Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???
Pycelle dies.
Quentyn Martell commits dragon-assisted suicide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

withak posted:

"Dany shits. Alot."

The grass of the Dothraki sea was turning brown as winter was coming Dany had the spritz shits and was unleashing spray dook on all that lay before her.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

Tony Danza Claus posted:

The grass of the Dothraki sea was turning brown as winter was coming Dany had the spritz shits and was unleashing spray dook on all that lay before behind her.

Fixed that for you.

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

CORN NOG fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 26, 2020

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Tony Danza Claus posted:

In book 6 Darkstar hooks up with Chella and no one in Westeros is getting out of this with both ears intact.

Then Zombie Gregor, Zombie Cat, and Zombie Jon all rise up against him and bite Darkstar, who, because GRRM loves defying conventions, dies from the bite, but DOESN'T resurrect.

Meanwhile, Bran wargs into Dany right as Daario is nailing her in the pooper, and he decides he never wants to warg again and all the weirwoods die, removing the Others' source of power.

Lastly, Tommen "Ralph Wiggum" Lannister appoints Ser Pounce to the Kingsguard in place of Kettleblack, and Sansa and Arya and Littlefinger raid King's Landing, and Tommen is beheaded by Ser Pounce in an ironic twist. We then find out Varys was behind the whole thing. Because Varys is actually the mad king Aerys Targaryen in disguise (we never saw them in the same place).

In fact all the Targaryens are alive. Except for Viserys. He's a zombie.

... But then the nWo, who's been tearing poo poo up in Valariya (they caused the doom), with Hollowood Hogan in front, comes in and just throws everyone into the bay of seals, and they fart on them! But Shawn Michals turn on them 'cause he wants to sit in the iron throne himself! But then Vince Russo shows up with a TANK!

SWIRVE!

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

About greyscale, it really is a fantastical disease. When Connington hacks that one guys arm off, sparks are said to show, like metal on metal. I don't someone can get that callused in real life. Besides that, fantasy leprosy equivalent.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
I don't get the significance of the floor and walls being covered with bones in the entrance to the Children's cave. In addition, everyone seems to be making a big deal of Bloodraven being the "Last Greenseer", but then Bran is described seeing a huge room all filled with weir-people, who are clearly still alive. Are they just become too much tree to be considered human at all anymore?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you would have told me one month ago that explosive, bloody diarrhea was going to be a motif of the new book I would have called you crazy. And yet here we are.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

euphronius posted:

If you would have told me one month ago that explosive, bloody diarrhea was going to be a motif of the new book I would have called you crazy. And yet here we are.

Someone should photoshop that as a dust jacket blurb.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

It was like the Colosseum in Rome and we were the Christians." - Bobby Dodd, on playing at LSU's Tiger Stadium

Smashurbanipal posted:

I don't get the significance of the floor and walls being covered with bones in the entrance to the Children's cave. In addition, everyone seems to be making a big deal of Bloodraven being the "Last Greenseer", but then Bran is described seeing a huge room all filled with weir-people, who are clearly still alive. Are they just become too much tree to be considered human at all anymore?

Bones - I dunno, the children have to eat something I guess.

I think those were kids retiring into trees maybe?

Diddie posted:

Pycelle dies.
I really hate how this wasn't given any attention or time in the book. Kevan gets a ton of both, but Pycelle is pretty much a 1-liner. I would have really liked to have seen a chapter between Pycelle's and Kevan's death so that poor old Pycelle could have a little attention, and maybe show some heightened distrust between Lannister and Tyrell.

His death just felt too rushed and too insignificant for a pretty major player throughout 5 books. Especially after the HBO series and his last scene in it.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

To be fair, this is one of the few fantasy series I've read that describes the problems of large scale war effectively. Supply lines, food shortages, disease, etc. The fixation on food should come as no surprise considering the author, but dysentery has been the bane of many an army. It's actually appropriate, Danaerys last chapter notwithstanding.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"

Aurubin posted:

To be fair, this is one of the few fantasy series I've read that describes the problems of large scale war effectively. Supply lines, food shortages, disease, etc. The fixation on food should come as no surprise considering the author, but dysentery has been the bane of many an army. It's actually appropriate, Danaerys last chapter notwithstanding.

The Prince of Nothing of series by RR Scott Baker has a ton of that. It also has a ton more rape. Hard to fathom, I know.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

furushotakeru posted:

Fixed that for you.

To spray dook on what's behind you, you must spray dook on what's ahead.

Also, Daario.

- the sum of the Dany chapters

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
New favorite theory: Bran actually becomming THE Other, master of the scary poo poo north off the wall.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Daenerys Dooksprayer, the First of Her Name

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Finished it, liked it better than AFFC, but I think that's just lowered expectations. I don't mind the "nothing happens" issue because these two books weren't even supposed to have been written. The 5YG was supposed to be about everything cooling down and the surviving kids growing up and getting everyone in place for the next trilogy - in other words, that nothing important was supposed to happen during the era of these books is something that was in the original plan. ADWD was even worse than AFFC in this regard because it covers the exact same time as AFFC, so we already know that nothing unexpectedly world-shaking happens during this book (until the end).

That said, stack ADWD and AFFC on top of each other, and it's hard to make the case that it was a good use of 1900 pages and 10 years. I suppose the best thing is the 5YG books are over and done with, and now we can move on to books that properly advance the storyline.

As for Varys, I thought it was obvious that he has been working for a Targaryan restoration since the first book (when Arya overheard his conversation with Illyrio). He's been waiting for the Targaryan heirs to grow up enough to make credible rulers, and he's arranged it so that the seven kingdoms will be fractured and exhausted, and the peasants will be delighted that ANYONE is putting an end to the rapine and looting and burning so they can maybe bring in the harvest before everyone starves. Not quite sure why he's so darn loyal to the Targs, but I suppose he has his reasons (prediction: they'll be laid out in a POV chapter in the second half of book 7).

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Ray_ posted:

Especially after the HBO series and his last scene in it.

Well at least it will establish Tyrion's ambush of Pycelle next season

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I imagine I'm skirting the line of Bad Thread nostalgia, but why, psychologically, psychologically, sociologically, etc. does war=rape? I get that violence and sex are primal instincts, but i really don't see heightened adrenaline/fight-or-flight responses leading to an erection. Then again I've never been in war, so what do I know?

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Aurubin posted:

I imagine I'm skirting the line of Bad Thread nostalgia, but why, psychologically, psychologically, sociologically, etc. does war=rape? I get that violence and sex are primal instincts, but i really don't see heightened adrenaline/fight-or-flight responses leading to an erection. Then again I've never been in war, so what do I know?

Its about power and domination over your enemies and those weaker than you.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Aurubin posted:

Apparently the whole war and adrenaline and life-threatening situation thing also does crazy poo poo to your mental state.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

The Prince of Nothing of series by RR Scott Baker has a ton of that. It also has a ton more rape. Hard to fathom, I know.

Also dragon rape, something which this series has thankfully managed to not yet encounter. But we've got a few books left.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

bigmcgaffney posted:

Daenerys Dooksprayer, the First of Her Name

If I look back, I'm ~*sharts*~

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

It was like the Colosseum in Rome and we were the Christians." - Bobby Dodd, on playing at LSU's Tiger Stadium
Have you ever been in a fist fight at least? You know how when it's over you feel loving amazing? It's probably like that.
Also: the necessary dehumanization of the enemy

Did anyone notice Tyrion going through withdrawals when Griff forced him to go cold turkey on wine? Poor guy :(

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ray_ posted:

Did anyone notice Tyrion going through withdrawals when Griff forced him to go cold turkey on wine? Poor guy :(

GRRM can write a convincing alcoholic.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

I was actually getting kind of lost trying to remember the names of all the Mereen characters.

One of the other POVs actually makes a joke about how they all sound the same, but honestly as a reader I completely agreed and started mixing up Razzik or Reznik or Rozarik or whatever the gently caress.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

lapse posted:

I was actually getting kind of lost trying to remember the names of all the Mereen characters.

One of the other POVs actually makes a joke about how they all sound the same, but honestly as a reader I completely agreed and started mixing up Razzik or Reznik or Rozarik or whatever the gently caress.

Cadillac is the perfumed seneschal (a harpy), Nutsack (the Shavepate) is the awesome :black101: KILL EM ALL guy, and Snack Pack is her husband.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Ray_ posted:

Have you ever been in a fist fight at least? You know how when it's over you feel loving amazing? It's probably like that.
Also: the necessary dehumanization of the enemy

And then as soon as Tyrion's away from Griff again he's back on the wine, and then back on a whore. Tragic.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Neurosis posted:

And then as soon as Tyrion's away from Griff again he's back on the wine, and then back on a whore. Tragic.

Then he drinks black tar pirate rum likes its wine, and vomits all over

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

So many bruised peaches.

GRRM really should make that food/sex crossover.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

lapse posted:

It doesn't help that the whole Mereen plot isn't particularly interesting

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Aurubin posted:

War has a devastating effect on the human psyche. Soldiers are under so much mental strain that they need something to comfort them and prevent them from cracking under the constant pressure. This something could be as simple as a hot meal and the presence of friendly comrades, but for many soldiers this is not enough. Sex is a way for them to experience some release from the horror of their everyday existence, and if they can't find a willing partner, there are other ways.

I just finished reading Niall Ferguson's book The Pity Of War, in which he states that food, drugs and sex were three of the major reasons men in the First World War kept fighting. Another big reason is that a lot of them really liked to fight and kill people, and I imagine that those same types of people would be the most likely to commit rape during a war. Many WWI veterans spoke about becoming "animals" on the battlefield, and it seems probable that the desperate states of mind that are forced upon men when they fight would lead to further sexual violence.

I really liked Dance, by the way. It seems to me that ASoIaF is going to be centered around two climactic "peaks." We've already had one of them in Storm, and Dance appears to be the Clash equivalent for the second half of the series, building up the various storylines that will lead to a massive climax in Winds. The Others have got to attack in that book, and it seems like that attack is going to come in the middle of a huge battle for the North.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Neurosis posted:

He really should have learned by now to stay away from whores. They're like his goddamn Achilles Heel.

That scene in Clash where Cersei has Alayayayaya and Tyrion tells Cersei that anything done to the whore would be done to Joffrey - including the rapes - was sort of a badass Tyrion moment, but also dumb. Telling people that he cared about a whore enough to threaten buttrape on his own blood? Good job announcing a major weakness and character flaw to your enemies!

Similar to how, in Dance, he knows he's the most wanted man in the world while also being the most recognizable, but he's actually safe right now if he sticks with this group of powerful allies. What does he do the first chance he gets? That's right, separate from said allies and walk into a crowded public place filled with unsavory characters!

Ugh, that was frustrating to read.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Juaguocio posted:

I really liked Dance, by the way. It seems to me that ASoIaF is going to be centered around two climactic "peaks." We've already had one of them in Storm, and Dance appears to be the Clash equivalent for the second half of the series, building up the various storylines that will lead to a massive climax in Winds. The Others have got to attack in that book, and it seems like that attack is going to come in the middle of a huge battle for the North.

Feast + Dance doesn't feel like Clash to me. They feel like GoT before Ned gets his head cut off. ie. good, but setting the scene and moving pieces into place for the next books that will follow.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

tofes posted:

It doesn't help that the whole Mereen plot isn't particularly interesting

I find it interesting for the various interpretations and manifestations of slavery. You got this dorko dragon queen who is very effective at imposing her will, but this book takes a strong [many obviously consider it boring] look at the actual in-world relationship between a slave and a master.

As far as overused new phrases, I'm surprised no one mentions 'Soon or Late'.

Soon or late the serjeant needs must break his fast on candied unborn pup. It is known.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Supreme Allah posted:

Soon or late the serjeant needs must break his fast on candied unborn pup. It is known.

I'd give half a groat, or near enough to make no matter, for some neillo neeps.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Juaguocio posted:

God, I hope not. If we hit the massive climax in Winds, then Dream is gonna just be denounment. He might be the "American Tolkien", but hopefully he has enough sense not to drag his series' ending out like old JRR did.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Someone linked the new ASOIAF calendar earlier in the thread and I just got around to checking it out:
http://picacio.blogspot.com/2011/07/2012-asoiaf-calendar-release-day.html

It's loving horrible.

The 2011 one was great though, the one with all the castles:

I found images from that one along with a bunch of awesome maps like the huge Westeros one by "Other-in-Law" that everyone likes:
http://www.taringa.net/posts/imagenes/1892177/Mapas-en-Cancion-de-Hielo-y-Fuego.html

Here's a few:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Ray_ posted:

That scene in Clash where Cersei has Alayayayaya and Tyrion tells Cersei that anything done to the whore would be done to Joffrey - including the rapes - was sort of a badass Tyrion moment, but also dumb. Telling people that he cared about a whore enough to threaten buttrape on his own blood? Good job announcing a major weakness and character flaw to your enemies!

First, Tommen, not Joff. Second, I interpreted that scene as Tyrion trying to protect Shae. He's relieved when, after Cersei's rant, they bring out Allaakbarayaya, but he can't let that show because it may tip Cersei off that they've got the wrong person, so he has to go with it and pretend as if she really does mean a lot to him in order to prevent Cersei from putting two and two together (yeah he's giving Cersei a lot of credit) and dragging a certain other whore into the room.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ted Nasmith owns. I did not know he was doing ASOIAF stiff. His Twins looks spot on and his Oldtown is also really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

So, I've been thinking about the 5YG

Dany: In these five years, she would have dealth with the meereenesse, her dragons would have grown and she would emerge a great ruler. In ADWD, this was accomplished with Hiszawhoever and making the dragons formidable at whatever size.

Jon: He becomes the LC of the wall, and in those 5 years he bends the broken wilding army to his side and wins them to his cause against the others. He does this with all we saw in ADWD.

Arya: She becomes master killer no.1. In ADWD GURM will probably just have us believe she kicks rear end regardless.

Tyrion: He wanders the free cities looking for dany, accumulating dragon lore and eevntually finding her.

The Ironborn: Would sail around, gathering up ships until finding dany. Solved in literally a chapter.

The new targ, JC and the rest of the removed from westeros plotline would also have plenty of time to breathe, JC would have time to set up his rebels and establish a Base of operations.

This is where i have problems though. None of the westeros plotline would have fit in with this five year gap. Are we just going to skip Cerseis tiral, and have her chilling on the Rock? Is jaime going to hone his swordplay? If so, for what reason?

Sansa, with the 5YG, would be older, more accustomed to littlefinger and perhaps be more adept at the powerplaying, but this could also be solved in about a chapter.

The struggle in the north would be much less dramatic if we cut to stannis, the boltons and etc. in the middle of a deadly harsh winter, at a stand still after all this time. It is much better to have the onset of winter pressing all these struggles to a climax, while poo poo gets worked out in a much more peacemeal and efficent manner.

In my mind, the 5YG would never ever work. There is just too much that would be glossed over. I could see how GURM might have problems with the idea, but I can see much more clearly how creative problem solving, storywise, saved his rear end from this pretty boring sounding fate.