Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!

Roving Reporter posted:

Cutting edge operating system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

CrackTsunami posted:

From Twitter:
http://twitter.com/!/akulbe/status/93671370533244929
The build number for the MAS release of Lion is 11A494. The GM seed is newer.

Edit: derp. I'm dumb.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm stuck on wireless. The blue bar laughs at me :smith:

Jiggs
May 31, 2001
Where the hell is Bulgaria?

unruly posted:

Have you tried doing what the error tells you to do?

Yes. I am poking around in disk utility, but every option looks like I will nuke my system.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

beefnoodle posted:

Is there a way to view the transfer rate in the App Store like there is with iTunes downloads?

Easiest way I found was using Activity Monitor or iStat. Doesn't seem to be anything built into the app itself.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

beefnoodle posted:

Is there a way to view the transfer rate in the App Store like there is with iTunes downloads?

Go to your Purchased tab, you can watch it downloading there.

(Downloaded in 30 min for me, thanks FiOS)

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.
I only got my Mac a few months ago so am a newbie to all this. Should I do a clean install before upgrading, or can I just download and update onto of SL without any problems?

Cripple Fight
Sep 5, 2006

echobucket posted:

As soon as someone gets this installed, I'd love for you to go to About This Mac and let us know the build number.

This?

Groan Zone
Nov 21, 2004

chug-a-lug, donna
Is there any way to do an archive and install? Customize option is grayed out for my drive.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000
Nope. That was just such a silly option anyway.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

CrackTsunami posted:

From Twitter:
http://twitter.com/!/akulbe/status/93671370533244929
The build number for the MAS release of Lion is 11A494. The GM seed is newer.

Does this mean people with GM installed don't need to reinstall Lion, they cab just pay for it and not even bother downloading?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

doomisland posted:

I have a quick question about Lion. I know they removed the current samba program but did they replace it with something else in Lion? The only stuff on Google coming up are rumor sites from when the samba news first broke. Thanks

They replaced it with their own implementation which apparently works with Win7 machines but not much else, including WinXP and random NAS devices/ XBMC/Boxee/etc.

You can install samba3 through MacPorts, and I'm sure someone will package it soonish when it becomes apparent that we're back to the 10.1 days of nothing loving working interoperability-wise.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Cripple Fight posted:

This?

Cool, This conflicts with what people were saying on twitter. This is the same build number as the GM I already downloaded.

Did you take this screenshot from the Mac App Store downloaded version of Lion?

echobucket fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 20, 2011

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Groan Zone posted:

Is there any way to do an archive and install? Customize option is grayed out for my drive.

I liked customized installs in SL because then I could choose to not install printer drivers, languages, etc, and choose to install dev tools and Xcode.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

hannibal posted:

Go to your Purchased tab, you can watch it downloading there.

(Downloaded in 30 min for me, thanks FiOS)

That shows some of what I wanted, but not transfer rate (like when you option-click in iTunes). But it's something to watch.

Thanks.

Cripple Fight
Sep 5, 2006

Any reason why I can't get to the desktop through the mission control thing? I used to be able to just click it from expose etc.

This really makes my computer heat up a lot more

Cripple Fight fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 20, 2011

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Will Lion gently caress with my ability to have Xcode 3?

ferretsrule
Jul 8, 2010

It's an ostrich :)

echobucket posted:

Cool, This conflicts with what people were saying on twitter. This is the same build number as the GM I already downloaded.

I've got the same number from the App Store.

Cripple Fight
Sep 5, 2006

echobucket posted:

Yes

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

ferretsrule posted:

I've got the same number from the App Store.

I wonder where people are getting this 11A494 from then.. Crazy.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Got an answer from the official Apple supplier of our university.

Me: Hey, how can I purchase Lion for the machines we have here?
Her: We don't know yet.

Thanks. :eng99:

JustLikeMe
Jan 9, 2005
Upgrading won't effect my boot camp partition right?

Mega Boris
Feb 21, 2001

Better luck next time, slugheads!
What was the verdict on the Erase and Install or the Boot USB. I wanted to start my system fresh and couldn't find a clear answer on this.

Yisan
Jul 29, 2003

Strike First...
Strike Hard...
SHOW NO MERCY

Ziir posted:

Also, my internet keeps dropping every few hours for 5-10 seconds. It's really annoying and has never happened prior to 10.7.

I'm really hoping these are all bugs that get fixed when Lion officially comes out.

I'm having the same problem with my Lion install. I have a White intel MacBook and a 2nd gen MacBook air that both tend to drop wireless for about 10-15 seconds. Sometimes you have to go and disable wireless and then enable wireless again. Anyone else experience that?

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

JustLikeMe posted:

Upgrading won't effect my boot camp partition right?

It hasn't seemed to affect mine, but I only used it once, everything worked just fine though.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Bootcamp is not affected. XCode 3 does not work with Lion.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Doctor Zero posted:

Got an answer from the official Apple supplier of our university.

Me: Hey, how can I purchase Lion for the machines we have here?
Her: We don't know yet.

Thanks. :eng99:

I've already discussed this with my Edu reps a few weeks ago. If you are part of the AELP program, you'll be covered for installations on any computers that are part of the program. How you acquire Lion is up in the air, but once you do, you can use the disk image trick and use it to install or make images from and deploy it out to the remainder of your computers.

If you aren't part of AELP, you'll need to get AELP setup.

http://images.apple.com/education/pricelists/pdfs/20110621_Education_AELP.pdf

I'm not sure how it will work for Enterprise yet, I'm just getting in to that today.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

Yisan posted:

I'm having the same problem with my Lion install. I have a White intel MacBook and a 2nd gen MacBook air that both tend to drop wireless for about 10-15 seconds. Sometimes you have to go and disable wireless and then enable wireless again. Anyone else experience that?

I have the same problem on my iMac, where it goes from "green" to "yellow" in the Network preferences. I don't know if it's my routers new placement or Lion yet as I literally just moved to another apartment.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Shin-chan posted:

I've already discussed this with my Edu reps a few weeks ago. If you are part of the AELP program, you'll be covered for installations on any computers that are part of the program. How you acquire Lion is up in the air, but once you do, you can use the disk image trick and use it to install or make images from and deploy it out to the remainder of your computers.

I'm not sure how it will work for Enterprise yet, I'm just getting in to that today.

Ooh interesting. I'll email the Apple Rep and see what he says about that. Thanks!

Cripple Fight
Sep 5, 2006

The only issues I've had so far are overheating and right clicking delaying to the point where it determines the options based on where the cursor is now, rather than where it was when I clicked.

Oh and swiping is blocked or something so I can't use it in firefox

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Now that the gag order's off Lion, I just wanted to mention a few things:

1) IMHO you shouldn't bother running Lion on anything that's not a metal-encased Mac. I've had it running on a first-gen Intel plastic Core 2 Duo iMac and it definitely drives the system harder, as I'm seeing graphic garbage and other stuff that's never happened on that machine. It was running Snow Leopard just fine. Same thing with a 2007 MacBook, graphics break up and general niggling fits and lockups on a 3 GB Macbook. Yeah yeah ancedotal evidence.

2) It looks like number crunching-intensive programs will definitely need to be rewritten for Lion. BOINC projects keep cropping up computational errors.

3) I see sales of the Lion thumbdrive going through the roof. They'd better loving make it available in retail, I'm not going to pay $70 for FedEx to stomp it with a boot and say it fell off the belt or something.

Edit: the iMac had discrete Radeon X1600, the MacBook the crapstan GMA 950

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 20, 2011

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Binary Badger posted:

3) I see sales of the Lion thumbdrive going through the roof. They'd better loving make it available in retail, I'm not going to pay $70 for FedEx to stomp it with a boot and say it fell off the belt or something.

I will buy this the second it comes out. Stupid App Store. I want the key.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well Lion is about 75% downloaded and I just realized I'm on a corporate Snow Leopard machine at work. I wonder what it's going to be like going back and forth between scrolling models everyday.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

flyboi posted:

Bootcamp is not affected. XCode 3 does not work with Lion.

Learning is sure going to be a hoot now.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Couple of questions:

- After you install Lion does it delete the file you downloaded? I realized I want to do the DMG thing and make a USB installer, but I've already installed it and it's not clear if it kept the installation file.

- Is there a newer XCode out now? I thought I had the version from the MAS but when I launch it I get an error saying XCode 3 is not compatible with Lion (of course). The Mac Dev Center seems to be overwhelmed right now (maybe other people trying to download xcode?)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Shin-chan posted:

Ah, apparently there's a volume licensing option on the Apple Store. It's discounted (for us, pretty heavily) per license and you get a download code for the App Store. You can then put it on however many machines you bought licenses for.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I can't upgrade to Lion on my MacBook, but will the apps like iCal and Mail update? Or will they be part of a new iLife but still run once purchased? Or they won't work at all because they have lots of Lion specific stuff?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

hannibal posted:

Couple of questions:

- After you install Lion does it delete the file you downloaded? I realized I want to do the DMG thing and make a USB installer, but I've already installed it and it's not clear if it kept the installation file.

- Is there a newer XCode out now? I thought I had the version from the MAS but when I launch it I get an error saying XCode 3 is not compatible with Lion (of course). The Mac Dev Center seems to be overwhelmed right now (maybe other people trying to download xcode?)

If you have a paid dev account you can get Xcode 4 for free. If not it's 5 bucks on the app store.

And no sadly Xcode 3 does not work on Lion. I hope some new Obj-C, OS X, and iOS books come out written using Xcode 4.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I'm going to be getting the new Macbook Air (my first Mac!) on the weekend, and I'm wondering if there's anything I really should get at the same time. What sort of apps would you guys consider must-have for an OSX newcomer?

Also, from what I understand, iWork doesn't come with new Macs like iLife does, and I'll be typing lots of lecture notes that I'd like to be able to read in Word 2007 on PC. What should I choose to get, iWork or Office 2011?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crisis
Mar 1, 2010
Wow, I really love the new Safari! I like the magical disappearing scrollbar (I'm pretty sure it's going to be controversial, though), the ability to zoom in with a double-tap, predictive typing, and reading list features. I've been using Safari for a while now just to give it a fair chance to impress me over its more popular peers, and this update marks a pretty big improvement.

Mission Control seems great, I'll have to try out Launchpad soon. I am missing the ability to run PowerPC applications, but overall this feels like a pretty exciting update!