Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

KillHour posted:

Ouch, dude. Hard times all around. :smith::respek::smith:

I've been looking at it as an opportunity rather than a setback. I've known for a long time that I've been underpaid in a dead-end job, but it's been an easy job with amazing flexibility, so it's been hard to put a lot of effort into leaving. I certainly have that motivation now, though.

Come on Year of the Job, if anybody has earned some karma points around here, it's me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
My company's looking for some Chicago-based storage talent in a hurry. PM if interested.

------------------------------
EMC Storage Engineer

Who You Are:
The Storage Engineer will help clients design storage and virtualization solutions and provide technical implementation and integration with EMC SAN products (Celerra, CLARiiON, Centerra, Isilon, Symmetrix, VNX, VMAX). Overall responsibilities consist of pre-site data gathering, storage and virtualization solution design, interoperability verification, initial installation / configuration, optimization re-configuration, and technical knowledge transfer to the customer.

What’s Required:
Extensive hands-on experience in implementation, monitoring, managing, troubleshooting, and reporting of EMC SAN, CAS and EMC NAS systems and respective backup and archive software (Celerra, CLARiiON, Centerra, Isilon, Symmetrix, VNX, VMAX).

Knowledge of VMware and Cisco datacenter products is strongly desired.
Must possess strong interpersonal, business and technology skills that enable them to engage at the CxO and Director/Manager levels, as well as lead teams of consultants and clients.
Ideal candidates will also be experienced in IT consulting with a holistic understanding of the IT operations within a business organization.
Be able to quickly adapt to a fast-paced sales and quality-based delivery model, work in a team-based environment.

Mecha-Tech
Nov 3, 2008

brc64 posted:

I just received notice today that I'm getting laid off, so... any Dallas-area goons who know of any openings for a Windows admin, please let me know. More details are in the OP. I've been maintaining this job thread for over 2 years now, so you know I'm a dedicated worker...

Man, that sucks. Here I was, about to start bitching about the board saying 'no, no raises for anyone this year, and no training, either,' but at least I still have a job.

:negative:

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

Come on Year of the Job, if anybody has earned some karma points around here, it's me!

Should of spent that karma on contacts chief.

My sympathy though, and best of luck finding new work. You've been a saint keeping this thread updated.

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum

brc64 posted:

I've been looking at it as an opportunity rather than a setback. I've known for a long time that I've been underpaid in a dead-end job, but it's been an easy job with amazing flexibility, so it's been hard to put a lot of effort into leaving. I certainly have that motivation now, though.

I'm not really going to be much help, but I know that Rackspace and Softlayer and a few other big managed hosting providers are near you - and I know some other people who have posted in this thread work there... maybe you can check with them? :shobon:

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

CaladSigilon posted:

I'm not really going to be much help, but I know that Rackspace and Softlayer and a few other big managed hosting providers are near you - and I know some other people who have posted in this thread work there... maybe you can check with them? :shobon:

I'm not leaving any stone unturned.

Hey thread, can you give me a crash course in contract work? What to expect, what to look out for, what to ask for, and what to avoid?

I've already had my first bite, a recruiter for a 1 year contract job with a large financial institution. I've never done a contract job before, though, so it's scary territory. I'm in the fortunate position right now that my wife has a stable job with good health benefits, so I do not need to worry about things like health insurance. What I'm unsure about is what kind of bargaining power I do have for that type of work, and if there are specific warning signs I should keep an eye out for.

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

brc64 posted:

I'm not leaving any stone unturned.

Hey thread, can you give me a crash course in contract work? What to expect, what to look out for, what to ask for, and what to avoid?

I've already had my first bite, a recruiter for a 1 year contract job with a large financial institution. I've never done a contract job before, though, so it's scary territory. I'm in the fortunate position right now that my wife has a stable job with good health benefits, so I do not need to worry about things like health insurance. What I'm unsure about is what kind of bargaining power I do have for that type of work, and if there are specific warning signs I should keep an eye out for.

Some basic rules off of the top of my head from someone who has done some contract work, but not a whole ton. Others may know better; listen to them.

1. Your asking salary should be significantly higher than what you would ask as an employee. Remember, you are paying 2x the taxes, plus you should charge more for instability.
2. You may need to hire an accountant to help you with your taxes. Contractor taxes can get really messy, really quickly.
3. Don't be afraid to walk away from a contract if it's not paying well enough, if you have a better offer, if it's incredibly miserable, etc. It's not like leaving an employment.
4. You may or may not need (or want) to carry some insurance to protect you from liability.
5. You're going to want to put a rather significant amount into savings as a cushion for being between contracts. The "rainy day" fund for an employee might only be a month or two of salary. Contractors might want to bank half a year or more.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

CaladSigilon posted:

Some basic rules off of the top of my head from someone who has done some contract work, but not a whole ton. Others may know better; listen to them.

2. You may need to hire an accountant to help you with your taxes. Contractor taxes can get really messy, really quickly.

I'm not quite familiar with contracts and taxes quite yet - if I filled out only a W-4, is that the only form I have to be worried about? I've heard about 1099 and W-2s as relevant forms, but I've never had to fill those out (nor am I sure I'm even using the right phrase for them.)

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

CaladSigilon posted:

1. Your asking salary should be significantly higher than what you would ask as an employee. Remember, you are paying 2x the taxes, plus you should charge more for instability.
3. Don't be afraid to walk away from a contract if it's not paying well enough, if you have a better offer, if it's incredibly miserable, etc. It's not like leaving an employment.
4. You may or may not need (or want) to carry some insurance to protect you from liability.
5. You're going to want to put a rather significant amount into savings as a cushion for being between contracts. The "rainy day" fund for an employee might only be a month or two of salary. Contractors might want to bank half a year or more.

Most of this assumes that it's a 1099 contract. If you're working on a W2 basis taxes and poo poo are way easier to manage.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

stubblyhead posted:

Most of this assumes that it's a 1099 contract. If you're working on a W2 basis taxes and poo poo are way easier to manage.
The job I'm currently talking a recruiter about is a W2 position. He explained that my paycheck would come from the recruitment company (is that normal?). He was also really vague about time off, saying that there is no paid time off, but I would still be able to schedule unpaid time off if I needed...

I understand that benefits in general are more complicated with contract work...

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
Edit: Guess not, nm!

TheFlyingDutchman
May 26, 2005
Skyway wanderer

brc64 posted:

The job I'm currently talking a recruiter about is a W2 position. He explained that my paycheck would come from the recruitment company (is that normal?). He was also really vague about time off, saying that there is no paid time off, but I would still be able to schedule unpaid time off if I needed...

I understand that benefits in general are more complicated with contract work...

If you're going through a contracting company, it is entirely different than being an independent contractor, which was described above.

Your paycheck will come from your contracting agency, and they should be withdrawing taxes and such from your checks. There are some cons to contractors, mostly revolving around them being shady. One thing you should ask them is how much they're charging the client an hour for your time.

Other than that, there are good contractors and bad ones. The bad ones are the ones who don't provide you with benefits (insurance, retirement, pto, etc.).

I have worked for a couple of different contractors so far, and my experiences with them has been good.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

brc64 posted:

Yes, the payroll situation is normal. You are technically an employee of ShadyTech Contracting Co., contracted out to AwesomeCorp, the place where you actually go to work every day. So while you are doing work for the one company, your paycheck comes from the contracting firm, or from whoever does their payroll for them. The no PTO thing is pretty common, unfortunately. Find out what the company holidays are at the client, and make sure you're getting paid for those same holidays. Another thing I'd be sure to pay close attention to is OT policy.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

brc64 posted:

Contractor vs. Contract Employee

1099: You are a contractor, not an employee. The agreement is with a client, not an employer.

- The check is generally based on time and materials, which is in the contract.
- Frequency of payment is also in the contract.
- You have a contract. Generally this will come from the client, but often the client's attorney will want some boilerplate. Always a good idea to have a generic contract on hand (mine is currently nine pages).
- Generally speaking, you have no rights outside of what's been negotiated.
- You are responsible for all of your own taxes, medical, 401(k), etc.
- The client can cut you off whenever they want, unless otherwise specified in the contract.
- You generally have to give the client notice, and/or provide a replacement, as specified in the contract.

The good news is your time is essentially your own: you work when and where you want - I'm at anywhere from 50-75% telecommute with my clients, and I only work Tues-Thursday, with some brief meetings on Skype Monday and Friday.

More good news: my tax rate over the last 3 years has averaged around 5%, I've purchased my own medical insurance, which is better than I'd get from most employers, and I have my own 401(k) plan.

On the other hand, constantly chasing down gigs, chasing down invoices, and staying on top of cash flow can be tiring.

W-2: You are a contract employee, sometimes referred to as a contract-to-hire. The agreement is with a employer.
The issue is: who is the employer?

Lots of companies have different budgetary procedures: since a contract employee is a hell of a lot easier to terminate than a career employee, a lot more companies have gone this route in the last 5 years. In some instances, the contract may be between the employer and an employment company. Otherwise, it's direct between you and the employer: this is generally contract-to-hire.

The advantage to this is you're an employee: you show up somewhere, do the assigned duties, and get paid every two weeks (or 2x a month).

Contrary to popular belief, there are reputable employment agencies.For example - Kelly Staffing: they offer a full benefits package, have a metric shitton of training (including certs), and almost exclusively place with Fortune 100 companies. Once you're in that system, you're mobile - they'll place you wherever you want to go. My little brother has been placed at awesome gigs through them since he got out of school: he did five years at Fox Home Entertainment, and has been at Nissan for almost a year.

Feral Bueller fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 21, 2011

Fkin
Apr 19, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I have the following positions open (v- Ms contracts)

~5 technical testers

minimum 3-5 years experience with the following (priority order)
Experience testing SQL jobs/setup/data
Experience testing Apps pushing data to and presenting data from various SQL databases
Some knowledge of C# ((debugging/tfs test writing - not expecting a dev but you need to have some capacity here)
Experience writing test automation (online/app)

At least 1 contract technical PM minimum 3-5 years experience. Similar experience in areas to tester above (except test automation)

I also know of 2 TPM jobs that are or will be Full time MS jobs but you better be really solid as a TPM to consider those. One is in the BI space, one in Store CEX. (You might get by with 3 years experience if your resume reflects really relevant work experience but probably 5 years preferred)

PM me resumes and I will have an HR person contact you for a technical screening.

Edit - these positions are v- on Redmond campus with Microsoft in Seattle area. The 2 full time jobs are the same.

Fkin fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 21, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Sarcasmatron posted:

Contractor vs. Contract Employee
Thanks for that. It was very helpful. It sounds like contract-to-hire or employment agencies are more my speed, at least for the time being. That said, how can you tell if an employment agency is shady or not? The recruiter said that they did offer some benefits, but admitted that they were fairly weak.

Fkin posted:

I have the following positions open (v- Ms contracts)
Added. Good luck!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

brc64 posted:

Thanks for that. It was very helpful. It sounds like contract-to-hire or employment agencies are more my speed, at least for the time being. That said, how can you tell if an employment agency is shady or not? The recruiter said that they did offer some benefits, but admitted that they were fairly weak.

Added. Good luck!

I imagine it's probably going to depend somewhat on your local office if you're looking at one of the bigger companies. I did some work for TekSystems in the past and had a really good experience.

Most of the really shady ones I've dealt with the past were pretty obviously shady when I walked through the door. Bait and switch with job postings,doing business under a bunch of different names, etc.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

MJP posted:

My company just had a vacancy and I can honestly say that despite a few shortcomings (no casual Fridays, health plan is meh at best but dental is done by reimbursement and costs way less than a regular dental plan, only the big six federal holidays off) it's a really amazing bunch of people to work with. We're a managed service provider in Manhattan, conveniently located almost equidistant between Port Authority and Penn Station.

The guys and girls I work with are very good technical-minded people, we're all very laid-back and high-energy, and we're not evil corporate or anything like that. I'm not sure if the job is going to be more phone and remote support or more onsite support, or if they'll blend it like the previous incumbent had (90% of us are blended between onsites and phone/remote, I and one other person are phone/remote-only) but it's a good place to be. We do have Transitcheck for up to the current $230 government pre-tax maximum, decent vacation/sick/personal day allotment, and there's no real limit to what you can bring to the table or pick up on the job.

Bonuses paid for passed cert exams, reimbursements for training materials and exam fees, etc.

We're 97% PC and 3% Mac. Lots of Win 7 knowledge to go with XP. We run Exchange save for one or two clients who have Lotus Notes, but we're not too heavily involved with that. Lots of knowledge on networking, printers, MS Office 2003, 2007, and 2010 will be very good to have. We use Sonicwall and Cisco VPN clients.

Please send resumes or questions to mjpbyron at gmail dot com. There's lots of good times to be had at this office - we really do work hard but also play hard. I know there's a posting out there somewhere and will put a link here once I track it down.

Just a heads-up: we're still hiring to fill vacancies and growth. Same role as above. PM or email me your resume and I'll forward it on to my manager.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
edit: filled

Mierdaan fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 30, 2012

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

chizad posted:

Who we are: Professional services company for the communications, technology, and digital media industries

Where we are: Boston, MA and Overland Park, KS

What we want: Two desktop support type folks, one in each office. The positions are listed on CareerBuilder (here for Overland Park and here for Boston); the responsibilities and skills/qualifications and all that can be found there, so I'll just give my take on the position.

I've been working in this position for a bit over a year now, and in a nutshell, it's sort of a desktop support "plus"/jack-of-all-trades role. The main focus is end user support, a lot of which is done remotely; password resets/lockouts/setting up new users, software installs, troubleshooting hardware/software issues, documentation, and everything in-between. But I've also gotten to do server builds, done research and provided feedback on new technology we're looking at, helped with testing and implementation for some infrastructure projects, and other stuff that would probably be done at the junior admin level if we were a bigger team. You'll have plenty of opportunities to learn new things.

Why you’d want to work here:
Funny and easy to get along with coworkers and users. Independent work environment (i.e. no micromanagement); coworkers are always available and willing to help out if you've got a heavy workload or need to brainstorm or are stuck on something or whatever, but you'll be expected to take ownership of your tickets/projects and see them through to a successful end. Snacks and drinks in the office. Convenient locations (the Boston office is a few blocks from South Station and the Overland Park office is right off of I-435).

Why you wouldn’t want to work here:
I dunno, this is the sort of environment that fits my personality, so I really like it here. If you don't like getting your hands on a bit of everything and prefer to focus on one area, this probably isn't the position for you. Ditto if the bit above about the independent work environment terrified you.

Compensation: Salary. Health/dental/vision benefits, HSA/FSA, 401k

Both of these positions are now filled.

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010
My experience: 3 years as a Signal Support Systems Specialist (MOS: 25U) in the Army, one of those years was spent deployed. This boils down to basic troubleshooting and networking work. Secret Security clearance.
What I'm looking for: Entry level tech support, coffee bitch, anything part time.
What I'm NOT looking for: Something that pays so little I can't afford rent.
Where I live: Pensacola, Florida
Where I'm looking: Anywhere within reasonable driving distance.
When I can start: Immediately.
Requirements: Must be part time, I'll be attending college for a software development degree.

Can be reached via: lathen@gmail.com

I just moved to Florida from New Hampshire after getting off of a deployment. I'm looking for any kind of entry level anything. My alternative is working retail pretty much anywhere but I'd much rather do something involving computers. I'm a very quick learner, and I'm willing to work for free for a week to show you that I'm worth taking a gamble on.

edit:changed email address

Kumquat fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 25, 2011

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Kumquat posted:

My experience: 3 years as a Signal Support Systems Specialist (MOS: 25U) in the Army, one of those years was spent deployed. This boils down to basic troubleshooting and networking work. Secret Security clearance.
What I'm looking for: Entry level tech support, coffee bitch, anything part time.
What I'm NOT looking for: Something that pays so little I can't afford rent.
Where I live: Pensacola, Florida
Where I'm looking: Anywhere within reasonable driving distance.
When I can start: Immediately.
Requirements: Must be part time, I'll be attending college for a software development degree.

Can be reached via: lathen@gmail.com

I just moved to Florida from New Hampshire after getting off of a deployment. I'm looking for any kind of entry level anything. My alternative is working retail pretty much anywhere but I'd much rather do something involving computers. I'm a very quick learner, and I'm willing to work for free for a week to show you that I'm worth taking a gamble on.

edit:changed email address

Too bad you aren't in Tampa. When I was looking for a new IT job, I swear I saw a ton of entry level stuff but it all required a secret clearance. Of course I couldn't apply for any of it since I've never been in the service.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dolemite posted:

Too bad you aren't in Tampa. When I was looking for a new IT job, I swear I saw a ton of entry level stuff but it all required a secret clearance. Of course I couldn't apply for any of it since I've never been in the service.

You should have applied anyways. Companies can get you security clearance if you need it to perform your job.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

H110Hawk posted:

I'm hiring a Senior Linux System Administrator with a focus on datacenter operations. You would be working on a team with me and one other person to keep our infrastructure humming along. We will have around 1200 servers by the end of August in 4 locations around the world.

Hit me up at: sajobs@hawknetworks.com with your resume attached.

This is what I posted to craigslist:

Linux Systems Administrator / Datacenter Operations

OpenX is looking for talented and highly motivated Linux Systems Administrators to help us design and build scalable, high-performance datacenter infrastructure to handle billions of transactions per day. Developing this infrastructure will present many interesting technical challenges to solve in the areas of distributed computing, high-performance computing, and high availability.

Job Responsibilities:

* Design, implement, and support high-performance, highly-available datacenter infrastructure.
* Build and maintain models for growth and capacity planning.
* Tune large-scale clusters for optimal performance and efficiency.
* Server, Network, and Datacenter provisioning for large scale projects.

Required Job Qualifications

* Experience with large infrastructures 200+ machines spanning multiple locations.
* Experience configuring network devices such as routers and switches. (and comfortable with network design on a whiteboard)
* Knowledge of a wide variety of current server hardware and software platforms.
* Strong Linux system administration background, from bare metal through virtualization. (Yes, there will be a quiz!)
* Passion for open source communities and philosophies.
* Excellent communication, teamwork, and documentation skills.
* BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience is a strong plus.

Nice to have:
* Experience with programming in Perl. (buying a book with a camel on it does not automatically qualify you for this)
* BGP, OSPF, and other inter-site routing protocols. (defining these is not sufficient, be prepared to solve problems)
* Strong CentOS/RHEL management including rpm and kickstart.

OpenX is led by CEO Tim Cadogan (former SVP Global Advertising Marketplaces at Yahoo! and early core team member at GoTo/Overture) and Chairman Jon Miller (former CEO and Chairman of AOL, now CEO of Digital Media at News Corp). OpenX is backed by Accel Partners, Index and O'Reilly AlphaTech Ventures among others. See our cool press coverage (http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS32036660620100901)

OpenX is headquartered in Pasadena, CA with offices in London and New York.
drat that looks cool, I almost want to interview just for the two hours of whiteboard poo poo shooting.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
:toot: Year of the Job! Just got a $10,000/yr raise over what I was getting before I got laid off, along with not having to do any more desktop support.

gently caress am I glad I told myself I would not apply for anything Helpdesk/Desktop support related, unless things got real bad :v:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

StabbinHobo posted:

drat that looks cool, I almost want to interview just for the two hours of whiteboard poo poo shooting.

Oh, so you want the short interview?

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
would be rude to waste too much of your time

homegrown anycast or vendor gslb?

Mr. Moose Knuckle
Dec 2, 2004
Whats worse than cameltoe you ask....
My experience: Four years of experience doing Vmware/Windows System Administration in a mix of small office and hosting environments. I've got some linux/unix knowledge.
What I'm looking for: Windows/VMware Systems Administrator
What I'm NOT looking for: Help Desk work, Programming.
Where I live: Aberdeen SD
Where I'm looking: Open to relocation. Would be nice to be in the San Fran area or in North Carolina.
When I can start: Month or less.
Requirements: Health insurance/401k.
Can be reached via: This thread or brownrob@last-save.com

Mr. Moose Knuckle fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 11, 2011

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice

Suborbital posted:

I just sent you an email with my resume and contact info!

Is there a way to reach you? (I hope you see this) Paul says he never received your resume. Send it again!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

StabbinHobo posted:

would be rude to waste too much of your time

homegrown anycast or vendor gslb?

Akamai for now.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

H110Hawk posted:

Akamai for now.

I have such a love/hate with them. Love the core functionality. Can't live with out it, don't have the time/manpower to homegrow it. Hate literally every other thing about them. Doing a cotendo trial in sept, fingers crossed.

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 27, 2011

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
We're looking to add Pre-Sales Technical Consultants in Detroit, Madison, and LA.

PM me for more information.

Job description follows:

--------------------------------
We are looking to hire a strong Pre-Sales Technical Consultant who can help us expand our rapidly growing focus in the {Michigan | Madison | LA} market. You will be responsible for helping our customers design their next-generation virtualized data centers. Candidates will be exceptionally with broad and deep with Cisco, Storage (agnostic) and VMware.

You can expect to:
  • Work with cutting edge technology
  • Deliver high-quality solutions across multiple industries
  • Work on a variety of projects ranging in both size and scope
  • Receive continuous training
  • Work with dynamic, passionate and talented people

You will work with our clients on planning and designing converged network infrastructures. From a planning perspective, you will work with clients to understand key business objectives and drivers, and align network capabilities with those requirements to develop an overall network strategy. Design involves working with clients and network hardware vendors to engineer the network infrastructure solution based on client guidelines and requirements.

The ideal candidate for this position will possess knowledge and experience in architecting, engineering, and deploying network infrastructure, and should ideally have technical experience (hands-on implementation or large-scale engineering) in these areas. In addition, the candidate should also possess strong work planning skills and the ability to interact with client personnel at all levels, as well as understand the network implications of business requirements.

Key Responsibilities may include:
  • Perform assessments of existing client network infrastructures and document "as-is" environments as required
  • Work with clients to develop high-level network strategies
  • Organize project work into client presentations outlining findings and recommendations.
  • Establish and maintain good working relationships with clients.
  • Participate in internal and client-facing meetings, prepare reports and presentations
  • Develop internal white papers and knowledge capital on network technology topics

stuph
Aug 31, 2004

donkey punching my way to the top

stuph fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 2, 2021

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Kumquat posted:

:words:

Greetings fellow Pensacola goon. I grew up there, but moved away almost eight years ago now. I don't think the job market there is so hot unfortunately, especially if you're looking for something part time. There's a large defense presence in the area, so maybe you could leverage your service experience to find something along those lines. I assume you're going to be at UWF? Go visit the folks at career services in building 19 over by the commons, they should be able to help you out with something. They should have listings for student jobs or stuff with local companies for people in your position. Best of luck and I hope you're not stuck in Pensacola for any longer than you have to be.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
EDIT: Job filled (non-goon, sadly)...

There's a job opening at my office. I work for "Mount Vernon Net," an end-user ISP (mostly residential users) in southern Illinois.

Pro: It's a job. You get to work with at least one goon, and there's room to grow into a higher position. The office is pretty laid-back, and at the bottom of the ladder you won't have to worry about weird shifts or being on-call; it'll be a weekday nine-to-five (actually 9am-6pm) routine.

Con: it's entry-level support/helpdesk, with commensurate pay. We're in Mount Vernon, IL (about an hour from Saint Louis, MO, and an hour and a half from Evansville, Indiana). Serious middle-of-nowhere stuff.

The official job description and online application/skills assessment is at (URL removed).

Weird Uncle Dave fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 10, 2011

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My Education:
Pursuing Bachelor's degree in Software Engineering (ETA: June '12)
C# and Java are my two strongest languages.
Familiar with SQL Server Management Studio '05 / '08
Visual Studios
Proficient with MS Office
Very comfortable installing hardware

What I'm looking for:
Software-related paid internship.

What I'm NOT looking for:
I'd really like to avoid help desk. My roommate works help desk for APC and he is miserable 24/7.

Where I live:
Providence, RI

Where I'm looking:
Central Rhode Island. After college I'm willing to re-locate throughout the country.

When I can start:
I'd have to give my two-weeks notices, I currently hold a job tutoring IT associate-level students at college, and I also work in a retail environment repairing and selling technology products to customers (basically GeekSquad)

Requirements:
$15/hr

Can be reached via:
PM me here, please.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

Con: it's entry-level support/helpdesk, with commensurate pay. We're in Mount Vernon, IL (about an hour from Saint Louis, MO, and an hour and a half from Evansville, Indiana). Serious middle-of-nowhere stuff.
I grew up in Evansville, so yeah, I'm pretty familiar with how middle of nowhwere you are.

Followup question to my questions from earlier:
The position I interviewed for today is a 3-6 month (this is vague... how can it be vague?) contract (W2, through an IT staffing firm) position. I am told that it is to backfill a position where somebody was promoted internally, so there is a good chance that it could turn into a full time job at the end of the contract when they realize how awesome I am.

Contract rate of pay is $38/hr. I assume if I am "converted", I would end up negotiating a salary or rate with the company directly, and it will not be nearly as high as the contract rate. Is there any rule of thumb on what I could potentially expect to get out of that? I'm trying to evaluate potential long term options, and since this is a fairly short term contract, it makes me a little uneasy.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

brc64 posted:

I grew up in Evansville, so yeah, I'm pretty familiar with how middle of nowhwere you are.

Followup question to my questions from earlier:
The position I interviewed for today is a 3-6 month (this is vague... how can it be vague?) contract (W2, through an IT staffing firm) position. I am told that it is to backfill a position where somebody was promoted internally, so there is a good chance that it could turn into a full time job at the end of the contract when they realize how awesome I am.

Contract rate of pay is $38/hr. I assume if I am "converted", I would end up negotiating a salary or rate with the company directly, and it will not be nearly as high as the contract rate. Is there any rule of thumb on what I could potentially expect to get out of that? I'm trying to evaluate potential long term options, and since this is a fairly short term contract, it makes me a little uneasy.

I don't really have a good answer on why durations vary like that, especially when there's a good chance of converting at the end. My experience with getting converted was actually the opposite; I actually got a pretty healthy pay increase and much better benefits after becoming a permanent employee. YMMV though.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Directly ask the hiring manager how long the position is currently funded for and what type of increments his funding comes in: annually, quarterly or bi-annually (sounds like quarterly). Also ask the hiring manager if there is a finite amount of time that you can be a contractor at their company because some companies place a limit on how long they can keep a contractor. I found this out the hard way after I passed on a full time position and was let go for no reason in an at will state, but later my old boss told me it was due to the limit and not my performance. And just to be clear, ask these questions to the hiring manager and not to the agency.

Manage your life and finances as if the job will end in 3 months. If it doesn't great, and if it does you will be ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

brc64 posted:

I've seen it go both ways. Some companies pay a very high contract rate and you take a hit when you convert, and some pay a lower contract rate and you get a raise if you convert

I'm not sure what the job is, but 38/hr is 79K a year. Is the position a 79K a year position? If it's not expect a pay cut.

I would say in my company most contractors take a pay cut to join us from contract status, but we have very affordable and awesome PPO insurance, start folks at 3 weeks vacation and 8 sick days, 401K match with no vesting period, and all sorts of other benefits that usually end up making it worth it.