Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Zwille posted:

What do you mean by that?

When you're doing the gesture to go back/forward in Safari, you can hold your finger part way through the gesture and the page you're "sliding" away stops and leaves the one behind it visible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Why does the App Store actually quit when you press the close button?

That seems so crazy considering it's the only place to see the download info since the icon they place on the Dock just says "OSX Lion - Downloading..."

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
How does upgrading on top of Snow Leopard handle your old Time Machine backups?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Here, this is what I mean:

Oops that was huge, link to full-size in case the timg expander thing isn't working.

lol timg gets autocorrected to "time", now we'll never escape autocorrect typos.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 20, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really glad I made a new thread for Lion. In a couple years we can go back to the early pages and laugh at what we thought was novel, just like I did yesterday while going through the parts of the old OS X thread which corresponded to the release of Leopard.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

^^^^ we'll see whether we're still using natural scrolling. :v:

Space Racist posted:

I think it works fine. I didn't have to start over again after upgrading, but I did try to be crafty and pull the "Install Lion" app out of my backup and got a "data could not be read or written" error.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Whoa, playing an album from the iTunes Album Art screensaver is really cool.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Captain Charisma posted:

Except when it won't let you click the stupid exit button to get out of the screensaver. :argh:

(Seriously, argh should not get autocorrect to arch, stop it Mac)

Mr. wrsxprt, what's the one feature from that old thread that you most laughed at as being OH NEAT at the time?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Mo0 posted:

Here, this is what I mean:

Oops that was huge, link to full-size in case the timg expander thing isn't working.

lol timg gets autocorrected to "time", now we'll never escape autocorrect typos.

HOLY FUCKBALLS. I used to do three finger swipes for that (sans the preview of course) and thought I'd have to get used to hitting the button up top again to go back and then you show me this gem. This rules. As does the three finger dictionary and being able to edit the system preferences and everything else.

I think I might have to get a Magic Trackpad for my iMac now and mothball the Magic Mouse. I've just tried Lion on my Air (don't have access to the iMac right now) and can't imagine using OSX any other way anymore. How's the experience for the Magic Mouse users out there so far? Gestures must be a bitch.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Captain Charisma posted:

I had no idea that was there, and after turning it on I agree, it's pretty drat cool.

The only issue I'm having right now is trying to see if there's a way to get Quicktime to go full screen only on a secondary monitor (like how it could on Snow Leopard), rather than use the Lion Full screen mode function. Anyone know if you can change that?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

carry on then posted:

I think it works fine. I didn't have to start over again after upgrading, but I did try to be crafty and pull the "Install Lion" app out of my backup and got a "data could not be read or written" error.

That's cool. The more I think about it the more I don't want to deal with wiping and reinstalling everything, especially since I'm not sure if I've used up my licenses for Office 2008.

Also, for anyone still on Snow Leopard, Safari 5.1 and iTunes 10.4 are out.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Homebrew vs Fink vs MacPorts

Which one do you guys prefer and why?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Space Racist posted:

Also, for anyone still on Snow Leopard, Safari 5.1 and iTunes 10.4 are out.

Does iTunes 10.4 mess with the UI the way it did on Lion, or is it just behind-the-scenes updates back in SL land?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Ziir posted:

Homebrew vs Fink vs MacPorts

Which one do you guys prefer and why?
Homebrew. Less space, updates more frequently, low maintenance.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mo0 posted:

Does iTunes 10.4 mess with the UI the way it did on Lion, or is it just behind-the-scenes updates back in SL land?
I can't speak for 10.4, but I know 10.5 tweaks the UI again slightly.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
How do you turn off the "hold key to get symbols" thing that was adopted from iOS?

This is EXTREMELY important, as now I have mere milliseconds shaved off my life now that I have to type each 'o" individually whenever I need to type nooooooooooooooo

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Oh, neat, Software Update locked up!

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Mo0 posted:

10.4 goes back to the horizontal red/yellow/green button configuration, otherwise from what I can tell it still looks the same.

Also still 32-bit. 64-bit cocoa is apparently Lion-only.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Space Racist posted:

As long as you aren't erasing the disk to which you're installing, the history for that disk will be unbroken.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

carry on then posted:

Please file a bug and include the archive generated by the tmdiagnose tool.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Captain Charisma posted:

How do you turn off the "hold key to get symbols" thing that was adopted from iOS?

This is EXTREMELY important, as now I have mere milliseconds shaved off my life now that I have to type each 'o" individually whenever I need to type nooooooooooooooo
You could add a text substitution in Language & Text preferences to replace "ooo" with "ooooooooo". I haven't found a way to disable the unicode character substitution pop-up.

ericIII
Apr 8, 2001
I code for food.

Captain Charisma posted:

In Terminal, run:
code:
defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool NO
You might have to restart any open apps.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Actually now that I've looked more closely, the iTunes 10.4 UI in Snow Leopard is much more tweaked beyond just rearranging the close/minimize/maximize buttons. It's pretty subtle but a bit more pleasing, I think. Too bad there apparently isn't much in the way of under-the-hood tweaks, but that's alright.

e: scrolling through the library seems smoother than I remember, but that could just be me.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

mistermojo posted:

Why does the App Store actually quit when you press the close button?

That seems so crazy considering it's the only place to see the download info since the icon they place on the Dock just says "OSX Lion - Downloading..."

There should be a progress bar displayed under the icon.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Molten Llama posted:

There should be a progress bar displayed under the icon.

Yeah but it's garbage for a file this size. The one on the Downloads page is much better.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mikey-San posted:

Please file a bug and include the archive generated by the tmdiagnose tool.

Interesting, I tried it again and it worked fine. I'll make sure to do this if I ever see the problem again though.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Another upgrade question: one of the reviews I read (not sure which, think it was Anand's) mentioned that Lion doesn't include many of the older OS X wallpapers in its install package. If you're upgrading from Snow Leopard, does it keep the old wallpapers or erase them? I still like going back to the old blue ones for nostalgia's sake now and then.

royalejest
Oct 31, 2006

Clapton is God.
So if I download Lion from the MAS, I get 5 licenses per the MAS rules.

If I buy a new computer that comes with Lion, do I get 4 licenses for my old computers?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

royalejest posted:

So if I download Lion from the MAS, I get 5 licenses per the MAS rules.

If I buy a new computer that comes with Lion, do I get 4 licenses for my old computers?
The new computer doesn't count. Not that it matters because Apple doesn't care about how many computers you have.

quote:

Can I use apps from the Mac App Store on more than one computer?

Apps from the Mac App Store may be used on any Macs that you own or control for your personal use.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Is there anything like InsomniaX for lion yet? I miss that functionality.
Also, I can't get back my three finger gestures for forward/backward in chrome or safari. Anything I'm missing?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Use two fingers, and it only works in Safari for now.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
For simplicity, since it's coming up every page:

When you buy Lion, you can use it and up to two virtual Lions per computer, on every computer you own, forever and ever, amen.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

wolffenstein posted:

Use two fingers, and it only works in Safari for now.

thanks, guess i'll be making the switch to safari. Now I just need insomniax

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Unfortunately, it looks like Lion breaks three-finger scrolling in Reeder. Aside from that, I'm loving the new UI changes.

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!

grvm posted:

Also, I can't get back my three finger gestures for forward/backward in chrome or safari. Anything I'm missing?
If you set Swipe between pages to "Swipe with two or three fingers" in the Trackpad setting, then 3-finger swipes should work in Chrome.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Oh god, one new feature in Safari 5.1 that I love: when opening a link in a new tab, the new tab opens directly adjacent to the originating tab, instead of being placed all the way at the end. E.g., if I have five tabs open, browsing SA in the leftmost tab, any links I open will now be in the second tab position just to the right of the SA tab, instead of all the way at the right of the fifth open tab. It's a little thing but it makes browsing the forums much more manageable.

Bret Hart
Nov 28, 2010

Why is the double arrow messed up at the top here?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Oh hey, Perian doesn't work in Lion, apparently.

Hopefully that gets fixed soon, I do prefer QuickTime over the other players.

Hey, did click+dragging a really large group of files always have a little transition from dragging the entire grid of them around to a compact list with a badge indicating the number of files you're dragging? That's neat.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 21, 2011

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
So would y'all recommend switching back to Safari from Chrome? I initially switched because it felt much snappier, and I'm one of those weirdos that prefers the Omnibox. Can I change the Address Bar behavior in Safari? It's not a dealbreaker, but it would take some getting used to.

As long as I can have 1Password and Evernote plugins, that should be enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Blah, apparently Lion uses AFP 2 or something, and my NAS uses a version that's not compatible. No Time Machine or access to shares for me until I get a software update...weak sauce.