Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm not seeing how that make the Sequoia off-road capable?

All of the drive train components are shared between the sequoia and lc200. Most are shared by the Tundra as well. There is nothing off-road deficient in any of Toyota's body on frame SUV offerings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
My fiance's grandmother has an '05 Town and Country and it's been far more useful to us than our Cherokee. We have to borrow it any time we need to move large items, bring big stuff home from the hardware store, etc.

And it gets almost 25MPG even with my fiance the lead-foot driving it.

It's so great we might be replacing the XJ with one if the right deal comes along.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Skyssx posted:

All of the drive train components are shared between the sequoia and lc200. Most are shared by the Tundra as well. There is nothing off-road deficient in any of Toyota's body on frame SUV offerings.

According to Wikipedia (yeah authoritative I know) the Landcruiser also has a significantly reinforced chassis. At any rate I didn't realise the diesel wasn't universal in all markets.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Left Ventricle posted:

As for Rover, that means you're not American, and don't see why us dumb Yanks need enormous everything.

I live in Pennsylvania, so.....

I'm not even going to get into the rest of all of the justifications I'm hearing for driving a minivan. If you've (the collective you to include everyone else ranting about this) resigned yourself to wanting that, that's obviously what you're going to get or continue to own one. It makes it no difference to me. But you can't possibly say that you care that much about driving experience, as there are very clearly alternatives that can both perform the same functions and not suck.

Because those of you railing against this need to believe you made the right choice, you don't want to hear it. I get that. No one wants to hear they made a multiple-thousand dollar mistake or that they aren't as much of a driving enthusiast as they think the are while posting on a forum full of enthusiasts.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Skyssx posted:

I would consider lack of low range to be a major off-road deficiency. Never mind, I checked a few more sources and I guess you can get 4 low on the Sequoia. Thanks for the informative website Toyota. :effort:

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 20, 2011

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

I'm not even going to get into the rest of all of the justifications I'm hearing for driving a minivan. If you've (the collective you to include everyone else ranting about this) resigned yourself to wanting that, that's obviously what you're going to get or continue to own one. It makes it no difference to me. But you can't possibly say that you care that much about driving experience, as there are very clearly alternatives that can both perform the same functions and not suck.

Because those of you railing against this need to believe you made the right choice, you don't want to hear it. I get that. No one wants to hear they made a multiple-thousand dollar mistake or that they aren't as much of a driving enthusiast as they think the are while posting on a forum full of enthusiasts.

Yeah man. Major uncool.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Motronic posted:

Haha, jesus dude. Just because most of us are enthusiasts doesn't mean we don't get the point of a minivan. There are plenty of people on this forum that drive mundane vehicles (myself included) and have (or have had) other cars to satisfy the enthusiast in us. You can care about "the driving experience" and own a minivan at the same time. Seriously, it can be done bro.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dissss posted:

Which have about as much going for them in the way of driving enthusiasm as a modern US style minivan - which is to say considerably less than a more sanely sized one like you might find elsewhere in the world.

You are insane. There is not one minivan ever produced I would drive, wagons and sedans however still have awesome models coming out that can ferry your kids around and be awesome at the same time.

If you drive a minivan you literally hate cars.

leica posted:

You can care about "the driving experience" and own a minivan at the same time.
No, you really cant. Anyone who truly cares about a driving experience would explore the better options out there before settling on the minivan. Unless you have 8 children there really is no reason to own one. A wagon can do everything they can do and still feel like an automobile and not a box on wheels.

a creepy colon fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 20, 2011

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Motronic posted:

No one wants to hear they made a multiple-thousand dollar mistake or that they aren't as much of a driving enthusiast as they think the are while posting on a forum full of enthusiasts.
Jesus Christ, you're really coming across as an elitist prick right now.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 20, 2011

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Benefit of not owning a minivan is when some other parents want you to take a group of little shitlords to hockey practice or whatever you get to say "Sorry! All I have is this little tiny car!"

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Limastock posted:

No, you really cant. Anyone who truly cares about a driving experience would explore the better options out there before settling on the minivan.

Yes, because we can only own one car at a time :rolleyes:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Motronic posted:

You must be the target audience for Porsche's new ad campaign.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=wKENJ5sR42k

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Sir Tonk posted:

You must be the target audience for Porsche's new ad campaign.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=wKENJ5sR42k
That link doesn't work, but I'm guessing you're on your phone and meant to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-Lq3mHgNOI

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ugh. No one needs a bloody van just because you have a couple of kids. If a hatchback really won't handle all the primary-coloured plastic detritus you've suddenly decided you absolutely must carry everywhere, buy a Skoda Yeti:

And that Porsche ad is right on the money.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Ugh. No one needs a bloody van just because you have a couple of kids. If a hatchback really won't handle all the primary-coloured plastic detritus you've suddenly decided you absolutely must carry everywhere, buy a Skoda Yeti:

AI: Own a minivan? Get back to Sports Argument Stadium, you loving SOCCER MOM.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Successor to the Shelby SSC announced.

http://www.shelbysupercars.com/tuatara.php

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
You buy a minivan when your life is no longer about you.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

JaundiceDave posted:

http://www.shelbysupercars.com/tuatara.php

God drat. Less than 2700lbs with over 1300hp to just the rear wheels? Sounds like a hell of a way to die.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Are flying buttress aero bits and graduated dot vents (a la Bertone Mantide et al) going to become the new super-long headlight and chrome fender vent? I actually am ok with this.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

JaundiceDave posted:

What the? Where the hell am I going to put the child seat, diaper bag, stroller and dog in that thing?

<:mad:>

Seriously though, that looks loving awesome. It looks like Porsche won't be the only brand in the world with a seven speed manual either.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Motronic posted:

No, I'm not. They are horrible, and if you are willing to suspend your driving enthusiasm for that, great. That's my point.

I'm not willing to do that. My snotnoses sit in the back of a Rover or a Porsche because I won't drive a minivan. Amazingly enough, everything works out just absolutely fine. I don't actually need a schoolbus/living room combo with a steering wheel. I'd bet most people who drive them don't need that either. I's bet that most of us who are old enough to have children on here grew up being ferried around in a full sized sedan or wagon as the largest. That all worked out too.

Did you have a traumatic experience where someone tried to force you to buy a minivan at gunpoint or something?

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.
You can only like a minivan or a sports car. There are literally no other options at all when you're a REAL enthusiast.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008
As a driving enthusiast myself you can imagine the anger I felt when I couldn't turn off the traction control in my TransSport. Nearly slit the throat of one of my little cumguzzlinggoblinshitcunts in the back.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Would now be the right time to start posting pictures/links of people running 12's in their turbo minivans?

Or I guess those don't count towards the SUPERIOR DRIVING EXPERIENCE.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

el topo posted:

You buy a minivan when your life is no longer about you.

So when you stop being a 12 year old?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Last minivan post I promise (sorry for furthering the thread derail)

InitialDave posted:

Personally I'd rather have a *checks VW names to get the right one* Touran with the most powerful TSI but it occurs to me that it might not count as a minivan in the traditional sense.

Anyway these things

certainly do count by any definition and are surprisingly good to drive for their size and weight. I can't imagine paying to run one though.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

InitialDave posted:

That's a cool Skoda but... Good luck finding one in America!

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008
The utility of a minivan cannot be beat. I love cars but I rented a minivan once to haul a bunch of stuff to a nearby city and drat that thing was nice. Easy to drive, comfortable captain style chairs, tons of space. Way more useful to me than a pickup or SUV would be.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

wav3form posted:

The utility of a minivan cannot be beat. I love cars but I rented a minivan once to haul a bunch of stuff to a nearby city and drat that thing was nice. Easy to drive, comfortable captain style chairs, tons of space. Way more useful to me than a pickup or SUV would be.

And that's why you'll never be an enthuuuusiaaaaaaaaast

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

wav3form posted:

People can jibber jabber all they want but my fondest memories of driving will always involve hole shotting various performance cars at lights with a dodge caravan, doing vicious peg leg burnouts on the way to victory with that sick amount of torque. The best being an F360 who we beat and then kept going at it with us at lights until he finally beat us off the line.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Muffinpox posted:

People can jibber jabber all they want but my fondest memories of driving will always involve hole shotting various performance cars at lights with a dodge caravan, doing vicious peg leg burnouts on the way to victory with that sick amount of torque.

I submit to this argument. As long as they are treated this way.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
God minivans are so boring any any one who drives them cant have a soul or possibly enjoy driving ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPepaplIpO4

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Guys I have a confession to make. I haven't driven a car regularly since high school, didn't have one in college, haven't had one in med school, and probably won't have one in residency. I'll probably buy my first car when I'm 30, 31. Am I still allowed to hang out here? :ohdear:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Sadi posted:

God minivans are so boring any any one who drives them cant have a soul or possibly enjoy driving ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPepaplIpO4

God you don't know enthusiasts. If it has more than four seats standard your crotchdroppings need murdering because you're a fat American who only knows AUTOMOTIVE APPLIANCES and are why sports cars are so expensive. If only you bought an M3 they'd only cost $20k.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Guys I have a confession to make. I haven't driven a car regularly since high school, didn't have one in college, haven't had one in med school, and probably won't have one in residency. I'll probably buy my first car when I'm 30, 31. Am I still allowed to hang out here? :ohdear:

It doesn't sound to me like you care at all about the driving experience so you should probably get out, this is a forum of enthusiasts :colbert:

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.

Residency Evil posted:

Whatever you do don't get a minivan. They'll tear you to shreds and call you an orange county soccer mom.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

leica posted:

It doesn't sound to me like you care at all about the driving experience so you should probably get out, this is a forum of enthusiasts :colbert:

Vote yes on prop 91. Ban all non-cars.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Fella I used to work with owned three alfas & a citroen xsara picasso. Three alfas pretty much iron clad the enthusiast part but he mostly drove the minivan - to and from alfa breakers to pick up parts, so I'm confused.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Long as none of them had an autotragic he's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Pff, I'm never having kids so I can drive more cars. Deal with it, breeders :smugbert:.

Also, in addition to minivans nobody should have pickup trucks because nobody needs trucks and if you have one you hate to drive and if you need one because of where you live then obviously you should move.

In fact, I personally cut myself every time I get into one of my Porsches because if you're not willing to make sacrifices for driving you're not a real enthusiast.