Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Jape is a real word.

So are leal, serjeant, winds and nipples. We're not arguing that these words are made up, just that they suddenly became popular in the books, most likely because GRRM got them stuck in his head.

Although jape I think has been around since the first book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Unoriginal Name posted:

Also Dany didn't just luck into her situation. She made some very intelligent choices and was an excellent tactician until she stopped to rule Mereen. Whereupon she put on a tokar and sat on a pyramid and whined about the bad things that were happening. I believe that this is some attempt to show the instability of the Targayeans in her, but it shouldn't make her retarded. Wild maybe, but not boring.

It's a lesson for her on how ruling differs from conquering. Some people might think that it's smart to try and learn how to rule if you have intentions to conquer an entire kingdom, especially when your predecessors include Mad Aerys, Robert 'whoring, drinking and hunting' Baratheon and Joffrey. It's not exactly the first time this theme has come up in the series (it's basically the entire reason no-one wants Stannis, not to mention a large part of the downfall of Robert and the Targaryens), Dany by at least trying to give a gently caress has an edge over basically every other contender for the Iron Throne.

hampig fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 21, 2011

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

It was like the Colosseum in Rome and we were the Christians." - Bobby Dodd, on playing at LSU's Tiger Stadium
Again, for those that are arguing that Dany is hamstrung by her sense of morality and justice and stuff, don't forget about stuff like this:

Dany 2nd posted:

Mercy, thought Dany. They will have the dragon’s mercy. “Skahaz, I have changed my mind. Question the man sharply.”
“I could. Or I could question the daughters sharply whilst the father looks on. That will wring some names from him.”
“Do as you think best, but bring me names.
” Her fury was a fire in her belly.
Dany: "Yeah, go ahead and torture the daughters of the owner of a place where a murder took place. That makes sense. RAR I AM DRAGON. Anyone seen Daario?"

Who else in the series have we seen do something so completely brutal with very little chance for benefit like that? Cersei. The Boltons. Umm. Maybe Crows Eye. Pretty much nobody else would have jumped straight to torturing the daughters, skipping questioning them "sweetly" or torturing the father first. Nope! Straight to the most brutal option available! Cersei, Ramsay Snow, Roose Bolton, Danaerys Targaryen.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Phylodox posted:

I think Daenerys started doubting herself when Drogon ate that little girl. She blamed herself, and ended up crippled with guild and indecision.

I have to say, that was a great end to the chapter. All these tedious petitions/Mereen politics, and then BAM! Dragon-roasted child out of nowhere.

I thought it was going to be a great start to the Dany chapters...and then she locks two of the three dragons away and we don't see them again (beyond the one visit to the pit) for hundreds of pages. I thought that was going to be the start of her training the dragons more, not locking them away. The dragons are the only reason you have any power at all, Dany! If you don't train them and can't use them, you are basically hosed.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I would say that the archaic spellings and different spellings aren't even annoying at all.

What IS annoying is that suddenly everyone lives by the phrase, "Words are wind."

I could see this being applicable to Quentyn's arc, and makes sense there considering what happens to him in Dany's court, but... how did everyone in the world begin to believe this?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Caufman posted:

The sudden and widespread use of leal, serjeant, 'words are wind' and 'nipples on a breastplate' make me think that there's some kind of language morphic field or GRRM is a writer with flaws, and one flaw is finding a new word or phrase and overusing it. At least no one is saying, "Nothing holds an edge like Valyrian steel" anymore.

I think nipples on a breastplate is used twice, it just seems jarring because the usage is 2-3 chapters apart.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

The one I was wondering about was "shavepate"

Seems to be a real word, but before this book, had been used like 10 times in all history.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

hampig posted:

It's a lesson for her on how ruling differs from conquering. Some people might think that it's smart to try and learn how to rule if you have intentions to conquer an entire kingdom, especially when your predecessors include Mad Aerys, Robert 'whoring, drinking and hunting' Baratheon and Joffrey. It's not exactly the first time this theme has come up in the series (it's basically the entire reason no-one wants Stannis, not to mention a large part of the downfall of Robert and the Targaryens), Dany by at least trying to give a gently caress has an edge over basically every other contender for the Iron Throne.

The problem is that GRRM has shown that ruling with justice is a possiblity. Ned Stark made excellent decisions in just a single day on the throne as Hand. Also the fact that Dany completely disregards clear improvements in Mereenese society because she's busy thinking about some sellword. She disregards the armies and sickness and the taming of her dragons and everything else she needs to worry about. She gives a gently caress about the slaves pain without thinking about how to stop it.

literallyincredible
Oct 23, 2008

quote:

Ned Stark made excellent decisions in just a single day on the throne as Hand.

Lol what? Ned massively hosed himself over and laid the seeds of his house's demise on his day as hand. He guaranteed war with the Lannisters while passing up a chance to secure an alliance with the Tyrells by sending Loras after the Mountain, as Loras is a hothead bent on making and legend for himself and dumbass Mace would certainly back his son up.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

It was like the Colosseum in Rome and we were the Christians." - Bobby Dodd, on playing at LSU's Tiger Stadium

literallyincredible posted:

while passing up a chance to secure an alliance with the Tyrells by sending Loras after the Mountain, as Loras is a hothead bent on making and legend for himself and dumbass Mace would certainly back his son up.

Not quite man, you're going overboard on this one. Ned could still have made an alliance with Highgarden after he turned down Loras, quite easily. All he had to do was take Renly up on his offer after Robert died.

literallyincredible
Oct 23, 2008
Sure, but there was no way he would have forseen that coming up. Sending Loras was a no-brainer political move that he passed up because at the end of the day he's "just a soldier" as show Cersei would put it.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Lol what? Ned massively hosed himself over and laid the seeds of his house's demise on his day as hand. He guaranteed war with the Lannisters while passing up a chance to secure an alliance with the Tyrells by sending Loras after the Mountain, as Loras is a hothead bent on making and legend for himself and dumbass Mace would certainly back his son up.

He didn't send Loras precisely because of the reasons you mentioned. Loras wanted glory and fame and wouldn't have helped the people. Whereas Dondarrion helped them to his death and beyond.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Ned is from the North where the only thing holding it together is a very strict sense of honour amongst the Northmen. He wouldn't know a thing about pinching his nose to make a decision. As we all know it doesn't work in the South where staying honourable to one's values is as useful as nipples on a breastplate.

But as we've seen, people like Lord Manderly will always believe in the Starks even when it would be politically expedient to bend to the will of King's Landing. You've got Lord Manderly baking Freys into pie and planning a glorious backstabbing with the Umbers so they can put Rickon back on the throne. You have a whole bunch of Northern clans uniting behind Stannis not because they love him but because they want to save the Stark girl.

So yes, Ned got poo poo done but the way he did it was not the politically best way of doing so. Which is far more than what Dany ever did but we must forgive her for she is a little girl and doesn't know much in the ways of not being unfit to rule.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Eej posted:

Ned is from the North where the only thing holding it together is a very strict sense of honour amongst the Northmen. He wouldn't know a thing about pinching his nose to make a decision. As we all know it doesn't work in the South where staying honourable to one's values is as useful as nipples on a breastplate.

But as we've seen, people like Lord Manderly will always believe in the Starks even when it would be politically expedient to bend to the will of King's Landing. You've got Lord Manderly baking Freys into pie and planning a glorious backstabbing with the Umbers so they can put Rickon back on the throne. You have a whole bunch of Northern clans uniting behind Stannis not because they love him but because they want to save the Stark girl.

So yes, Ned got poo poo done but the way he did it was not the politically best way of doing so. Which is far more than what Dany ever did but we must forgive her for she is a little girl and doesn't know much in the ways of not being unfit to rule.

This is why I loving love the North so much. In a world full of backstabbing scumbags and shitholes, the Northmen remain loyal and dedicated to their King. gently caress the Boltons though.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think nipples on a breastplate is used twice, it just seems jarring because the usage is 2-3 chapters apart.

Only twice? I guess it seemed like more.

Another one for the list, is it just me or is there also suddenly a rush of things being made of niello? I don't think I ever saw that word before ADWD.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

literally used twice in the book, and then a payoff of sorts

"All the fight went out of him when he heard that his queen had wed, Tyrion realized. One whispered word had done what fists and whips and clubs could not; it had broken him. I should have let the crone have him. He’s going to be as useful as nipples on a breastplate."

"Cersei paced the width of the cell. 'I need to be with Tommen. These Kingsguard knights are as useless as nipples on a breastplate.'"

"The nipples on his muscled breastplate had a pair of iron rings through them."

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Caufman posted:

So are leal, serjeant, winds and nipples. We're not arguing that these words are made up, just that they suddenly became popular in the books, most likely because GRRM got them stuck in his head.

Although jape I think has been around since the first book.

Yeah, jape showed up on every other page. It's like Martin gets attached to one word, or he's afraid that synonyms like joke or jest or gibe might be considered too normal and jar you out of the fantasy world. There was a few times my mind read jape as jest just because it was so loving tired of reading the word jape. When the reader is unconsciously using synonyms to break monotony, the editor did a lovely job.

Also, the Daario blue hair thing might seem kind of weird, but it's worth noting that indigo was one of the earliest dyes used in our own world for both clothes and hair and generally would dye hair a blue-black sheen, so it wasn't impossible for hair to be bluish in real life pre-punk era either. But I don't know if that's what Martin was thinking and going for, or if he meant like bright blue like that weird skateboarding kid with the mohawk in high school.

"Nipples on a breastplate" isn't awful though. It works in the same sense that "useful as a chocolate teapus.ot" or whatever works for us, and then yeah there's the payoff.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Certain phrases get repeated in a 44,000 word book? You don't say.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Edit: ^^^ It's sort of like having "beautiful" be his sole descriptive adjective for anything that's aesthetically pleasant. It would get grating after a while because there are plenty of other choices and synonyms that could be interspersed for better effect. 'Jape' became incredibly annoying after a while.

Ned had a poor handle on the politicking of the king's court, but that takes nothing away from the fact that he made practical, logical, responsible, and correct decisions. His problem was that he didn't assume from the get-go that a number of forces would be acting against him in the background.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 21, 2011

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Next book renamed Words of Wind

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Pwnstar posted:

Next book renamed Words of Wind

Breeze of Bullshit.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Galbart Glover and Maege Mormont still hiding out in Greywater Watch :(

Hmm, since Robett Glover was obviously ransomed, does that mean that Ser Helmann Tallhart was as well?

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Brannock posted:

Certain phrases get repeated in a 44,000 word book? You don't say.

It's an attachment to an archaic word that has plenty of synonyms and gets recycled every few pages that gets obnoxious. The word jape appears 41 times in the book (47 if we include 'japing' and 'japed'). Jest appears twice. Gibe once, and joked also appears once but not as a noun.

edit: It gets worse if you look up different forms, too

HeroOfTheRevolution fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 21, 2011

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

It's an attachment to an archaic word that has plenty of synonyms and gets recycled every few pages that gets obnoxious. The word jape appears 41 times in the book. Jest appears twice. Gibe once. Joke is completely absent.

I for one am disgusted at the lack of "skylarking."

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I wasn't surprised when the GOT TV show changed "mummers" to actors". Fighting back against GRRM's pseudo-old english~~

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

hhhmmm posted:

Ned made a point of always inviting different subjects to his table to listen, learn, and promote loyalty.. and not create too much of a distance.

Yes, but notice he invites them to his table, he doesn't sit down on theirs. He elevates them up to be a guest of their Lord, not sitting himself down to be "one of them". I think Jon should have done the same instead of eating alone (or do it like Captain Jack Aubrey in Patrick O'Brian's series: invite the Lieutenant and a Midshipman from the last watch to breakfast most days. It makes it "reward" (good food) for your night duty), but that's too late now.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's used four times in AFFC already too, so it's not like it just appeared with ADWD. "Words are Wind" too, by the way, used twice in ASOS, used six times in AFFC.

Decius fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 21, 2011

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
This whole debate is a mummer's farce

elron
Jan 13, 2002

Mmm... monkeys

lapse posted:

If it please m'lord, a king must needs bestow many and more gifts upon his leal lords and serjeants.
snuck another one in there.

I counted how many times GRRM used "many and more" (or "much and more" or "little and less") in each book... the results are a bit scary:

aGoT: 0 times
aCoK: 5 times
aSoS: 10 times
aFfC: 22 times
aDwD: 47 loving times

If you extrapolate, book 6 will be released in 2074 and will just be 1000 pages filled with "much and more".

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
I caved in and got an ebook. I liked it overall, but gently caress emo goony virginprince Quentyn and his stupidity, and Meereen dragged for so long I thought it would never end.

I also spoiled Theon being alive to my brother, who didn't know a thing since he finished AFFC. Whoops.

For the language discussion: I don't really mind his different words at all, must be because English is not my first language and they don't seem queer to me.

The thing I'm the most interested in, though, did Arya warg into a cat? or was that my imagination?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Sweet As Sin posted:

The thing I'm the most interested in, though, did Arya warg into a cat? or was that my imagination?

She did, and I thought it was very clearly spelled out, it was how she knew that the Kindly Man was the one attacking her.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

elron posted:

aGoT: 0 times
aCoK: 5 times
aSoS: 10 times
aFfC: 22 times
aDwD: 47 loving times
LOL it doubles in each book. Well 0 to 5 isn't "doubling" but otherwise

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
They just released the cover art for the next book

Daric fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 21, 2011

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!
I didn't realize that I was going to spark such a lively debate with my 'sperging!

Although to be fair Serjent is used 49 times in the book and that is just excessive.

Exasperated Badger
Jun 9, 2009

"Come," he says. "Let me tell you a story. Once, there were four stalwart heroes..."
To change the topic, does anyone think Manderley is in league with Stoneheart's outlaws?The Walder boy's murder was neither Theon nor the wilding girls. And the Frey's going missing during Manderley's cross-country journey? Ambushes in the woods fits Stoneheart's MO ...as the Kingslayer will find out in Book 6

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Why don't the Others go around the Wall when the Milkwater freezes?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Exasperated Badger posted:

To change the topic, does anyone think Manderley is in league with Stoneheart's outlaws?The Walder boy's murder was neither Theon nor the wilding girls. And the Frey's going missing during Manderley's cross-country journey? Ambushes in the woods fits Stoneheart's MO ...as the Kingslayer will find out in Book 6

It's pretty clear that Manderly had them murderd. And then served as pie. Two of the Freys were assholes to him and responsible for the Red Wedding/killing his son. Little Walder was betrothed to his granddaughter. No Lady Stoneheart necessary.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
WHERE IS MAESTER LUWIN

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Iggles posted:

Doctor's orders, they had to cut down on their salt intake.

Which also makes me realize that The Others creep me out more now that we know they can zombify animals too. The "dead things in the water" at Hardhome make me think of undead sea lions, seals, and narwals attacking the ships.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jul 21, 2011

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Iggles posted:

For real. The wall is really freaking stupid at that climate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Iggles posted:

Honor and tradition. The White Walkers are honorable demons, they do things the way they always had. Their forebears tried to cross the wall in a certain way, and so shall they. There are doctrines to follow in the long winter, many and more.