Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StainlessBanner
Dec 23, 2006

Maybe you shouldn't kiss and tell

Ziir posted:

Are any of you experiencing memory leaks in Safari in Lion? I cringe when I go to activity monitor and see Safari Web Contents (just going by memory right now) taking 800+ MB of RAM. Makes my 4 GB seem not enough.

I'm seeing 736 MB of RAM being used by Safari Web Content. In comparison, Firefox is using 248 MB.

Edit: I'm on a Mid-2011 27" Intel Core i5 iMac with 12 GB of RAM so I'm not too concerned, but still confirming that it's not just you.

StainlessBanner fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Browsing the web with Chrome and listening to songs in iTunes consumes 20% more memory on average in Lion than in Snow Leopard. Any ideas why? This phenomenon doesn't really make sense to me.

I'm on a 2.8 GHz C2D iMac with 4 GB of RAM for some context.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is anyone else having problems with the back button in firefox since the last update? It doesn't work unless I hit it twice. It feels like I'm using a cheap walkman.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
For any of you who use Chronosync for backups, they released 4.2.2 tonight with "Lion compatibility" Yay!

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Abel Wingnut posted:

Browsing the web with Chrome and listening to songs in iTunes consumes 20% more memory on average in Lion than in Snow Leopard. Any ideas why? This phenomenon doesn't really make sense to me.

I'm on a 2.8 GHz C2D iMac with 4 GB of RAM for some context.

64-bit iTunes? Just a guess.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

echobucket posted:

:confused:

I'm using 10.3.1.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

echobucket posted:

Isn't that only in iTunes 10.5 betas?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Small White Dragon posted:

Isn't that only in iTunes 10.5 betas?

I guess so, I said it was just a guess :)

BrokenDynasty
Dec 25, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

Is anyone else having problems with the back button in firefox since the last update? It doesn't work unless I hit it twice. It feels like I'm using a cheap walkman.

Yes

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Xee should be on the list of apps. It does but one thing, but it does it well.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Since we can now talk about Lion, I'll list out my favorite things about it, and stuff I don't like about it.

Favorite things:
* Resuming of apps. This is killer. Especially when you restart your mac. It logs in so fast and resumes all those silly menubar applications you have running in the background :)
* Launchpad. I know some won't like it, but I've been using my Applications Folder in the dock since forever so this is a welcome improvement on that idea. Also, I love that you put them into iOS style folders and it's not represented by folders on the disk (because sometimes moving apps into real folders on the disk makes upgrades or other things not work quite right).
* Mission Control. I use Expose and spaces constantly, and often I use one and then the other. Now this is one butan for both.

Things I don't like
* The Lozenge button is gone! :( I used this constantly to unmount windows created by mounting a DMG. I would click the lozenge, and then click eject in the sidebar, unmounting the DMG and closing the window in the process. Now I have to open a regular finder window, eject the DMG, then close that finder window.. It's just more steps that it used to be...
* I can't believe reverse scrolling is the default. Glad you can switch it, but until you get it switched, man I'm confused for a bit. Especially since I have a mouse with an actual scroll wheel.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Right-click the "background" of the window and there will be an eject option.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Is there any reason I should worry about running Lion on my January 2008 white Macbook? There doesn't seem to be anything graphically intense but I'm still kind of worried.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I was on the fence about full screen apps but terminal in full screen on a 13" Macbook Pro owns so hard. Slide over to that huge terminal with a three finger and then switch between the tabs with the two finger. Get some things going and slide back over to my IDE to write some code. Slide over again to look at Mail.app and back again. Lion is the poo poo for laptops with small screens.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

~Coxy posted:

Or if you use Alfred, just start typing "eject" and press enter! I love Alfred.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

~Coxy posted:

my god, thank you for this.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

I have two computers but only one iTunes account. Can I buy Lion once and install it on both computers, or is that breaking the rules? Assuming it is against the rules, how would I even get two licenses considering I only have one account?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
MAS rules permit up to five installations per purchase, I believe.
Besides that fact, the Lion install specifically does not have any receipt/account checking and can be installed on any number of machines.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

echobucket posted:

Favorite things:
* Resuming of apps. This is killer. Especially when you restart your mac. It logs in so fast and resumes all those silly menubar applications you have running in the background :)
* Launchpad. I know some won't like it, but I've been using my Applications Folder in the dock since forever so this is a welcome improvement on that idea. Also, I love that you put them into iOS style folders and it's not represented by folders on the disk (because sometimes moving apps into real folders on the disk makes upgrades or other things not work quite right).
* Mission Control. I use Expose and spaces constantly, and often I use one and then the other. Now this is one butan for both.

Eh, I feel completely opposite about these ones.

When I reboot my machine, I'm rebooting specifically for a reason—to start everything over in a clean state. I don't want left over programs running when I turn it back on.

On a related note, I really don't like this new save state feature. Sometimes I open up TextEdit to write down a few notes real quick and then close the program when I'm note with the notes (don't need them anymore). Two days later when I open TextEdit again I don't want my unsaved scratchpad to pop up. This just has the potential to be really embarrassing or whatever.

On yet another related note, save states are kind of buggy still, I think. Right now my Preview app shows 10 PDFs minimized. I can expose down and select them and they maximize, but I can't close them. They just reminimize. I've tried delete my save states folder in ~/Library. I already have save states disabled in system settings because I hate it so much. I've rebooted. Nope, Preview still shows 10 PDFs just minimized there, hanging out.

Launchpad—I start all my apps from Spotlight so I've never even as much as looked at Launchpad. I think I disabled the mouse gesture to get to it too.

Mission Control—I used Expose and Spaces a lot in SL, but I just don't like Mission Control. Worse yet, they've completely neutered Expose. When I try to use Expose now, it only shows me the windows of the currently focused app which is completely stupid. Right now I have Safari open, and two Terminal windows behind it. In SL, I would just Expose, and then click on the Terminal window I want. Now, in Lion, when I use Expose, it only shows me the current Safari window I have that's already taking up most of my screen. Ah, but I can just use Mission Control you say. OK, I bring up MC and I don't see the Terminal window I'm looking for. I know it's there, but where is it? Oh, I minimized it, and MC doesn't show minimized windows.

I just want my old Expose functionality back.

I've also noticed that sometimes (like in Preview), when I do cmd+w to close a PDF, if it's the only PDF I have open then the entire program just quits as if I did cmd+q. It's inconsistent and random and I don't like it either.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Here are my notes regarding FileVault in Lion. For reference, Legacy FileVault is the Leopard/Snow Leopard implementation.
  • You can upgrade to Lion from Snow Leopard while Legacy FileVault is enabled. After installing Lion, you will get a prompt when you launch the Security & Privacy preference pane in System Preferences asking if you want to disable Legacy FileVault.
  • You can use FileVault WDE alongside Legacy FileVault in Lion if upgrading from a previous OS. Once all Legacy FileVault accounts are decrypted or removed, the Legacy FileVault tab in the Security & Privacy preference pane will disappear.
  • You can optionally store your boot partition's recovery key with Apple using your Apple ID account. You will be required to answer multiple security questions. I have chosen not to give this information to Apple, so I have not tested this capability.
  • Lion will not automatically encrypt your Time Machine drive/partition after upgrading and enabling FileVault. If you re-add your Time Machine in System Preferences, you will get a prompt asking if you want it encrypted. I suspect this might be improved in an update.
  • You may encrypt any Journaled HFS partition. To do this, you use "diskutil cs convert /path/to/volume" in Terminal. CS is short for CoreStorage. You will be prompted to enter a password used for disk decryption. Encryption can be removed with "diskutil cs revert". You can learn more information about Disk Utility's CoreStorage capabilities with "diskutil cs".
  • If you mount an encrypted HFS partition, you will be prompted to enter a password to decrypt the disk as needed. You can opt to save the password in your Keychain.
It's really nice not have to dick with encrypted sparse bundle disk images anymore.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Can you use full disk encryption on any Mac or do you need one of the CPUs that have accelerated encryption support (or whatever it's called)?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I'm sure any Mac with Lion installed can use FileVault WDE. Of course it won't be readable by older OS X versions. Encrypted partitions aren't visible to Windows when using Boot Camp, even with Boot Camp 4.0 software.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Ziir posted:

Mission Control—I used Expose and Spaces a lot in SL, but I just don't like Mission Control. Worse yet, they've completely neutered Expose. When I try to use Expose now, it only shows me the windows of the currently focused app which is completely stupid. Right now I have Safari open, and two Terminal windows behind it. In SL, I would just Expose, and then click on the Terminal window I want. Now, in Lion, when I use Expose, it only shows me the current Safari window I have that's already taking up most of my screen. Ah, but I can just use Mission Control you say. OK, I bring up MC and I don't see the Terminal window I'm looking for. I know it's there, but where is it? Oh, I minimized it, and MC doesn't show minimized windows.

I just want my old Expose functionality back.

This has been my greatest fear, and I didn't want to find out that it might be true. gently caress.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I saw that in an earlier build and it seemed like such an obvious omission that thought that would just be a temporary thing :doh:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

NESguerilla posted:

It feels like I'm using a cheap walkman.

Well, it is Firefox.

Before I get told to go back to YOSPOS, that's actually a pretty apt analogy. Firefox is not a "native" OS X application in the same way that Safari or Chrome (or Finder, etc.) is, in that it uses what's basically a theming engine (XUL) to describe the way a "real" OS X program looks and feels. It happens to be very good and actually does use native UI elements to draw the interface, but (and I'm grossly oversimplifying this) since it's not described to the system the same way that apps developed specifically for OS X are, it's always going to feel a bit off.

This is, incidentally, why you need to use Mac OS X and XCode to develop for iOS: a cross-platform interface might look just fine, but it almost always just feels a little weird.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm. OK so any tips on importing a keychain into Lion from a 10.6 disk?

- Keychain Access / File / Import Items...
- Navigate to /Users/olduser/Library/Keychains
- Can't select login.keychain because it's grayed out :smith:

This might be my cue to start using 1Passwd.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Welcome to the brave new world of sandboxing.

StainlessBanner posted:

I'm seeing 736 MB of RAM being used by Safari Web Content. In comparison, Firefox is using 248 MB.

Edit: I'm on a Mid-2011 27" Intel Core i5 iMac with 12 GB of RAM so I'm not too concerned, but still confirming that it's not just you.

I still don't get why the increase is so dramatic from SL though. Right now with Safari running just three tabs, Safari + Safari Web Content takes up a combined 970 MB of RAM. I imagine people with 12 GB of RAM don't care but I don't have 12 GB of RAM :(.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I need some input. I have a new iMac which I just finished setting up. Besides my OSX applications, I also have bootcamp running Win7.

I would like to do a clean install as everyone seems to be recommending, but I don't want to screwup my Windows installation. Will a clean install have any impact on my bootcamp partition?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Martytoof posted:

Hmm. OK so any tips on importing a keychain into Lion from a 10.6 disk?

- Keychain Access / File / Import Items...
- Navigate to /Users/olduser/Library/Keychains
- Can't select login.keychain because it's grayed out :smith:

This might be my cue to start using 1Passwd.
Instead of importing it, try adding it. File > Add Keychain...

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007
Just to confirm - I can't download Lion yet can I? When it's available I guess it'll be the featured app on the App Store?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I thought about that, but I'm a little concerned that I'd be adding a second login keychain. Will it give me the chance to rename it or something? I guess I could just try, but this is the kind of thing where I'd rather err on the side of caution.

I've basically been importing or otherwise copying that keychain since like 10.3 I think, so it's amassed quite a collection of garbage. It won't be the end of the world if I have to start over with a clean keychain.

DBFT posted:

Just to confirm - I can't download Lion yet can I? When it's available I guess it'll be the featured app on the App Store?

Correct. Apple store itself is down right now, so it'll likely come up with Lion ready to go.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jul 20, 2011

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Martytoof posted:

I thought about that, but I'm a little concerned that I'd be adding a second login keychain. Will it give me the chance to rename it or something? I guess I could just try, but this is the kind of thing where I'd rather err on the side of caution.
You can rename it in Finder. Yes it is adding a second keychain, but the stuff you want can be dragged and dropped into your current keychain.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

wolffenstein posted:

You can rename it in Finder. Yes it is adding a second keychain, but the stuff you want can be dragged and dropped into your current keychain.

Awesome, thanks! My only concern was that it would somehow confuse the system with regards to which the actual login keychain would be.

I'll go ahead and add this as a second user keychain then.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Also, my internet keeps dropping every few hours for 5-10 seconds. It's really annoying and has never happened prior to 10.7.

I'm really hoping these are all bugs that get fixed when Lion officially comes out.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ziir posted:

I'm really hoping these are all bugs that get fixed when Lion officially comes out.
Keep checking Software Update for quick fixes right after it's officially out :v:.

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.
OP, the link for "App Cleaner" is 404. "OnyX" is also down.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I hope someone makes some UI patches for color Finder sidebar icons quick. One of the only things I really dislike about Lion are the iTunes-esque finder icons. Also, why the hell did they move the mounted volumes/HD stuff to the bottom of the sidebar?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

~Coxy posted:

Alternatively, install Ejector and never have to worry about finding that pesky window that opened in the background somewhere.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Supposedly 15 minutes until launch. I'm so excited, I might pee myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
LIon's up!