Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Not to mention they sell impact adapters as well, in case you just have a shitload of bolts you want to pull quickly with a 3/8" impact.

Seeing how expensive impact sockets are, I would just stick with a good 1/2" set and an adapter. If you really need both sets, the more reason to save money by picking up cheap ones at HF. I just buy the socket holders they sell and leave it in my toolbox, so no need for fancy packaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Thompson
Jul 24, 2007

Geoj posted:

Also, is there any reason you need 3/8 drive impact sockets...? I would just buy the 1/2" drive set.

The only reasons why I wanted the 3/8 drive is because I have a 3/8 drive impact also which is smaller and easily gets into tight spaces and I have a 3/8 drive air ratchet that I prefer to use impact sockets on rather than normal sockets.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Also using an impact gun with adapters takes the stink out of it. The more adapters the less POWAR.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

POWAR.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Bank posted:

I just buy the socket holders they sell and leave it in my toolbox, so no need for fancy packaging.

I'm not saying I wouldn't buy HF sockets anymore just because they don't come with a carry case, just that it was one of the two relatively insignificant problems I have with them. Functionally they're fine.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Agreed -- that was directed towards anyone that would rather pay double for sockets just for a case.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

joehein posted:

well student discount got it to me for half off, but im still paying 2 grand for it. total shipping weight was 497 pounds which me and a buddy managed to lift into a truck bed, and i picked white because nobody else has white and i figured it would look nice. all in all im pretty drat happy with the tools.

you're right, nobody else has a white toolbox and theres a good reason for that. i hope you have fun cleaning the fucker every single day at the end of work. :D

nice box though, i'm jealous.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Lots of 4th of July sales going on this weekend. Ace Hardware has a nice Craftsman 104 pc. mechanics socket set for $39.99 (wtf did Sears buy Ace?): http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=3074419 Seems like a great starter set for cheap. For that price I wouldn't feel bad getting one to keep in the car.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

mod sassinator posted:

(wtf did Sears buy Ace?)

Not sure, but they had a shitload of Craftsman there last time I went in (about two weeks ago).

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Sears didn't buy Ace- Ace is franchised. The three I visit have been carrying Craftsman tools for the last several months. Well, two of them, at least. Didn't take the time to check the third.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Ace is just carrying Craftsman: http://www.brandlandusa.com/2010/03/10/ace-hardware-the-place-for-sears-craftsman/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Huh, thatwhole article is bitching that the brand is somehow diminished by being sold in other stores. Well, not Craftsman, but Sears. Seems to me that selling tools is good for buisness no matter who you self the tools to.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
I was going to say, Craftsman has been doing a good enough job of that themselves lately.

Although otherwise I would agree with the sentiment. Maybe its different elsewhere but every time I walk into an Ace by me it feels like the difference between going into a drug store like Walgreens or CVS rather than a normal grocery store. Yeah, they might have what you need but the selection is limited, typically lower quality than what you'd get elsewhere and at a higher price.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 2, 2011

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Ace always seems to have a better selection of nuts and bolts compared to Lowe Depot.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

PBCrunch posted:

Ace always seems to have a better selection of nuts and bolts compared to Lowe Depot.

This and it's around the block from me instead of 3 miles away. Ace first, then Menards or Home Depot.

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So, funnels.

Clean Funnels are slick. They have caps on both ends for keeping dirt and crap out, and for keeping the last bits of whatever fluid in. They come in a zillion sizes.

I had trouble finding them locally, though NAPA did have one. Clean Funnel has an ugly website and pretty decent direct pricing: http://www.cleanfunnel.com/hp_zencart/index.php

Fleet Farm has them too: http://www.fleetfarm.com/search/greatfunnel

The green funnel pictured is #428, and it or the non-bendy #328 are the right size for wedging in larger oil filler necks, or at least on newer GM trucks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Let's do this!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Powershift posted:

Let's do this!

Needs a pipe on the end of the t-handle.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

PBCrunch posted:

There's almost no comparison. Even the small Ace that's right by my house carries a better variety of fasteners and such. The much larger Ace near where I work is widget heaven. I love it. The only thing they haven't carried so far that I've needed were some odd trim screws I needed for my glovebox.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

The Cubelodyte posted:

There's almost no comparison. Even the small Ace that's right by my house carries a better variety of fasteners and such. The much larger Ace near where I work is widget heaven. I love it. The only thing they haven't carried so far that I've needed were some odd trim screws I needed for my glovebox.
I was really saddened when the TruValue right down the road from me closed; they were extremely convenient for small things and had an amazing wall of fasteners; their nails-by-the-pound were cheaper than the big box, too. I was constantly hitting them up for some odd piece I didn't want to have to drive 30 minutes further to the big box and burn $5 worth of gas to save $2 for. I should just be happy I have another corner hardware store not much further in the other direction, but I fear he's not going to be there much longer either. (Actually, more than a fear- the building is slated for demo in an upcoming road project...)

Footwork
May 15, 2011

by Ozmaugh
^^^

:holymoley:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Having only two ears legs, and two arms, it's hard to drive more than one vehicle at a time. That said, everything modern has at least a slight drain when not being driven.

I'm a bit strange, and I refuse to drive one of my cars (the NICE car) during the winter. I've had it on a random 2A trickle charge, but I somehow still managed to let the battery get under 10v, and hence, it's not trustworthy anymore. Well, that was an expensive 'thought I was on top of it' - turns out I accidentally left the drat XM radio for a few hours turned down when I went to grab the phone. :suicide:

So, after doing a bit of research, I picked up some float chargers, which work amazingly well - they don't overcharge (they cut off at about 12.35v), wont charge a dead battery (until it has at least 9v - even if I'd consider that DoC (dead on crank)) and they'll feed it 850mA up to that point of 12.35v.

What's better is I have a $5 off coupon that's good through July, so they're only $4.99. The coupon code is: 33253543.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
got my new fuckin ratchet and free sockets today

pictured with a size 10 and a half shoe

i could club people with this thing

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Viggen posted:

So, after doing a bit of research, I picked up some float chargers, which work amazingly well - they don't overcharge (they cut off at about 12.35v), wont charge a dead battery (until it has at least 9v - even if I'd consider that DoC (dead on crank)) and they'll feed it 850mA up to that point of 12.35v.

What's better is I have a $5 off coupon that's good through July, so they're only $4.99. The coupon code is: 33253543.

This little guy works. I have 3 of them to keep boat batteries over the winter in the basement. Spring time they work perfectly. Well worth 5 dollars.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Hello!

I'm looking to buy a set of these on ebay, but I can't for the life of me find out what they're called in english! Can someone help me?

Picture:

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

afen posted:

Hello!

I'm looking to buy a set of these on ebay, but I can't for the life of me find out what they're called in english! Can someone help me?

Picture:

Try swivel socket wrench

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Can anyone tell me about at-home powdercoating? From what I've read, it seems really easy to do. Strip it bare, clean and rough it up a little, coat it, then bake it to flow and cure it. Gun kits at HF are only like 70 bucks, and I could probably find a cheap oven on craigslist and use a probe to keep the temperature straight. Anyone else worked with these before?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Don't do it in the house. Not only does it stink but it's toxic. And you have the right idea with a spare oven, because it will always smell that way after the first time.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

Don't do it in the house. Not only does it stink but it's toxic. And you have the right idea with a spare oven, because it will always smell that way after the first time.
Haha yeah. The stove in my house is a newer nice one I'd rather not ruin, and there's a ton of electric ovens around Phoenix for <$100. I guess I'd want to make a little plate across the bottom so the coils aren't directly heating the parts as much as the air, and convection ovens seem to be ideal, even if you just add a little fan yourself. Neither I or my friends have a truck so I'd have to figure out something with that too.

I was planning on using this for little brackets and stuff mainly, but I'd like to try some wheels I have been repairing and stripping too.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Has anyone done a comparison of Por15 vs powder coating? Yeah, I know you get more color options out of powder coating, but I don't find powder coating nearly as hard as a layer of por15 epoxy paint.

If you are doing just brackets like that, get a small can of por15 and see what you think of that.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

ASSTASTIC posted:

Has anyone done a comparison of Por15 vs powder coating? Yeah, I know you get more color options out of powder coating, but I don't find powder coating nearly as hard as a layer of por15 epoxy paint.

If you are doing just brackets like that, get a small can of por15 and see what you think of that.

I've done a lot for POR-15 in the past and it's definitely very hard and durable, but turns to poo poo if it's something exposed to sunlight unless you top-coat, and that kind of defeats the purpose of using a very tough coating like powder or POR if it will just have weak regular paint on top. Not to mention POR-15 is expensive as gently caress and I wouldn't even be taking any advantage of it's rust neutralization/protection. I'd probably do just as well with any other epoxy paint as POR for this situation.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
The actual integrity of POR doesn't go away with UV exposure, it just turns ash colored. The HUGE problem with powdercoating is if there is existing rust or a break/chip in the coating, rust spreads under it and it all just falls off.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
In my opinion, if you are using por15 on exterior parts/exposed UV parts, you should be top coating anyway. I've worked with both por15 and powder coated stuff and I found the por15 to be a LOT more durable and not that expensive if you are deciding to buy your own oven and powder coating setup at home. I bought a quart for $40.00 and I got a A LOT of coverage out of it (painted the interior cab of my truck, small parts and parts of the underside of my truck as well).

The only real disadvantage of por15 imo is that you have to REALLY seal it well and to preserve it you want to put it in the refrigerator.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ASSTASTIC posted:

The only real disadvantage of por15 imo is that you have to REALLY seal it well and to preserve it you want to put it in the refrigerator.

I used to transfer mine into a glass container so I could get the drat lid off again, but somebody (on here, maybe) mentioned just putting a piece of plastic between the lid and can - genius. I also put mine in a vacuum bag and run it through the sealer and it seems to last just fine.

I hadn't thought about the fridge. I suppose I can spare some beer space in the shop fridge for a couple cans of POR. Its easier than bringing it inside to use the sealer on it.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I made this "spacer" for my rolling tool cabinet. It's made from black Delrin and 30x30x2 aluminum angle stock, and is 40 mm tall. It greatly increases the space on which you can put tools while you're working, as you can just leave one end out.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Motronic posted:

I used to transfer mine into a glass container so I could get the drat lid off again, but somebody (on here, maybe) mentioned just putting a piece of plastic between the lid and can - genius. I also put mine in a vacuum bag and run it through the sealer and it seems to last just fine.

The may have been me. It's mentioned in the instructions, and it works beautifully. It's right with the warnings not to shake the can, not to dip the brush directly into the can and that if a bead of sweat falls in the can, you may as well throw the whole thing out.

Also, dried POR15 on skin can only be surgically removed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KozmoNaut posted:

Also, dried POR15 on skin can only be surgically removed.

My buddy used his power sander to get it off his skin.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Rhyno posted:

My buddy used his power sander to get it off his skin.

Shaving razors are probably the quickest way I've found to get rid of it. Helps if it's not on hairy parts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lowclock posted:

Shaving razors are probably the quickest way I've found to get rid of it. Helps if it's not on hairy parts.

I'll remember that the next time he goops himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I used up my gift card at Harbor Freight yesterday and got one of their new Pittsburg Pro 3/8" ratchets.

I loving love the feel of this thing, and it feels much higher quality than my craftsman ratchet (though that one's a bit longer).

I'm not used to their stuff feeling like such high quality... does anybody else have any real-life experience with these?