Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DirtyWorker
Jun 19, 2004

What is Afrika.. You can not comprehend, what afrika is!

SourKraut posted:

To be fair, in the IT environment I work in, many of the professionals who are using Macs and OS X, are becoming more vocal in meetings and around the office about their dislike of the direction that Apple is going. I wouldn't at all be surprised if in the next 3-5 years a lot of them switch back to a different OS, depending on the direction Apple continues to take.

After the gently caress up that was FCPX, I don't blame them. It seems Apple is going all consumer. They've already removed Xserv, and made Lion Server an update to regular Lion, they are also basically telling Adobe to suck it. I have no idea what they are thinking though.

Edit: Probably singing "We're in the money! We're in the money, come on, my honey, Let's lend it, spend it, send it rolling along!"

DirtyWorker fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Safari fails to handle 8+ tabs with any reliability.

Back to Chrome I go.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Abel Wingnut posted:

What are your specs? Safari has no issues with dozens of tabs across multiple windows on my iMac with 8GB of RAM.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
This is an extremely minor annoyance, but is there any way to make moving the mouse wake the computer when it's in sleep mode? It worked just fine in Snow Leopard, but not Lion. I tried looking under mouse and power options, but I'm not seeing anything.

DirtyWorker
Jun 19, 2004

^^^^ Already discussed. No. The reason they did this was because it was super sensitive in Snow Leopard. Waking computers from sleep if someone farted in the room next door. It will only wake with a push of any key or the mouse/trackpad.

Abel Wingnut posted:

Back to Chrome I go.

If all those tabs use Flash, I understand it. :P http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/21/adobe-suggests-disabled-hardware-acceleration-for-flash-player-in-os-x-lion/

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

What are your specs? Safari has no issues with dozens of tabs across multiple windows on my iMac with 8GB of RAM.

2.8 GHz C2D with 4 GB of RAM.

Gmail's the most complex page I've used today.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Carlton Banks posted:

This is an extremely minor annoyance, but is there any way to make moving the mouse wake the computer when it's in sleep mode? It worked just fine in Snow Leopard, but not Lion. I tried looking under mouse and power options, but I'm not seeing anything.
I haven't come across a plist change for it yet, and apparently the Internet hasn't either. Maybe in a point release you'll get an option, but for now you've gotta click. I actually like the change since I disliked waking up the system if I brushed the Magic Trackpad.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

SourKraut posted:

To be fair, in the IT environment I work in, many of the professionals who are using Macs and OS X, are becoming more vocal in meetings and around the office about their dislike of the direction that Apple is going. I wouldn't at all be surprised if in the next 3-5 years a lot of them switch back to a different OS, depending on the direction Apple continues to take.
This is happening more in some of the (media-intensive) environments I work in, but the reality is that there aren't any good alternatives.

Drosophilaphile
Nov 6, 2009
I use my Mac mini to share my DSL connection over its wifi to a bunch of different devices. In 10.6, everything worked great. I created a PPPoE connection, then enabled Internet Sharing to share the PPPoE connection across Airport. Updating the mini to 10.7 seems to have ruined that. The PPPoE connection still works (I can get to the internet on the mini), and the wifi network I make through the mini shows up and I can connect to it with other devices, but I can't actually get to the internet from the other devices.

Any ideas?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Drosophilaphile posted:

I use my Mac mini to share my DSL connection over its wifi to a bunch of different devices. In 10.6, everything worked great. I created a PPPoE connection, then enabled Internet Sharing to share the PPPoE connection across Airport. Updating the mini to 10.7 seems to have ruined that. The PPPoE connection still works (I can get to the internet on the mini), and the wifi network I make through the mini shows up and I can connect to it with other devices, but I can't actually get to the internet from the other devices.

Any ideas?
There was something earlier in the thread about how Internet Sharing in 10.7.0 only works if the private IP is set to a particular address.

EDIT:

Accipiter posted:

Suddenly Internet Sharing started working just fine. I went back and re-tested a few times to make sure I wasn't hallucinating or missing something, but sure enough, Mac OS 10.7 Internet Sharing from Wireless to Ethernet will only work if your Mac's ethernet address is set to 192.168.2.1. Period.

THANKS, APPLE. :argh:

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 22, 2011

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

DirtyWorker posted:

After the gently caress up that was FCPX, I don't blame them. It seems Apple is going all consumer. They've already removed Xserv, and made Lion Server an update to regular Lion, they are also basically telling Adobe to suck it. I have no idea what they are thinking though.

Edit: Probably singing "We're in the money! We're in the money, come on, my honey, Let's lend it, spend it, send it rolling along!"
Yeah, I mean I can't blame them, given that their consumer-focused products is what's making them a BOATLOAD of money and allowing them to build a giant flying saucer for their new corporate headquarters, but still, it's somewhat sad to see their professional products taking the bullet for their success.

Though from past articles and stories I've read about Steve Jobs, it seems as if he's never really cared all that much about the professional markets anyway.

DirtyWorker
Jun 19, 2004

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, I mean I can't blame them, given that their consumer-focused products is what's making them a BOATLOAD of money and allowing them to build a giant flying saucer for their new corporate headquarters, but still, it's somewhat sad to see their professional products taking the bullet for their success.

Though from past articles and stories I've read about Steve Jobs, it seems as if he's never really cared all that much about the professional markets anyway.

I guess that market was convenient when it kept Apple alive at one point. Not so much now when they have more money in the bank then most "rich" countries in the world. :P

I'm betting that flying saucer HQ will be taking off by 2020, leaving earth behind to create an utopia on some distant planet.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

DirtyWorker posted:

It seems Apple is going all consumer. They've already removed Xserv, and made Lion Server an update to regular Lion...

All Server ever was was a $200–$800 markup for a couple GUIs and a server license on top of "regular" OS X. Now it's just $50 instead of $399+ for the same thing.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

SourKraut posted:

This is true. A coworker of mine explained it from their perspective. Who should you write software for? The pros, who are aging stalwarts of their tools, or the general public, who are the YouTube-era media makers of the future?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Now that I found an omnibar hack for Safari, the only thing keeping me from it is the lack of "reopen closed tab" that Chrome has that I can map to a BTT gesture. Is there a hack anywhere for this? Is it even possible to hack, or do I have to wait for Apple to maybe implement it one day?

DirtyWorker
Jun 19, 2004

Captain Charisma posted:

Now that I found an omnibar hack for Safari, the only thing keeping me from it is the lack of "reopen closed tab" that Chrome has that I can map to a BTT gesture. Is there a hack anywhere for this? Is it even possible to hack, or do I have to wait for Apple to maybe implement it one day?

Ctrl+Z to much to push?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

DirtyWorker posted:

I guess that market was convenient when it kept Apple alive at one point. Not so much now when they have more money in the bank then most "rich" countries in the world. :P

I'm betting that flying saucer HQ will be taking off by 2020, leaving earth behind to create an utopia on some distant planet.
I love the look of their planned HQ, but I'm kinda surprised he didn't go with a building shaped like the Apple logo. The whole "each piece of glass is curved" concept could have still applied. :P

lord funk posted:

This is true. A coworker of mine explained it from their perspective. Who should you write software for? The pros, who are aging stalwarts of their tools, or the general public, who are the YouTube-era media makers of the future?
Yeah, I mean, it makes sense from a "maximizing profit" perspective, but given how much money they are bringing it, it'd be nice if they could at least put a few more resources into their professional lineup. Even though it's not their most lucrative market, I doubt it's losing them money.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

SourKraut posted:

Agreed, in fact most of the professional animation & visual effects industry use Linux, even Pixar.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Just got Lion up and running a little while ago. Really enjoying the changes so far, and none of my favorite apps are broken (yet).

Also, my god, the magic mouse has improved dramatically with Lion. Gestures seem more responsive and also make more sense (e.g., two fingers left/right to swap spaces, versus one finger left/right to move forward/back), and right-clicking is mind-blowingly better now that they actually let you use the entire right side of the mouse instead of the uppermost corner. I'll pick up a trackpad eventually, but it'll be easier to forego for the time being.

e: and smart-zooming owns more than I thought it would.

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 22, 2011

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

DirtyWorker posted:

Apple has refuted this so many times now. They will never make a computer with a touch screen as holding your hand out to touch the screen would kill you after 10 minutes. :P

Edit: Mr. Jobs said “We’ve done tons of user testing on this, and it turns out it doesn’t work. Touch surfaces don’t want to be vertical. It gives great demo but after a short period of time, you start to fatigue and after an extended period of time, your arm wants to fall off. it doesn’t work, it’s ergonomically terrible. Touch surfaces want to be horizontal, hence pads.”

Errr. Right. That's why I mentioned laptops, and the ability to turn the screen around like a tablet and not iMacs. :raise:

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it makes sense to me for a portable computing device, and the success of the iPad kind of points that way. I know Apple maintains that the iPad and laptops are separate, but v:shobon:v

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Cyne posted:

So when do you guys think Pro Tools and Media Composer are going to be qualified for Lion? :v:

Perhaps more to the point, is Pro Tools 8 ever going to be qualified for Lion or is Avid going to force me to upgrade to 9?

Well, it looks like I got the answer to the second question.

Sweetwater has a Lion compatibility page for audio gear and software, where they write:

quote:

• AVID: At this time Pro Tools 9 and earlier versions of Pro Tools software are not compatible with OS X Lion. Avid is working directly with Apple in order to establish full compatibility with Pro Tools 9.

A little disappointing, but not too surprising I suppose.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Jack's Flow posted:

My Kindle for Mac application is pretty much dead since the upgrade to Lion. It doesn't download titles anymore and I can't even log on to my Kindle/Amazon account.

I had the same problem. This may not strictly be related to the OS upgrade: I also changed laptops and restored my old Time Machine backup to the new laptop today. However, this process worked:

I deleted the app, deleted the Kindle folder from ~/Library/Application Support/ and redownloaded the app from the App Store. It's working for me now, though I have to redownload all my books.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

When has Pro Tools ever not forced you to upgrade to get compatibility? :v:

I shouldn't poke fun. MOTU doesn't have DP7 ready for Lion yet either.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Anyone else having problems with 1Password and Safari in lion? I updated 1Pass, made sure it installed the safari plugin, but I don't see the menu item when I right click on a login box.

Edit: the interface has changed for Safari 5.1. Hit CMD-\ to bring up the dialog.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 22, 2011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MZ posted:

How would I do that?
Last I checked it involved hacking up the installer and/or modifying something so the boot process loads up external drive drivers first (USB or FW). If Macs had eSATA it'd be easy :v:.

lord funk posted:

This former Shake then Apple dev summed it up, other than the (relatively) tiny pro market I think this is a big point:

quote:

And really, from a company perspective high-end customers are a pain in the rear end. Before Apple bought Shake, customer feedback drove about 90% of the features we’d put into the product. But that’s not how Apple rolls – for them a high end customers are high-bandwidth in terms of the attention they require relative to the revenue they return. After the acquisition I remember sitting in a roomful of Hollywood VFX pros where Steve told everybody point-blank that we/Apple were going to focus on giving them powerful tools that were far more cost-effective than what they were accustomed to… but that the relationship between them and Apple wasn’t going to be something where they’d be driving product direction anymore. Didn’t go over particularly well, incidentally, but I don’t think that concerned Steve overmuch… :-)

DirtyWorker posted:

Ctrl+Z to much to push?
Or command-Z if you haven't remapped it.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I second this. Mid 2010 MBP (Core i5 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM) here. Safari handles tabs like a champ. I've had up to 20 open so far, no issues whatsoever. Have encountered the iOS-like "we flushed this page from memory, but now that you want to see it again we'll reload it for you" behavior a couple of times. No big deal.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

lord funk posted:

When has Pro Tools ever not forced you to upgrade to get compatibility? :v:

I shouldn't poke fun. MOTU doesn't have DP7 ready for Lion yet either.

I guess I thought they might want to cut us some slack given that PT 9 hasn't been out all that long, and that they continued to ship old Mboxes with 8 even after it was introduced. Oh well, the upgrade fee to 9 isn't outrageous, but I was hoping to be able to delay it just a little bit.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Almost forgot, if anyone is :tinfoil: about security, Lion is a lot better:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/21/mac_os_x_lion_security/

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Haggins posted:

Anyone else having problems with 1Password and Safari in lion? I updated 1Pass, made sure it installed the safari plugin, but I don't see the menu item when I right click on a login box.

They borrowed a page from their Chrome plugin and everything has to occur through the floating 1Password box (triggered by the 1P toolbar icon).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone else with an MX Revolution (or similar) mouse and 10.7?

I'm trying to bind the "search" button above the main scrollwheel to launch Mission Control, but none of the button selections in SysPrefs launches it. So far I managed to bind it to the thumb wheel but that's less than amazing.

Also other stuff like the thumb <- -> buttons to actually behave like back/forth buttons in Chrome/etc.

Any recommendations?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
So I'm going to do a clean install because I have a ton of old apps and cruft built up from my SL install.

I know that I can burn a DVD from the DMG; however, if I just download Lion and doubleclick the app, will I have the option to erase drive & clean install? Or must I go the DVD route?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Petey posted:

So I'm going to do a clean install because I have a ton of old apps and cruft built up from my SL install.

I know that I can burn a DVD from the DMG; however, if I just download Lion and doubleclick the app, will I have the option to erase drive & clean install? Or must I go the DVD route?

No, you have to boot off a disc (or USB I guess) to wipe the system. Do you really expect to be able to wipe a system while it's running?

I also did an in-place upgrade off the .dmg, so that will be nice for doing multiple machines.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Doctor Zero posted:

No, you have to boot off a disc (or USB I guess) to wipe the system. Do you really expect to be able to wipe a system while it's running?

Well, I read the way Lion works is by partitioning your disk on the fly. I figured that would have to be while it was off but I figured it was worth asking. Going to walk downstairs and get a blank DVD now :)

e: crap, forgot the optical drive on my machine has been freaking out and not recognizing DVDs. I can probably find a thumb drive - but has that been confirmed that you can just pop the DMG on a thumb drive and it works? For that matter, could I just put the DMG on an external USB HD and boot from there? Or are these thumb drives apple is shipping some kind of special deal?

e2: found directions! http://www.yourdailymac.net/2011/06/how-to-create-a-bootable-mac-os-x-lion-installation-usb-stick-or-external-hard-drive/

Petey fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 22, 2011

Tevruden
Aug 12, 2004

I have been waiting for this option for so long.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
For anyone having problems with AFP on their NAS being too old, Apple has now posted a KB Document with steps to lower the security of the AFP Client so you can connect to your NAS
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4700

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I thought it was insane to drop $57 on a text editing program, but I'm really close too now. I'm trying out the TextMate trial and it make's web development so much easier. I wish it was in the Mac App Store so I can use my $100 gift card I got from the student Mac purchase.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.

FT posted:

I have been waiting for this option for so long.

How does it know? :stare:

Major Thom
May 7, 2006

By training and a hundred scientific secrets, I became what you see - a human being who lives and thrives under the water

Small White Dragon posted:

This is happening more in some of the (media-intensive) environments I work in, but the reality is that there aren't any good alternatives.
Are they threatening to go to Windows 7 or something? Whenever I hear talk like that, it seems like one of those I-swear-to-god-if-Bush-wins-again-I'm-moving-to-Canada kinds of things.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Rabid Snake posted:

I thought it was insane to drop $57 on a text editing program, but I'm really close too now. I'm trying out the TextMate trial and it make's web development so much easier. I wish it was in the Mac App Store so I can use my $100 gift card I got from the student Mac purchase.
I've heard great things about TextMate, but keep in mind it hasn't been updated in YEARS. They've said they've been working on version 2.0 for a long time, but nothing's ever come from it. I don't think this is a good time to buy it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did dragging change in Lion? What I am trying to do is double-tap an icon, but except for releasing on the second tap, dragging instead. That's how I dragged things in Snow Leopard, but it doesn't seem to work now. I found "three fingers to drag" in System Preferences, but, what? Is that the new way of doing things?

I feel like I'm learning to walk again. :(