Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I think it's pretty hard to argue that Barrett is smart. I mean he leaves his 5 year old daughter to bar tend alone while he's out committing terrorist acts.

He's probably the most 'down to earth' out of the crew, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Cid is clearly the best and anyone who disagrees is a chump. Or doesn't have a penis.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Adus posted:

I think it's pretty hard to argue that Barrett is smart. I mean he leaves his 5 year old daughter to bar tend alone while he's out committing terrorist acts.

He's probably the most 'down to earth' out of the crew, though.

To be fair, most 5 year olds in JRPG's are usually the ones out trying to save the world, having Daddy actually take care of it for once is pretty cool.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Beautiful Ninja posted:

To be fair, most 5 year olds in JRPG's are usually the ones out trying to save the world, having Daddy actually take care of it for once is pretty cool.

5 year olds have their parents die around that age to give a tragic past that never really gets touched on unless one of the parents happens to have faked their death to become a supervillian, but somehow still become fully functional mid teens without ever having another parental figure. Child services? Not in MY video games!

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Black Balloon posted:

FF4 DS is a good game if you're the kind of person who intends to just open a walkthrough to play alongside. Going through that game alone with no prior knowledge is stupid, especially with the way they limited runs on new game+.
It's perfectly beatable even without knowing how it works, it's very hard towards the end though since you'll very likely miss the best/most overpowered augments. As for limited runs on new game+, if you're into that kind of perfecting your character I'd be surprised if you don't run all JRPGs with a walkthrough open, almost all of them have obscure stuff you can easily miss.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Cait Sith has always been my favourite because there's nothing to not like about a cat with a megaphone riding a stuffed animal. Also every time I play the game cjxchxvfhfdhdh

eleven extra elephants fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 18, 2011

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

stuff

You should probably just get rid of that spoiler... it reveals far too much. The rules here are not to reveal anything about the story until after its appeared in the actual LP.

edit: good point.

Unacknowledged fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 18, 2011

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Unacknowledged posted:

You should probably just get rid of that spoiler... it reveals far too much. The rules here are not to reveal anything about the story until after its appeared in the actual LP.

alright, dunno why you quoted in its entirety then though.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I find that spoilered bit funny more than anything else, because he reappears at the most inapropriate moment possible

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Barret rules, Cid rules, Aeris rules, Yuffie, Tifa, and Vincent are pretty cool, Red and Cait Sith only show up in my party long enough for me to slap their ultimate weapons and final Limit Breaks on them for completion's sake.

Seriously, from the last time he's forced into your party to the final strike on the end boss of the game Cait Sith had a flashing Limit bar in my most recent run. He's such crap I couldn't be bothered to PHS him into my party for even one battle to use that Limit.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I always liked Cait Sith. But then again I love moogles. He was always my magic nuker.

Fake Plastic Ass
Oct 25, 2005
The ass speaks.

OatmealRaisin posted:

He's such crap I couldn't be bothered to PHS him into my party for even one battle to use that Limit.
It's because in the back of your mind, you know it's the joker.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

For some reason when I was little I could never beat the final boss without Caith Sith. Even though I didnt use him at all untill that point.

DirtyPatty
May 30, 2011
I always liked Red. I do agree that he doesn't really get much plot attention, and that gameplay wise he's not anything special. But having an animal as a protaganist was really cool for me. I used him quite a bit, if I remember right.

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines
Red XIII is useful for giving the characters a reason to go to/care about what the Guy Who Explains What's Really Going on says. Adding in the better-than-other-video-games gently caress You Dad story (largely helped by the score) and some indirect humor makes him not terrible or pointless just not as good.

CARRIERHASARRIVED
Aug 25, 2010

Am I the only one who thought that Red XIII was kind of the shallowest of characters? I mean, compared to just about everyone else, he feels like he's lacking in personality. I feel like they were going for like, the over-ambitious youngster guy, and yet he just ends up as this sort of stoic, bland guy. Which is a shame, because I thought he had some fine character design and backstory, but not the best writing.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Red has precisely two really engaging moments, but outside those his character is woefully underdeveloped. However, for an FF game, two moments is actually quite a lot of development, so other than Tifa and maybe Barret, he ends up being one of the characters with the most on-screen devoted development time.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I assume you're only discussing party members other than Cloud, because, well, I think he gets some time too ;)

Magicpokey
Feb 16, 2011
I always used Cid and Vincent in my first play through. But then again, I was 15 so don't take anything I did as any sort of useful advice.

On a slightly different note, how hard would it be to port FFVII to the iOS? I think an iPad port of the game would be awesome, even if it would be one he'll of a big download. How big is the psn version anyway?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Magicpokey posted:

I always used Cid and Vincent in my first play through. But then again, I was 15 so don't take anything I did as any sort of useful advice.

On a slightly different note, how hard would it be to port FFVII to the iOS? I think an iPad port of the game would be awesome, even if it would be one he'll of a big download. How big is the psn version anyway?

It'd be very difficult. Yes, the PSX is a known quantity at this point, but the system architecture between the A5 and the R3000A is wildly different and that means hard to do. Not impossible, but hard. Let me say this - it'd probably be easier to just ground-up build a new iOS game that happened to be FF7 than to port it. And that's not cheap.

And seeing as how Sony hasn't taken it to, say, the Playstation 3, which can run PS1 games with no trouble? Probably not going to try and port it to an incredibly different system architecture for a lot more money on a platform that isn't theirs where Apple would be taking a 30% cut.

My suggestion? If you want portable FFVII, buy a PSP. :)

If I remember correctly the PSN version of VII is about 1.3GB.

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 20, 2011

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Today I had a horrible nightmare that every copy of FF13 released on the Americas was cursed with a dead chick's soul and I had to find a way to get rid of the game without breaking it. But no one wanted it.

Psion posted:

It'd be very difficult. Yes, the PSX is a known quantity at this point, but the system architecture between the A5 and the R3000A is wildly different and that means hard to do. Not impossible, but hard. Let me say this - it'd probably be easier to just ground-up build a new iOS game that happened to be FF7 than to port it. And that's not cheap.

And seeing as how Sony hasn't taken it to, say, the Playstation 3, which can run PS1 games with no trouble? Probably not going to try and port it to an incredibly different system architecture for a lot more money on a platform that isn't theirs where Apple would be taking a 30% cut.

My suggestion? If you want portable FFVII, buy a PSP. :)

If I remember correctly the PSN version of VII is about 1.3GB.

Might be easier for them to just build in an emulator and emulate the whole thing.

Magicpokey
Feb 16, 2011
Agreed on the emulator thing. Is the iPad technically advanced enough to emulate psp hardware (easier to port the psn version)? If so, why hasn't Sony released a psn app for iOS? Seems like a cash cow to me.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Magicpokey posted:

Agreed on the emulator thing. Is the iPad technically advanced enough to emulate psp hardware (easier to port the psn version)? If so, why hasn't Sony released a psn app for iOS? Seems like a cash cow to me.

The answer is..."probably." The iPad uses a 1GHz dual core CPU. The PSP uses a 222MHz chip. Of course, the PSP also had some more specialized gaming hardware.

The iPad could almost certainly emulate the PSX though; I seem to recall Bleem! running on a 333 MHz PC back in the day.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Magicpokey posted:

a) Potential minefield drawing up contracts with a rival company, especially when it comes to distribution of games - Apple like everything to be done through them, from what I've heard
b) Pricing: people generally expect apps to be cheap and you can bet this one wouldn't be
c) Most important of all, piracy - it's a lot easier to pirate software than hardware, and you can bet that's essentially how they'd see it: "they aren't stealing software, they're stealing consoles!"

I wouldn't be surprised if someone did try making a PSP app, but I'd be amazed if it came from Sony themselves

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Elentor posted:

Today I had a horrible nightmare that every copy of FF13 released on the Americas was cursed with a dead chick's soul and I had to find a way to get rid of the game without breaking it. But no one wanted it.

Might be easier for them to just build in an emulator and emulate the whole thing.

That's how a lot of ports are done anyway. They're often pretty lousy done that way though.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

ulmont posted:

The answer is..."probably." The iPad uses a 1GHz dual core CPU. The PSP uses a 222MHz chip.

333, actually. Early PSP-1000s were soft-underclocked to 222 for battery life concerns. I'm pretty sure they all run at 333 now or you can easily fix the clock if you want. The other thing you didn't mention is it's an R4000 chip in the same family as the PSX's R3000. That helps a lot when trying to do emulation.

e: "However, with firmware update 3.50 on May 31, 2007, Sony removed this limit and allowed new games to run at a full 333 MHz.[132]"

thanks wikipedia

ulmont posted:

The iPad could almost certainly emulate the PSX though; I seem to recall Bleem! running on a 333 MHz PC back in the day.

I wouldn't say "almost certainly" just based on a CPU clockspeed comparison. The entire rest of the system architecture of the A5 is very different from the R3000 and the x86 CPU Bleem was running on. While I agree it's probably technically possible, consider a Super Nintendo, and emulating a Super Nintendo took - for the really advanced games - a Pentium 233. That's something like sixty-five times the raw clock cycles of a SNES CPU. PS2 emulators basically don't run well without a quad-core and a monstrous video card, when in raw system terms my phone is more powerful than a PS2. Software emulation is really weird sometimes about resources, because system architecture matters, a lot, and even for the tiniest drat things:

Consider the 360, which used to have the CPU and GPU on separate dies. The current model does not - and that means data is transferred between them a microscopic amount of time faster. This actually breaks some 360 games, so they had to add circuits specifically to slow down transfer of data between CPU and GPU so the timing would be identical on all models. A software emulator has to account for that, too. It's ridiculous anything gets emulated, really.

The best solution, which isn't an option for the iPad obviously, is to reuse hardware if you can. Hardware emulation is a breeze, comparatively speaking. I believe the PS2 used the PS1 CPU as an I/O controller or something, so when you put a PS1 game in it just executed your code on a PS1 processor, but when you played PS2 games it got retasked to do something else. But as we saw in the early models of PS3, sometimes that gets expensive, so there are always tradeoffs.

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 20, 2011

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Psion posted:

I wouldn't say "almost certainly" just based on a CPU clockspeed comparison. The entire rest of the system architecture of the A5 is very different from the R3000 and the x86 CPU Bleem was running on. While I agree it's probably technically possible, consider a Super Nintendo, and emulating a Super Nintendo took - for the really advanced games - a Pentium 233.

Oh, yeah. A lot of it has to do with the integrity of the emulator, but you couldn't even run high-end PS1 games at normal FPS on early dualcores with 256MB gpus. I might trust an iPad to emulate, say, Crash Bandicoot pretty smoothly, but I wouldn't count on it to deliver on FF8.

CARRIERHASARRIVED
Aug 25, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Oh, yeah. A lot of it has to do with the integrity of the emulator, but you couldn't even run high-end PS1 games at normal FPS on early dualcores with 256MB gpus. I might trust an iPad to emulate, say, Crash Bandicoot pretty smoothly, but I wouldn't count on it to deliver on FF8.

And 'smoothly' doesn't guarantee graphical integrity. Was it this thread that someone posted the link to a blog post about integrity vs. speed and how focusing on just speed can completely gently caress up some games? If not, it was basically about how in some games (like SNES games) where focusing on just speedy and smooth emulation doesn't safeguard against graphical glitches and can sometimes even cause them, like say in a Kirby game which has a transparent tree sprite layer due to rapid flickering of the leaves sprite (I think) can end up as solid block of leaves if the emulator can't run it properly. And on a PS1 game, if the emulator lacks in integrity, it can cause some seriously bad graphical glitches, like text boxes appearing without text or characters and enemies not rendering properly.

FF7: Elentor, I know people have been posting preferred parties, but are you going to play with your parties at the whim of goons (:gonk:) or are you going to play who you want to? And you're going to do as many side quests as you can, right? If so I pity you for doing Fort Condor cause that poo poo is ridiculous.

CARRIERHASARRIVED fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 20, 2011

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Are magic hammer, big guard, and bad breath gonna trivialize the rest of the game for me? I'm up to mid disc 2 and they sure have so far

I dunno the enemy skills seem to have been "balanced" by obscurity or difficulty of getting them. Without a guide the only way you'd see magic hammer or big guard is by manipulating basically every enemy (and a failed roll looks exactly the same as trying it on something invulnerable to it) and casting all their poo poo on yourself.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

CmdtCarpenter posted:

And you're going to do as many side quests as you can, right? If so I pity you for doing Fort Condor cause that poo poo is ridiculous.

My favourite part of that is running back to it TWICE in the space of maybe 20 seconds of actual gameplay (having to get there with just Cloud isn't that big a deal at least).

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

swamp waste posted:

Are magic hammer, big guard, and bad breath gonna trivialize the rest of the game for me? I'm up to mid disc 2 and they sure have so far

I dunno the enemy skills seem to have been "balanced" by obscurity or difficulty of getting them. Without a guide the only way you'd see magic hammer or big guard is by manipulating basically every enemy (and a failed roll looks exactly the same as trying it on something invulnerable to it) and casting all their poo poo on yourself.

Yup, probably. If it's any consolation, a lot of things trivialize the rest of the game :v:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

swamp waste posted:

It's really no worse than Blue Magic in almost any other FF game- there are almost always healing/support spells that require the enemy to be controlled or confused. But yeah, the Enemy Skill materia is ridiculously versatile and powerful if you know where to get the skills, and Magic Hammer is virtually required to run a magic-focused character. Actually, Magic Hammer is probably one of the most overpowered abilities in the entire game, due to the hilariously small MP pool most enemies/bosses have.

CARRIERHASARRIVED
Aug 25, 2010

swamp waste posted:

Yes, yes, and yes. I think about the only other one you might want is White Wind, and maybe ????, but if you're on disc 2, don't worry, cause disc 3 is basically just endgame and a couple of bonus things (That's not a terrible spoiler, is it?)

Also I'm pretty sure there is a different message for unable to manipulate and a failed manipulate. But then again you are playing the game right now and I last played it a few months ago.

Dragonatrix posted:

My favourite part of that is running back to it TWICE in the space of maybe 20 seconds of actual gameplay (having to get there with just Cloud isn't that big a deal at least).

At least you have an infinite amount of actual time to get there as long as you don't advance the plot at all. That's about the only positive.

fake edit: oh gently caress I just remembered that if you fail to defend properly and have to fight one monster cause they get to you, you DON'T GET THE REWARD gently caress THAT poo poo.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

CmdtCarpenter posted:

At least you have an infinite amount of actual time to get there as long as you don't advance the plot at all. That's about the only positive.

fake edit: oh gently caress I just remembered that if you fail to defend properly and have to fight one monster cause they get to you, you DON'T GET THE REWARD gently caress THAT poo poo.

What? I remember always just saying "gently caress it" and getting it anyway.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

George posted:

Yeah, it's less of a failure than an alternative success.

And way more tolerable than the usual way.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

swamp waste posted:

You seem to have forgotten White Wind, but essentially yes.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

swamp waste posted:

Godamn I wish I knew about Big Guard as a kid. My late game boss strategy was always one person casting haste-all, one casting wall-all, and one casting regen-all.

Then I'd do the three bahamuts :c00l:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

CmdtCarpenter posted:

I'm pretty sure there is a different message for unable to manipulate and a failed manipulate. But then again you are playing the game right now and I last played it a few months ago.

There is a slight difference, the little "Miss" icon will only come up for one of those, not the other.

CARRIERHASARRIVED
Aug 25, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, it's less of a failure than an alternative success.

And way more tolerable than the usual way.

George posted:

Eh what? I could swear you didn't get anything. Or maybe you got something slightly worse. Well I suppose some research is in order. Or just wait for Elentor to get there.

edit: VVVVVVV yeah, the non-final rewards are the ones I was thinking about.

CARRIERHASARRIVED fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

CmdtCarpenter posted:

Eh what? I could swear you didn't get anything. Or maybe you got something slightly worse. Well I suppose some research is in order. Or just wait for Elentor to get there.

I think you still get the plot-related reward as long as you don't lose. Dunno about the intermediary rewards.

• Locked thread