Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Haha, Jammer is going in on Skepta without saying it overtly on JJ's show.

EDIT: Or maybe not, but the way he was describing making pop hits then releasing a grime album for free certainly sounded like he was talking about Skepta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Mike_V posted:

Haha, Jammer is going in on Skepta without saying it overtly on JJ's show.

EDIT: Or maybe not, but the way he was describing making pop hits then releasing a grime album for free certainly sounded like he was talking about Skepta.

Sounds like Wiley maybe? He released Chill Out Zone for free.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

beeps-a-palooza posted:

ive heard u-street's sound is amazing, can you vouch for that?

anyone that's been there can and will vouch for UHall's sound.

also,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYUARyQfWLA

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium
So Donaeo has a new single out on Strictly Rhythm. Well old song, new single. I guess everything does go round in a circle. Current scene leader releasing a new record on formerly giant original scene leading record label, who's formerly ultra popular, scene leading sound was the original starting point for the UK garage scene that developed into some other scenes that has lead to the current scene? :psyduck:

It's good though! The original off his Party Hard album was one of the best tracks off that LP, and I can never say no to a Kenny Dope remix. Now if only they'd do the right thing and put it out on a 12". Hey gently caress it, stick all 7 cuts on the one plate I still wouldn't complain. Anything to get more UK house stuff out on wax.

28 Gun Bad Boy fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 19, 2011

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Sounds like Wiley maybe? He released Chill Out Zone for free.

Chill Out Zone's hardly a grime album but it's still got some enjoyable production on it. If Wiley produced the whole thing himself too I'm impressed.

JimmyJazz
May 22, 2007
Was just giving Untold's Gonna Work Out Fine EP another listen, what massive production. And a couple years later still seems exactly relevant to what's going on today. I saw him have this 'U-251' demo up on soundcloud for a minute but other than that nothing from the new year, I wonder what he's cooking up? Dreadnought seems like a really unfortunate turn to have taken

no one likes a smart-arse
gonna work out fine

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

GET MONEY posted:

Chill Out Zone's hardly a grime album but it's still got some enjoyable production on it. If Wiley produced the whole thing himself too I'm impressed.

Yeah it was the only other recent free album I could think of off the top of my head.

JimmyJazz posted:

Was just giving Untold's Gonna Work Out Fine EP another listen, what massive production. And a couple years later still seems exactly relevant to what's going on today. I saw him have this 'U-251' demo up on soundcloud for a minute but other than that nothing from the new year, I wonder what he's cooking up? Dreadnought seems like a really unfortunate turn to have taken

no one likes a smart-arse
gonna work out fine

I was gonna say maybe he's just busy with the label, but looking at Hemlock's past release schedule it's not exactly crowded, with about a release per quarter. In that case I'd imagine he'll probably be focusing on the Dreadnought thing for a while, so that means you (and to be honest me) will probably be disappointed over the next wee bit.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Didn't he have a single out on Hotflush recently or something? Some other label.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

thepopstalinist posted:

Didn't he have a single out on Hotflush recently or something? Some other label.

He had a couple tracks on Hotflush's latest compilation that came out a few months back. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
https://bleep.com/index.php?page=release_details&releaseid=31129

Just ordered Sicko Cell from Bleep. I love that track. I think it's kinda funny how everyone knows it's Joy O, but they still aren't listing it.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

a milk crime posted:

https://bleep.com/index.php?page=release_details&releaseid=31129

Just ordered Sicko Cell from Bleep. I love that track. I think it's kinda funny how everyone knows it's Joy O, but they still aren't listing it.

Well the mystery is always better than the fact I guess.

Though a bit sad to see the return of 180 gram vinyl, still at least they aren't asking anymore for it so I can't really complain.

Oh and since this came out a week or two ago - just in case you forgot about it - the latest Seiji is out and rocking it hard, while Roska's Rinse mix CD is out so I actually get to see the final tracklist and it's looking real good. For some reason I thought it had Forward Motion on it, but sadly not. Ah well, nothing can be perfect.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Is anyone else annoyed by Jamie George. He ruins whatever Roska track he decides to go on for me.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Mike_V posted:

Is anyone else annoyed by Jamie George. He ruins whatever Roska track he decides to go on for me.

Hahaha, he does sometimes remind me of like, I don't know, a male Kate Nash or someone. It sounds stupid I know, but something along those lines.

Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value

qwako posted:

Saturday night huge lineup at brixton jamm

Deep Medi: Silkie B2B Quest and Cyrus b2b Tunnidge
Channel One with Mikey Dread and Ras Kayleb
Butterz: Elijah & Skilliam

I'll be there. Silkie and Quest make me very happy indeed

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Holy hell Machinedrum's LuckyMe EP is good

Also I wonder if Starkey's got anything up for Butterz. He seems to be a part of the crew now but he probably still has obligations to Civil Music / Planet Mu / Slit Jockey (which he co-runs)

*E Speaking of Butterz - Free S-X EP. Getting a stormtrooper tee to celebrate

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 22, 2011

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

thepopstalinist posted:

Holy hell Machinedrum's LuckyMe EP is good

Just listening to it now... wow. The title track alone is worth the price. Funky/Jungle/Juke vibes

Alarma-Machine Drum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTMZDr9RGBo

And I got this in today
Breton- RDI (Girl Unit remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5L6sNrIBfg

Huuugggeee 808 kicks on the drop.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

JamesKPolk posted:

Just listening to it now... wow. The title track alone is worth the price. Funky/Jungle/Juke vibes

Alarma-Machine Drum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTMZDr9RGBo

And I got this in today
Breton- RDI (Girl Unit remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5L6sNrIBfg

Huuugggeee 808 kicks on the drop.

Defo, title track is what makes it. I've always actually preferred the LuckyMe guys to Numbers actually now that I think of it.

And that Breton remix track just goes to show my theory is correct. 808s make everything better.

And let's not forget the newest Photek. I know a lot of people have been going on about the Pinch mix on this one. I still say all of Photek's recent work has been some of his best ever, right up there with his Solaris stuff (which up until recently I always thought was the pinnacle of what he'd done)

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Finally got around to listening to Roska's Rinse mix and it's good. But wow, that Marco Del Horno track is great! Can't believe I hadn't heard it before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1To-rsztCg

beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn
why the gently caress cant i find any decent future bass on beatport. their genres are so limited :/, they should at the very least have a 2step section or something

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Mike_V posted:

Finally got around to listening to Roska's Rinse mix and it's good. But wow, that Marco Del Horno track is great! Can't believe I hadn't heard it before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1To-rsztCg

Have you heard the track he did with Swerve and P-Money a while back? Ho! Riddim. Really good but on a different vibe to the house stuff.

beeps-a-palooza posted:

why the gently caress cant i find any decent future bass on beatport. their genres are so limited :/, they should at the very least have a 2step section or something

Honestly man you'd be better off at Bleep or Juno for this kind of stuff.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Mike_V posted:

Agreed on both counts, this mix is a ton of fun.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

beeps-a-palooza posted:

Just really avoid beatport for anything, in general. Definitely Juno/Bleep/Boomkat/iTunes have a better selection.

TEE HEE
Nov 4, 2009

Mike_V posted:

yeah aye, yeah aye, yeah aye

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I like Jamie George a lot actually, he's not the best vocalist but he's got a good symbiosis with Roska, and since the latter's tunes are rarely all that exciting sans vocals, he's doing good work IMO.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Ras Het posted:

I like Jamie George a lot actually, he's not the best vocalist but he's got a good symbiosis with Roska, and since the latter's tunes are rarely all that exciting sans vocals, he's doing good work IMO.

I don't mind him generally, just sometimes that kinda accent he's got when he's doing his thing can be a bit much. Like I said it's a bit like Kate Nash or something. Like, "I'm a lahndoner don't cha know!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5tqzm-o76Q "What a whan-dah-full day". Not that I can comment complain about anyones accent mind.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Use boomkat!

Anyway i got the new Old Apparatus on Medi and it's gone in a weird direction now that's for sure. You guys should listen and see cause it's not what i expected.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Two name things:

Is Joy Orbison going by Joy O now? And why did Ramadanman change to Pearson Sound?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah he changed to Joy O about a year ago I think? He had his Hotflush stuff and his first Doldrums single as Orbison but then he dropped the rbison.

As for Pearson Sound, the moniker's been in concurrent use with the Ramadanman name for awhile, I think David Kennedy just decided to release more stuff with the PS alias recently (I think everything he puts out for Hessle Audio uses the PS name). The Ramadanman remix single for Night Slugs wasn't released that long ago. He's also making house-y stuff under the Maurice Donovan alias (a "lost Detroit prodigy" or somesuch) but his production style's hard to miss. I would say the aliases correspond to different kinds of music but to be honest I can hardly tell the difference between Pearson Sound and Ramadanman.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jul 24, 2011

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Mike_V posted:

Two name things:

Is Joy Orbison going by Joy O now? And why did Ramadanman change to Pearson Sound?

Yeah like thepopstalinist said, Ramadanman has been using the Pearson Sound alias almost exclusively for a while now. I actually think I read somewhere he wants to use the PS name full time, but he's having problems since the Ramadanman name is already so popular. I think he wanted his Fabric mix to be purely a Pearson Sound title.

I don't think he's too happy anymore with the name. To be fair it is a bit gash, and I think he was still pretty young when he came up with it and a bit embarassed by it. Like being in a band in your youth and coming up with a terrible name that sounds cool when you're 15, but when your 25, all you want is to not make it sound like you're a bunch of 15 year olds.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

A lot of producers do stuff like that tbf, just check out the differences in sound between Sasu Ripatti's various aliases: there's a clear logic behind them, Ramadanman could do something like that.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Ras Het posted:

A lot of producers do stuff like that tbf, just check out the differences in sound between Sasu Ripatti's various aliases: there's a clear logic behind them, Ramadanman could do something like that.

Oh totally. It's always fun when, unexpectantly, you find out some artist you really like is just an alias of someone else. Sometimes it's done for stylistic reasons, sometimes just not to overburden the market with a glut of material. I really wish Kromestar had done that. I sadly lost interest in him when, at one time a few years ago, he seemed to have just tons of new releases each week, on labels like Southside and Fantastic etc. Just way too much, like a massive sugar overdose, you just got full and had to push stuff away after a while which is a shame as I bet a lot of it was good. Should've split stuff up and used his Iron Soul alias some more, maybe a couple of others. Mind you I say that, he still had a bunch of stuff out as Iron Soul/Droid as well.

Oh and I found the Ramadanman/Pearson Sound interview I was talking about. It was a interview in Fact mag.

Ramadanman/Pearson Sound posted:

“Well the change to Pearson… it’s not like with Redlight, when he went from Clipz to Redlight, and totally changed his sound [from drum’n’bass], I’m not doing that. My process is more gradual, that’s why the CD has two names, that’s why bookings right now are as both names, but eventually they’ll be just Pearson. Plus I haven’t done that many tunes as Pearson still, so I want to get more out there… I figure that’s the best way to do it.”

So sounds like it'll end up just being Pearson Sound on the label in the near future.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
Liking this Disclosure EP a lot. The A is a light joint that drops a sweet bassline and turns into some wicked purpley synths with a stuttering vocal sample, while the AA is like a really good James Blake track (remember when he made those?).

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

GET MONEY posted:

Liking this Disclosure EP a lot. The A is a light joint that drops a sweet bassline and turns into some wicked purpley synths with a stuttering vocal sample, while the AA is like a really good James Blake track (remember when he made those?).

Actually we were just talking about this a page or two ago. I quite liked the A side, but I thought the B-side was just a bit of a James Blake knock-off. Though I was also casting doubts on the use of 7 inches, and if it's just a way to appeal to the record buying indie crowd or get some big label attention. Should've been stuck on a 12" :colbert: or a 10 for ultra cool bonus points.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

I'm not sure what their financial situation is but usually 7 inches are way cheaper to produce. I seriously doubt they are doing it just to appeal to some "indie" crowd.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Maguro posted:

I'm not sure what their financial situation is but usually 7 inches are way cheaper to produce. I seriously doubt they are doing it just to appeal to some "indie" crowd.

Oh sure they're cheaper to produce. Though actually nowhere near as cheap as they used to be, even just a few years ago. I think they've actually gone up a lot more compared to how much pressing on 12 has gone up. drat peak oil and war in the middle east! And here I used to think when vinyl got more popular and more people were pressing stuff up, it'd get cheaper!

But here's the thing, technically that type of music belongs in the modern dance genre, call it UK Bass or whatever have, and it's the 12 inches that rules in the scene and is what the DJs want. I rarely see a 7 inch pressed much at all, obviously I mean, barring the usual suspects like the indie/punk/guitar etc circles, and the soul and funk crowd(god bless the Italians and their love of Brazilian funk on 7s). So relatively unknown artist doing stuff in the style of famous artist who's managed to find a lot of appeal in the non-dance segment of music lovers, releases 7 inches on primarily indie labels. To me you go, okay, is this really aimed at the scene, and is it really an attempt to contribute positively to the health and well being of it? Or is it just an attempt of someone to climb up the back and get at something else?

Again I am very cynical and grouchy in general. I'm like one of those two old puppets in The Muppet Show.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
I just sampled the new Machinedrum album Room(s) and its pretty fantastic. I like it enough that I'm going to wait and get it on CD rather than digital. It really captures whats going on in bass music right now.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
Yeah I keep hearing good things about the Machinedrum album. I previewed it, and there were a couple of tracks that I really enjoyed - but I think I'll prob buy the vinyl maybe.

Question, when is Mosca's Bax coming out? It's a jam and it's getting spun a ton on Rinse.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Mz Bratt & Dot Rotten on a kinda hip hoppy thing, the raps are middling but I like the beat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F87VRzUJfo

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

a milk crime posted:

Yeah I keep hearing good things about the Machinedrum album. I previewed it, and there were a couple of tracks that I really enjoyed - but I think I'll prob buy the vinyl maybe.

Question, when is Mosca's Bax coming out? It's a jam and it's getting spun a ton on Rinse.

Hahahaha (from the uploader comments)

"mosca should tell these mcs to gently caress off. shame, heavy tune ruined by wank chat.

jhm5hs 1 month ago
@jhm5hs u listen to zomby

thedeejaymosca 1 month ago 11 (thumbs up)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Ras Het posted:

Mz Bratt & Dot Rotten on a kinda hip hoppy thing, the raps are middling but I like the beat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F87VRzUJfo

I've been liking this, propa summer vybez ting. And Mz Bratt :pervert:

Edit:

JamesKPolk posted:

Hahahaha (from the uploader comments)

"mosca should tell these mcs to gently caress off. shame, heavy tune ruined by wank chat.

jhm5hs 1 month ago
@jhm5hs u listen to zomby

thedeejaymosca 1 month ago 11 (thumbs up)"

Haha drat, I wish I had read the comments on that one.

Oh and Bax is out on Numbers sometime very soon.

28 Gun Bad Boy fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 26, 2011

• Locked thread