Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frailimbnursry
Feb 14, 2004
my roommate touches me
What have the sales been like for the U2410? Right now it's selling for $120 off at $479.00. I'm not in any rush to get a monitor this instant but I wanted to know what the best sale price has been for it historically so I know what to be on the lookout for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

Steakandchips posted:

http://accessories.apj.dell.com/sna...arch&redirect=1

That's the U2311H on the Dell Japan site. A hair less than US$240 at current exchange rates.

Oh snap. Why didn't I just think of that?

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

frailimbnursry posted:

What have the sales been like for the U2410? Right now it's selling for $120 off at $479.00. I'm not in any rush to get a monitor this instant but I wanted to know what the best sale price has been for it historically so I know what to be on the lookout for.

The lowest I've ever seen the U2410 is $425 on Dell's website. It did not last long.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

frailimbnursry posted:

I'm not sure, but maybe some kind of price suggestions are in order for the OP by the Dell monitors. Can people post (or PM me, since I have that now) prices they've seen it at / bought it at so I can post the range up?

Also probably drunk, you are a glorious bastard, twin 30"s for $75 ea., I need to go to the garage sales you go to, apparently. Well done!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Quanta posted:

I don't know if this has been posted yet but, contrary to earlier rumours, it was confirmed that Dell's successor to the U2410 - the U2412 - is going to have a 16:10 aspect ratio.

It'll also be WLED backlit so will be a standard gamut screen, which will mean the more common and cheaper e-IPS, 6 bit+FRC panel should lower the cost of the monitor.

I don't think it's a bad move by Dell. I doubt many regular users cared about the wide gamut colour spaces, and the professional users who did bought NECs and Eizos anyway.

.. I think it's a bad move. 6-bit panel? No no! Maybe newer ones employ even better tricks to make it look 8-bit, but I have an 8-bit IPS and 6-bit PVA next to each other at home, and I can easily see banding on the 6-bit..

Well, that's one recommendation out of the window. Hopefully the U2410 will become cheaper on the used market..

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 14, 2011

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
:ssh: The U2311H is a 6-bit panel. A lot of reviewers never noticed.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
I'm excited about the 2412 - I don't care much about 6 vs 8 bit, and it's still 1920x1200 (rumored to be priced at like 60% of the U2410) so I might be able to buy a 16:10 before they stop making them.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Factory Factory posted:

:ssh: The U2311H is a 6-bit panel. A lot of reviewers never noticed.
Not only did they not notice until they were told about it, but they then they went back looking for banding and other artifacts, and were unable to find anything. There's no reason to be upset about the change, really, especially if it cuts the price substantially.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

DrDork posted:

Not a whole lot, sadly. There are still various issues with using a TV as a PC monitor, to the point where it's still not recommended. Still, if you're going to go that route, smaller TVs will always result in higher image quality than larger ones, and one that supports 1920x1080p input via a computer-aware HDMI/DVI port will minimize the fuckery that the TV will impose on the image. In that sense the Sony looks like a decent pick, but it'll still never look as good as a normal PC monitor.

I have a 32" 1080p Samsung as my main screen and its always looked fantastic to me. Text is nice once I turned the sharpness all the way down, colors are great, and I don't notice any ghosting. I've sat infront of my coworkers Dell 30" ultrasharps from 2010 and other than pixel density, I didn't notice any difference in picture quality. Maybe if I had them side by side.

As far as current generation stuff, I don't have any recommendations but Samsung would be the first brand I would look at.

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010
Dell is selling the ST2220T for 215.49.
http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/dell-st2220t-1080p-multi-touch-ips-lcd-monitor/28252.aspx

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Just bought a Dell U2311H off the dell website! It fit my budget perfectly. (250-300$ price range) This is my first non budget IPS monitor purchase so I cannot wait until it comes. I've been using crappy TN budget monitors, and with the new MacBook Airs coming out this month (hopefully) I thought I would treat myself with a new monitor to hook it up too.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
I've been using a Gateway 2485w monitor from... wow. Like late 2006 or early 2007. It's been a trooper and nothing at all is wrong with it despite me being bored.

I'm getting back into PC gaming more and never really noticed hard motion blur despite sometimes in World of Warcraft back in the day. I can play most new games fine with no problems but I did notice the U2410 has 1billion + colors and mine has like 16.7 million according to a site. Again, this is really a "am I just wasting a lot of money" question. I really don't know where LCD technology has went in 5 years but I'm imagining it to be awesome. I know I can tell a difference from my 1080p Samsung LCD TV versus my few year old Westinghouse 720p or even my cheap 1080p Westinghouse in the garage.

Input lag wasn't a problem on this thing ever. The only thing I ever really feel input lag from is wireless keyboards and mice. Impossible to game with those.

Is there really going to be a monster difference here or save my money? I do love 1920x1200.

edit: Here are the Gateway's specifications. I paid like I swear to god like $600+ for this thing or something insane.

VibrioCholera fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 15, 2011

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Just a couple posts up they're talking about how the U2412 will technically only have 262K colors and even professional reviewers can't tell the difference.

It looks like the panel you've got is S-PVA, so what you're coming from isn't too bad. The big difference for reasonably desktop panels is, as you've realized, the price has come down a lot. Upgrading would probably get you blacker blacks, a little less ghosting, but overall probably not a big difference.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What are the options aside from Dell and HP for 30" LCDs?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I spent some time delving into the OP but I wanted to double-check this: If my screen's "true resolution" is 1280x1024 (it's an old Viewsonic I got for free) it won't be able to display any higher resolution than that? Is that correct?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I spent some time delving into the OP but I wanted to double-check this: If my screen's "true resolution" is 1280x1024 (it's an old Viewsonic I got for free) it won't be able to display any higher resolution than that? Is that correct?

Correct; if you feed it a higher resolution, the screen will pan around, but you'll never fit more than 1280x1024 pixels on the screen at the same time.

ilovemyducks
Nov 1, 2006
HI MOM!
When is the new Dell 24 inch supposed to be released?

0x0hShit
Mar 11, 2011

ClosedBSD posted:

I'm excited about the 2412 - I don't care much about 6 vs 8 bit, and it's still 1920x1200 (rumored to be priced at like 60% of the U2410) so I might be able to buy a 16:10 before they stop making them.

Figures. I just picked up one of the U2410s in the recent sale after my ST2410 took a nose dive from my computer desk. Still, I don't regret the purchase one bit. About 30 seconds after hooking it up for the first time I looked at my desktop wallpaper and said, "What in the hell is that?" I was looking at stars. Lots of stars, all hanging in the blackness of space. They were brightly colored, of varying shades and hues all speckled over the screen; a nebula stretched out over the horizon in vivid reds and pinks and purples. I felt like Bowman in 2001 Space Odyssey. I then opened an empty notepad doc to check the white color and my eyeballs promptly became melted puddles of goo.

Not to disparage the old monitor, mind you. It did it's job well enough for what I paid for it, and the fact that it still worked after smashing into the floor and receiving receiving a 5x1 inch gash right into LCD itself pretty much solidified my desire to get another Dell. But when I first turned it on it certainly felt "off" compared to the U1703 it replaced. Now I know why, so thanks thread.

Back to the U2410 though, does anyone have a recommendation on where the brightness level should be set at for default use? I remember reading somewhere here that they suggested turning it down a bit from factory, but I didn't see a level.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

0x0hShit posted:

Back to the U2410 though, does anyone have a recommendation on where the brightness level should be set at for default use? I remember reading somewhere here that they suggested turning it down a bit from factory, but I didn't see a level.
Depends on your preference and lighting conditions, but somewhere between 30-50 is a common setting. Glad to see you're happy with it!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I'll looking for a new monitor setup for work. Currently I have a single Acer x233H monitor being driven by a Nvidia GeForce210. I'm going to move my current monitor to my test bench, and am looking into a tri-monitor setup. I will most likely stick with Acer monitors (that's what we use company wide, they are reliable and the warranty is great), but I am trying to figure out the video card.

What would you wise display goons advise to drive 3x24" 1920x1080 monitors? Ideally I would like all to be digital so the color across everything will look the same. I prefer Nvidia, but will look into ATI as well. For performance from the card, there will be no gaming or any photo editing done. Basic office/admin/programming work, so it doesn't need to be a monster card, just fill my monitors.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
For more than two monitors, you're going to have to go with DisplayPort in some form or other, so take that into consideration when you purchase the monitors. As for a card, there are a lot of budget cards from both ATI and Nvidia that would work--pretty much anything with some combination of three DisplayPort/HDMI/DVI ports. They'll all be digital connections, so the colors (in theory) should be pretty close and would only vary due to monitor differences. If you're just running desktop/office stuff, graphic power is entirely unimportant and you can buy virtually any card and have it work in that regard.

Here's the cheapest tri-head card I found on NewEgg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500176

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Unfortunately, nVidia cards only do two monitors per card, regardless of whether DP is present or not (with the exception of some Quadros). You'd need two cards (a second Geforce 210, for example).

I think most Radeon 5450s which will do 1xVGA, 1xHDMI/DVI, and 1xDP simultaneously. If you need all-digital, XFX does an Eyefinity-capable Radeon 5570 for $80.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
So with that 5570 I would have one connected by DVI, one by HDMI and one by DP? But if my reading is correct, I would need an active DP to DVI/HDMI adapter? Something like this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999030

Bah, I was just thinking. If all 3 monitors only take DVI/VGA in, out of the back of the video card, I will have 1 DVI, 1 HDMI and 1 DP. Then I will have a HDMI to DVI adapter and a DP to DVI adapter. This seems a little silly.

Final edit:

Pulling the trigger on this today, please let me know if you see any massive flaws.

Monitors X 3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236102

Video card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150467

DP to DVI: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999030

Thanks for the advise. I didn't know that Nvidia couldn't do triple monitors with 1 card (at least using DP).

Moey fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 19, 2011

LunaSky
Sep 10, 2008

Even Diablo has a soft side
Saw this online: Dell UltraSharp U3011 30" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor (IPS) 25% off! $1124 AC Shipped!

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=3124840

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Moey posted:

Bah, I was just thinking. If all 3 monitors only take DVI/VGA in, out of the back of the video card, I will have 1 DVI, 1 HDMI and 1 DP. Then I will have a HDMI to DVI adapter and a DP to DVI adapter. This seems a little silly.

Final edit:

Pulling the trigger on this today, please let me know if you see any massive flaws.

Monitors X 3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236102

Video card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150467

DP to DVI: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999030

Looks good. You don't need a clunky HDMI->DVI adapter, because they send the same signal electrically. You can get a cable from Monoprice that's HDMI on one end and DVI the other and it will work perfectly.

VVVVV

I guess clicking two out of three links was a suboptimal strategy for me :downs:

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 19, 2011

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Factory Factory posted:

Looks good. You don't need a clunky HDMI->DVI adapter, because they send the same signal electrically. You can get a cable from Monoprice that's HDMI on one end and DVI the other and it will work perfectly.

Monoprice rocks :)

I ended up going with monitors that have both DVI and HDMI so I will only need the DP to DVI adapter.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Oh hey, great job Amazon and UPS. Deliver my TV without signature required and then leave it on my front steps next to the bus stop. Well, there's $300 I'll never see again.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

SlightlyMadman posted:

Oh hey, great job Amazon and UPS. Deliver my TV without signature required and then leave it on my front steps next to the bus stop. Well, there's $300 I'll never see again.

Can't you just file a claim on that?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Moey posted:

Can't you just file a claim on that?

I could file it with my homeowners insurance I guess, but I've had 4 burglaries already on that insurance and I'm worried they're going to drop my policy.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

SlightlyMadman posted:

I could file it with my homeowners insurance I guess, but I've had 4 burglaries already on that insurance and I'm worried they're going to drop my policy.

What about with UPS or Amazon? Seems like a real lovely situation where one of them should be eating the loss.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Moey posted:

What about with UPS or Amazon? Seems like a real lovely situation where one of them should be eating the loss.

UPS says they can't do anything because I have to go through Amazon. Amazon told me to wait two weeks and call them again if it hasn't turned up yet, and then they can consider doing something. My hope is that they'll eventually be able to replace it, but it sounds like they want to make my life difficult in the hopes that I'll give up first. Probably the last time I ever order anything from them if I have a choice.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Er dude, if they didn't get your signature, the delivery isn't completed. Therefore tell them to send you another goddamn TV where they do actually enforce their own goddamn delivery policies.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

LunaSky posted:

Saw this online: Dell UltraSharp U3011 30" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor (IPS) 25% off! $1124 AC Shipped!

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=3124840

Speaking of which, I found the HP ZR30W for $1051 over here:

http://www.compbargains.com/_e/Monitors/sproduct/1017141414/HP_Performance_ZR30w_30_LCD_Monitor.htm

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Steakandchips posted:

Er dude, if they didn't get your signature, the delivery isn't completed. Therefore tell them to send you another goddamn TV where they do actually enforce their own goddamn delivery policies.

They're basically saying they want to give it two weeks to see if whoever stole it decides to give it back or it otherwise turns up. Sounds like after that point they'll send out a replacement though. I guess they get a lot of these where somebody doesn't realize their roommate took it in and put it somewhere or whatever.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

SlightlyMadman posted:

They're basically saying they want to give it two weeks to see if whoever stole it decides to give it back.
That's just loving stupid.

SlightlyMadman posted:

or it otherwise turns up. Sounds like after that point they'll send out a replacement though. I guess they get a lot of these where somebody doesn't realize their roommate took it in and put it somewhere or whatever.
Tell them you don't give a flying gently caress and that you paid for signed-for delivery now, not two weeks from now. As far as you're concerned, you've paid for something and they haven't fulfilled their half of the deal.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Steakandchips posted:

That's just loving stupid.

Tell them you don't give a flying gently caress and that you paid for signed-for delivery now, not two weeks from now. As far as you're concerned, you've paid for something and they haven't fulfilled their half of the deal.

Well the original estimated delivery date range was the 18th-22nd, so I probably can't use that argument until that's up. I'll probably call them this weekend and tell them I've waited long enough.

edit: BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH ok this is loving hilarious. I had sent a super bitchy customer feedback form, and just got a notice back from them in response to it saying they've gone ahead and reshipped the order. That's nice of them, BUT IT'S JUST GOING TO GET loving STOLEN AGAIN.

SlightlyMadman fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 19, 2011

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

SlightlyMadman posted:

They're basically saying they want to give it two weeks to see if whoever stole it decides to give it back or it otherwise turns up. Sounds like after that point they'll send out a replacement though. I guess they get a lot of these where somebody doesn't realize their roommate took it in and put it somewhere or whatever.

Tell them that's not your problem and that you don't want a TV that, even if returned, has been handled by who-the-hell-knows-who and that has been who-the-hell-knows-where, and if they don't send you either another, entirely different TV or a refund, you'll cancel the sale and take your business elsewhere and if they don't follow suit, you'll seek other, more litigious means of getting your money back.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

GreatGreen has it right.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

They're sending me another one now, but I'm unclear about how to get it arranged to require a signature for delivery, so I'm pretty sure it's just going to get stolen again and I'll be single-handedly propping up an entire second-hand TV trade among Baltimore's crackheads for all of eternity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Have it sent to your work address.