Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhoIsBarryBostwick
Sep 17, 2008

You're going to like the way you look...I guarantee it.
That episode was very interesting. No, wait, the other thing. Tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
First episode I've ever stopped watching halfway through.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah I think it was pretty obvious that whoever wrote that episode doesn't like childrens' television much.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

lelandjs posted:

Yeah I think it was pretty obvious that whoever wrote that episode doesn't like childrens' television much.

Or orphans.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I'm guessing the writer thought it was a lot funnier than it was. No idea how it got green-lit, though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Why do I always like the episodes everyone else seems to hate? :(

WhoIsBarryBostwick
Sep 17, 2008

You're going to like the way you look...I guarantee it.

feedmyleg posted:

You didn't miss anything.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

OneTwentySix posted:

I'm guessing the writer thought it was a lot funnier than it was. No idea how it got green-lit, though.
You know what we like? Good ideas.

You know what we like better than good ideas? Money! And time not spent trying to write good ideas.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
It wasn't Susan-the-Boil stupid, but, yeah, lowlight. At least we have options for the titlequote that I can't quite remember right now.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Seconded, this and the Susan Boil episode killed it for me. Am I the only one who doesn't like cartoon characters singing? In any show? Don't get me wrong, the opera song was awesome, from the last episode of the previous season.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I think this was more clever than funny, especially the ending, which puts it above half the episodes this summer. It also had my favorite line of the half-season: "If only he wasn't my brother."

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Z.S. Ghost posted:

It wasn't Susan-the-Boil stupid, but, yeah, lowlight. At least we have options for the titlequote that I can't quite remember right now.
I thought Susan-the-Boil was a lot funnier the second and third time I saw it. But then again I do have a "Craig Ferguson Falsetto=LAUGH!" knee-jerk reaction.

[Edit: Oh god was that the guy from Daily Show/Zhao from Last Airbender in the Taco Bell commercial?]

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

Not the best I've seen out of the show. By far it's not the worst, but it is one of the lower end episodes. I hate to say that, especially after how much I liked last week's episode.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

axleblaze posted:

Why do I always like the episodes everyone else seems to hate? :(

Bad taste, perhaps?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

IUG posted:

Seconded, this and the Susan Boil episode killed it for me. Am I the only one who doesn't like cartoon characters singing? In any show? Don't get me wrong, the opera song was awesome, from the last episode of the previous season.

Katey Sagal is a trained singer and that is what she originally wanted to be. Why do I remember that from Married with Children THS?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Wow that was really bad, but at least it wasn't another bender-centric bender worshiping episode.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
That episode was awful. Worst of the lot.

A Humble Emperor
Dec 30, 2007

With a big big crown!
That episode was really bad. Especially the super rushed ending. Whoever wrote it must be very angry at the world :ohdear:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Kind of surprised to see all the backlash this episode has gotten. It was definitely a lower-tier episode, but I think Attack of the Killer App and That Darn Katz were both worse. Honestly, it was about on-par with other Leela-centric pure comedy episodes, like A Leela of Her Own. Which, although I don't mind it, I know many consider one of the worst episodes of the series, so what do I know? V:v:V

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I think the cat episode was worse than this one...few good GIFable moments and laughing at orphans, but aside from that, pretty meh.

"If you can't imagine...then I guess I can't neither :smith:", I laughed at the delivery, I guess I'm a bad man.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

Cardboard Box posted:

Kind of surprised to see all the backlash this episode has gotten. It was definitely a lower-tier episode, but I think Attack of the Killer App and That Darn Katz were both worse. Honestly, it was about on-par with other Leela-centric pure comedy episodes, like A Leela of Her Own. Which, although I don't mind it, I know many consider one of the worst episodes of the series, so what do I know? V:v:V
Sorry, but "clown fundamentals" is one of the best jokes of the entire series.

Production
Jun 11, 2001

Prof. Spaceman posted:

Okay, I'm getting sick of Fry inexplicably having excessive knowledge of things from ten years after he was frozen.

I'd like to find out that one of the many backwards, bizarre things about the 31st century is that they've drilled sideways into the buried ruins of the 21st century and are excavating upward at a rate of one year of pop culture per chronological year.

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

I noticed a little goof, about 9 minutes in:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
I was on the fence about most of this episode, but Leela's tragic success at the end sold it to me. Wasn't one of the best, but I enjoyed myself.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Sugar Blaster posted:

Not to mention that Hank Aaron is funny as hell in that episode as well.

I still liked this episode. But I guess Futurama is like pizza to me. Even when it's not that great, it's still pretty good. They'd have to really gently caress something up for me to not like it.

I guess what stood out to me was that it seemed like a rushed script. There were a couple things I thought of that might have made this episode work better. If Leela hadn't gone from Leela to EgoTripLeela so quickly, or so blatantly, the twist would have been more of a surprise. Just some simple scenes showing her trying to write the show without actually being at the cartoon planet. Maybe struggling with the idea of going there a little bit.

I did buy her treating the crew like crap, though not at the level of this episode. It just wasn't in her character to be THAT crass to them. MY IMMERSION! :v:

Anyway, it wasn't a horrible episode. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that I've not seen a Futurama episode that was blatantly horrible YET. I know there will come a day, but I embrace it as a rite of passage for a great show.

Someone put a wind farm in front of my keyboard!

Edit: Also, it's not like they were short on time this episode. Wasn't that a full opening? Or am I just so used to the new short version that I've forgotten?

woodch fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 22, 2011

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
That certainly was a thing

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I'm in the "low key, but definitely not terrible" camp for this episode. The first half was pretty slow and Leela's bitchy attitude didn't fit in at all, but once they got to the real Rumbledy Hump planet, it was good. Bender had some good lines, but stayed in the background, and Rumbledy Hump characters had some funny stuff too (98 words we don't say song, "we didn't have a word for it... until now). The ending is another one that will probably be ignored in the long run, but I enjoyed it more than the first two episodes of this season.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Sugar Blaster posted:

Yeah, like I said, I like the episode well enough, I just know that some people consider it one of the weakest. I'm one of those people who will say there's no really outright bad episode in the entire series. There's weaker ones, definitely, but it's never been unwatchable for me.

Well, Attack of the Killer App came pretty close to being unwatchable. But it had some good gags still.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Grave $avings posted:

I hate to say it but that was one awful episode of Futurama
The first episode I've outright just not liked at all.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

Sugar Blaster posted:

Oh, I can't help you play better than Tiny Iota. That guy was great.

wajack
Nov 5, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

woodch posted:

Edit: Also, it's not like they were short on time this episode. Wasn't that a full opening? Or am I just so used to the new short version that I've forgotten?

It was and I really hope it stays. They cut out the best part of the theme song in the shortened opening and I hate it.

Not at great episode, but I didn't mind it. There were a few good laughs. Leela episodes are generally weaker than most.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That episode was kind of bizarre, and not really funny at all except for the part where everyone was distracting Leela and the weird kids TV shows. As the episode went on, it became more background noise for me than something I actively wanted to watch, and not even enjoyable background noise. Shame after last week's was so great :(

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

Hearing Leila sing was sweet even if was cringe inducing.

At the start it felt a little like a episode of the Simpsons for some reason however the evil ending was pure Futurama but.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That episode was so awful I think it gave me cancer.

I chuckled once or twice but good lord.

E: Leela also looked like she was animated way off model in the first few minutes. Her face was all weird.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jul 22, 2011

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Leela also looked like she was animated way off model in the first few minutes. Her face was all weird.

That's been happening a lot this season. I first really noticed Hermes' looked off in quite a few shots of Lethal Inspection.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Cardboard Box posted:

That's been happening a lot this season. I first really noticed Hermes' looked off in quite a few shots of Lethal Inspection.

You can thank Comedy Central's overseas animation department for that

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I didn't really get the closing joke of the last episode. I'm guessing that only Hollywood writers will appreciate it. In fact, the whole drat episode felt like a big writers' in-joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Stonefish posted:

Oh, I can't help you play better than Tiny Iota. That guy was great.

You only go on when we're losing, or when our other pitchers leave early to beat the traffic!

• Locked thread