Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

The Kins posted:

Strangely absent: An upgrade to a ZDoom build that isn't over ten years old.

Oh well. Maybe next time.

Dammit, I was hoping ZDaemon would be more current.

I just don't get this stuff. I know not very many people work on Skulltag and Zdaemon, and they're doing it for free, but I've looked for myself and a lot of the significant changes to the ZDoom code are *simple*, and even the simplest extended and new functions can provide a lot of value for mods.

They really ought to open up the source code for their projects. Doing so doesn't necessarily cause rampant hacking and cheating, since other games have done it before. Even a closed-source game isn't immune to the simplest hacks that don't depend on knowing the source code.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
I think the funniest thing about Nightmare is that the very last map of Doom is easier than its Ultra-Violence equivalent. In that map, you're fighting the Spider Mastermind in a wide arena with a few other high-powered demons thrown at you. A few rockets are scattered around the edges. In Ultra-Violence, it's a brutal challenge, but in Nightmare, the ammo is doubled and the respawning monsters makes it possible to inspire infighting to a point where you don't have to fire a single shot.

But every other level is rendered heinously difficult, so it's a trade-off.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

Jesus christ, Thy Flesh Consumed is :gonk:

Seriously, seems like you spend about 60% of that episode walking on lava.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I'm really liking Heretic so far. At first I thought it'd just be Doom with a medieval gothic reskin but all the different elements go a long way to make it feel like its own game. The weapons are more or less analogs to those in Doom but they have little touches that make them different too, like the ethereal crossbow shooting out three slow-moving projectiles. And who needs a chainsaw when you have lightning hands? :science:

Also I find it amusing the first and most common enemy grunt throw those slow-rear end imp fireballs whenever they're away from you.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

iastudent posted:

I'm really liking Heretic so far. At first I thought it'd just be Doom with a medieval gothic reskin but all the different elements go a long way to make it feel like its own game. The weapons are more or less analogs to those in Doom but they have little touches that make them different too, like the ethereal crossbow shooting out three slow-moving projectiles. And who needs a chainsaw when you have lightning hands? :science:

Also I find it amusing the first and most common enemy grunt throw those slow-rear end imp fireballs whenever they're away from you.

The Hexen/Heretic series is still one of my all-time favorites for the atmosphere/universe alone.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

To add on, I'm in the second episode and an alternate exit in a secret area took me to the Glacier. Am I safe in assuming that's the secret level?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

iastudent posted:

To add on, I'm in the second episode and an alternate exit in a secret area took me to the Glacier. Am I safe in assuming that's the secret level?

Yes, The Glacier is a secret level.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Funkmaster General posted:

The Hexen/Heretic series is still one of my all-time favorites for the atmosphere/universe alone.

I do enjoy Heretic, but I was never really able to get in to Hexen. Some cool ideas with the hubs and whatnot, but I never found it all that fun to actually play, because the weapon selection is so limited - you spend most of the game using the same attack, or the same two attacks, over and over. Contrast Heretic, which is unstinting with the ammo for everything, or even Doom, which - so far - seems to encourage shotgun use over everything else, but at least gives you five other weapons and enough ammo to use them occasionally.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

co199 posted:

I really think Knee Deep in the Dead has and will continue to stand the test of time from a game design standpoint. It has excellent pacing and keeps the suspense up while very slowly ramping up the difficulty.

Yeah. Also, E1M1 is a raygun.

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

In other early FPS gaming news Marathon was recently ported to the iPad. It's free to download and plays alright (I haven't played Doom or Wolf3d on iPhone/iPad so I can't compare it). It looks like it was based off a recent AlephOne build with a few interface tweaks.

While the game is free, you can spend a few dollars for a high-res patch that according to most reports only looks marginally better than the standard graphics, and "Master Chief" mode which introduces cheats and level warping for weak console babies who can't handle a real man's game.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

iPad owners must close Marathon and launch a separate "settings" program if they wish to turn the music volume down.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Vertigus posted:

iPad owners must close Marathon and launch a separate "settings" program if they wish to turn the music volume down.

That's actually not too different from how "normal" Aleph One works - you have to quit to the main menu to change any settings, including sound volume or controls. :sigh:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Maxwell Adams posted:

And what's holding it? Why, it's the Slough of Despair! :chord:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
It must be awkward trying to hold anything with that growth on the tip of your middle finger.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong

ChuckDHead posted:

Having only played Doom properly for the first time recently, I will say this for it: it's amazing just how much of a "WHAT THE HELL?" moment the ending to episode 1 is, even this many years on.

I still don't quite understand what happens. You're supposed to die, right?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

bleedbackwards posted:

I still don't quite understand what happens. You're supposed to die, right?

The canon is that you die and are sent to purgatory (The Shores of Hell) if I remember correct. What's odd about this scene is that it's, well, scripted, and I can't recall anything else in Doom like this.

You would think that the teleporter brings you to a dark room with a damaging floor with demons that wreck you, but this isn't the case. Even turning on God Mode and noclipping yourself into the room kills you and I still don't understand how :psyduck:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

The canon is that you die and are sent to purgatory (The Shores of Hell) if I remember correct. What's odd about this scene is that it's, well, scripted, and I can't recall anything else in Doom like this.

You would think that the teleporter brings you to a dark room with a damaging floor with demons that wreck you, but this isn't the case. Even turning on God Mode and noclipping yourself into the room kills you and I still don't understand how :psyduck:

According to the Doom Wiki it's unique sector type that ignores god mode, steadily drops your health to 11%, and ends the level when it falls below that point. It also prevents your health from falling below 1% so you don't actually die.

Also made a great end to the shareware episode.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
I always try to drag it out and kill as many monsters as I can before it ends.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm considering turning it down to Hey, Not Too Rough for Thy Flesh Consumed; I'm having more trouble with the first level in that than I did with the last few levels in Inferno.

Mak0rz posted:

It fades to black before you die. I'm pretty sure the canon is that you get ambushed and lose most of your gear (which explains why you start tSoH with just a pistol). You don't need to be "sent" anywhere, since you end KDitD by stepping into the Phobos end of the Phobos <-> Deimos teleporter.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Maxwell Adams posted:

:psyboom:

17 years and I never noticed this!

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
Actually it's an early prototype of the Portal boots.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Convex posted:

:psyboom:

17 years and I never noticed this!

The chaingun sound is just the pistol sound repeated really fast.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Maxwell Adams posted:

The bushes in Mario are just pallet swaps of the clouds.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Maxwell Adams posted:

Chaingun dudes and the Spider Mastermind use the shotgun sound for their chainguns, including the reloading sound.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
The chaingun guy's appearance was modeled after id's landlord at the time.

BigEyeGuy
Sep 4, 2009
Thanks for laying the knowledge on me with Marathon
Never heard about it before as i did not own a Mac
You learn something every day :)

Download our game - Yaniv for The iOS for free

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

What I find odd about it is that Purgatory somehow ends up being on Deimos. Was it always there, or is the whole "dying and going to hell" thing not working correctly due to the invasion and Doomguy just really lucks out?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mr_Person posted:

What I find odd about it is that Purgatory somehow ends up being on Deimos. Was it always there, or is the whole "dying and going to hell" thing not working correctly due to the invasion and Doomguy just really lucks out?

As mentioned earlier, I'm pretty sure you don't die and I know you don't go to purgatory (what with starting the next episode in Hell and all).

When everything went to poo poo, Deimos was dragged into hell in its entirety. The reason everything went to poo poo is that the UAC was conducting experiments teleporting stuff between Phobos and Deimos. You end KDitD by stepping into the Phobos end of that teleporter, which spits you out on Deimos - now hovering over Hell itself. Purgatory is never mentioned or visited in the game.

vv Whether you die or not, I thought it was pretty clear that the reason you're on Deimos is that you teleported there; I'd also consider that evidence that you don't die, as otherwise you would wake up in Hell proper.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 19, 2011

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I always read it as you die and go to hell, and Deimos is in hell so that's where you end up.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I feel like you guys are thinking about this more than id ever did.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

tooooooo bad posted:

I feel like you guys are thinking about this more than id ever did.

I think, after they threw away or ignored the contents of the Doom Bible - playing cards as the demons invade on Tei Tenga being the most 'famous' - they made up a few sentences about a lone marine fighting the forces of HELL :black101: for the disk sleeve, and that was that.

By the time Quake was released and it had gone from a first-person Thor-em-up to a more Doom clone-y shooter, I'd imagine they realised there was no way to believably fit a story to the game, so they threw some poo poo about slipgates and enemy generals called Quake into a .txt file on the disc and called it a day. Fill in the blanks while you're shooting mans.

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!
I find Rise of the Triad impressive because of what it did with what it had. Special effects are no longer mind-blowing because, with rare exception, everything is done by generic computer work. The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad, The Ten Commandments, and Metropolis were amazing because of the time they were released and the tools they used.

Rise of the Triad has a level of ingenuity that is far too rare nowadays. Doom and Marathon (and UUW) were impressive because they could run smoothly on home computers. Rise of the Triad is impressive because 90 degree walls and TCP/IP.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
So, I'm playing Doom 1 now on Nightmare Difficulty while trying to find all secrets.

I'm sorry, but some of these secrets are just bullshit, I don't mind the challenge, but I'm looking through GameFAQs to find the secrets. There's no way I'm finding these on my own.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

hippieman posted:

Fortunately Marathon had more than 90 degree angles on walls.

That only made you run in circles until realising that is a boring mac game.

Im seriously having fun fighting for RoTT and Marathon, instead of CALL OF DUTY IS BETTER THAN BATTLEFIELD!!! makes us look :corsair:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

spincube posted:

By the time Quake was released and it had gone from a first-person Thor-em-up to a more Doom clone-y shooter, I'd imagine they realised there was no way to believably fit a story to the game, so they threw some poo poo about slipgates and enemy generals called Quake into a .txt file on the disc and called it a day. Fill in the blanks while you're shooting mans.

The Quake "storyline" is great because it reads exactly like it was written an hour before the game was actually released, which, given the development that game went through, would not surprise me at all.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Guillermus posted:

Im seriously having fun fighting for RoTT and Marathon, instead of CALL OF DUTY IS BETTER THAN BATTLEFIELD!!! makes us look :corsair:

Rise of the Triad, Marathon, Doom, all these games were groundbreaking in that nobody had done a first person shooter that well before. From a game design standpoint, they were more about playability than flash, although a fantastic sense of art direction helped them too - people remember imps from Doom - it's one of those iconic gaming monsters.

I love Call of Duty and Battlefield and they were innovative in their own way - Battlefield for the massive games, 32 on 32 or more, and Call of Duty for bringing that gritty, realistic, Saving Private Ryan feel to gaming. It's a natural evolution of gaming, I think.

That being said, I will always have Doom installed on any PC I own until the end of time because nothing beats grabbing a cold beer, cranking up some old-school thrash and blasting demons for hours on end.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Fag Boy Jim posted:

The Quake "storyline" is great because it reads exactly like it was written an hour before the game was actually released, which, given the development that game went through, would not surprise me at all.

And it's still way more interesting than Quake 2.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

THE HORSES rear end posted:

Rise of the Triad has a level of ingenuity that is far too rare nowadays. Doom and Marathon (and UUW) were impressive because they could run smoothly on home computers. Rise of the Triad is impressive because 90 degree walls and TCP/IP.

I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say here.

co199 posted:

I love Call of Duty and Battlefield and they were innovative in their own way - Battlefield for the massive games, 32 on 32 or more...

I think Dynamix would like a word with you. :colbert:

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Wikipedia Brown posted:

And it's still way more interesting than Quake 2.

To be fair, watching paint dry is way more interesting than Quake 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

ToxicFrog posted:

I think Dynamix would like a word with you. :colbert:

I'm making a distinction between "old-school" and "new school". IMO, Tribes is up there with UT99 and Q3A in landmark competitive FPS game. I know there were games before Battlefield that brought massive player-on-player action, but if you ask anyone today what game is synonymous with massive matches more than 6-on-6 matches, it's Battlefield (moreso with BF3 coming out).

To an extent, I see Call of Duty as an extension of the Counter-Strike mindset - a modern, tactical, small-squad shooter with fast matches, more than the epic, drawnout slugfests like Strike at Karkand.