Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Haggins posted:

Maybe that's why Safari seems to be loading pages faster too? It's mostly the image heavy pages that I notice a difference on.

That's likely due to under the hood improvements in Safari. Maybe a little bit of Webkit 2 magic as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So AFP has been replaced with AFP2 and theres no backwards compatibility until my NAS firmware upgrades?

because if so its going to be a looooong 3 weeks of work if i dont have my back catalog of top gear and other NAS-stored media :(

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The thing I like most about Lion is that right after the install, my Windows 7 machine showed up on a computer that I hadn't ever went through all the hoops I had to go through on Snow Leopard to get other computers to see it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rick posted:

The thing I like most about Lion is that right after the install, my Windows 7 machine showed up on a computer that I hadn't ever went through all the hoops I had to go through on Snow Leopard to get other computers to see it.
Snow Leopard would sometimes automagically show my Windows 7 machines. The update to SMB2 seems to have improved the Vista/7 sharing experience dramatically.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Laserface posted:

So AFP has been replaced with AFP2 and theres no backwards compatibility until my NAS firmware upgrades?

because if so its going to be a looooong 3 weeks of work if i dont have my back catalog of top gear and other NAS-stored media :(

I'm in the same boat, hopefully mine actually upgrades, sounds like the only company that offers it, is charging a bunch...

In the meantime there is this, will work for everything besides time machine I think.
http://icomputernrd.blogspot.com/2011/07/freenas-fix-for-afp-connection-issues.html?spref=fb

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

duck monster posted:

also MOTHERFUCKER has YET AGAIN broken my loving python install :argh:

Seriously apple whats so hard about /etc /usr /home /usr/bin etc.... Its bad enough and I wont hold it against them for a decision to spazz out file locations an entire decade ago, but this constantly moving directories around every release just fucks with my head :(

Apple seems to take the position that the standard UNIX directories are not OK to mess with. You should probably install in a similar way to Macports does where it installs to /opt/ and doesn't mess with the system Python.

Don't replace the system python or ruby from /usr/bin/, because things like Installer use it as a scripting language, and you could break weird stuff if /usr/bin/python isn't the same version that is expected. Instead, put your custom python somewhere else, and update your PATH.

StainlessBanner
Dec 23, 2006

Maybe you shouldn't kiss and tell
Does anyone know how to change what the default finder window opens up to? It's now the "All My Files" folder and I would like to change it to my home folder.

Edit: Figured it out. Go to the desktop, Finder menu and then Preferences.

StainlessBanner fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 21, 2011

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

MrEnigma posted:

I'm in the same boat, hopefully mine actually upgrades, sounds like the only company that offers it, is charging a bunch...

In the meantime there is this, will work for everything besides time machine I think.
http://icomputernrd.blogspot.com/2011/07/freenas-fix-for-afp-connection-issues.html?spref=fb

ReadyNAS NV+4000 here. Netgear are working on it apparently, and have been for a while.

can someone test - apparently its not an issue if you connect as guest? im a pretty lax house-admin and dont require authentication on my NAS at home so Im hoping that works.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Laserface posted:

ReadyNAS NV+4000 here. Netgear are working on it apparently, and have been for a while.

can someone test - apparently its not an issue if you connect as guest? im a pretty lax house-admin and dont require authentication on my NAS at home so Im hoping that works.

I have a Cisco SmartStorage, and while it's a clone of the QNAP box basically...Cisco takes their sweet time porting anything over, and they make sure the packages aren't compatible...grr

Daveh
Jan 18, 2005

You know what? You know what you're putting into our bodies? Death! Delicious, strawberry-flavored death!

MrEnigma posted:

Blah, apparently Lion uses AFP 2 or something, and my NAS uses a version that's not compatible. No Time Machine or access to shares for me until I get a software update...weak sauce.

If the NAS is a Synology one update the DSM to the 3.2 beta and it'll start working again.

edit:
apparently it's not :(

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So for anyone else wondering, QuickTime 7 will install fine in Lion now.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Anyone else notice that Photoshop Elements is on the App Store now? That seems like sort of a big deal to me. I never thought we'd see Adobe aligning to Apple's distribution method, but I guess they don't care about their consumer licensing as much. Still, it gives me hope for Photoshop CS eventually making it there.
I'd imagine a lot of the CS suite would require major updates in order to fit App Store requirements.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Small White Dragon posted:

I'd imagine a lot of the CS suite would require major updates in order to fit App Store requirements.
"How can we make CS without our crapware all over the system!?"

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
So is there a reason that the "customize" option is still greyed out for me? Is there not a way to do a clean install of Lion?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

When I first started out with Lion, Finder was plain and simply DEAD. I could open 100x windows in it and see them when I right clicked it, but never a chance in hell did I get to one of the windows. Forcing a relaunch made it work again, but that also made this happen:

This is the title of the Finder window when I've selected All my files. This says "All my files" for everyone else I know AND my own MBP. What gives?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

coldplay chiptunes posted:

So is there a reason that the "customize" option is still greyed out for me? Is there not a way to do a clean install of Lion?
Customize isn't where the option to do a clean install would be anyway. You have to use Disk Utility to format the drive first.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Note to all users wanting to remove the login name, battery meter, clock, etc from your Menu Bar. Simply hold Cmd and drag the icon out. It disappears into the ether.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

No. 6 posted:

Note to all users wanting to remove the login name, battery meter, clock, etc from your Menu Bar. Simply hold Cmd and drag the icon out. It disappears into the ether.

Cool, now how do I get it to move over so there isn't an empty space?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Can I remove apps from Launchpad without deleting them? Launchpad has chosen to display a bunch of internal apps from Office, Creative Suite, .etc .etc that I could care less about.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Haggins posted:

That'll probably resolve itself once you login/logout, 10.6's did the same thing if you pulled parts out every now and then.

There's probably some system service you can kill -HUP to kick it into recycling, but I don't know off the top of my head what that would be.

edit: One of my new favourite things is how I can now just Spaces-switch to the Dashboard, as it should have been from the get go. Now I can play TF2 without accidentally hitting the dashboard F-keys :woop:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 21, 2011

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Bret Hart posted:

Anyone know why I get these wacky dropdown arrows at the top?

How did you get your sidebar to throw movies, music, etc, under media?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Has anyone bothered making a bootable DVD yet?

I did. I just bought a new hard drive, so I'm starting with a clean slate.

Installation requires a connection to the Internet, and it does not work with WiFi on some systems.
(I tried this on my MacBook Pro 15" Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz, and it couldn't find any networks via WiFi. I had to plug in an Ethernet cable.)

You must sign into the Apple Store with the account you purchased Lion with before the install starts. Hello Mac OS X Product Activation.

Also, I have no idea what it is installing from the DVD vs from the Internet. It says it is downloading poo poo, and then said there are 5 hours left of the install. It quickly jumped to "2 hours", "1 hour", and now it's down to just 36 minutes left. So I'm guessing it didn't download much.

Server Admin Tools are completely hosed. I guess no one running the beta has to work with Mac OS X Server. I think I need to wipe my work system and go back to a clean 10.6 install.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Xenomorph posted:

You must sign into the Apple Store with the account you purchased Lion with before the install starts. Hello Mac OS X Product Activation.

What method did you use to create your bootable dvd? I've done it burning InstallESD.dmg and it hasn't asked me for any details yet.

American Joe
Sep 23, 2006
Does anyone know how to fullscreen an app on an external monitor? Whenever I have an app on my external display and put it into fullscreen, it moves to the laptop display and blacks out the external. It's particularly annoying in Quicktime where both the old fullscreen button and the new one do the same thing, seeing as the old fullscreen button used to fullscreen on whatever monitor it was on.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Haggins posted:

I never experienced this so I'd say rebooting might fix this as already suggested.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Also is Xcode 4 going to be free for Lion users forever on the App Store? Kind of pissed I paid five bucks when it first hit the App Store since I basically bought it specifically so I'd be ready to install Xcode when Lion shipped :q:

edit: Not rage-pissed, but you know how it is.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Martytoof posted:

Also is Xcode 4 going to be free for Lion users forever on the App Store? Kind of pissed I paid five bucks when it first hit the App Store since I basically bought it specifically so I'd be ready to install Xcode when Lion shipped :q:
Apple strictly adheres to some weird U.S. accounting laws passed a few years back, so it's possible they could charge you again later when they introduce some new version of Xcode.

edit: vvvv I think that was a listed as a "bug" or "known issue" in betas. Figured it would have been fixed by now...

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 21, 2011

Fungah
Jul 2, 2003
Fungah! Foiled again!

American Joe posted:

Does anyone know how to fullscreen an app on an external monitor? Whenever I have an app on my external display and put it into fullscreen, it moves to the laptop display and blacks out the external. It's particularly annoying in Quicktime where both the old fullscreen button and the new one do the same thing, seeing as the old fullscreen button used to fullscreen on whatever monitor it was on.

Apparently you can't. It has to be set as your primary monitor (got that from the anandtech review).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fungah posted:

Apparently you can't. It has to be set as your primary monitor (got that from the anandtech review).

That's kind of lame. I'm going to guess this will be like a 10.7.4 change at some point maybe.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Am I imagining things or did they tweak iTunes somehow? My music seems to sound a lot clearer and beefier now.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
It would be awesome if my adblockers would start working again. I don't like my Safari windows being plastered with ads.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

theperminator posted:

What method did you use to create your bootable dvd? I've done it burning InstallESD.dmg and it hasn't asked me for any details yet.

There is only one method.
The App Store purchase downloads a disc image. Burn that and boot from it.

The installation said it needed to verify with Apple before it would copy any files.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Can I remove apps from Launchpad without deleting them? Launchpad has chosen to display a bunch of internal apps from Office, Creative Suite, .etc .etc that I could care less about.
Cram them into a folder and move that to another page that you'll never see? (like people do on iOS with some of the Apple apps)

Apple strictly adheres to some weird U.S. accounting laws passed a few years back, so it's possible they could charge you again later when they introduce some new version of Xcode.
They just changed the revenue recognition method for OS X so new Xcodes should be free for Lion...well they can still charge for it if they want, but it'd just be because they want the money vs having anything to do with annoying accounting rules.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
1. How can I remove an app from launchpad? Right now I have a ton of apps that I never/rarely use taking up space and I'd rather avoid bundling them all into a "junk" folder. Can I just remove them from the launchpad?
Google says ctrl - option - command and click, but that seems to have been a beta thing only as it doesn't work on my install at least.

2. How can I quickly clear the screen to get at the desktop? used to be 4 fingers up but that's mission control now which doesnt seem to let me get at stuff on the desktop.
Eg I just downloaded a dmg file in Chrome, mounted it... but now its sat there as a drive on the desktop which I cant easily get at. (Or at least not as easily as previously).

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

All my links to shared locations in finder (listed in the favorites sidebar) no longer work - how do i remove/reactivate them?

EDIT: redrag them to the favorites bar and youre golden.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 21, 2011

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Jiblet posted:

1. How can I remove an app from launchpad? Right now I have a ton of apps that I never/rarely use taking up space and I'd rather avoid bundling them all into a "junk" folder. Can I just remove them from the launchpad?
Google says ctrl - option - command and click, but that seems to have been a beta thing only as it doesn't work on my install at least.

2. How can I quickly clear the screen to get at the desktop? used to be 4 fingers up but that's mission control now which doesnt seem to let me get at stuff on the desktop.
Eg I just downloaded a dmg file in Chrome, mounted it... but now its sat there as a drive on the desktop which I cant easily get at. (Or at least not as easily as previously).

System Prefs -> Mission Control to set up a key or hot corner

Spread with 4 fingers by default in Trackpad prefs.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I did not upgrade to Lion yet, but I grabbed all the other free software updates (including the iWorks one) and now my keyboard randomly stops functioning in Pages. I can write a couple of lines and then it just stops responding. I have to manually click on the desktop and then back on the open document in order to resume writing. It happens every 30 seconds or so and pretty much stops me from getting any work done at all.

edit: And it's driving me up the wall because I need to get work done. Argh.

edit2: Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this? The keyboard is working just fine otherwise.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 21, 2011

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

law abiding rapist posted:

Spread with 4 fingers by default in Trackpad prefs.

Cool, now I feel stupid. Thanks!

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Is there an alternative to Keywurl that works well with Safari 5.1 or am I stuck hacking the Safari 4 version to work with it?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Anyone else having issues with Lion unmounting an external HDD without any visible reason? It gives the error afterwards that the drive wasn't removed correctly etc. I had an issue with Spotlight trying to index the HDD and it constantly gave the error until I made the HDD private. But the message keeps popping up every once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radge
Jan 21, 2005

Abel Wingnut posted:

Also cannot wait for Safari to include an omnibar of some kind.

https://github.com/rs/SafariOmnibar