Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

El Jackalope posted:

I didn't ask about the i7's, sorry, but the i5s are definitely available.

Edit: I did a CCC update of my MBP's backup and am now using Migration Assistant to transfer much of my info from the backup to my new MBA. I'm happy it's working. :unsmith:
Would like to hear a trip report on what you think of the Mini. :) I can't imagine why an i5 - even with integrated video - wouldn't be more than enough for HTPC usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

So I rebooted my MBP for the first time in ages, took an Activity Monitor screenshot to check RAM usage:

This was with Safari w/ 6 tabs or so, Mail, Word and IM. I don't think that's too out-of-line for what a 11" MBA might be doing, but 2GB seems borderline.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

movax posted:

This was with Safari w/ 6 tabs or so, Mail, Word and IM. I don't think that's too out-of-line for what a 11" MBA might be doing, but 2GB seems borderline.
Keep in mind that swapping is less noticeable with an SSD, so that can help augment the RAM limitation.

Speaking of the Air: I just noticed that it didn't get a FaceTime HD camera. I guess they can't fit it into that super thin display assembly.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Speaking of the ram, I'm running 8gb on my iMac, but in the last day or so it's been on it's swapped out like 3gbs of stuff.

I'm thinking of spending the $110 to go to 16gb, and then selling the 2x2gb sets for $20-25 on SA-Mart. Should only be ~$80 upgrade at worst...

Edit: I so need to SSD this thing as well (it's a Sandy Bridge iMac), my wife's 2010 C2D MacBook Pro with a vertex 2 opens things way faster than my computer...I upgraded her to lion and she was like WOAH SAFARI OPENS SO FAST!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Sasquatch! posted:

Would like to hear a trip report on what you think of the Mini. :) I can't imagine why an i5 - even with integrated video - wouldn't be more than enough for HTPC usage.

I'll remember to give one next week; I've ordered some more ram from newegg and am getting a tv to replace my old DLP that just died around the same time. This will be my first HTPC... I like my AppleTV 2, but it's not exactly what I want in performance, so I'm looking forward to not having to gently caress around in a half-assed manner to just watch videos.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MrEnigma posted:

Speaking of the ram, I'm running 8gb on my iMac, but in the last day or so it's been on it's swapped out like 3gbs of stuff.
Swapping isn't necessarily a bad thing. Swapping doesn't immediately equal "buy more RAM!" especially with how Lion now handles applications without associated processes and processes without associated applications. Are you actually running out of free memory or is it just swapping idle stuff?

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Swapping isn't necessarily a bad thing. Swapping doesn't immediately equal "buy more RAM!" especially with how Lion now handles applications without associated processes and processes without associated applications. Are you actually running out of free memory or is it just swapping idle stuff?

Yeah I know, Safari being the little greedy thing it is. It still sits at a few hundred mb free, which means if I launch anything...stuff has to swap out (or reallocate?)

Edit: Actually strike that it would probably just use the inactive...

movax
Aug 30, 2008

MacBook Air teardown is up as well! Apple has good taste, I used the same USB hub IC and BlueTooth IC in my most recent mobo design.

Wanted to see a 2GB 11" teardown, to see if they just had open pads for more chips, or if they just used less dense ICs. I guess I need to make a trip out to the Fruit Stand and get like 50 tabs open in Safari or something to see how well it copes with swapping on the SSD. I counted 16 ICs on the board, so for 4GB, that's 2Gbit a piece. I don't remember how many chips are on your average 4GB SO-DIMM, 8?

movax fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 22, 2011

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
16, 8 per side of the SoDIMM.

What are the MacOS memory management policies, anyway? Windows does a lot of ahead-of-need allocation and caching from disk, which means that more RAM is always a benefit even if marginally. Does MacOS do anything similar?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
A 2 GB RAM Macbook Air actually has between 1.62 and 1.75 GB of RAM for your use after the onboard graphics takes shared memory. Do you really want to buy a new computer and have less than 2 GB of RAM actually available for the system?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

fishmech posted:

A 2 GB RAM Macbook Air actually has between 1.62 and 1.75 GB of RAM for your use after the onboard graphics takes shared memory. Do you really want to buy a new computer and have less than 2 GB of RAM actually available for the system?

IIRC, 2GB MBAs share 256mb with the Intel HD3000 graphics while the 4GB version shares 384mb.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I don't want to start a huge "OMG my _____ shipped", but has anyone's MacBook Air shipped from Apple.com yet? For some reason they're shipping the $100 gift card separately.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 22, 2011

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Corbet posted:

I don't want to start a huge "OMG my _____ shipped", but has anyone's MacBook Air shipped from Apple.com yet? For some reason they're shipping the $100 gift card separately.

Was your BTO or a standard configuration?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Corbet posted:

Yeah and one is with UPS and the other is FedEx. My MBA shipped today at some point, says it'll be here Friday...soo as long as you didn't get bamboozled into getting the i7 proc you should have the same arrival time.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 7 minutes!

MrEnigma posted:

Yeah I know, Safari being the little greedy thing it is. It still sits at a few hundred mb free, which means if I launch anything...stuff has to swap out (or reallocate?)

Edit: Actually strike that it would probably just use the inactive...

OS X swaps like a motherfucker even with 16 GB, it's just how the OS handles memory and always has been. Using < 10.4 on anything less than 1 GB with a slow HDD was loving painful until Apple wisened up and it refused to work with less. Don't be alarmed by a crazy amount of swapping unless you're actually noticing a performance impact.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I picked up one of the new Airs today, after spilling some pop on my old 2009 unibody Macbook (which, as it turns out, is a little more liquid proof than I gave it credit for, but that just means I can sell it for more cash, because I'm not giving this beauty up), and it works like a charm. I can't get all of my data onto it until I return from vacation, but it's lighter, faster, and I love the Lion upgrades (though I miss my command+arrow desktop switching). The only thing I'll have to replace is half of my "connect laptop to TV" cord, which isn't too much of a worry anyways.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
I have a creaky 2010 13" air running Snow Leopard that I'm about to get apple to replace. Its a CTO with 4 gigs of ram so they will have to mail me a replacement - should I buy and upgrade to lion, or will the replacement already have Lion installed?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Wait, you guys use Safari and not Firefox or Chrome?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Wait, you guys use Safari and not Firefox or Chrome?
There's this illusion that using only the applications from Apple is the only way to use a Mac. :allears:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I don't have anything against it, I use FF on Windows/Linux so I figure why switch browsers?

One thing I noticed with Safari is that I'll leave a single instance open, viewing the traffic graph in m0n0wall (which is basically just an SVG file), and it must have a massive memory leak because overnight it will bloat to like 2GB.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I would never use Safari for anything than opening sites that demand I use Safari. It is a terrible browser by the standards I require my browser to run by. Firefox left those by becoming sluggishly slow, so I went Chrome when they finally supported extensions. Never looking back.

And yes this is mostly because the browser is so extremely slow and for some reason demands to spin up my USB drives (which are only used for Time Machine) every single time I open a tab. This spinup takes a minute and locks up Finder and some other things while doing it, so you can imagine how annoying it is.

ilifinicus fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 22, 2011

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Does anyone know if its possible to use the new cinema display on a PC or older mac that doesn't have thunderbolt?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Not without an adapter, which doesn't seem to currently exist.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

I don't have anything against it, I use FF on Windows/Linux so I figure why switch browsers?

Especially since you can sync extensions/bookmarks across computers if you use the same browser.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
edit: I am a total retard and didn't read the thread :suicide:

gregday
May 23, 2003

ilifin posted:

And yes this is mostly because the browser is so extremely slow and for some reason demands to spin up my USB drives (which are only used for Time Machine) every single time I open a tab. This spinup takes a minute and locks up Finder and some other things while doing it, so you can imagine how annoying it is.

Use what works for you, but I'm pretty sure no one else has that issue.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

gregday posted:

Use what works for you, but I'm pretty sure no one else has that issue.

Safari messes with my USB drives as well, but so does a bunch of stuff inside OSX that really shouldn't.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
I plan to buy a new Mac Mini as it seems to be the perfect HTPC. What would you guys recommend as external storage? USB 2.0 hard drives are portable but slow, and I guess I would benefit from either the Firewire 800 or Thunderbolt interface (is there even such a thing as a Thunderbolt hard drive?) - any particular recommendations?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Safari messes with my USB drives as well, but so does a bunch of stuff inside OSX that really shouldn't.

I've only seen this happen when using super el-cheapo $5 enclosures from a Chinatown computer store or a sale at MicroCenter. Some do and some don't. Enclosures with Oxford chipsets never give me a problem on any modern Firewire Mac except for some early G3 towers and the Yikes! G4.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 22, 2011

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

ndrake posted:

Thanks, that actually looks like a nice solution. As to the easiness of picking - I just need a visual deterrent. The same people who would steal my cell phone and then sign me up for spanish hip hop ringtone subscription (which never failed to entertain when they were delivered a month later on my new phone) are not going to take the time to figure out how to pick that lock on a computer in a work room.

I doubt that would work with the Air. There is no clearance. Also notice how there is no front view of those product shots. Probably because there is some hunk of metal protruding from the gap between the screen and the base, scratching the finish off your Macbook Air logo. I looked for locking solutions last year when the new Air came out and I came up empty. The only thing I can think of is some kind of "noose" that slips around the screen and tightens around the base. There is about ~1" of space that has a gap between the screen and the base on each side. The rest of the the length of the machine has is a very snug hinge.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DoctorOfLawls posted:

I plan to buy a new Mac Mini as it seems to be the perfect HTPC. What would you guys recommend as external storage? USB 2.0 hard drives are portable but slow, and I guess I would benefit from either the Firewire 800 or Thunderbolt interface (is there even such a thing as a Thunderbolt hard drive?) - any particular recommendations?

I'd wait if you can until Thunderbolt drives come out.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

japtor posted:

You have too much money and are sick of syncing things between the MBP and iMac? Is your MBP faster than the iMac at least?

iMac is 2011 27" base configuration - MBP is 2011 15" with matte display, i7 2.2 ghz, 8gb ram and a 128gb corsair ssd

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Safari always felt a little sluggish but Firefox is starting to feel the same way. FF still has the best adblock though so I stick with it. Chrome still shows ads and pop ups once in a while.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So my CEO has the newest MacBook Pro, and has been using it with an external monitor at work. Before Lion he was using it with the screen slightly ajar, but with the Macbook's screen turned off. With Lion it insists on waking up the Macbook's monitor at the slightest hint of an angle.

The whole reason why he does this is because he's afraid of the computer having a heat stroke and dying. Some people at the Mac Store told him to do this, and it would be a "bad idea" to run the computer with the screen closed entirely.

Is this true? If it's not, is there some kind of official Apple document I can show him that shows them making the statement?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ilifin posted:

The latest version of Safari is as fast as Chrome is as far as I can tell.

As for the USB spinup, I have no idea. Maybe you have an extension or .simbl addon installed? It certainly doesn't happen on my Mac.

I used to use Chrome but switched to Safari when Lion came out, mostly because of fullscreen mode but also because I missed Reader (the Chrome extension looked good but took too long).

IUG posted:

So my CEO has the newest MacBook Pro, and has been using it with an external monitor at work. Before Lion he was using it with the screen slightly ajar, but with the Macbook's screen turned off. With Lion it insists on waking up the Macbook's monitor at the slightest hint of an angle.

The whole reason why he does this is because he's afraid of the computer having a heat stroke and dying. Some people at the Mac Store told him to do this, and it would be a "bad idea" to run the computer with the screen closed entirely.

Is this true? If it's not, is there some kind of official Apple document I can show him that shows them making the statement?
Boom. It doesn't say it won't harm your computer, but then again I don't think Apple (or any manufacturer) would recommend doing something that harms your computer.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 22, 2011

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.

Kobayashi posted:

I doubt that would work with the Air. There is no clearance. Also notice how there is no front view of those product shots. Probably because there is some hunk of metal protruding from the gap between the screen and the base, scratching the finish off your Macbook Air logo. I looked for locking solutions last year when the new Air came out and I came up empty. The only thing I can think of is some kind of "noose" that slips around the screen and tightens around the base. There is about ~1" of space that has a gap between the screen and the base on each side. The rest of the the length of the machine has is a very snug hinge.

Hm. Back to hiding the thing.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Binary Badger posted:

I've only seen this happen when using super el-cheapo $5 enclosures from a Chinatown computer store or a sale at MicroCenter. Some do and some don't. Enclosures with Oxford chipsets never give me a problem on any modern Firewire Mac except for some early G3 towers and the Yikes! G4.

I'm using a 1TB WD MyBook Studio that was completely unusable over firewire, so I'm using it over USB. Definitely not el-cheapo, but it's definitely a piece of poo poo enclosure.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Is there any reason why my p key wouldn't repeat when held down on my 13" MBP?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

Is there any reason why my p key wouldn't repeat when held down on my 13" MBP?

In Lion a new feature was introduced similar to what is on the iOS devices (Holding down a key offers up different language/accented characters -- Try holding down n for example). I don't know of any accented "p" characters, so maybe that's your problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Phiberoptik posted:

Does anyone know if its possible to use the new cinema display on a PC or older mac that doesn't have thunderbolt?

I've sort of had some clarification on this, but nothing is confirmed since the new display is not even out yet.

To clarify, they appear to be still selling the older "Cinema Display" for $1000, and this new "Thunderbolt Display" along side it. I would assume you could get a Thunderbolt to ____ adaptor and it would work fine as a monitor, but you are not going to be able to use any of the connections on the Thunderbolt Display because it all connects through the Thunderbolt Cable.

Meanwhile, they still sell the Cinema Display which has three cables coming out of it for MagSafe, Mini Display, and USB, and then you can still plug that USB cord into any computer to take advantage of the three ports on the back. But you'll still need to buy a Mini Display to ____ adaptor to get it to work

The 4 listed in the OP should do the trick
Mini-DP / Thunderbolt to VGA
Mini-DP / Thunderbolt to DVI
Mini-DP / Thunderbolt to HDMI
Mini-DP / Thunderbolt to DP

So I'm sort of in the same boat... I'm trying to weight the option of getting the Cinema Display now and be able to actually use the USB ports on the back. Or get a Thunderbolt display and future proof myself for when I eventually someday get a computer that supports it.

Edit: So the other day I pointed out that on the Thunderbolt Display page they show the MacPro next to the display in the photos, even though it's impossible to connect a Thunderbolt Display to a current generation MacPro properly since none of them support Thunderbolt with noway to add them. Well... since then they've taken down that image. I guess that clarifies that.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 22, 2011