Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I live with my father in law and he eats snacks and meals all day and night. He'll eat whatever's in there, even if it has my name on it sometimes. All the stuff he's been eating is the random snacks we bought for me so I can have variety since I'm more picky now that I'm pregnant. Plus I need to eat a thousand times a day.

I rage so hard when I go to eat something that's not there. My husband won't say anything about it because we don't pay rent and sometimes his dad even pays for us to go shopping. :( I've cried too much over food since becoming pregnant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Octagon
Aug 12, 2008

Ride or Die Bitch, Esq.

fosborb posted:

We were planning an IKEA run next week in Minneapolis for some crib hunting but from what I can tell they've pulled all of their cribs from the US as of last week or so. Anyone hear anything about this? Know of any other good baby stores in the area?

We'd also picked out an Ikea crib, which has since mysteriously disappeared from the website. I emailed them about it, and they said they pulled all the cribs off the shelves to ensure compliance with the new crib safety regulations that were put into place at the end of June. They don't have a timeframe for re-stocking. I think we might just wait it out - the crib we wanted had really good safety ratings before the new guidelines, and we have a co-sleeper we'll be using for the first few months anyway. Good luck!

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.
I first was thinking that I haven't experienced any pregnancy rage but I have a couple of times. The best was when I caught my husband using our nice bathroom towels in the kitchen again. I was going to bite my tongue but he insisted that I communicate with him, so I ended up flipping out on him.

There was another memorable incident where my computer was acting weird and I flipped out on it. My husband had to physically drag me away before I broke something. We ended up laughing about that.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004
I'm normally a bit of a ragey person, but being pregnant has made me more pleasant and laid back than I've been in years. I assume it's the hormones, but I hope it lasts.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
Thanks all. I feel better knowing its not just me. I'm pretty good at keeping a lid on it, but work seems to be a trigger and it got to a point last week where I literally had to get up, walk out of the office, get in my car and drive away. When I came back the people who know me best commented that they have never seen such a murderous look in my eye in the almost six years that they've known me. The husband now asks me if I'm about to go Bruce Banner on people when I text him a paragraph of expletives. Maybe I'll try keeping some herbal tea at work and taking some time off to regroup.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Fire In The Disco posted:

It's generally believed by boob gurus that babies won't self-wean before 18-24 months. Have you looked at the Kellymom page on nursing strikes? I'm not 100% sure it applies in A's case, but it never hurts to look. :)

He had a nursing strike at 8 months that he got over. This is more gradual, so I don't think that's what it is. He still takes one to two nursings a day like I said. I'm curious though how they define weaning as opposed to a nursing strike. I know of many babies (this is anecdotal) that lost interest between a year and 18 months. It just seems like a circular definition is what I'm trying to say I guess, if everything below the age of 18 months is defined as a nursing strike regardless :confused:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Dr. Octagon posted:

We'd also picked out an Ikea crib, which has since mysteriously disappeared from the website. I emailed them about it, and they said they pulled all the cribs off the shelves to ensure compliance with the new crib safety regulations that were put into place at the end of June. They don't have a timeframe for re-stocking. I think we might just wait it out - the crib we wanted had really good safety ratings before the new guidelines, and we have a co-sleeper we'll be using for the first few months anyway. Good luck!

Thanks for the info! Disappointing though... we kind of excessively like to check things out before we buy them and seeing the crib in person is part of that. Maybe we'll find time later in the year to visit again or just suck it up and by online.

On Target, etc. for other options. Sorry, that was my vague sentence construction while phone postin. We were looking for some gently caress off expensive boutique specialty rich baby only store to ogle at while we were in a moderately large city... Comedy answer: Target it is!

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004
Wow, I feel horrible. I stopped breastfeeding at six weeks. With the older kids' schedules and activities, not to mention all the regular chores and such, I couldn't nurse him. I don't feel comfortable nursing in public and whenever I've been pumping I never got enough to fill him for one feeding. I talked to the pediatrician and he was thrilled I even went for 6 weeks. Kudos to all the women who go for longer.

Now for questions. Those of you who use/d moby wraps, how long would you wear baby and was it hard to get him used to not being held when he outgrew it? I bought one today and it is a godsend. How hot do they get? I'm in Texas where we get very, very hot. Will I get super sweaty if I wear it outside?

Also, I have not had a period. I stopped breastfeeding Friday and have yet to get it. I had assumed I would get it over the weekend, but nothing. How long until your periods came back?

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Janelle posted:

Now for questions. Those of you who use/d moby wraps, how long would you wear baby and was it hard to get him used to not being held when he outgrew it? I bought one today and it is a godsend. How hot do they get? I'm in Texas where we get very, very hot. Will I get super sweaty if I wear it outside?

I used a similar wrap from my baby was newborn and until he was 3-4 months when I switched to a woven. I'd wear him for as long as he wanted, the longest stretches were 3 hours, a couple of times 4. It wasn't hard at all to get him used to not being held, it happened gradually as he got older that he wanted to be on the floor more :) I live in a much cooler climate so I can't say anything about heat, but I think the mobys are pretty thick comparatively. I think Fire in the Disco used a gauze wrap which is supposed to be cooler.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Janelle posted:

I have one, but I only used it during the winter and spring here in Southern California. We got really warm in our Moby, so we switched to a sling once the weather started heating up. I also use an Ergo.

I really didn't use the Moby as much as I thought I would.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Janelle posted:

Wow, I feel horrible. I stopped breastfeeding at six weeks. With the older kids' schedules and activities, not to mention all the regular chores and such, I couldn't nurse him. I don't feel comfortable nursing in public and whenever I've been pumping I never got enough to fill him for one feeding. I talked to the pediatrician and he was thrilled I even went for 6 weeks. Kudos to all the women who go for longer.

Also, I have not had a period. I stopped breastfeeding Friday and have yet to get it. I had assumed I would get it over the weekend, but nothing. How long until your periods came back?

I've been lurking around the forums at TheBabyWearer.com, and there are some warm-weather wraps I've been looking at getting for my best friend down in Texas. Some of the ladies recommend the cotton gauze wraps for summer and warm climates, like the Bali Baby Breeze - http://www.wrapsodybaby.com/shop/breeze.php

starshine
Nov 26, 2007

Janelle posted:

I haven't used a moby, but I have a cotton gauze wrap that's pretty breathable. I bought from this Etsy seller which aren't as patterned as the ones MoCookies linked, but are a good bit cheaper. The other benefit is that you can wear your kid all the way up to toddler age in a cotton gauze wrap because it doesn't stretch. I've worn Julia in it several times a week since she was 2 days old and it's in the same shape as when it was new. :shobon:

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.
Are ginger tea and ginger chews actually that good for morning sickness? I've tried saltines and carbonated water, but they're not helping a lot.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.

car dance posted:

Are ginger tea and ginger chews actually that good for morning sickness? I've tried saltines and carbonated water, but they're not helping a lot.

I stopped drinking ginger tea because I was throwing it up. Medicine (Zofran) is the only thing that has made the nausea stop and also figuring out what my triggers are.

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!

car dance posted:

I tried ginger and the taste made me want to gag more than the morning sickness. The thing that helped most was mint, but I had a pretty mild case of it.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
My arms have been falling asleep and I'm only at 9 weeks. Will this get worse? I can't seem to find any position that will fix the problem. Between that and having to pee 3 times a night, I end up having to stay in bed for like 10 hours or more just to feel rested.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Awesome Kristin posted:

My arms have been falling asleep and I'm only at 9 weeks. Will this get worse? I can't seem to find any position that will fix the problem. Between that and having to pee 3 times a night, I end up having to stay in bed for like 10 hours or more just to feel rested.

I had a lot of circulation issues during my pregnancy, and they never really let up. I eventually had to sleep propped up in the corner of the couch to keep my limbs from falling asleep, keep the heartburn in check, reduce my congestion, etc. I missed my bed, but it was the most restful sleep I got during the second half of my pregnancy.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

car dance posted:

I tried crystallized ginger and loved it for about 3 days before the strong taste made me want to retch. I've heard powdered ginger capsules work, and you wouldn't have to taste those!

Awesome Kristin posted:

Try getting a wrist brace; that helped me!

Idonie
Jun 5, 2011

car dance posted:

I drank Reed's Ginger Beer (which is not actually beer, it's soda) and it helped for me; I've always found carbonated beverages soothing when my stomach was upset, and the combination of that & ginger did the trick. But while I was nauseous 24/7 I didn't actually vomit very often, so YMMV.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

VorpalBunny posted:

I had a lot of circulation issues during my pregnancy, and they never really let up. I eventually had to sleep propped up in the corner of the couch to keep my limbs from falling asleep, keep the heartburn in check, reduce my congestion, etc. I missed my bed, but it was the most restful sleep I got during the second half of my pregnancy.

Ooooo I might try something like that. Our bed is against the wall so maybe I'll switch sides with my husband and stack some pillows in the corner.

Dr. Octagon
Aug 12, 2008

Ride or Die Bitch, Esq.
So I've been following this "Baby Project" thing that NPR has been doing. Last week, this lady posted a picture of her swollen, pregnant feet that made me gasp. (With all the nausea talk, I didn't want to just slap that picture up in the thread.)

She just had her baby, so she was close to the end... but still. Please, someone tell me that this won't happen to my feet. This is not normal, right? If I looked down and saw that, I would be horrified.

Kubricize
Apr 29, 2010

Dr. Octagon posted:

So I've been following this "Baby Project" thing that NPR has been doing. Last week, this lady posted a picture of her swollen, pregnant feet that made me gasp. (With all the nausea talk, I didn't want to just slap that picture up in the thread.)

She just had her baby, so she was close to the end... but still. Please, someone tell me that this won't happen to my feet. This is not normal, right? If I looked down and saw that, I would be horrified.

No that is not even close to normal.

What the gently caress, did she like have like super water retention or whatever the gently caress? My feet didn't swell at all, and I routinely walked around in 40+ degree weather for the summer months. To avoid the feet swelling, as stupid as it sounds, drink lots of fluid, like 2 liters or more per day.

SavoyMarionette
May 23, 2007
I speak only the truth.
My feet weren't quite that bad, but they were definitely swollen :(

This was after I delivered though, I had a c-section and I guess they pushed a bunch of fluids through me for some reason..? That's what the nurses said caused it, anyway. I was afraid my feet would never look the same but it only lasted about a week before they went back to being totally normal. Keeping my feet elevated when I could helped.

SavoyMarionette fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 21, 2011

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Dr. Octagon posted:

I didn't realize how bad my feet were swollen because it was a gradual change. It never got that bad, but it does happen to a lot of folks. And it went away within a day or so of delivery.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
My feet were never swollen anywhere near that at all. That's disgusting.

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

I drank plenty of water and didn't swell up at all [twice].

Also, I found ginger chews or real ginger ale [nonalcoholic of course] helpful, but my morning sickness wasn't too bad [threw up a few times per week, felt sick most of the time].

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
I tried everything natural under the sun for my round the clock nausea and the only thing that has helped is Zofran. Its so magical that I'm thinking of building a shrine for it in my house.

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.
Yeah, I am nauseated all the time but I never feel close to puking. It makes it really difficult for me to eat/focus/do work or activities, so I need something that can make it lessen. Thanks for all the help. 7 Up has been helping a little, but I'm going to try some ginger products. I also had some success this afternoon with eating a ton of altoids (I guess the mint cleared up other scents from going into my nose). I managed to eat dinner tonight and eat until I was full, which is something that hasn't happened in a while.

Idonie
Jun 5, 2011

car dance posted:

Yeah, I am nauseated all the time but I never feel close to puking. It makes it really difficult for me to eat/focus/do work or activities, so I need something that can make it lessen. Thanks for all the help. 7 Up has been helping a little, but I'm going to try some ginger products. I also had some success this afternoon with eating a ton of altoids (I guess the mint cleared up other scents from going into my nose). I managed to eat dinner tonight and eat until I was full, which is something that hasn't happened in a while.

I'm sure you've heard this before, but crackers by the bed were a huge win for me. It was almost impossible to make myself eat them because I felt so lovely, but when I went ahead and did it I usually felt better immediately. A couple of times they made me vomit, but honestly, I felt *so much better* post-vomiting that it was kind of a win.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Crackers weren't good for me, but nuts by the bed were. A bit of protein really helped my nausea.

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!

Dr. Octagon posted:

My feet got that bad. Even the people at the hospital were amazed. I could barely wear men's flipflops. Everything else was normal though - no pre-eclampsia or anything. I drank a lot of water, tried elevating my feet, but nothing helped. I was still able to walk a mile a day though. I guess it didn't bother me that much because I was already huge everywhere else it felt like.

I'm at the same point or later in my second pregnancy at the same time of the year as before, and I can still wear shoes. Only near the end of the day do my feet swell a little. The only real differences I've noticed between this time and last are that I had a little morning sickness this time, and my feet aren't the size of hams.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
Oh God, I'm worried about foot swelling. I'm at 25 weeks and don't have any yet. But I'll be the maid of honor in a wedding when I'm at 32 weeks, and my dress is knee-length, so feet will be visible. I would love it if any horrible foot swelling could at least hold off until after that, please, so I don't look like a freak. :ohdear:

Does it generally happen pretty late in the pregnancy, or could it strike at any time?

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

A clock isn't time; it's just numbers and springs. Pay it no mind.
My feet/ankles started swelling around 30 weeks onward. It would start happening in the evenings after work, and be fine after I woke up in the morning, but as time went on it just got more prolonged.

They got pretty bad, but not as bad as that picture. It didn't go away right after delivering, took more like two weeks (I was offered some pills to help with this swelling after I delivered). Pre-delivery, keeping my feet up helped. I was really close to pre-eclampsia though, and was put on bed rest the last two weeks of my pregnancy.

brambling lass fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 21, 2011

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I never had visible swelling until the week before I delivered (38 weeks). My feet DID go up a size though, but went back down when P was a month old. And yeah that picture is NOT normal at all. Just drink plenty of water and keep your feet elevated when you're resting and it should be fine.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

car dance posted:

You might experiment with cold foods. I found that a Popsicle was the perfect thing for nausea relief. I got a giant box from Costco and it saved my sanity. Nothing else, besides eating protein frequently, ever seemed to help.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
My husband and I have been discussing after-birth care. It was going to be my husband and me for the first two weeks, then my mother for a week, and my MIL for a week. This seemed perfect, since I have to go back to class two weeks after birth and leaving a two-week-old with a sitter seems wrong.

However, my MIL doesn't want to come help. She feels too old to care for a newborn. Okay, I appreciate her being upfront with her feelings. But then my husband tells me his entire family wants to come for part of the time his mother was scheduled for instead. My husband will have exhausted his vacation time, so it would just be me w/his family, and the baby, and school.

To me, this says "Bad Idea" in flashing red lights with sirens. Am I being unreasonable? My husband is willing to back me, but he seems to think I'm a bit nuts.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I think that overall it really depends on your personality, but I would say that if it's already setting off alarms for you, go with your gut. I was definitely the kind of new mom who wanted space alone with the baby and didn't want others around constantly. I'm also the kind of person who really needs alone time in general to recharge, so it made sense to me that I wanted space after Cecilia came. I would have felt very overwhelmed with a lot of people around all the time.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Brennanite posted:

My husband and I have been discussing after-birth care. It was going to be my husband and me for the first two weeks, then my mother for a week, and my MIL for a week. This seemed perfect, since I have to go back to class two weeks after birth and leaving a two-week-old with a sitter seems wrong.

However, my MIL doesn't want to come help. She feels too old to care for a newborn. Okay, I appreciate her being upfront with her feelings. But then my husband tells me his entire family wants to come for part of the time his mother was scheduled for instead. My husband will have exhausted his vacation time, so it would just be me w/his family, and the baby, and school.

To me, this says "Bad Idea" in flashing red lights with sirens. Am I being unreasonable? My husband is willing to back me, but he seems to think I'm a bit nuts.

I've been doing a lot of hemming and hawing over my own after-birth care plans. It's hard to know what I'm going to want, but my goal is to keep things simple: keep myself, the baby, and our pets fed + get as much sleep as is possible under the circumstances.

I'm with you - the whole family of in-laws descending on your house screams "Bad Idea" to me too. I don't see how you won't end up completely exhausted from feeding the baby at night, taking care of the baby during the day, and then fitting in school somehow too, AND adjusting your normal routines to deal with an influx of visitors. Some families are more considerate than other, but I'm left wondering if they're going to be helpful and useful vs. demanding and disruptive to the new living-with-a-baby lifestyle.

Also (and #1 on my priority list) are you going to be able to nap at all with all those people in the house? I know I wouldn't, and I would be cranky as hell about it. I've discussed with my post-baby visitors that it would be great if they would stay nearby but elsewhere, and they would be more than welcome to visit/help/clean during the day. I feel kind of bad about requiring that they spend the money for a hotel/B&B when they (my mom & her husband, and MIL & FIL) just want to come help and celebrate the baby, but I think it'll be best for everybody's sleep needs. I turn into a total ogre when sleep deprived, so I have to say, I'm really not looking forward to turning into an angry zombie from breastfeeding every 2-3 hours for weeks and weeks.

Fistgrrl
Dec 30, 2000

Queen of Cuddlenaps

fosborb posted:

Thanks for the info! Disappointing though... we kind of excessively like to check things out before we buy them and seeing the crib in person is part of that. Maybe we'll find time later in the year to visit again or just suck it up and by online.

On Target, etc. for other options. Sorry, that was my vague sentence construction while phone postin. We were looking for some gently caress off expensive boutique specialty rich baby only store to ogle at while we were in a moderately large city... Comedy answer: Target it is!

The Ikea mattresses fit weird and I don't think it's possible to order from them online. Albeebaby.com is a great site to get a bargain for cribs (and other high ticket items). Free shipping, no tax, cheaper than most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Fistgrrl posted:

The Ikea mattresses fit weird and I don't think it's possible to order from them online. Albeebaby.com is a great site to get a bargain for cribs (and other high ticket items). Free shipping, no tax, cheaper than most.

Thanks, we'll have to check them out.

We went to Ikea anyway. The cribs are still pulled though the display models were up so we could get a look at them. Turns out they're also in the middle of changing out inventory for the year so half of everything else is sold out too. Awesome.

We ended up going to Peapods in St Paul for our gently caress off expensive store. It's all natural toys and other hippie fun. $800 for a solid maple crib, $90 for a marble track set made out of wood, etc. Fun store to browse though if anyone is in the area.