Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Mo0 posted:

Oh hey, Perian doesn't work in Lion, apparently.

Hopefully that gets fixed soon, I do prefer QuickTime over the other players.

It works for me. Sometimes it hangs when opening a file, but it installs and plays everything fine over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!
So launchpad is mostly worthless until they allow me to remove non "appstore" apps from it. I don't enjoy having like dozens of random little video codec programs and windows stuff from parallels in there.

It is forcing me to have some 10 pages of random apps :(

VVVthe touch gestures makes it fast to get to it, but with a bunch of poo poo I don't want to ever access I feel hindered using it or trying to find anything.VVV

duros fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 21, 2011

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Speaking of Launchpad, what is the point of it if you can't startup with it? I always thought it would replace the desktop. How is it like iOS if you have to manually launch it first?

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

duros posted:

So launchpad is mostly worthless until they allow me to remove non "appstore" apps from it. I don't enjoy having like dozens of random little video codec programs and windows stuff from parallels in there.

It is forcing me to have some 10 pages of random apps :(

You can put them into folders by dragging one on top of another, that'll reduce your page count.

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!

chimz posted:

You can put them into folders by dragging one on top of another, that'll reduce your page count.

Can I not rename folders?

EDIT: never mind you have to the open the folder first.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Speaking of Launchpad, what is the point of it if you can't startup with it? I always thought it would replace the desktop. How is it like iOS if you have to manually launch it first?

It is one gesture/keystroke away at all times. Now I just hope that I have the option of getting rid of the goddamn dock forever in 10.8 Felis Catus

Launchpad also highlights how loving awful some vendors are with how much poo poo they leave everywhere. The usual culprits, Adobe and Microsoft.

quote:

Can I not rename folders?

Click on the name of it while it is expanded.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Safari still chokes on animated gif pages, why can't they fix that?

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
Is anyone getting strange flickering in Lion when they swipe between full screen apps? I'm getting some flicker, running on a Dell Ultrasharp monitor. Actually, a lot of flicker. When I switch via keyboard (i.e. "Move left/right a space" keyboard mapping, it doesn't flicker, but via trackpad, it does flicker.

alo
May 1, 2005

So Apple has managed to create an implementation of SMB worse than Samba's. Wow. Actually, it appears to work when I browse in Terminal, but Finder states I don't have permission to view my folders.

In lieu of that, Apple states that Lion supports nfs4. Is there any gui way to actually set up an nfs4 mount? Does it do idmaping? I've already tried the NFS Mounts section of Disk Utility (only appears to do nfs 3).

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Ok what I've figured out so far about lion

Step 1: Drag Application folder back onto bar, and drag launchpad off bar :toot:

Step 2: Go to mouse settings and undo the "inverted mouselook" scrolling.

Step 3: Research how to fix the fonts in the sidebars in finder and mail.

I'm sure I'll find something I like, but almost every change I've stumbled acrss just seems like it makes stuff harder, or in the case of the mouse scrolling, plain counterintuitive.

e:

Can I get mail to give me a more normal list of mails? This is really annoying to visually scan.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 21, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

alo posted:

So Apple has managed to create an implementation of SMB worse than Samba's.
They went to SMB 2.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

drasticactions posted:

It works for me. Sometimes it hangs when opening a file, but it installs and plays everything fine over here.

Aha, there we go, had to explicitly uninstall it before reinstalling it. Thanks!

Oh hey, Pixelmator has an update?

...oh. :negative:

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 21, 2011

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Oh poo poo, double post. Sorry.

vvv Launchpad should, in theory, have every app on your system. That's its purpose.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
You can add things to Launchpad right? I want to put Chrome in it.

e: Okay, just add it to the applications folder, sweet.

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 21, 2011

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Launch pad seems like it'd be cool for new mac users. Way better than the start menu of windows and better than browsing the applications folder. Personally, I like using CMD+Space to launch spotlight then start to type in the app name till it comes up. A lot faster than anything else.

QWERTTY
May 26, 2009

Maui Wowie
I just installed mac osx lion. I am quite new to macs so I'm familiar to operating software upgrades.

I had a folder in my /users folder where I put all my video work in because I haven't bought a hard drive yet. after I installed osx lion my storage folder is gone. Is it some place different or is it deleted? I tried and search some of my project in finder and couldn't find any of them. If it is deleted is there any way I can get it back?

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

The /Users folder is supposed to be where the OS puts each user's home directory. I guess the upgrade could have wiped out the folder because it didn't find a corresponding user to go with it. I'm not really sure why it would do that though.

In the future, it's probably not a good idea to store anything, especially important data, in a directory that's managed by the OS. Why wouldn't you put your video data inside the Movies directory in your home folder?

QWERTTY
May 26, 2009

Maui Wowie

Gordon Cole posted:

The /Users folder is supposed to be where the OS puts each user's home directory. I guess the upgrade could have wiped out the folder because it didn't find a corresponding user to go with it. I'm not really sure why it would do that though.

In the future, it's probably not a good idea to store anything, especially important data, in a directory that's managed by the OS. Why wouldn't you put your video data inside the Movies directory in your home folder?

I wasn't sure where I was supposed to put things and it just wasn't video files it was the project files as well. I just put in a request to get a call from apple tomorrow. From now on if I want a folder I can put all my projects in where should they go?

QWERTTY
May 26, 2009

Maui Wowie
Actually it is here! This is a relief but I still cannot find it in finder which is a bummer any help?

(picture removed)

QWERTTY fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 21, 2011

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

QWERTTY posted:

I wasn't sure where I was supposed to put things and it just wasn't video files it was the project files as well. I just put in a request to get a call from apple tomorrow. From now on if I want a folder I can put all my projects in where should they go?

In your own user folder somewhere. Documents, Movies, a folder of your own creation... Just inside the space yourself own. (Coincidentally, Lion ratcheted up the restrictions on system folders to help prevent this sort of thing.)

While you're waiting for Apple to get back to you, see if there's a Previous System folder at the root of your hard drive. Wayward files often get shoved there, and I think I have some dead user folders moved there while I was testing Lion.

Edit: In Finder, open the Go menu. Pick "Go To Folder", type in "/Storage", and press enter. Or if you keep hitting Command-Up from a Finder window, you should eventually see it. (I assume you're just having trouble finding it—understandably—not that it's hidden.)

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 21, 2011

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Just installed Safari 5.1 and Little Snitch has gone loving crazy – 5 to 10 dialogs for every single page. Denial of seemingly random connections is disabling things like page graphics, YouTube links, who knows what else.

I do not like it. No sir, not one bit.

QWERTTY
May 26, 2009

Maui Wowie

Molten Llama posted:

In your own user folder somewhere. Documents, Movies, a folder of your own creation... Just inside the space yourself own. (Coincidentally, Lion ratcheted up the restrictions on system folders to help prevent this sort of thing.)

While you're waiting for Apple to get back to you, see if there's a Previous System folder at the root of your hard drive. Wayward files often get shoved there, and I think I have some dead user folders moved there while I was testing earlier versions of Lion.

Edit: In Finder, open the Go menu. Pick "Go To Folder", type in "/Storage", and press enter.

If you can see my post above, the files are there I just cannot find them if I search for them in finder. I got to that by seeing if my old projects could be opened and they where there.

EDIT:Ah! Thank you very much!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

This is a bug which I did submit to Apple during the betas of Lion, which never got fixed in the GM, and just wondering if it still exists in the retail version.

The print server at my work runs off Windows Server 2008. The print queues on it do not require any authentication to print to them. Windows and OSX 10.5/6 clients can print to them without needing to type in an username and password.

However Lion you need to have an account to authorise the print job or it just sits in the queue like a stupid bastard, even though it doesn't need authentication. Are other goons here having this issue as well?

Jenova Project
Aug 5, 2007

by Fistgrrl

duck monster posted:

Step 2: Go to mouse settings and undo the "inverted mouselook" scrolling.

What I'm hearing is that it has iPhone scrolling by default? This is good news, but I already bought Hyperdock... Oh well. It's not counterintuitive at all if you're using a laptop or a desktop with a trackpad.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
I'm noticing that when I set a desktop background and switch to another space, the desktop background hasn't changed -- it's still using the old background. Anyone else?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

You Am I posted:

This is a bug which I did submit to Apple during the betas of Lion, which never got fixed in the GM, and just wondering if it still exists in the retail version.

Retail is GM (11A511), so yes is a safe bet.

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

I'm noticing that when I set a desktop background and switch to another space, the desktop background hasn't changed -- it's still using the old background. Anyone else?

Backgrounds are now set on a per-space basis. At this time, it's not possible to easily set the same background for all spaces.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I just made a time machine backup on Snow Leopard, do I literally just jam the external drive into my new computer *some magic happens* and all my programs and emails and whatever are on the new computer?

I had a really poo poo experience with migration assistant going from a Tiger powerbook to a Leopard macbook, so I want to make sure I don't have to do anything extra to make the Snow Lep --> Lion transfer super easy.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I just made a time machine backup on Snow Leopard, do I literally just jam the external drive into my new computer *some magic happens* and all my programs and emails and whatever are on the new computer?

I had a really poo poo experience with migration assistant going from a Tiger powerbook to a Leopard macbook, so I want to make sure I don't have to do anything extra to make the Snow Lep --> Lion transfer super easy.

Just… run the Lion installer? Disconnect your backup drive first, I guess.

The upgrade is not going to scatter a bunch of crap all over your hard drive. This isn't Windows ME.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I understand your hesitance to use Migration Assistant, but it really is the best tool for this case. I suspect your trouble with the Tiger to Leopard migration were related to the different processor architectures, which isn't a problem here.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Jenova Project posted:

What I'm hearing is that it has iPhone scrolling by default? This is good news, but I already bought Hyperdock... Oh well. It's not counterintuitive at all if you're using a laptop or a desktop with a trackpad.

It's really not. If you wanted to see the bottom of a piece of paper in front of you, would you push up on it? or push down?

you'd push up

Once you get that in your head it makes perfect sense.

(I had to do this way back in IBM terminal days)

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Doctor Zero posted:

It's really not. If you wanted to see the bottom of a piece of paper in front of you, would you push up on it? or push down?

you'd push up

Once you get that in your head it makes perfect sense.

(I had to do this way back in IBM terminal days)

Yeah, that works fine when you're manipulating the data directly. (e.g. Via touchscreen.) With an intermediary device like a mouse or a trackpad, it makes less sense.

See: every mouse scroll wheel ever. It's the exact same finger motion, and reversing it would make no sense at all.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Accipiter posted:

Yeah, that works fine when you're manipulating the data directly. (e.g. Via touchscreen.) With an intermediary device like a mouse or a trackpad, it makes less sense.

See: every mouse scroll wheel ever. It's the exact same finger motion, and reversing it would make no sense at all.
Yet they did reverse it. And it's not really that big of a deal at all...

gregday
May 23, 2003

Anyone having issues with custom IMAP folders in Lion Mail? I use "Trash" and "Sent" as the folder names on my server, but Mail insists on creating and using "Deleted Messages" and "Sent Messages" instead. It used to be you could edit com.apple.mail.plist and change the folder names in there. I'm doing that, and it's keeping in the plist, but Mail is not honoring it. I really really do not want to change my IMAP folder names from what I've been using.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

gregday posted:

Anyone having issues with custom IMAP folders in Lion Mail? I use "Trash" and "Sent" as the folder names on my server, but Mail insists on creating and using "Deleted Messages" and "Sent Messages" instead. It used to be you could edit com.apple.mail.plist and change the folder names in there. I'm doing that, and it's keeping in the plist, but Mail is not honoring it. I really really do not want to change my IMAP folder names from what I've been using.

Select the folder in the sidebar and choose Mailbox > Use This Mailbox For...

gregday
May 23, 2003

Accipiter posted:

Select the folder in the sidebar and choose Mailbox > Use This Mailbox For...

Did you ever know that you're my hero?

edit for content: One thing I love about Lion Mail is the new toolbar buttons. Particuarly Archive, which puts messages in a folder called Archive. If a folder doesn't exist, it creates it and puts them there. And the button to Show All Headers. Not sure if that's always been there but it's super useful as an admin.

Now if I could just get iOS Mail to Archive by default instead of Delete for common IMAP servers...

gregday fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 21, 2011

QWERTTY
May 26, 2009

Maui Wowie
Why is my folder hidden? When exit this and open this folder its gone.

QWERTTY fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 21, 2011

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

NotShadowStar posted:

:words:

Seriously?

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
Are you guys using this inverted scrolling wackiness? It's not intuitive for me, but if this is what the future is like, I'd rather learn it now than later.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

grahm posted:

Are you guys using this inverted scrolling wackiness? It's not intuitive for me, but if this is what the future is like, I'd rather learn it now than later.
It took me about a day to get used to it and now I just leave it that way. Somehow it doesn't gently caress me up when I switch to Windows either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

grahm posted:

I'm planning on sticking with it. It'll be hell whenever I have to use a windows machine at work, but when you're switching between Mac OS and iOS devices throughout the day it makes a lot of sense to have the same scrolling paradigm.