Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

LordPants posted:

It's so odd watching Raven go from a main event star in ECW to a midcard goon in WCW. I guess it is like watching Daniel Bryan in WWE. :)

You should watch his WWE run next, where he went from midcard goon to bottom-of-the-card-jobbing-on-Heat goon, just to complete the Rise and Fall of Raven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Raven wasn't "just" a midcard guy in WCW but an extremely over midcard guy who got tons of TV time, his own faction and belts.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Yeah I was a huge Raven mark when he was in WCW.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lone Rogue posted:

Raven wasn't "just" a midcard guy in WCW but an extremely over midcard guy who got tons of TV time, his own faction and belts.

Even though he is over as sin, it's still odd because in ECW the entire show was built around him for a while, where as he's just another dude in WCW. Well, as you say, more than another dude.

Halloween Havok 98 - Jericho v. Raven. Man those themes are horrible, it's like they just reversed the intervals for Even Flow and Come As You Are. Infact, I'm sure that's just what they did. Doesn't make it any less horrible.

fake edit: in WCW's defense I really like the way they seemed let guys come in and wrestle their own matches. Raven's matches that I have seen seem to be ECW style brawls that he worked in ECW.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

LordPants posted:

Even though he is over as sin, it's still odd because in ECW the entire show was built around him for a while, where as he's just another dude in WCW.

I'm curious, are you saying this as someone who recognizes the sizes of the companies (WCW in 1997 being the biggest wrestling company in the world, ECW being a cult territory) and just finds it curious to see a guy once in a main event role as a midcarder, or are you putting WCW and ECW on the same level?

It's really no different than Justin Angel being FCW Champion and Justin Gabriel being Smackdown midcarder.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Lone Rogue posted:

I'm curious, are you saying this as someone who recognizes the sizes of the companies (WCW in 1997 being the biggest wrestling company in the world, ECW being a cult territory) and just finds it curious to see a guy once in a main event role as a midcarder, or are you putting WCW and ECW on the same level?

It's really no different than Justin Angel being FCW Champion and Justin Gabriel being Smackdown midcarder.

I think you're over-thinking it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Pneub posted:

I think you're over-thinking it.

No, he's right. In ECW he was a big fish, but WCW was a loving ocean by comparison.

No one came out of ECW as a ready-made main-eventer, because ECW was rightly considered to be small potatoes compared to WCW and WWE. People like to refer to these companies as the "Big 3", but really they were more the "Big 2.5".

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Raven was exactly where he needed to be in WCW. He was great, and one of the most over midcarders in the company, but there just wasn't enough room for him in a company where Sting, Hogan, the NWO, and Goldberg were the top guys.

If none of those guys were the main event, DDP, Raven, Benoit, Jericho, Booker T and El Dandy could have been the best main event scene in either company as far as character and wrestling ability went.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Raven did a lot better than Hardcore Hak.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
What about Silver King? If he buys eight more subs he upgrades to Gold King!

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

I loved that one N64 video game cover that had four wrestlers on the cover. Hogan for Black and White, Nash for Red and Black, Goldberg for WCW, and Raven for the Flock. Like they were saying the Flock was the fourth biggest group on the show.

I might be wrong on the two NWO guys, but I know Raven was on the cover of that game.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Nope, you're correct. WCW/nWo Revenge split up wrestlers based on category. Flock had their own category, same with nWo Hollywood and nWo Wolfpack. Odd enough the Four Horsemen didn't get one but oh well.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

I think they needed a non-nWo heel, so they just went with Raven.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

PoO3 posted:

going back to heenans commentary in wcw, i'll never forget this moment.
schiavone just saying something ridiculous about hacksaw and brain just cracking the gently caress up for the whole match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afNOqwJrT8s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts7c1SlTbJg&NR=1

He is the greatest

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Pneub posted:

I think they needed a non-nWo heel, so they just went with Raven.

Hogan and Goldberg have a staredown while Nash also glares at Goldberg. Raven looks at the viewer with a combination of apathy and boredom.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

WCW Saturday nights were the best.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

WCW/NWO Revenge was a fantastic game.

I used to beat Hogan by KO over and over simply because the animation of him crumpling was so funny.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Neodoomium posted:

I used to beat Hogan by KO over and over simply because the animation of him crumpling was so funny.

You had to rename the characters though to maximize the joy of WCW/NWO Revenge. I'll never forget "Goldturd," "Eric Bitchoff" and Konnan as "Panty Hose Face."

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Neodoomium posted:

I was too lazy to learn how the grappling worked, so I would just play as Eric Bichoff and dominate with karate.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

The Wise Teen posted:

You had to rename the characters though to maximize the joy of WCW/NWO Revenge. I'll never forget "Goldturd," "Eric Bitchoff" and Konnan as "Panty Hose Face."

This is a shared experience by anyone growing up playing these games, I guess. I can't remember all the names we made up, but a lot of them are offensive looking back on it :ohdear:

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

triplexpac posted:

This is a shared experience by anyone growing up playing these games, I guess. I can't remember all the names we made up, but a lot of them are offensive looking back on it :ohdear:

I can't remember what we called him but we changed Goldberg's whole color scheme to hot pink.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I will never forget when I learned about the glitch that allowed you to "Kill" Hulk Hogan in WCW vs nWo World Tour. I think you had to continually put him in a sleeper in a 4 way match with submissions turned off (or maybe it was just chokeslams... something involving the neck or choking) and after enough of them he would fall to the outside, flop and never get up. He would just be dead.

I swear this was actually a thing and you could make it so wrestlers would lay on the mats outside untargettable and unmoving. I may be off on some of the specifics but hopefully someone else remembers.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

MassRayPer posted:

I will never forget when I learned about the glitch that allowed you to "Kill" Hulk Hogan in WCW vs nWo World Tour. I think you had to continually put him in a sleeper in a 4 way match with submissions turned off (or maybe it was just chokeslams... something involving the neck or choking) and after enough of them he would fall to the outside, flop and never get up. He would just be dead.

I swear this was actually a thing and you could make it so wrestlers would lay on the mats outside untargettable and unmoving. I may be off on some of the specifics but hopefully someone else remembers.

I remember doing this with Luger and the torture rack. When the camera zoomed around after you won they would not be moving.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Being able to rip off cruiserweights masks was great.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
There was a bug in one of the games where you could lock up with someone and then your partner would have to stab your opponent with a chair. You'd be stuck in the grapple until you did a move, but the opponent would trot off to do whatever they wanted. Eventually you could just execute like a powerbomb out of nowhere and it looked incredibly silly without someone actually performing it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Yeah I'm a blue Shrek, guy
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵

The Wise Teen posted:

There were something like eighty wrestlers in that game, and four outfits/names for each one. So three hundred and twenty possible names and my friends and I changed every single one of them.

Bulk Hoagie, Nacho Man Randy Bush, Joe Nazareth, Scott Alcohallic, etc.

Shut up, we were fifteen.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Nothing in the WCW games will ever match the sheer WTF-ness of WCW Thunder's dance mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHY7WAfEMtI

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

blunt posted:

Nothing in the WCW games will ever match the sheer WTF-ness of WCW Thunder's dance mode.

Thunder and Nitro were such weird games with the monster characters and crazy stages. If the game had better (any) playability I probably would have loved it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lone Rogue posted:

I am indeed aware of the differences in size between WCW and ECW.

I was just observing. :)

Also, any Paul Heyman promotion is a meritocracy I believe. The same can't be said of WCW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LordPants posted:

Also, any Paul Heyman promotion is a meritocracy I believe. The same can't be said of WCW.

You are going to have to explain this.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My understanding is fat or short, technical or brawler if you could do anything Paul Heyman had you doing that, and if you were good at what you did you would be higher up the card.

I believed Raven to be pretty charasmatic, have a good gimmick, good on the stick and could hold his own in the ring. So he was enough to be a main eventer in ECW. And now i'm not saying that he'd be a main eventer in WCW but in ECW he had enough.

WCW you had your Jerichos, your Mysterios, your Benoits, your Guerreros all of which are stuck in the middle of the card no matter how good they are at what they did. I was under the impression that in ECW your height or weight was never held against you, you were just booked to do what you could do best and if you got over, great.

This ties into my original thoughts on Raven, because no matter how good he was or how popular he was he wasn't going to wrestle Sting or Hogan.

Captain Kickass
Jan 12, 2007

by angerbeet

Lone Rogue posted:

I'm pretty sure the gimmick was Juvi's idea because he did it after leaving WCW. He must have thought, "gently caress, I'm more talented than the Rock! All he does is says a bunch of catch phrases! I can do that too!" and then went out and created... The Juice.

God bless acid.

One of my favorite Rock burns was when Jericho first came to WWF and Rock said something like "While you were wrestling guys named Juventud..."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Anyone else unlock Wrath through Gameshark? He wore Sting's tights and his finisher didn't have any sound effect, but if you used him with Gameshark and won a title with him, he permanently became part of the game.

triplexpac posted:

I may have mentioned this before, but the only name change me and my friend ever did was inexplicably turn Dr. Frank into "Burt Lancaster". I'm not sure why we did it or what it even meant, but to us it was hilarious.

I recall also changing Nash's clothes to Sting's and pretending he was the Undertaker.

One fun memory of that game is about 3 years after it came out, me and my friend were going through the entire roster and reflecting on what's become of each wrestler, one-by-one. Then we reached the fictional characters based on Japanese wrestlers and decided to start making things up.

"AKI Man? Got arrested for beastiality."

"I remember that!"

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

blunt posted:

I love the thought of a group of people actually having to work those animations into a wrestling game.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
As bad as the Nitro/Thunder games were, they were at least charming in an arcadey kind of way. Mayhem and Backstage Assault were the worst things I've ever seen. Mayhem was kind of cool in that it had a PPV code thing, but the problem was that the roster was incomplete and a ton of dudes were fleeing to the WWF, so there weren't more than 2 events that actually used it. Also it was one of the first games I can remember with a shitload of commentary, but the game was so bad it was hard to notice.

Backstage Assault was even dumber and I'm trying to block it from memory.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 20, 2011

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Found my decade+ old copy of WWE No Mercy. Including me with the nickname "Heroic Firefighter", and the version I'm 7'9" and wear a suit to all my matches.

Why is the hardcore champion a black guy I've never heard of?

Because he's Steve, Black Man.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.
In one of the WCW games, I gave Larry Zybysko Ultimo Dragon's pants and renamed him Choke Sleeper. Also, in WWF WM2000 for n64, Val Venis' face widened out a bit looked eerily like me.

I think I played all the games made with that engine entirely too much. Such great games.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

1st AD posted:

As bad as the Nitro/Thunder games were, they were at least charming in an arcadey kind of way.

Yeah, you could just spam Jack-knife Powerbombs forever and check out the crazy poo poo they came up with. It's several days of guaranteed fun.

Also, here's an SNES-grade AKI music flashback:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-soTSGHS6M&feature=related

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Not to go off on a further tangent, but what was the deal with the truck driver who almost runs over Sting at the beginning of WCW/NWO Revenge anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Wise Teen posted:

Not to go off on a further tangent, but what was the deal with the truck driver who almost runs over Sting at the beginning of WCW/NWO Revenge anyway?

I could explain that but then I would have to explain why Hulk Hogan was on fire.