Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battle Cattle
Aug 13, 2003

MOO.

letsgoflyers81 posted:

If you want to add more ringtones just put them on your SD card under media\audio\ringtones or notifications.
Thanks for this, its what I couldn't figure out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Another day, another Sprint iPhone rumor:

http://www.examiner.com/gadgets-in-los-angeles/sprint-iphone-5-testing-to-begin-next-week

quote:

Los Angeles is one of the cities where Sprint's iPhone 5 will begin testing on Monday, July 18. Other cities testing the phone will be San Francisco, Dallas, New York City, and Chicago . It was believed that Sprint will eventually receive the iPhone 5, but the unit was not in the testing phase yet like it was for other carriers. That will change soon and this pretty much means that the Sprint iPhone 5 is not a rumor anymore.

Sprint is expected to launch the iPhone 5 shortly after the phone launches on Verizon and AT&T this fall. Although the iPhone 5 will certainly be great for Sprint, the carrier will also receive the Samsung Galaxy II phone, which has been spotted and photographed.

There will certainly be an advantage to getting the iPhone 5 on Sprint—it is the only carrier that will allow unlimited 4G data on the phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

I just want the drat phone to launch so people stop asking about it.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Yes, check monoprice.com, $4 a pop, order 2 so you have a backup.

Do you happen to know if the basic Seidio case for the 3D will fit in the iGrip case that Sprint is selling? I rather have one designed for this phone; plus from the looks it won't block the camera which is a plus.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

For a rumor, that has a lot of pretty specific details. I'm not terribly surprised, either way. I just want to know if it's going to be a boring old EVDO phone or if they're going to cram Wimax or LTE into it.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
At this point, I think the iPhone 5 coming to Sprint is basically the only thing that will get me to upgrade my dumbphone SERO plan.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

What's the best option if I want to jog with my Evo 3D? I'd like to check out JogTracker but I don't think running with the phone in my pocket is a good idea. Are there any good recommendations for an armband or some other way to secure my phone short of running with a fanny pack?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Who has dealt with buying phones and signing contracts and the like through amazonwireless? I just ordered a evo 3d through them the other day, and I'm just curious as to what I should expect -- usually I always go into a retail store and just handle it.

Am I gonna have issues porting my number? Getting my $125 credit? etc?

Spazghost
Apr 27, 2011
Has anyone disassembled an HTC EVO 4G before and might be able to tell me what they use to determine whether or not the phone has been disassembled for warranty purposes.

I dropped my EVO and cracked the digitizer and I am considering replacing it myself rather than paying Sprint 100$ to do an insurance claim.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Spazghost posted:

Has anyone disassembled an HTC EVO 4G before and might be able to tell me what they use to determine whether or not the phone has been disassembled for warranty purposes.

I dropped my EVO and cracked the digitizer and I am considering replacing it myself rather than paying Sprint 100$ to do an insurance claim.

Can't say about the Evo, but I replaced the screen on my Centro a few years back and there was a sticker over one of the screws. Betting there's something similar on your phone.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Spazghost posted:

If your phone were to be lost after a failed screen replacement, that'd just be terrible...

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.

Hopefully this is true so I can have a little more choice. EVO was disappointing for me and it kind of turned me off on Android.

I wish there was a way I could test drive a Windows Phone for like a week or something :(

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Who has dealt with buying phones and signing contracts and the like through amazonwireless? I just ordered a evo 3d through them the other day, and I'm just curious as to what I should expect -- usually I always go into a retail store and just handle it.

Am I gonna have issues porting my number? Getting my $125 credit? etc?
No guarantees on the $125 credit, it technically says Sprint stores only. So buying through amazon may not get you the credit. Let us know if that is not the case, I honestly am curious.

Did you file at Sprint.com/switchtosprint yet? You must register within 72 hours of porting your number.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Even if sprint does get the iphone, I highly doubt that it would have a wimax chip. My prediction is that the new iphone will be called the iphone 4s, since it will be faster. It probably won't be called the 4g because it would need to have 4g working on all carriers it's launching on. I think it'll have evdo/hspa+, which will be allowed because Apple isn't the one marketing hspa+ as 4g. This will allow the next iphone to be called the iphone 4g once every carrier has lte and favorablebattery life with the chip enabled.

No matter what the scenario, I just don't see Apple making a wimax iphone.

mechelaar
Sep 11, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Steps:

-Switch to a regular Sprint plan with the 10% credit union discount
-Buy the phone from Radioshack. The credit union discount waives $18 upgrade fees
-Wait 1 month. Stop by a Sprint store something after that with her ID and change it to the 15% discount
-Have your cake and eat it to.

Just remember, once you leave EPRP you can't go back.

Well, this somehow ended up going very wrongly. Sprint could not figure out how to apply the credit union discount (but supposedly can waive the activation fees after the fact), and Radioshack for whatever reason could not get their system to ring up the phone at the advertised price (even with the advertisement sitting in front of them). Instead they tell her there is a new sale starting again next week and she can just come in and get it discounted then because it is within her 30 days (although it looks to me like the new sale only applies to new plans). She went ahead and did it because she needed a phone ASAP.

End result is that she ended up paying out the rear end for the phone with a lot of vague promises to credit her account. Looks like we ended up giving up the EPRP plan to pay MORE for a phone than we would have through Sprint Corporate. Any thoughts?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mechelaar posted:

Well, this somehow ended up going very wrongly. Sprint could not figure out how to apply the credit union discount (but supposedly can waive the activation fees after the fact), and Radioshack for whatever reason could not get their system to ring up the phone at the advertised price (even with the advertisement sitting in front of them). Instead they tell her there is a new sale starting again next week and she can just come in and get it discounted then because it is within her 30 days (although it looks to me like the new sale only applies to new plans). She went ahead and did it because she needed a phone ASAP.

End result is that she ended up paying out the rear end for the phone with a lot of vague promises to credit her account. Looks like we ended up giving up the EPRP plan to pay MORE for a phone than we would have through Sprint Corporate. Any thoughts?

How much did you pay for the Evo? I'd be shocked if Radioshack sold it for more than $99. Other than that, its kind of pathetic that they couldn't get it to ring up at $30. SOMEONE always has an override somewhere, and either way they should fix it on their end later, not yours. That's just retarded.

Personally, that just seems to be an unacceptable sales experience. And as much as the Sprint part of me wants to say "that's because Radioshack doesn't know poo poo," honestly it isn't that hard. Worst case you change the plan to consumer, then you can upgrade. They have their own Sprint sales support that can change the plan if needed even. I would raise hell on Radioshack and Sprint, have it escalated. Either get the $30 pricing matched, or make them move you back to EPRP.

Discounts take time to process on Sprint, my apologies that I forgot about that. Takes "1-3 months," although rarely do i see it take longer than one bill cycle. They will waive the upgrade fee though, that is correct.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Anyone know of a good place to buy the MHL adapter for my Evo3D? It's not on monoprice yet and I don't feel like spending $35 for a couple pieces of copper and 3 inches of cable.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

FlyingCheese posted:

Anyone know of a good place to buy the MHL adapter for my Evo3D? It's not on monoprice yet and I don't feel like spending $35 for a couple pieces of copper and 3 inches of cable.
I'm curious too. Also, does the MHL output 3D video/images to 3D capable displays?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

mechelaar posted:

When I went from vzw to sprint years ago, radio shack hosed everything up so badly I just returned it all and bought from sprint corporate instead.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

FlyingCheese posted:

I got the one T-Mobile sells for the Sensation on their website for $20 plus shipping. It works great for 2D but I don't have a 3D TV to test.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Is there a good, cheap screen protector/film thing for the 3D? I bungled applying the free one they gave me with the phone and had to toss it out.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Duckman2008 posted:

No guarantees on the $125 credit, it technically says Sprint stores only. So buying through amazon may not get you the credit. Let us know if that is not the case, I honestly am curious.

Did you file at Sprint.com/switchtosprint yet? You must register within 72 hours of porting your number.

I double checked the link and I'm already in the system for when I go to port the number tomorrow. Hopefully everything works, I'm banking on the 125 credit making my etf bearable.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Seeing some reports on xda that s-off has been achieved on the Sensation; here's hoping the 3D isn't far behind.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Spazghost posted:

I split my phone apart as far as taking the red backing off to get to the speaker inside, which I guess is probably pretty far apart. Sprint didn't say anything when I took it in to get fixed later on. There were no covered screws or anything as far as I can remember.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Leathal posted:

Seeing some reports on xda that s-off has been achieved on the Sensation; here's hoping the 3D isn't far behind.

Where do you see this?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Where do you see this?

Someone posted a video on youtube. Which was then posted on XDA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO4HkPHPJq4&feature=player_embedded

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Yeah I just found it. It's promising as long as it's legit, especially considering how similar the Sensation and EVO 3D are.

Edit: Looks like they have S-OFF on the EVO 3D as well.

http://twitter.com/#!/agrabren/status/93334461697105920

quote:

Since @alpharevx has admitted to having s-off on both the Sensation and EVO 3D, dev on #Fre3Dom is officially over.

letsgoflyers81 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 19, 2011

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
When it comes to the Evo 3D, it is worthwhile to spend the extra cash on a class 6 or class 10 micro SD card? I've heard the one that the phone comes with is class 4.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mnemosyne posted:

When it comes to the Evo 3D, it is worthwhile to spend the extra cash on a class 6 or class 10 micro SD card?
Probably not unless you're having drop-outs while recording 3D video. The card class just specifies its minimum sustained (sequential) write throughput. Read and random access I/O aren't covered, and won't necessarily be better on a class 6 card than class 4.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

So, I'm ditching my Pre and my wife decided to finally get a smart phone, but I don't really know much about android phones. Is there a big advantage to getting Nexus for the stock android rather then an HTC phone? If not, I think I'm getting a 3D, and she'll get a Shift. Anything else that I should be considering?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

gninjagnome posted:

So, I'm ditching my Pre and my wife decided to finally get a smart phone, but I don't really know much about android phones. Is there a big advantage to getting Nexus for the stock android rather then an HTC phone? If not, I think I'm getting a 3D, and she'll get a Shift. Anything else that I should be considering?

For the shift at least, there is a cyanogenmod port, so there you go for a AOSP build of android.

And the evo3d looks to be hacked now, so you can expect a cyanogenmod port soon.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So I left for work this morning with my 3D's battery at 95%, and realized at 12 that it was really hot and the battery was dead. Had to pull it and restart the phone, and the display showed that it was at 20% left, even though I wasn't running any apps or anything. Anyone have an idea of what happened?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

ratbert90 posted:

For the shift at least, there is a cyanogenmod port, so there you go for a AOSP build of android.

Would the store employees let you leave with a new phone without updating to the latest firmware?

No root on 2.3.3 yet.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

change my name posted:

So I left for work this morning with my 3D's battery at 95%, and realized at 12 that it was really hot and the battery was dead. Had to pull it and restart the phone, and the display showed that it was at 20% left, even though I wasn't running any apps or anything. Anyone have an idea of what happened?

One of two or possibly both:

*You had poo poo cell reception and it kept trying to connect to the towers, running the radio (and battery) really hard in the process.
*Some process ran away and didn't get killed normally, raping the CPU (and battery).

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

oxbrain posted:

Would the store employees let you leave with a new phone without updating to the latest firmware?

No root on 2.3.3 yet.
They better. I just got a shift yesterday for my fiance and he didn't bother updating it. Just tell them no?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Anybody want dirt on Sprint?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

Steve Moore posted:

Yeah no thanks. A lowly rep getting fired probably for lying to customers.

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.

Steve Moore posted:

Yeah... sounds like an employee got caught lying and decided to lay the blame on Sprint rather than owning up to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Shed posted:

Yeah... sounds like an employee got caught lying and decided to lay the blame on Sprint rather than owning up to it.

This, even when I'm talking to someone in ANY call center, I take everything with a grain of salt unless I get documentation to prove it. You have to be a pretty colossal moron to get fired from a call center.