Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Et tu, Bowen? Then let the Wall fall!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tony Danza Claus posted:

We're told fairly specifically that the Queen of Thorns killed Joffrey.

So yeah, Tyrion's just going with the blame. He killed Tywin, might as well not argue against common belief that he also killed Joffrey.

Sort of avoiding a "I shot the sheriff, but I didn't shoot the deputy."

He has already unlocked the "Kinkiller" achievement, might as well admit killing Joffre to collect the "Kingkiller" badge.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Liam Cunningham cast as Davos. They've also cast Cressen, which is great since it means that we'll get the amazing book 2 prologue :allears:

I like how HBO just :gizz: all major cast members at once.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

paradigmblue posted:

I just caught that Manderly killed Little Walder because he was engaged to marry his grandaughter that spoke out in favor of the Stark's when Davos was speaking with the court of White Harbor.

:aaaaa:

don't gently caress with the fat man

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
The banker is a wizard.

Mantarys sounds pretty cool too, wonder what they mean by "monsters".

Dragons are cool but once they can be controlled they seem too unstoppable and I've always wondered how George is going keep them from being a bunch of deus ex machina. So far they have been kept in line with the feel of the series and the rest of the world, but I don't see how they can be defeated. I wonder how the maesters pulled it off back in the day. Someone in Meereen says their only weak poiny is the eyes, so dany should fit them with some sweet steampunk goggles.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Brannock posted:

Et tu, Bowen? Then let the Wall fall!

Marsh is gonna have nightmares up until the point where Pip and Rickon team up to defeat him in GreeceVolantis.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Pool posted:

I think people are reading into it because Merman is definitely house Manderly, and he has already eaten one set of characters, while there are many more we HOPE he will eat (preferably Ramsay.....alive)

That would totally make my day. I can even forgive GRRM for his Brienne and Mereen chapters.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

lapse posted:

I think the banker was my favorite random new character.

He was a completely unexpected badass, riding off into the winter storm to find Stannis, with just a couple random companions of unknown loyalty.

I really liked him, too. It's pretty obvious that even if the Iron Bank doesn't generally charge usurious rates and act as loan sharks, they are stone loving cold bastards when it comes to people who can't or won't pay them back. The banker has this sort of quiet conviction in the knowledge that he speaks for an incredibly powerful institution, the kind that doesn't take 'No' for an answer, and is really holding himself above all these petty Westerosi squabbles.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Kainser posted:

Yeah, that would be lovely for both Theon who would lose his chance to reclaim his life and Jon who would get a lovely body. So I guess it's possible.

And Theon isn't an eunuch, his dick was just tortured :colbert:

I thought he was castrated? "He only took my fingers and that... other thing". When some people try to bath him he freaks out because "They'll see." Also, he couldn't do anything but eat out Jeyne.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Best part of this book? The multiple bizarrely conspicuous references to "useless as nipples on a breastplate" culminating with Jorah emerging from the sellsword armory with...a breastplate with pierced nipples.

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

Correct me if I'm wrong, but right now we don't know what's happened to Lord Manderlay following that guy cutting his throat, right?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He was not clearly dead or alive.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Giodo! posted:

Best part of this book? The multiple bizarrely conspicuous references to "useless as nipples on a breastplate" culminating with Jorah emerging from the sellsword armory with...a breastplate with pierced nipples.

I thought it was a nice touch that both Tyrion and Cersei said that, as if it was something Tywin would mutter around the house when they were growing up.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Supreme Allah posted:

I thought he was castrated? "He only took my fingers and that... other thing". When some people try to bath him he freaks out because "They'll see." Also, he couldn't do anything but eat out Jeyne.
Yeah, but I'm thinking that Ramsay only flayed and/or removed a part of/the whole penis, leaving the balls so that he could still get erections and technically have sex (even though it'd probably hurt like gently caress and be impractical as hell). I think that fits better with some passages in the books (him wanting to gently caress the wildling woman, Ramsay asking if he's getting an erection although that could admittedly just be Ramsay being a dick) than him being a straight up eunuch.

Anyway, I don't think this was posted: All the images from the 2012 calendar have been released: http://picacio.blogspot.com/2011/07/2012-asoiaf-calendar-release-day.html

There is some good stuff in there, such as:

Kainser fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 20, 2011

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Melisandre one is the best imho.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Here is the Melisandre one. Sorry for the double post. Can't seem to attach images through edit.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Supreme Allah posted:

It makes much more sense if you read it as if Ramsay lopped off his dick. I've just been saying eunuch for convenience because honestly, I don't want to dwell on the specifics (his fingers were flayed until he begged for them to be cut off...:cry: :aaa:).

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

hampig posted:

It makes much more sense if you read it as if Ramsay lopped off his dick. I've just been saying eunuch for convenience because honestly, I don't want to dwell on the specifics (his fingers were flayed until he begged for them to be cut off...:cry: :aaa:).

I posted this a few pages back, but there is a passage where Theon thinks that he "dares not" gently caress someone. But he's also terrified of being seen naked and there are lots of other indications that something was done . So I'm thinking it's some kind of mutilation, but still functional.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Targaryen loyalists and mercenaries land near Storm's End. Dany flies. Once. The wildings now help man the wall. Stannis is working on taking the north.

1000 pages and the overarching plot goes loving nowhere. The chapters just really wander all over the loving place and none of it matters.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Maybe his nuts were cut off. He's still unmanned by his inability to procreate (pretty important thing for anyone with territorial ambitions), and he'd still be ashamed of people seeing what happened to him, but he could still get stimulated and do the deed.

quote:

He was not clearly dead or alive.

It seemed to me that while cut was bloody enough for him to bleed out, it wasn't immediately deadly, and his guards were able to pull him back and probably save him.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Unoriginal Name posted:

Targaryen loyalists and mercenaries land near Storm's End. Dany flies. Once. The wildings now help man the wall. Stannis is working on taking the north.

1000 pages and the overarching plot goes loving nowhere. The chapters just really wander all over the loving place and none of it matters.

You know that all of what you listed probably does more for the overarching plot than anything in the first 3 books right?

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
I feel like some people would be more satisfied with a pagelong bullet list to finish the series.

Yeah it meanders a bit but its interesting to see just how everything comes together, and of course character growth and overarching themes.

Jorahs nipple ring vindicated that useless saying, I smiled when I read it.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

euphronius posted:

The Melisandre one is the best imho.

They are all pretty terrible. People can't draw shouldn't use Photoshop to "draw". Dany looks like a cheerleader.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

whatever7 posted:

They are all pretty terrible. People can't draw shouldn't use Photoshop to "draw". Dany looks like a cheerleader.

Skin-tight hip-huggers are the traditional garb of barbarian princesses.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

bigmcgaffney posted:

I feel like some people would be more satisfied with a pagelong bullet list to finish the series.

A bullet list of which crazy theories are confirmed, to be specific.

What if Rickon wargs into Cersei and has sex with Drogon and thus creates a secret Stark Lannister Targ???

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Tyrion looks like a geico caveman. Melisandre is the best one but to be honest the almost photorealistic faces disturbs me a bit.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

bigmcgaffney posted:

Yeah it meanders a bit but its interesting to see just how everything comes together, and of course character growth and overarching themes.

Jorahs nipple ring vindicated that useless saying, I smiled when I read it.

Arya's character didn't change much since the last books, She trains and that's about it.

Sansa doesn't get a mention. Nor Catelyn.

Jon takes on some responsibility and is interesting, but then betrays literally every character establishing moment he's ever had. "i know we are sworn brothers but i got this letter!!"

Tyrion just goes along with everything while making smartass remarks. The only thing he really makes happen is their joining the Second Sons. He just wanders around saying witty sayings, while drowning in leprous rivers and standing on slave auction blocks. None of it affects him or makes him think at all. His moment of talking to young Griff where he just inexplicably lays out the entire plan to travel to Westeros and rise up against the throne is incredibly cringe-inducing.

Bran may or may not becoming Mother Nature. Interesting but kept short.

And Dany? Yeah feel free to talk about how much growth happens in the Mereenese chapters.

Of course there are a million other minor characters, but if there isn't a distinct reason for focusing on them, quit wasting my time.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Unoriginal Name posted:

Sansa doesn't get a mention. Nor Catelyn.

Both get mentioned by Jaime! But I know what you meant.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

OK, the "fat man has been serving the Freys as food" totally escaped me. Where are folks getting this from?

literallyincredible
Oct 23, 2008
what happens in Clash?

Renly--who was an incredibly minor character in the first book and really only shows up for 5 chapters in the second--dies.

Theon--who was also a minor character in the first book--gets captured and burns Winterfell (but not so badly that it can't just be restored eventually).

Tyrion spends a lot of time scheming to what basically amount to a few bureaucratic appointments and some marriage proposals.

Sansa gets treated like poo poo for hundreds of pages, Arya dicks around in Harrenhall, Bran hates on the Walders for a bit and then gets "killed" but not really.

Stannis, who was only introduced in book 2 anyway, loses a fight, but escapes and so does Davos.

Cat tries and fails at making alliances, then goes nuts cause shes sad and lets Jaime go for no good reason.

In other news, when you reduce pretty much *any* book to a list of bullet point events its gonna sound stupid. A 5 hours play of a guy procrastinating about killing his uncle? Who would possibly enjoythat?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

FairGame posted:

OK, the "fat man has been serving the Freys as food" totally escaped me. Where are folks getting this from?

The Freys that disappeared and Manderly's joy at serving the food at Winterfell?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also there was a cannibalism subtheme in the book.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

What I'd like to see happen with Dany is for her to go somewhere else for a while with the Dothraki, then return to the city and find everything is exactly the way it was when she showed up and nobody cares. Seeing all these people who called her "mother" and seemed so happy with freedom just accepting their lot as slaves without a fight makes her snap and just burn the gently caress out of everything, setting off for the west figuring she can't fix the East.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

literallyincredible posted:

A 5 hours play of a guy procrastinating about killing his uncle? Who would possibly enjoythat?

Why the hell would you pick Hamlet? (you are talking about Hamlet right?)

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Unoriginal Name posted:

The Freys that disappeared and Manderly's joy at serving the food at Winterfell?

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I was convinced Manderly had poisoned all the food and was going to take one for the team since Roose wouldn't touch anything that Wyman hadn't already eaten.

Since nobody keeled over dead, I guess "lamprey pies are made of freys" works

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

FairGame posted:

He makes a big deal about telling Davos the significance of giving horses as gifts to his 3 Frey Guests at court; all 3 were Red Wedding Attendees/Accomplices. Manderly had one son die at the Red Wedding and I believe that's where the other one (now returned to him) was taken hostage. Anyway, there's 3 Freys, 3 inordinately large pork pies at the wedding, and in one of the Reek chapters in between Davos' chapter and the one with the wedding Bolton talks about how those same 3 men have "gone missing" since leaving Manderly's castle and have not made it to Winterfell. Davos points out that gifts are traditionally given to guests upon their departure, ergo in accepting the horses the Freys will no longer be Manderly's guests and thus no longer "protected" by Guest Rights, i.e. Manderly can now kill them without stooping to their level. Manderly personally serves a slice of pie directly to the Freys in attendance at Ramsay's wedding, at least one of whom is a father of at least one of the victims. His loud laughter and boasting of how "they're the best pies you ever tasted, guaranteed" should arouse suspicion that something is up, and his eating a piece of all 3 pies proves none of them are poisoned...

Also, the final giveaway is that after the feast, a drunken Manderly starts muttering about how the singers should've played a song about "The Rat Cook". The Rat Cook is a story (Bran tells it to the Reeds in A Storm Of Swords) about a man who kills another man's son and later serves him his son's remains baked into a pie.

Mister Perky fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 20, 2011

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
Regarding the letter:

I think the most plausible explanation is that Ramsay captured one of the spearwives and tortured her; and sent the letter before everyone in Winterfell turned on each other when "Arya" was gone. It's pretty fitting for GURM, having stupid and rash desicions that have huge consequences (like Joff beheading Ned).

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

literallyincredible posted:

what happens in Clash?

Renly--who was an incredibly minor character in the first book and really only shows up for 5 chapters in the second--dies.

Theon--who was also a minor character in the first book--gets captured and burns Winterfell (but not so badly that it can't just be restored eventually).

Tyrion spends a lot of time scheming to what basically amount to a few bureaucratic appointments and some marriage proposals.

Sansa gets treated like poo poo for hundreds of pages, Arya dicks around in Harrenhall, Bran hates on the Walders for a bit and then gets "killed" but not really.

Stannis, who was only introduced in book 2 anyway, loses a fight, but escapes and so does Davos.

Cat tries and fails at making alliances, then goes nuts cause shes sad and lets Jaime go for no good reason.

In other news, when you reduce pretty much *any* book to a list of bullet point events its gonna sound stupid. A 5 hours play of a guy procrastinating about killing his uncle? Who would possibly enjoythat?

The difference is that they actually have motivations and emotions that make sense. Cat tries to make some alliances because she's desperate to save her children. Theon was always jealous of the Stark's family unit so he takes control of their home. Tyrion obstructs Cersei because he hates her and wants his father's approval.

I found a lot less of that in Dance. AND almost nothing of realm changing significance happens. It's a loss on both fronts.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Gangringo posted:

What I'd like to see happen with Dany is for her to go somewhere else for a while with the Dothraki, then return to the city and find everything is exactly the way it was when she showed up and nobody cares. Seeing all these people who called her "mother" and seemed so happy with freedom just accepting their lot as slaves without a fight makes her snap and just burn the gently caress out of everything, setting off for the west figuring she can't fix the East.

The problem with this, and I think why a lot of people were frustrated with the amount of time Dany spent pointlessly dicking around in Mereen in this book, is that there just doesn't seem to be much room left in the narrative for Dany to spend an extensive period of time elsewhere. I guess she is still probably going to head to Asshai at some point, but with all the other characters converging on Mereen right now, it seems to make more sense that she heads back to Mereen relatively quickly to do whatever needs to be done with those characters, resolves (burns the poo poo out of?) the remaining Mereneese plot lines, and then goes to Asshai at some point between that and moving on to Westeros. And even then it feels like the Asshai part would need to be somewhat rushed given all that needs to happen in the next book (presumably by the beginning of ADoS, her plot needs to either be in Westeros already or at least on the very cusp of arriving).

I think it's fairly likely that she'll head back to Mereen with that attitude anyways, but that she snapped when she flew off with Drogon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literallyincredible
Oct 23, 2008
who's motivations didn't make sense? Dany was stupid with Daario, but that was supposed to be stupid, in much the same way Robb was a moron when it came to Jeyne. Certainly, her fixation on slavery was not out of character for her as previously portrayed.

Jon was perfectly in character. Using his greater understanding of the Wildlings, acquired in SoS, to try to save the Watch from itself, while all the while the growing tension of his beloved little sister languishing in the clutches of a monster grows, until finally he breaks when he seems like her only hope. This isn't "Robb is riding off to war" or even "Ned gets executed". Jon is in a position to do something about Arya in a way he isn't for any of the others.

Tyrion is basically a broken person at this point, which makes sense given what happened to him at the end of Storm.

Theon's arc in the book was loving incredible.