Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
Anyone here say gently caress it and just get a degree from excelsior?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

TheUnhorse posted:

Anyone here say gently caress it and just get a degree from excelsior?

No, because I actually need the classes.

If you *know* that you will never use anything from college, go for it I guess.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Yeah honestly all of the jobs I'm looking at seem to view a degree as "check the box" type of thing. I think I'm going to go for it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

TheUnhorse posted:

Yeah honestly all of the jobs I'm looking at seem to view a degree as "check the box" type of thing. I think I'm going to go for it.

It varies extensively depending on your career field. I'm trying to get into federal law enforcement and although my military experience is just about all I need, having a real-boy degree is pretty much required. If I go down my second choice of veteran's advocacy then I need to get my MSW. So I'm double hosed.

But if you're in one of those fields where OJT/whatever is 99.9% of your job and people just require a degree for shits, you might as well take the path of least resistance.

edit: To those who are on the fence between a for-profit diploma mill and a real school, go to a real school. Diploma mills are for career fields like the trades where a degree can be completely irrelevant to anything other than the above mentioned check in the box. Go to school.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 18, 2011

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

What agencies are you applying to and what experience do you bring? I know a few dudes who got picked up by the FBI, one that got picked up by USSS, and another that went civilian side AFOSI, they were all rocking excelsior or umuc degrees, but all brought 4-5 years of humint/sigint/language experience with them.

Personally Id like to contract for a while, then go to either FBI or USSS. Maybe ICE but I noticed you don't need a TS right out the gate, not sure how I feel about that.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

If anything, its like those fuckers who take convincing to finish college while trying to "go pro" in the world of sports. It may not be needed now but I'd sure as poo poo like something worthwhile to fall back on in case Option A doesn't pan out.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

TheUnhorse posted:

What agencies are you applying to and what experience do you bring? I know a few dudes who got picked up by the FBI, one that got picked up by USSS, and another that went civilian side AFOSI, they were all rocking excelsior or umuc degrees, but all brought 4-5 years of humint/sigint/language experience with them.

Personally Id like to contract for a while, then go to either FBI or USSS. Maybe ICE but I noticed you don't need a TS right out the gate, not sure how I feel about that.

I'm looking into ICE or state department right now, but I'll take anything with an 1811 designation. I've got generic combat experience + expired TS + soon to be completed Sociology degree with a focus on quantitative analysis. And references out the rear end.

edit: changed 1801 to 1811. Though 1801 wouldn't be terrible I suppose.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 21, 2011

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Vasudus do you know if there is a difference between eligible classes for the gi bill and voc rehab?

I am going back to get an engineering degree. I am starting at one school and planning to transfer to another after a year. The school I am starting at doesn't have the program I want. I am trying to take classes that would apply to my final school. These don't always align with the class road map for my declared major at the first school.

I am almost done with the voc rehab paperwork which I thought would be my best chance to have uncle sugar pay for this. I sent in the gi bill paperwork as a back up. Turns out that I do get 100% gi bill, so I thought I would just use that since I wouldn't have to answer to a counselor.

I talked to the VA office on campus and they told me that the gi bill will only cover classes that apply to my stated degree goal and they won't pay for any classes you retake, which I would love to do.

If I was to go in undeclared could I just take whatever I need? Does voc rehab have the same rules?

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm in kind of a lovely situation with college now, due in no small part to my greed.

When I left last December, I was 1 quarter from finishing school and transferring (would have gone to the University of Washington; extremely competitive but Washington States junior college system has a transfer system in place and I was rocking a 3.8GPA). And then, as mentioned, I left. I have 0 options to finish distance, because that last quarter contains German II. 2 quarters of a foreign language are required to gain the transfer program "degree" or whatever you would call it. It's possible UW will accept me without finishing, but it is much less likely because they are really shifty (giving most of their spots to out of state students because they get way more tuition money; it's so bad that the state is threatening to take them to court). Additionally, having never taken the SAT, and having an uncompleted (no matter how high the GPA) associates, I can't very well just go to a major college elsewhere.

So my only options is to basically come back and live in Seattle, commuting the 45 minutes to my current campus so I can finish there, and then doing my year and a quarter or so at the UW Seattle campus before moving on to grad school somewhere. The problem is, I'm tired of Seattle. I don't like the women and there's very little to do outside of the good 3 months of the year. I'd love to live in NYC but I doubt NYU is letting me in given that situation, and I'd rather try to get into B School there. So I'm stuck in ugly city.

Oh well, I guess you take the good with the bad. At least instead of 10k in savings like after the military I'll have a few hundred thousand this time. The school should just let me buy a degree for 50k or something.

(This post is like the most Middle Class Problem thing ever. At least it's been cathartic.)

Rrail fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 21, 2011

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

I talked to the VA office on campus and they told me that the gi bill will only cover classes that apply to my stated degree goal and they won't pay for any classes you retake, which I would love to do.

If I was to go in undeclared could I just take whatever I need? Does voc rehab have the same rules?

I went to school as a math major but needed econ/finance courses for an actuarial career, at a school with no actuarial science major. I just kept switching my second declared major every semester for VA purposes and dropped it at the end.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Vasudus do you know if there is a difference between eligible classes for the gi bill and voc rehab?

I am going back to get an engineering degree. I am starting at one school and planning to transfer to another after a year. The school I am starting at doesn't have the program I want. I am trying to take classes that would apply to my final school. These don't always align with the class road map for my declared major at the first school.

I am almost done with the voc rehab paperwork which I thought would be my best chance to have uncle sugar pay for this. I sent in the gi bill paperwork as a back up. Turns out that I do get 100% gi bill, so I thought I would just use that since I wouldn't have to answer to a counselor.

VA don't give a poo poo with the GI Bill. I've got vets coming to take our EMT class and disappear into the nether or some random seminar. I've got people that retake classes all the time. Sounds to me like your vet office is trying to scare you, which is understandable because many vets tend to abuse the GI Bill and not take the opportunity seriously.

Voc Rehab, on the other hand is pretty different as you know.

Rrail posted:

I'm in kind of a lovely situation with college now, due in no small part to my greed.

When I left last December, I was 1 quarter from finishing school and transferring (would have gone to the University of Washington; extremely competitive but Washington States junior college system has a transfer system in place and I was rocking a 3.8GPA). And then, as mentioned, I left. I have 0 options to finish distance, because that last quarter contains German II. 2 quarters of a foreign language are required to gain the transfer program "degree" or whatever you would call it. It's possible UW will accept me without finishing, but it is much less likely because they are really shifty (giving most of their spots to out of state students because they get way more tuition money; it's so bad that the state is threatening to take them to court). Additionally, having never taken the SAT, and having an uncompleted (no matter how high the GPA) associates, I can't very well just go to a major college elsewhere.

So my only options is to basically come back and live in Seattle, commuting the 45 minutes to my current campus so I can finish there, and then doing my year and a quarter or so at the UW Seattle campus before moving on to grad school somewhere. The problem is, I'm tired of Seattle. I don't like the women and there's very little to do outside of the good 3 months of the year. I'd love to live in NYC but I doubt NYU is letting me in given that situation, and I'd rather try to get into B School there. So I'm stuck in ugly city.

Oh well, I guess you take the good with the bad. At least instead of 10k in savings like after the military I'll have a few hundred thousand this time. The school should just let me buy a degree for 50k or something.

(This post is like the most Middle Class Problem thing ever. At least it's been cathartic.)

So you have ~57 credits with a 3.8 GPA? Sounds like you aren't as hosed as you believe. You don't have just about an associates, you have 57 credits. It's almost an associates at that school. You can totally go to another school anywhere you want as a transfer student.

I'm a semester away from my bachelors. I never got an associates.

Your options from what I see are as follows:
1) Commute to campus 45 minutes for a semester and end up getting your AA
1a) Transfer to UW
1b) Transfer elsewhere

2) Start trying to transfer now, possibly taking either the SAT or ACT depending on the school. Commute to campus in the meantime to continue working on option 1.

Transcripts and applications are cheap.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I remember a website I used to prep for two CLEP tests I took, they had practice tests and study guides.

I don't remember what the frigging website is, just that I got to it through some veteran's resource. Anyone want to help my totally useless, incredibly vague question?

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vasudus posted:

Your options from what I see are as follows:
1) Commute to campus 45 minutes for a semester and end up getting your AA
1a) Transfer to UW
1b) Transfer elsewhere

2) Start trying to transfer now, possibly taking either the SAT or ACT depending on the school. Commute to campus in the meantime to continue working on option 1.

Transcripts and applications are cheap.

I'm working overseas right now but I will look into that when I come back. I'm kind of afraid to take the SAT's this late in life, I'm like 8 years out of high school, I don't remember poo poo. I'd have to study for the ACT/SATs for sure.

I hate how long school takes, I'm going to be like 28 when I finish undergrad and like 30 by the time I finish B-School, if I go that route. I wish there was an option for me to work on my degree while abroad.

Rrail fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 21, 2011

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Rrail posted:

I'm working overseas right now but I will look into that when I come back. I'm kind of afraid to take the SAT's this late in life, I'm like 8 years out of high school, I don't remember poo poo. I'd have to study for the ACT/SATs for sure.

Neither test is incredibly more difficult than the ASVAB. Spend $50 of your contractor dollars and get a study guide.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Veins McGee posted:

Neither test is incredibly more difficult than the ASVAB. Spend $50 of your contractor dollars and get a study guide.

Oh. I was under the impression that they were actually pretty challenging.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

GD_American posted:

I remember a website I used to prep for two CLEP tests I took, they had practice tests and study guides.

I don't remember what the frigging website is, just that I got to it through some veteran's resource. Anyone want to help my totally useless, incredibly vague question?

Was it petersens? Its like... petersens.com/dod or something right?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Voc Rehab does not have the same rules. You take an aptitude and interest test, you set a goal, follow up every semester with your counselor, may (or may not) need permission for certain electives (they won't buy you a baby grand piano for music lessons), etc. You need to keep your GPA reasonable, as well. So yes, there are requirements.

Use the GI Bill. If you get serious halfway through and run out, apply for voc rehab again for another 12 months of benefits.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

TheUnhorse posted:

Was it petersens? Its like... petersens.com/dod or something right?

That's it.

I guess better hurry up, cuz:

http://www.nelnetsolutions.com/dod/DODDiscProducts.aspx

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Vasudus posted:

VA don't give a poo poo with the GI Bill. I've got vets coming to take our EMT class and disappear into the nether or some random seminar. I've got people that retake classes all the time. Sounds to me like your vet office is trying to scare you, which is understandable because many vets tend to abuse the GI Bill and not take the opportunity seriously.

Voc Rehab, on the other hand is pretty different as you know.

She said the only way the va would certify a class that I already have credit for would be to already be taking 12 hours of classes I need so that the retaken class is over 12. She said that once you're over 12 it doesn't matter. Or I can go get a letter from an academic adviser that says I need to take it. Then she told me that the office gets audited by the va and they have to cover their rear end. Seemed a rather convincing story. Does that sound right?

I think that I'll just go in as undeclared.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

She said the only way the va would certify a class that I already have credit for would be to already be taking 12 hours of classes I need so that the retaken class is over 12. She said that once you're over 12 it doesn't matter. Or I can go get a letter from an academic adviser that says I need to take it. Then she told me that the office gets audited by the va and they have to cover their rear end. Seemed a rather convincing story. Does that sound right?

I think that I'll just go in as undeclared.

No it's correct, they're just a bunch of pussies. I've done quite a few audits and passed with flying colors. Sorry to hear that your office is scared of their own shadow.

And yeah, 12+ is billed out the same. We certify 12 credits always even if you're taking 15 or 18, because if you drop a class later but remain full time we don't have to change the certificate.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
What's the deal with break pay? Does it count against my total eligibility? Or is it BAH for a month, like December, in which I attended school for only part of the time?

How do I figure out how many months of benefits I have left? I looked on WAVE but it doesn't appear that the website updates for Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Veins McGee posted:

What's the deal with break pay? Does it count against my total eligibility? Or is it BAH for a month, like December, in which I attended school for only part of the time?

How do I figure out how many months of benefits I have left? I looked on WAVE but it doesn't appear that the website updates for Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Break pay (called Interval Pay) is going away as of 1 August. Right now, you do like 13 days of class in a month, you get paid for the whole month and use 13 days of benefits. After 1 August, you do 13 days in a month you get paid for 13 days and use 13 days of benefits.

You can find out how much time you have exactly by either calling (1-888-442-4551) or using the 'Ask a Question' feature on the VA website. They'll tell you in benefit months/days as of the end of your current certificate.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Rrail posted:

Oh. I was under the impression that they were actually pretty challenging.

I'd say its somewhere in the vicinity of Advancement Exams and the ASVAB.

Just different material, but its presented in the same 2 OF THESE ANSWERS ARE loving RETARDED DO NOT PICK THESE manner. Apparently there is some writing section on the SAT's now a days, which is kind of retarded. But I agree with the Study Guide sentiment.

Allia
Oct 6, 2010

Rrail posted:

Does any CC in Washinton offer German II online? Not only do you not need an AA to trasnfer, but your units don't have to be from the same community college. I just transfered to a Cal State as a junior and I had course work from eight different schools. I did it all online, and though the majority of my credits are from one school, they didn't offer certain requirements online, so I took classes at other schools. Washington may be different, for all I know, but from talking with other people, it's no big deal to 1) take a class at a different community college and have it count towards your transfer requirement and 2) not to have an AA as long as you meet the transfer requirements.

And the SAT is no big deal. I found it easier than the ASVAB, but that's only because I know nothing about mechanics and woodshop and cars. You might not even have to take that new writing portion, and if you go in as a transfer student, the schools probably aren't going to require the SAT/ACT.

Also, I probably have to miss this year of college, AND the major I want is a five year major, so I'll probably be turning 29 when I'm finished and qualified. And then I have 4 years of vet school, making me 33, if I get in immediately, if I take all the required courses in my major and pre-vet, and the Army doesn't screw it up (which it will).

School takes a long time, but with the way people keep on going back and finishing or starting new degrees, there seem to be more "older" students. So don't stress.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
I never took the SAT/ACT and was accepted to a state university because I had been out of high school >5 years

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I took the ACT back in 2008 and I got a 30 on it without any studying or such.

I forgot entirely that it wasn't based off a 100 point scale and actually went 'oh, figures' before I realized that it was actually really good.

As a transfer student you likely will not have to take either the ACT or SAT. Grad school though, prepare to take the GRE or GMAT.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
To clarify, I was admitted as a new freshman, not a transfer student and the SAT/ACT were still waived

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

moker posted:

To clarify, I was admitted as a new freshman, not a transfer student and the SAT/ACT were still waived

Like on what grounds did they admit you? What did they judge you based off of?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Rrail posted:

From what I read(this was 2 years ago), a lot of admissions places like to see passion in students about their university. A lot of high school students apply to 20 different colleges, so colleges are more quickly to dismiss them based on stats alone. I'm sure being a non-traditional student, and growing up quickly over the course of 4-6 years definitely helps as well.

For example, I had a poo poo GPA in HS(2.8), and applied to both Northeastern University and UMass-Amherst. Umass didn't ask for an essay but for Northeastern, I wrote about my military experiences tying into growing up along with visiting a few friends there and sitting in on a few courses while on leave. I actually ended up getting rejected from Umass but accepted by Northeastern, which is a top-100 school.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Rrail posted:

High school GPA I guess.....they didn't outright accept me to mechanical engineering but "engineering undeclared" which I was able to change after a year of good grades and poo poo

I don't know if military experience had anything to do with it but of the 64 credits they "took" zero applied to my degree(I had 130 total from the military(lol))

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Keep in mind this is also all moot if you've completed even one credit at an accredited school. From then on you're a transfer student and the rules are different. You shouldn't have to take the ACT/SAT if you're a transfer student.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Vasudus, just wondering if you could confirm what the GI Bill debt collection people told me. I took the advance payment in fall 09, finished the semester, and went to Afghanistan as a contractor for the past year. I got back and saw there was a $3000 collections account against me, FedDebt says it has been transferred to a private debt collections company. The GI Bill debt collection people said if I go back to school it will get pulled back out of collections and recouped from my benefits. Is this true?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Pudgygiant posted:

Vasudus, just wondering if you could confirm what the GI Bill debt collection people told me. I took the advance payment in fall 09, finished the semester, and went to Afghanistan as a contractor for the past year. I got back and saw there was a $3000 collections account against me, FedDebt says it has been transferred to a private debt collections company. The GI Bill debt collection people said if I go back to school it will get pulled back out of collections and recouped from my benefits. Is this true?

Yep. They took 750/month for 4 months from my April-July '10 payments. I don't know if they'll take that much from you, my BAH here is 2225. Might take longer to pay off.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Should I have anything to worry about for this or will the school take care of it? I do not want the VA raping me of money.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
I really hope the VA doesn't find out I stopped going to my first summer class but I'm sure they loving will :(

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Roving Reporter posted:

Should I have anything to worry about for this or will the school take care of it? I do not want the VA raping me of money.

It's the school's problem.

moker posted:

I really hope the VA doesn't find out I stopped going to my first summer class but I'm sure they loving will :(

Why did you stop going?

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

front wing flexing posted:

Why did you stop going?

Nothing that will be seen as legitimate if they find out

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

moker posted:

Nothing that will be seen as legitimate if they find out

That sucks, sorry dude.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

front wing flexing posted:

That sucks, sorry dude.

Isn't there a separate code they put on your grade if you stop going though? I was given an F but got an email that I'm supposed to pay back a small grant so I dunno :x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

For post 9/11 GI Bill...The website says that for online only you get half the national average. What if you're doing some locally and some online? How does that work? Can that even work?

• Locked thread