Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pneub posted:

I always forget that Raven was 7ft, and that Hogan and Goldberg were 7ft4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

1st AD posted:

As bad as the Nitro/Thunder games were, they were at least charming in an arcadey kind of way. Mayhem and Backstage Assault were the worst things I've ever seen. Mayhem was kind of cool in that it had a PPV code thing, but the problem was that the roster was incomplete and a ton of dudes were fleeing to the WWF, so there weren't more than 2 events that actually used it. Also it was one of the first games I can remember with a shitload of commentary, but the game was so bad it was hard to notice.

Backstage Assault was even dumber and I'm trying to block it from memory.

To be fair, when Mayhem came out it was actually a pretty decent game. It's just aged horribly. I'd say the same thing about WWF Warzone/Attitude.

I rented Backstage Assault when it came out, and actually thought I had rented an unfinished game. I thought I had somehow ended up with a beta version EA had accidentally sent to the rental place.

MassRayPer posted:

I could explain that but then I would have to explain why Hulk Hogan was on fire.

I love that intro, because it was like a Japanese interpretation of American wrestling. Loud senseless music, big trucks, and things on fire.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The thing that stood out the most to me in Backstage Assault was inferno matches. Not only was the object to throw your opponent into a burning trash can/burn them with a flaming 2x4, they stayed burning after the match. So having two girls in those matches was especially dark, and I was wonder why the poo poo they thought that was a good idea in any manner.

I never did any silly renaming in Revenge or No Mercy, I must not have been playing the right way. I was always OCD about trying to keep everyone costumes up to date though, changing them every single RAW and Smackdown.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

To be fair, when Mayhem came out it was actually a pretty decent game. It's just aged horribly. I'd say the same thing about WWF Warzone/Attitude

It was less decent and more, "Everyone still played it".

WWF Attitude is good for one thing: Custom entrance themes. BIOHAZARD

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I was really excited for Mayhem. FINALLY, a wrestling game made by the BEST sports game company on the planet! How could this fail?!

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached
we should probably get Scotsman in here to review WCW Thunder.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

El Duke posted:

we should probably get Scotsman in here to review WCW Thunder.

Thunder? I don't know what you're talking about. Now, SCOTSMAN REVIEW WCW friend of the family, I know what that means.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I gave up holding out hope for a WCW Thunder review years ago, but I'm pretty sure Scotsman promised to review TNA iMPACT! more recently...

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Flameingblack posted:

I never did any silly renaming in Revenge or No Mercy, I must not have been playing the right way. I was always OCD about trying to keep everyone costumes up to date though, changing them every single RAW and Smackdown.

I am still flabbergasted that no company has simply taken the mechanics of No Mercy/Revenge and just slapped modern graphics and updated movesets on it. It has the best finisher system to date, the simplest and most intuitive grappling system, and the KO feature. Its the best, and i still play it once or twice a year.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Flameingblack posted:

Haha, I do the exact opposite. Right now everyone in SvR2011 has pink tights/trunks because it's Pride Week in the WWE.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

My favorite but was when you put the boston the crab in someone occasionally it would flip the person around and make it look like he was trying to violate them.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I am still flabbergasted that no company has simply taken the mechanics of No Mercy/Revenge and just slapped modern graphics and updated movesets on it. It has the best finisher system to date, the simplest and most intuitive grappling system, and the KO feature. Its the best, and i still play it once or twice a year.

Ever play Def Jam Vendetta? It uses the AKI engine, and is a pretty decent Wrestling game for the PS2/Gamecube era. The engine still holds up, but the roster makes it unplayable.

triplexpac posted:

Raven did a lot better than Hardcore Hak.

Lance Storm did pretty well though... didn't he have 4 titles at one point? US, Cruiserweight, Hardcore, and... TV title? Or was that sometime after Scott Hall threw it in the trash and Jim Duggen found it?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Its owned by that company and they use it for rap fighting games.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
The only thing I didn't like about the N64 games was that if your guy's finisher was a submission move instead of being able to just apply it you would have to grapple and do a powerbomb and then the finisher.

It's really nitpicky but dammit if I'm Chris Jericho I just wanna put people in the Liontamer while they're on the ground.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Astro7x posted:

Ever play Def Jam Vendetta? It uses the AKI engine, and is a pretty decent Wrestling game for the PS2/Gamecube era. The engine still holds up, but the roster makes it unplayable.

You are so wrong. Any game that allows you to use L'il Kim to beat the everliving poo poo out of Henry Rollins is the opposite of unplayable. I'm dying for another one of these, and not that Def Jam Icon horseshit.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Karmine posted:

The only thing I didn't like about the N64 games was that if your guy's finisher was a submission move instead of being able to just apply it you would have to grapple and do a powerbomb and then the finisher.

It's really nitpicky but dammit if I'm Chris Jericho I just wanna put people in the Liontamer while they're on the ground.

I am almost positive you could. That might have been an improvement between games

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Liontamer was a regular move so instead of only being able to use it when your Special meter is blinking, you can lock it at any time. This allowed for false finishes but also still injured the leg. I can't entirely remember but there might have also been a special leg hold slot, but even if there was, all leg submissions were available at any time.

It's just in the front grapple they gave you the option to do "X into Y" specials and people tended to use that every time they wanted to use the finishing move.

If you wanted to beat a guy with a submission, it was usually best to try your submission once while the guy makes it to the ropes to soften him up.

DrewFoundGlory
Dec 6, 2006
You guys want some cookies?
The best thing about Revenge is many of the wrestler alternate costumes would be basically their skin color. Many a title was won by "Naked Goldberg". Also I always named Ming Chee "baby huey" and made the color scheme on his outfit look like a diaper.

Ok I lied...the REAL best thing is stealing your opponents taunts. Raven dancing like Alex Wright or Disco Inferno...priceless!

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I'm pretty sure the old Gamcecube WWF games have that system. Wrestlemania x8-19 and Day of Reckoning 1/2. I need to get to the local rummage market to see if I can find them, X8 has a pretty sweet roster and I loved being Scott Hall.

What was everyone's favorite wrestler or team in Revenge? I went with Saturn and Scott Hall for singles and as a team together.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
THQ going to Yukes and dumping AKI was bad enough, but them having an actually good engine for DOR 1 & 2 and then not using it again might be even worse.

The SVR games are finally decent now, but it wasn't worth 10 years of mostly bad Smackdown/SVR titles to get there when AKI could have been making them the entire time.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DrewFoundGlory posted:

The best thing about Revenge is many of the wrestler alternate costumes would be basically their skin color. Many a title was won by "Naked Goldberg". Also I always named Ming Chee "baby huey" and made the color scheme on his outfit look like a diaper.

Ok I lied...the REAL best thing is stealing your opponents taunts. Raven dancing like Alex Wright or Disco Inferno...priceless!

Priceless was playing DDP against Booker T, with a run-in by Benoit, dumping Booker to the outside, followed by stereo DDP taunts. That poo poo rocked.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Taking control of managers on Revenge was also a neat little secret.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Golden Bee posted:

Why is the hardcore champion a black guy I've never heard of?

Because he's Steve, Black Man.

This is loving awesome.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

Lone Rogue posted:

Liontamer was a regular move so instead of only being able to use it when your Special meter is blinking, you can lock it at any time. This allowed for false finishes but also still injured the leg. I can't entirely remember but there might have also been a special leg hold slot, but even if there was, all leg submissions were available at any time.

It's just in the front grapple they gave you the option to do "X into Y" specials and people tended to use that every time they wanted to use the finishing move.

If you wanted to beat a guy with a submission, it was usually best to try your submission once while the guy makes it to the ropes to soften him up.

it was like that in Revenge and Wrestlemania 2000, but by No Mercy, there was just straight up specials for essentially every grapple/non striking slot. For example there was a special grapple from the apron to the ring, a special facing up leg submission, a special rear suplex with oppenent on the turnbuckle slot. The only thing there wasn't specials for were running grapples. Jericho's front grapple special in No Mercy was the triple powerbomb that maybe pinned as well.

There were a few moves I really missed from Wrestlemania 2000, essentially the counter from when your opponent has a rear grapple. They'd release german suplex you and you'd roll back, turn back and sprint toward the opponent and do your running strike. It looked hilarious with pretty much everyone.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Revenge had a bunch of reversals & moves that weren't in the other games as well. They had that wacky ninja combo thing that certain guys could do, I remember that one for sure.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

triplexpac posted:

Revenge had a bunch of reversals & moves that weren't in the other games as well. They had that wacky ninja combo thing that certain guys could do, I remember that one for sure.

The striking/MMA character settings are the primary reason I still prefer VPW2 to No Mercy, dammit.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

This is why Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 is the best of both worlds. Plus Baba body.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The American Dream posted:

What was everyone's favorite wrestler or team in Revenge? I went with Saturn and Scott Hall for singles and as a team together.

Every answer is wrong unless it's AKI/THQ man.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Gavok posted:

Then we reached the fictional characters based on Japanese wrestlers and decided to start making things up.

"AKI Man? Got arrested for beastiality."

"I remember that!"

AKI Man = Pepsi Man

And then the alternate outfits were Coca Cola Boy, Dr. Pepper and SURGE!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Going back to WCW discussion, WWE Classic on Demand preview of the NWO with panel composed of Kevin Nash, JJ Dillion, Jim Ross, and Michael P.S. (Piece of poo poo) Hayes with Mean Gene as the moderator.

Unsurprisingly like the other panels, Michael Hayes doesn't shut the gently caress up about things he was never involved in and interrupts everyone. gently caress him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7CM82u_hT0

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Lone Rogue posted:

It was less decent and more, "Everyone still played it".

WWF Attitude is good for one thing: Custom entrance themes. BIOHAZARD

500 pound, blue skinned fat women doing hurricanranas made that the funniest game released on the n64

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

My favorite silly name edit was changing Giant's singlet brown in Revenge and naming him "Poop Giant"

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Dschingis Khan posted:

My favorite silly name edit was changing Giant's singlet brown in Revenge and naming him "Poop Giant"

Mine was altering Too Cool and Rikishi's other costumes into other wrestlers, so you could make anyone do the dance. My fav was Bikertaker, Kane, and Paul Bearer

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
How can you say Hayes wasn't involved? Dok Hendrix was on the frontline of the war!

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
He was on the hotline at minimum.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I can't hate Michael Hayes interrupting poo poo.

Especially since his interruptions during the "Best Canadian Wrestlers" thing were completely fair. Pat Patterson was the one being an idiot.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.
I think it was on 'No Mercy' that if you changed the wrestler's main costume/appearance then when they appeared in the intro they kept that appearance. Changing everyone who appeared in the intro to a large, fat black man provided hours of amusement.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I always wondered... was Sting injured in 1996 which is why he never wrestled and just did run ins during his crow persona transformation? Or was that intentionally done to build the epic build up to Starrcade against Hogan?

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Astro7x posted:

I always wondered... was Sting injured in 1996 which is why he never wrestled and just did run ins during his crow persona transformation? Or was that intentionally done to build the epic build up to Starrcade against Hogan?

Intentionally done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
People say Eric had one good idea, but holding off Sting & Hogan was really well done. It showed patience you don't see anymore. Not sure how much of that was him, but since he was in charge at the time I assume he could have made the match happen whenever he wanted.