims).

It's hostages. They specifically say "all six."

There were 7, except the admiral got his head lopped off prior to that.

e: removed the rest; I don't understand how this thread works :(

FairGame fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 19, 2011

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hampig posted:

Mance has no motivation to write it.

He wants his babby

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wow. Lots of book talk going on in here. Almost didn't recognize the place... Anywho, it just doesn't strike me as a ploy Mance would pull. I think he would be much more clever than just sending an angry letter.

Ghost Hat
Jun 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

hampig posted:

In the GRRM universe, all conjecture is a lie. Anything written on paper is a lie. And if Martin cuts away from the scene to something else... anything heard about it afterwards is a lie.

Case-in-point: Davos' execution, Gregor's death, Bran and Rickon's murders, the Hound pillaging across Westeros

If we didn't read it, it didn't happen. Therefor Bolton got his butt kicked.

Edit: Maybe Job was stabbed because he wasn't supposed to go South after all? Up until then his honor and duty to the Wall were unquestionable. Maybe he was supposed to send Wildlings to fight for him and he messed up Melisandre's plans for something? Pure speculation.

Ghost Hat fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 19, 2011

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Regarding the Lannister inheritance from earlier - would Devan stand a chance to get it? Because he seems a pretty chill guy from his conversations with Jaime.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
But if mance wrote it why is he demanding ramsay's wife... :c00l:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait a second...

quote:

Ramsay Bolton,
Trueborn Lord of Winterfell

Isn't Big Daddy Bolton the Lord of Winterfell while he's alive? Further proof that Ramsay's off Roose's leash?

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

Decius posted:

Regarding the Lannister inheritance from earlier - would Devan stand a chance to get it? Because he seems a pretty chill guy from his conversations with Jaime.

If/when Cersei is removed, it would pass to Kevan's children (since Tyrion was attainted). So, Lancel if he can still inherit, or Martyn if he can't.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Fly Molo posted:

Wait a second...

Isn't Big Daddy Bolton the Lord of Winterfell while he's alive? Further proof that Ramsay's off Roose's leash?

I think Ramsay is Lord of Winterfell by virtue of his marriage to Fake Arya. Roose is still Lord of the Dreadfort and Warden of the North.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wow. Lots of book talk going on in here. Almost didn't recognize the place... Anywho, it just doesn't strike me as a ploy Mance would pull. I think he would be much more clever than just sending an angry letter.

I like that theory specifically because it sounds exactly like something Mance would do. Let's not forget this is the guy who decided to go sneaking into Winterfell to see the king's party way back in GoT. And jovial as he sometimes seems, he gives the impression that he'd gladly gently caress Jon / Stannis for everything they pulled on 'his people.'

Fly Molo posted:

Nah, Ramsay got Winterfell by virtue of 'Arya.' Daddy Roose is the Lord of the Dreadfort.

E:f;b

E2: The Kingsguardian sent to retrieve Myrcella/deliver 'Gregor's' head was Balon Swann. I can't recall Trant being mentioned at all in the last two books, but I may be misremembering.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Trant was in the Kevan epilogue. Kevan notes Trant guarding the bridge to Maegor's holdfast, and then notes Blount (being fat and weak) as he enters the room Cersei and Tommen (and Ser Pounce) are in.

So,

Jaime Lannister - with Brienne
Loras Tyrell - dying at Dragonstone
Osmund Kettleblack - in a dungeon
Balon Swann - in Dorne
Meryn Trant - with Tommen
Boros Blount - with Tommen
Zombie Gregor - poised for rape

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 19, 2011

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
And while he's no Kingsguard, Littlefinger is with Sansa in the Vale.

I really hope that the intended endgame of Arya's and Sansa's story is that they reconciliate and work together on bringing Littlefinger down. Sansa can do the spying scheming stuff, and Arya the stabby sneaky stuff. The outcome: sisterly love forever, feeling of warmth and goodness spreading inside.

... meanwhile, I'm really curious what Littlefinger intends to do in the current situation. The story has really moved away from him, hasn't it? Is he even still a player?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Well Littlefinger's endgame is to seize as much power for himself, which is fine except for the fact that the more he mucks things up the weaker the kingdoms will be against the Others when they come pouring through the Wall.

Varys on the other hand seems to be sewing chaos in order to ensure an orderly transition to a Targ government which has dragons that can melt Others.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

FairGame posted:

It's hostages. They specifically say "all six."

There were 7, except the admiral got his head lopped off prior to that.

e: removed the rest; I don't understand how this thread works :(

I thought it was hostages because of the "all six" but if you recall all the relatives of the king got returned already (obviously meaning he is in on the whole thing) so there are only like 3 left... Daario, (hope he dies) the Unsullied Hero, and Jhogo the bloodrider. So I think its just plaguebodies.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Habibi posted:

There HAS to be something up with Patchface, there just HAS to be. I don't know if it's the lines Martin gave him, or the way he's been written, or the reaction to him from several characters / Melisandre, but there's going to be some weird poo poo going on with him. I have no idea what it's going to be or how or when or why, but SOMETHING will happen.

It is interesting to note that he was the sole survivor of the storm that brought Lord Steffon Baratheon (Robert's, Stannis' and Renly's father back from one of the free cities. They send message that they had found a jester that would even make Stannis smile). The ship sunk and everybody died except Patchface, which has been making these weird jests/prophecies/visions since then.

meristem posted:

... meanwhile, I'm really curious what Littlefinger intends to do in the current situation. The story has really moved away from him, hasn't it? Is he even still a player?

Yes, I think he is. If his plan works out (marry Sansa to Harry the Heir, have Sansa inherrit Winterfell), he will be the defacto power behind the throne of the Vale, the North, and a big part of the riverlands via Harrenhall.

If now the Golden Company + Dorne fight Highgarden + Lannister, and it comes to a pyrrhic victory for one them, he will have the single-most power army on the continent. Paxton Redwyne and the Ironborn can do something similar.

Here is a 3-part essay on Littlefinger. I think it is one of the weaker from Tower of the Hand, but still a decent read.
http://towerofthehand.com/blog/2011/03/29-mockingbird-part-1-as-high-as/index.html

OperaMouse fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jul 19, 2011

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

bigmcgaffney posted:

Must needs, leal, neeps, 'biggest breasts ever seen' and 'WHERE DO WHORES GO' were overused and obnoxious.

Much and more. Much and more.

Untimely Brigand
Mar 28, 2007

Lenin Stimpy posted:

The letter sent to Jon in his last chapter might not have been from Ramsay. There is only one other person that could have known the details in that letter, and that person is Mance Rayder.

One thing that stood out to me after seeing this was how Ramsay's handwriting is shown as "huge, spiky hand," where there's no mention of that in Jon's. I know for certain it's in the Wayward Bride chapter. I'm trying to remember the other spots I've seen it, but I can't recall. Maybe the Davos chapter when he meets with Manderly?

Also, whereas Ramsay's letter to Asha was done "in a hard button of pink wax" this was a "smear." If anything, Ramsay has shown himself as a lover of routine--maybe he'd be OCD about his sealing. A stretch, but the words conjure different images.

The signing as Trueborn Lord of Winterfell is also interesting, since Ramsay didn't do that in his other letters.

One other thing that came up for me is the mention of Reek--I doubt anyone on the wall would know who he is. Mance, on the other hand...

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Untimely Brigand posted:

One thing that stood out to me after seeing this was how Ramsay's handwriting is shown as "huge, spiky hand," where there's no mention of that in Jon's. I know for certain it's in the Wayward Bride chapter. I'm trying to remember the other spots I've seen it, but I can't recall. Maybe the Davos chapter when he meets with Manderly?

Also, whereas Ramsay's letter to Asha was done "in a hard button of pink wax" this was a "smear." If anything, Ramsay has shown himself as a lover of routine--maybe he'd be OCD about his sealing. A stretch, but the words conjure different images.

The signing as Trueborn Lord of Winterfell is also interesting, since Ramsay didn't do that in his other letters.

One other thing that came up for me is the mention of Reek--I doubt anyone on the wall would know who he is. Mance, on the other hand...

One other things about the letters that they noted on Westeros is that the Umber currently inside Winterfell actually attended the Citadel for a while, but didn't left with a chain. There is no way that he cannot read and write. So why does he sign with drawing a giant?
Is he a "false" Umber (a distant relative or loyal servant from somewhere to protect the real one), or is he signing with a false signature to protect his vows? In other words, another northern lord/house loyal to the Starks, that plays along with the Boltons and Freys until it's time for revenge.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
The Trueborn Lord of Winterfell is just Ramsay loving with Jon by showing how he has everything Jon wanted were it not for his vows.

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

So I'm guessing Melisandre knows Jon is Azor Ahai? I mean, the number of times she's gone "I'm looking for Azor Ahai but all i see is SNOW", she must have figured it out by now.

Boy Wunder
Dec 2, 2000

Just finished reading it today. After the discussion on Varys' whereabouts in the last thread, I was pretty :smug: when it turned out he stayed put in King's Landing, just like I predicted. Really surprised he acted so directly, though, and against the type of person he seems to admire.

So, what do you guys think is going to happen to Bran when Bloodraven or someone else finds out he's been warging into Hodor? Varamyr's mentors told him that warging into another human would make him an abomination, and it's clear that Hodor doesn't like it when it happens.

I also completely didn't pick up that Manderly had turned his Freys into meat pies, although it did seem obvious that he had something to do with their disappearances. Manderly completely kicked rear end in this book. Is it obvious where he sent Davos and I missed it or is it still unclear?

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Boy Wunder posted:

Just finished reading it today. After the discussion on Varys' whereabouts in the last thread, I was pretty :smug: when it turned out he stayed put in King's Landing, just like I predicted. Really surprised he acted so directly, though, and against the type of person he seems to admire.

So, what do you guys think is going to happen to Bran when Bloodraven or someone else finds out he's been warging into Hodor? Varamyr's mentors told him that warging into another human would make him an abomination, and it's clear that Hodor doesn't like it when it happens.

I also completely didn't pick up that Manderly had turned his Freys into meat pies, although it did seem obvious that he had something to do with their disappearances. Manderly completely kicked rear end in this book. Is it obvious where he sent Davos and I missed it or is it still unclear?

No idea what happens to Bran. The fact that he is cripple, and Hodor is a simpleton might redeem him a bit.

Davos is probably sent to Skagos, the cannibal island off the east coast of Westeros, roughly at the same latitude as the Wall.

Here is a list with lost of small things that might not have been immediately obvious to you.
http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/53780-adwd-spoilers-all-of-the-little-things/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Groke posted:

Much and more. Much and more.

He was not wrong.