Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
This misspelling of Ramsay is pervasive and very irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Rickon is on Skagos but where is Shaggydog

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I always thought that Rickon and Osha were hanging out in the mountains of the moon, what with the reference to Shaggydog eating goats.

If they're in Skagos there's at least a decent chance that we get to see :krad: Woolly Rhinos which would be amazing.

e; I'm disappointed that we haven't seen one of the raptors that Syrio mentioned seeing.

vvv: Yeah, Skagos is nominally sworn to Winterfell. They have noble houses (after a fashion) and everything.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 19, 2011

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Kainser posted:

e; I'm disappointed that we haven't seen one of the raptors that Syrio mentioned seeing.

They were otherwise engaged

Skagos at least has a ruling house so they are somewhat civilized. I always pictured them being a lot like the Thenns.

Decius fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 19, 2011

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
A nice catch from someone on the on the westeros forums:

quote:

Melisandre is a slave with no slave tattoo, I think her entire appearance could be a glamour.

Obviously, this means Melisandre is actually Syrio Forel.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

hampig posted:

A nice catch from someone on the on the westeros forums:

Obviously, this means Melisandre is actually Syrio Forel.
Did I miss something while reading the book? Isn't Melisandre from Asshai and has nothing at all to do with Volantis where they do mark slaves?

e; Then again, the only thing I remember from the Melisandre chapter is that Devan is in love with her :3:

vvv: Melisandre changing her looks does make sense. She's always described as incredibly beautiful and perfect.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 19, 2011

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Kainser posted:

Did I miss something while reading the book? Isn't Melisandre from Asshai and has nothing at all to do with Volantis where they do mark slaves?

e; Then again, the only thing I remember from the Melisandre chapter is that Devan is in love with her :3:

Yeah, I guess I assumed that she was born in Asshai, but sold into slavery as a red priestess somewhere we've seen (that's what all the Melony, Lot 73 business is about). We know she can't have been in Braavos since they don't allow slavery, so I figured that left Volantis. I suppose since we know nothing about it, it could all have been in Asshai.

hampig fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 19, 2011

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I just figured not all slaves got tattoos.

Maybe she's not from the same temple as Moroqqo, and she was a collared slave in Asshai.

Or it could be a glamour and she's a total freak witch.

So after her chapter and Jon's, what exactly do we know she can do? Glamours, shadow babies, and seeing visions she really sucks at interpreting. Everything else is smoke and mirrors tricks.

e: Thoros of Myr isn't tattooed either.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 19, 2011

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Dornishman shouldn't leave Dorne.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Tony Danza Claus posted:

So after her chapter and Jon's, what exactly do we know she can do? Glamours, shadow babies, and seeing visions she really sucks at interpreting. Everything else is smoke and mirrors tricks.

Well she can just flat out set poo poo on fire, which is kinda cool. Jury is out on the leeches/blood magic.

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop
You've all got it wrong. Patchface is the Many-Faced God, gonna kill everything

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Decius posted:

He was not wrong.

It's true that I am just a young girl and know little about the ways of forum posting...

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Habibi posted:

It's true that I am just a young girl and know little about the ways of forum posting...

The impression I got during those scenes is that whenever Dany said that, she thought she was being half coy, half :smug:, but everyone around her was just tired of her bullshit.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

DirtyRobot posted:

The impression I got during those scenes is that whenever Dany said that, she thought she was being half coy, half :smug:, but everyone around her was just tired of her bullshit.

The first time or two she used it it made some sense, as she was in many ways still a novice and they occurred during times when someone was trying to take advantage of her. By the middle of ADWD she just throws that poo poo out whenever. Got annoying.

Calef
Aug 21, 2007

Correct me if I'm wrong here. Tyrion picks out the redhead whore because he wanted to see some red bush. Then later he berated himself for picking a whore who looked like his wife. I assume he means Tysha. Is this the first clue as to Tysha's appearance?

Don't we know another Red Woman who had a troubled past? Maybe Asshai is where whores go.

Another thing I noticed: The Second Sons are my new favorite candidate for the valonqar, or at least make an excellent red herring.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

Anyone have any ideas why Val acts so weird about Greyscale?

Theory:

The Others utterly rampage everyone and sack all of civilization, leaving almost none alive, only to be infected by Greyscale and dying overnight. War of the Worlds style. The dragons, magic, and prophecies never really matter in the end.

lapse fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 19, 2011

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

lapse posted:

Theory:

The Others utterly rampage everyone and sack all of civilization, leaving almost none alive, only to be infected by Greyscale and dying overnight. War of the Worlds style. The dragons never really matter in the end.

I thought that people freak out about greyscale because it's the in-universe leprosy or scrofula, and - like most medieval real world people - the non-infected think the infected should be killed or isolated.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

lapse posted:

Theory:

The Others utterly rampage everyone and sack all of civilization, leaving almost none alive, only to be infected by Greyscale and dying overnight. War of the Worlds style. The dragons, magic, and prophecies never really matter in the end.

Dormant virus waiting for a suitable carrier? Dunno. In unrelated news, was the ending of War of the Worlds revolutionary for its time or did HG Wells not know how to end it? And suddenly...GERMS! THE END

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo, I did NOT notice that about the pies. I knew something was kind of off about them, with Manderly seeming kind of smug. I half expected them to be poisoned, but them Manderly eats one ravenously. That and the missing Freys...

I'm an idiot for not putting 2 and 2 together.

Roark posted:

I thought that people freak out about greyscale because it's the in-universe leprosy or scrofula, and - like most medieval real world people - the non-infected think the infected should be killed or isolated.

And with the wildlings, a disease like that could be like wildfire through the villages with no one to stop it.

And if what she said about greyscale coming back even after being cured (and Connington getting it), I could see a greyscale epidemic imminent in Westeros, with Jon C. or Shireen being Patient Zeros.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Lord Too-Fat has replaced HODOR as my favorite character.

Wicked burns as he guzzles lard, cannibalism, and plots within plots.

He's like a fat, :black101: Littlefinger.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Calef posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong here. Tyrion picks out the redhead whore because he wanted to see some red bush. Then later he berated himself for picking a whore who looked like his wife. I assume he means Tysha. Is this the first clue as to Tysha's appearance?

Don't we know another Red Woman who had a troubled past? Maybe Asshai is where whores go.

On the other side, the Tysha = Sailor's Wife theory got somewhat boosted now by the fact that her daughter was named "Lanna".

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

bengraven posted:

And with the wildlings, a disease like that could be like wildfire through the villages with no one to stop it.

And if what she said about greyscale coming back even after being cured (and Connington getting it), I could see a greyscale epidemic imminent in Westeros, with Jon C. or Shireen being Patient Zeros.
We have had no sign whatsoever of Greyscale being particularly virulent. Sure, it sucks to get it but it's not like there are Greyscale epidemics. Wildlings might not be able to treat it but that certainly doesn't mean that it destroys villages.

I'm going to assume that Val's fear of Greyscale and Shireen comes from wildling superstition and nothing more than that, much like people in medieval Europe were scared shitless of Lepers even though the chances of getting it from them were quite small.

e; Tysha is totally dead. (or she should be, every character from the past that have been mentioned doesn't have to show up again.)

e2; The Greyscale-people on the river were a bit different though where touching them apparently was enough to get it, so who knows. Maybe Connington will infect some people. Shireen should be entirely safe though.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 19, 2011

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

NihilCredo posted:

On the other side, the Tysha = Sailor's Wife theory got somewhat boosted now by the fact that her daughter was named "Lanna".

That's really a theory? Not everyone from the past needs to get famous. I rather see her as some beggar or some crofter's wife or dead than a famous whore we've already encountered.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Connington's dumb and should chop off his hand and then find a convenient "not greyscale" excuse.

Or go find a red priest to give him Victarion-style hot-dog hand.

Slackarius
Jul 30, 2006
Master of Slackery
At some point someone discussed the two different forms of greyscale. One is the slightly deforming kind that children might get, as seen in Princess Shireen. The other was referred to as the Grey Plague I believe, which can actually turn someone into "stone" as the people at the bridge were.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I don't know. Going from a gangbang to becoming the world's bestest whore sounds rather GRRMy.

Also, A Time for Wolves (Winds of Winter is dumb, and WoW is already an acronym for crap fantasy) better have a lot more of TORMUND MOTHERFUCKING GIANTSBANE.

Medieval dick jokes are the best dick jokes. :colbert:

Also, Dany's on her queenly period, and the Sun rose in the West and fell in the East (Martell), so what's the "mountains blowing in the wind like leaves" part of the 800th Dany prophecy?

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.

FairGame posted:

Connington's dumb and should chop off his hand and then find a convenient "not greyscale" excuse.

Or go find a red priest to give him Victarion-style hot-dog hand.

He'll probably do it as soon as he's in a battle and can get away with it.

Calef
Aug 21, 2007

Tony Danza Claus posted:

I don't know. Going from a gangbang to becoming the world's bestest whore sounds rather GRRMy.

Also, A Time for Wolves (Winds of Winter is dumb, and WoW is already an acronym for crap fantasy) better have a lot more of TORMUND MOTHERFUCKING GIANTSBANE.

Medieval dick jokes are the best dick jokes. :colbert:

Also, Dany's on her queenly period, and the Sun rose in the West and fell in the East (Martell), so what's the "mountains blowing in the wind like leaves" part of the 800th Dany prophecy?

Now that we know for a certainty that the Doom of Valyria was a massive volcanic event, I suspect there will be another such eruption, and whatever mountain that ends up being will blow in the wind.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Tony Danza Claus posted:

and the Sun rose in the West and fell in the East (Martell)

Holy gently caress, I completely didn't pick up on that!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Midnight- posted:

He'll probably do it as soon as he's in a battle and can get away with it.

No he won't. Dude's clearly decided that he's going to die from greyscale so long as he can get Aegon back on the throne. Nevermind the fact that there's been like 329032902390 characters in the series who have half a hand, 1 hand, 1 arm and still manage to kick rear end.

quote:

what's the "mountains blowing in the wind like leaves" part of the 800th Dany prophecy?
Zombie Gregor falls out of the new Tower of the Hand. Preferably due to Ser Pounce pushing him.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Some guys have suggested the dragons tearing the pyramids of Meereen apart.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
What evidence is there for the Sailor's Wife to be Tysha?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

FairGame posted:

No he won't. Dude's clearly decided that he's going to die from greyscale so long as he can get Aegon back on the throne. Nevermind the fact that there's been like 329032902390 characters in the series who have half a hand, 1 hand, 1 arm and still manage to kick rear end.
I got the impression that just chopping the offending appendage off is no guarantee that you're stopping the spread.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Calef posted:

Now that we know for a certainty that the Doom of Valyria was a massive volcanic event.

Haven't gotten that far, care to elaborate?

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Scoobi posted:

What evidence is there for the Sailor's Wife to be Tysha?

Not evidence as such, but it's possible that the trauma of being called a whore and being treated by one by her own husband might (in the GRRMiverse) lead to her becoming a prostitute who only sleeps with her "husbands".

whowhatwhere posted:

Haven't gotten that far, care to elaborate?

It's mentioned that all the hills and mountains around Old Valyria started spewing fire and smoke

Tony Danza Claus posted:

What about the seas going dry?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I just realized that the fact that Aeron Greyjoy apparently can survive while only drinking seawater is another sign that the Drowned God is real in some way.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

What about the seas going dry?

Dany notes that the Dothraki sea is dry.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

OperaMouse posted:

Dany notes that the Dothraki sea is dry.

Ah of course, I'm an idiot

DahtBard
Jan 7, 2011

Well, that's one way to do it.
So in the TV show (for those who didn't get the chance to see it) there were a few absolutely fantastic added scenes with just Varys and Littlefinger verbally dueling rather magnificently. They both spoke with high elegance, but also had a good amount of grudging respect buried in their words. Is their any way that they could be working together for the destabilization of the realm? Varys, it seems, is causing chaos throughout the realm in order to make Dany's return more triumphant (and kill some cold dead things but whatever, they got a Wall). Littlefinger clearly just wants to rule, not to be king, so a young, naive Targaryen in need of an adviser or even a Hand sounds like a role he would fill perfectly?

Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong medium, but the TV show really emphasized that those two truly control King's Landing, as well as Westeros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.

OperaMouse posted:

Some guys have suggested the dragons tearing the pyramids of Meereen apart.

Zombie Gregor's armor gets pierced in Cercei's trial by combat, and his inside blows away like dust.