Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!
Hey guys, guess what! Thanks to text substitution and the new emoji support I now have this. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
So Launchpad doesn't respect your scroll-gesture preferences. It always uses "Natural" scrolling.

gently caress that poo poo.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Except Front Row but gently caress that.

What happens when you point an Apple remote at a Mac now?

Also, gently caress clean installing after all, I think I'm going to go ahead and download this baby tonight. This is exciting - despite using a Mac for nearly 5 years I've never been on a ground floor 10.x.0 update. :v:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

BlueFreshMarlboro posted:

Hmmm... I'm not entirely getting the launchpad love.

Hitting Command + Spacebar seems to work much better.

I don't know where you're seeing all this love. Most people here seem to not like it.

It's really not a feature meant for advanced users, which I'm pretty sure we would all qualify as. It's a great feature for novice users though. It makes things a lot easier for them.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Accipiter posted:

So there's this thing called Quicksilver that still works on Lion.

(poop)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Dan Hollis posted:

I've yet to see a solution, and it defeats the purpose of a launchpad for me.

Can't you just put the stuff you don't use in a folder, and arrange the stuff you use a lot to the first screen? it's a lot like an iPad screen - removing stuff would kind of defeat the purpose of Launchpad.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Two things I hate about the new Safari.

1: I remembers what sites I had open when I close it, and insists on going there again. I just want it to start with my actual start page, dammit!

2: It doesn't reload pages when I hit back, but just serves up a cached page. I loved the reload because it would update the post counters on your bookmarks page in SA's Control Panel.

Someone please tell me I'm stupid, and that I can change it in some setting I have missed. :(

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008
The one thing that continues to hinder my enjoyment of safari is the lack of being able to use site icons on the bookmark toolbar instead words. I can use the new emojicons but it isn't the same.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?
I know Adobe posted that there are some problems with drat near all of their applications in Lion. I rely pretty heavily on the Creative Suite for my job and I'm going to grad school in August and those programs are a must.

I really want to install Lion, but don't want to chance anything. Has anyone used any of the Creative Suite and noticed any deal breaker problems?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Accipiter posted:

So Launchpad doesn't respect your scroll-gesture preferences. It always uses "Natural" scrolling.

Uh, no, it doesn't. If yours is, you've encountered a bug or didn't actually turn off natural scrolling.

HorseDickSandwich posted:

I really want to install Lion, but don't want to chance anything. Has anyone used any of the Creative Suite and noticed any deal breaker problems?

There are no particularly exciting or show-stopping bugs in the flagship apps. Check out the KB article.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 21, 2011

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

Crowley posted:

1: I remembers what sites I had open when I close it, and insists on going there again. I just want it to start with my actual start page, dammit!

I think Safari was one of the few browsers that didn't have that feature as an option until very recently.

You can also hit Command + W until all your sites are closed then open Safari again.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

Crowley posted:

Have you changed pref -> New window open with to home page yet?

DirtyWorker
Jun 19, 2004

What is Afrika.. You can not comprehend, what afrika is!

Crowley posted:

2: It doesn't reload pages when I hit back, but just serves up a cached page. I loved the reload because it would update the post counters on your bookmarks page in SA's Control Panel.

Someone please tell me I'm stupid, and that I can change it in some setting I have missed. :(

One cool thing about the new safari (don't know if someone has posted it before), but, reading forums like this one in full screen on a 27" iMac is kinda taxing.

Turn this:

Into this by dragging the left or right side of the Safari window in towards the middle of the screen. :P

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

DirtyWorker posted:

One cool thing about the new safari (don't know if someone has posted it before), but, reading forums like this one in full screen on a 27" iMac is kinda taxing.

Turn this:

Into this by dragging the left or right side of the Safari window in towards the middle of the screen. :P

Do you always maximize the web browser window? Even on my 21.5" iMac that sounds ridiculous and unnecessary.

Cool feature though. :shobon:

DirtyWorker
Jun 19, 2004

What is Afrika.. You can not comprehend, what afrika is!

Space Racist posted:

Do you always maximize the web browser window? Even on my 21.5" iMac that sounds ridiculous and unnecessary.

Cool feature though. :shobon:

Love having it fullscreen. It's only a three-finger swipe away. :P Which is also a really good reason why using anything other then Lion after this will bring tears to my eyes.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Space Racist posted:

What happens when you point an Apple remote at a Mac now?
The Menu button does nothing but the other buttons still control media players you have.

I kind of liked Front Row, though, it had a nice interface. v:shobon:v

Mighty_Ferguson
Mar 29, 2004

AND IT GOES A LITTLE SOMETHING LIKE THIS
So it appears that the only print driver that worked with OS X for my Samsung ML-1740 printer was actually a Power PC based driver that used Rosetta to work. Now that Lion doesn't have Rosetta, I appear to be screwed. Having to buy a new printer isn't the end of the world, but my old one works perfectly well. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might be able to get it to work? I downloaded and installed the Samsung printer drivers from Apple and tried a couple of different drivers with similar model numbers (they don't have an exact match) and none of them have worked.

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

DirtyWorker posted:

Love having it fullscreen. It's only a three-finger swipe away. :P Which is also a really good reason why using anything other then Lion after this will bring tears to my eyes.

Well, most browsers, including Internet Explorer have the full screen option.

And why is it that Lion only seems to recognize my router's 2.4ghz broadcast and not the 5ghz one? I mean, it shows the 5ghz one...SOMETIMES, but very rarely. I have it configured to use both so it's a moot point, but what's going on here?

I also decided to decrypt my iMac. Doesn't seem to have much of a point if I'm not using it on a portable device...

BlueFreshMarlboro fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 21, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

HorseDickSandwich posted:

I know Adobe posted that there are some problems with drat near all of their applications in Lion. I rely pretty heavily on the Creative Suite for my job and I'm going to grad school in August and those programs are a must.

I've encountered no issues with Photoshop CS5.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Molten Llama posted:

There are no particularly exciting or show-stopping bugs in the flagship apps. Check out the KB article.
In case he wants some personal experience, I had to do some editing in Photoshop on a pre-release Lion box; worked fine.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

DirtyWorker posted:

Don't get me wrong, I like fullscreen apps even on iMac screens (iPhoto comes to mind), it's just that so few websites are formatted to make use of all that screen real estate that running Safari in fullscreen on a desktop wouldn't seem to have any tangible benefit. Just my personal preference.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Molten Llama posted:

Uh, no, it doesn't. If yours is, you've encountered a bug or didn't actually turn off natural scrolling.

I'm not saying it's not a bug, I'm describing the behavior. I'm not a moron.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
How far back does the Migration Assistant work with in Lion? I'm installing a new iMac at a client's soon replacing an older Mac, but I don't know how old it is or what version of OS X they have. Does it work with regular Leopard? Tiger?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Cool, Safari now has a type of instapaper built in.

http://www.macworld.com/article/161267/2011/07/safari51_lion.html#lsrc.rss_main

Macworld posted:

Reading List
Safari 5.1’s flagship feature is Reading List, which lets you “save” interesting articles for later reading. When you come across an article on the Web that you just don’t have time to read immediately, or that you want to keep around for later reference, you simply choose Bookmarks: Add To Reading List (or press Shift-Command-D), and that article is added to your list.

You can view your Reading List at any time—it appears as a sidebar on the left-hand side of the Safari window—by choosing View -> Show Reading list, by clicking the Reading List icon (which looks like a pair of eyeglasses) in Safari’s Bookmarks Bar, or by pressing Shift-Command-L. Your saved articles are listed here, each displaying the article title, the host site’s favicon (Web icon), and a two-line preview of the article’s content. Click any article in the list to view it in the main part of the Safari window.

Once Apple’s new iCloud service is up and running in the fall, and you’ve set up your iCloud account on all your Macs and iOS devices, your Reading List will be synchronized between all those devices in a manner similar to the way Safari bookmarks are currently synced via MobileMe. Add an article to your Reading List on your iPhone in this iCloud-driven future, and it will be waiting in Safari on your Mac once you get back to your desk.

Reading List is similar in principle to services such as Instapaper and Read It Later. But Reading List lacks many of the features that make these services so popular. For example, Reading List doesn’t store articles for offline viewing—when accessing a saved article in the Reading List, your computer must be connected to the Internet. Similarly, while Safari’s Reader feature lets you view an article in a format optimized for reading—bereft of ads and messy formatting, similar to the Readability Web service or Instapaper’s own Mobilizer—you can’t save this more-readable version to your Reading List. In other words, Reading List is in many ways just a prettified list of bookmarks.

Safari's Reading List feature lets you save articles for later reading.
In contrast, Instapaper also lets you organize saved articles into folders; share your lists of articles with friends; add articles to your list via email; and download articles in formats optimized for different devices. The Instapaper iOS app even tracks your current reading position when you switch between devices, and scores of Mac and iOS apps let you add articles to your Instapaper list without making you first open those articles in Safari. And, of course, Instapaper works in any browser, not just Safari.

In other words, as with support for RSS feeds (added in Safari 3), Apple has chosen to include a bare-bones, easy-to-use “read later” feature that will satisfy a good number of users but will leave more-advanced users wanting. Indeed, it’s likely that services such as Instapaper and Read It Later will actually gain users thanks to Reading List, as more people see the utility of a read-this-later feature but, frustrated with Reading List's limitations, look for better options.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
This whole keyboard/Pages debacle leaves me confused, but I guess I will have to wait until more people have the same problem. Also, I'm not sure how I feel about the Versions/Auto Save feature. Is there a way...to turn it off? For Pages at least?

thats the straight dope
Apr 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm hating full-screen mode. I use a 13 inch macbook pro with an external 24 inch monitor and it maximizes on the laptop no matter what (and disables the secondary). Any idea how to get around this?

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Has anyone who uses VMWare Fusion upgraded yet? If so, any problems? I'm not going to upgrade for a while but I need it for my university work.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

weese36 posted:

I'm hating full-screen mode. I use a 13 inch macbook pro with an external 24 inch monitor and it maximizes on the laptop no matter what (and disables the secondary). Any idea how to get around this?
No, you're not supposed to have a secondary screen. NO. It is NOT A POSSIBILITY.

Actually, have you tried putting your dock on the second screen? I'm on an iMac with the dock on the secondary screen (primary for me) and that's where fullscreen arrives.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

weese36 posted:

If you make your external display primary in the displays pref pane (drag the menu bar in the Arrangement tab) it will maximize to that instead. It will only maximize to the primary display and will always blank out the secondary.

Pretty useless, IMHO.

I hate how QuickTime uses this behavior. Oh well, guess I'll be using MPlayerX exclusively now.

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 21, 2011

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Frinkahedron posted:

Has anyone who uses VMWare Fusion upgraded yet? If so, any problems? I'm not going to upgrade for a while but I need it for my university work.

I did it last night. Fusion freaked out when I tried to run my bootcamp partition in a VM the first time but I just removed that partition from fusion then readded and it was fine.

TheState posted:

Do you mean something like Cmd + ` ?

No, I mean like Alt + Tab in windows. Just replace alt with cmd and it let's me move from app to app. No gestures for that eh?

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.

SnatchRabbit posted:

I did it last night. Fusion freaked out when I tried to run my bootcamp partition in a VM the first time but I just removed that partition from fusion then readded and it was fine.

No, I mean like Alt + Tab in windows. Just replace alt with cmd and it let's me move from app to app. No gestures for that eh?

Oh, gestures. Sorry. Thought you meant keystrokes. I'm stupid.

brandino
Apr 15, 2002

Tard Helmets posted:

The closest thing I can find to replicate this is to open an empty Spotlight search (option + command + space), click the + button to add a condition, add the condition for last modified (today/last week/etc) then Save the search. It'll ask you if you want to add it to the sidebar.

Thanks! That'll work

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Accipiter posted:

I'm not saying it's not a bug, I'm describing the behavior. I'm not a moron.

I'm assuming in the second picture you're moving your hand from right to left? If so that's the "non-natural" movement in launchpad. You're moving your hand to the left so launchpad is scrolling to the left.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Oneiros posted:

If you make your external display primary in the displays pref pane (drag the menu bar in the Arrangement tab) it will maximize to that instead. It will only maximize to the primary display and will always blank out the secondary.

Pretty useless, IMHO.

Yeah, I don't know why they don't let you use the second monitor. Full-screen terminal would be great to stick on a second monitor, but otherwise it's almost useless.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

FamDav posted:

I'm assuming in the second picture you're moving your hand from right to left? If so that's the "non-natural" movement in launchpad. You're moving your hand to the left so launchpad is scrolling to the left.

Augh this makes no sense. Click-scrolling in launchpad works properly but gesture scrolling doesn't. But it does. :bang:

Whatever, I'm never going to use launchpad anyway so I guess it's not THAT big a deal.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
I didn't see it in the OP. What's the preferred app for removing duplicates in iTunes? I'm currently using Pollux for all of my identification / album art but need to prune my library.

Groan Zone
Nov 21, 2004

chug-a-lug, donna
My biggest gripe with Safari right now is when in full screen and I hit +T to open a new tab it will auto-select either the title of the tab or nothing. Before it would auto-select the address field so I could quickly open a new tab and start typing an address. Now I have to hit +L or move the mouse.

That's about it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Is there any way to change the crummy looking grey cloth texture background that appears with the login screen or when you use MC?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Modern Pragmatist posted:

I didn't see it in the OP. What's the preferred app for removing duplicates in iTunes? I'm currently using Pollux for all of my identification / album art but need to prune my library.

What does this do for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Modern Pragmatist posted:

I think there's a built in menu option to "Show Duplicates" Have you tried that yet?