Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Iron Crowned posted:

I think he may be talking about, you know, the ad for it. You know, "When I say mango, you say pineapple!"

That would make sense, wouldn't it... I've had the good fortune to not see that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

I am still infuriated when ever I see a ad for a pickup truck. They still maintain the fiction that these are real trucks for real men with real jobs and show them towing giant stone blocks, or carrying the engine for a battleship.

I remember hearing once that something like 35-40% of all pickups built go into fleet service. Enough that it makes white the most common color for pickups, but regular people rarely buy white trucks.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Kanish posted:

I just saw a ad for a new A&E series, American Hoggers....:ughh:

I remember when A&E used to show ballet and opera performances, something that actually relates to the term "arts & entertainment." Now, it's 14 hours of C.S.I. Miami, 6 hours of stupid reality poo poo like this, and four hours of infomercials for dick enlarging pills. So close to canceling my cable for good...

DJExile posted:

Every ad is going to exaggerate claims though. It's really not any different from showing a hybrid driving a crazy amount of miles or a sports model doing figure-8s in the Salt Flats even though nobody's ever going to do that.

I always find it funny that commercial trucks drive through the muddiest bogs, acres of pig poo poo, hurricane force rain and rail, icy tundras and dusty backwater dirt roads, yet always arrive at its destination waxed and shiny as a dealership floor model. Even the commercials that try to show a little filth only end up putting a tiny bit of mud on the fenders, like the truck drove through a very small watery puddle once. It's like that commercial where the couple are trying to find their Jeep (?) in a vast canyon by clicking the alarm, only to have the sound echo everywhere. There it sits behind a big outcropping, as clean as if it's just had a major wash, wax and detail with q-tips and toothbrushes.

Yeah, yeah, if I were a manufacturer of something, I'd want it to look clean and new rather than filthy and unappealing, too, but at least give me a little realism eveery now and again, please. Some folks actually use and abuse their trucks and/or 4-wheel drives.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Iron Crowned posted:

I think he may be talking about, you know, the ad for it. You know, "When I say mango, you say pineapple!"

I'm sure that ad has the hip young urban demographic salivating for mango-pineapple drinks.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DJExile posted:

Every ad is going to exaggerate claims though. It's really not any different from showing a hybrid driving a crazy amount of miles or a sports model doing figure-8s in the Salt Flats even though nobody's ever going to do that.

True, but at the same time, do they make the ad about the Prius showing it as a rally car or drag racing? The majority of Pickups are not bought by ranchers who need to manually plant fence posts. I know advertising on a fantasy is pretty much par for the course, but it just infuriates me because its not like a beer add which has the fantasy of "drink this, gently caress women" but the fantasy of "you're not a real man unless you drive a giant truck, because giant trucks are what real men drive!".

I'd love to see an hybrid ad done in the style of truck ads. Having a Prius bring driven by big many men who bare handed catch wild horses or pull tanks out of the mud.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

The majority of Pickups are not bought by ranchers who need to manually plant fence posts.

Sales information and demographic studies of truck ownership say you are completely wrong.

The average pickup is going to be purchased for an industrial owner or a middle class buyer rural in the Rockies as a second household vehicle

Sash! fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 19, 2011

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

You Are A Elf posted:

Yeah, yeah, if I were a manufacturer of something, I'd want it to look clean and new rather than filthy and unappealing, too, but at least give me a little realism eveery now and again, please. Some folks actually use and abuse their trucks and/or 4-wheel drives.

I think it's Subaru that has a commercial where the guy's Outback is loving filthy and only gets cleaned when it rains on the car. Kind of a nice change. Although for realism it should be a lesbian :v:

I love driving out on i-80 through the salt flats and you can see all the places where the dumb shits drove out in their big trucks and got stuck. Yeah, that only looks like cement, buddy. It's actually mush under a half inch crust for 80% of the year.

unhwillneverwin
Oct 16, 2010

Smashing through the boundaries
Lunacy has found me
Cannot stop the battery!
Dear Vizio,

You make a great point about the decline of western civilization that a man would rather watch a video of Beyonce rather than enjoy Beyonce in the flesh. Oh wait, you are trying to get me to buy your tv. That's just hosed up. Here's the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZVAX69ujEU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

unhwillneverwin posted:

Dear Vizio,

You make a great point about the decline of western civilization that a man would rather watch a video of Beyonce rather than enjoy Beyonce in the flesh. Oh wait, you are trying to get me to buy your tv. That's just hosed up. Here's the video.

And apparently minorities are controlled at the turn of a dial. Or something.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sash! posted:

Sales information and demographic studies of truck ownership say you are completely wrong.

So what you're saying is that the majority of pickups are bought by ranchers who need to manually plant fence posts?

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

unhwillneverwin posted:

Dear Vizio,

Why would someone want either? Every time she "dances", she has a standing epileptic fit. Seriously, at the end there she's just spazzing out under the control of the Beyonce Dial. Poor, spastic, crazy Beyonce. She knows only the toil of The Dial now...

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

unhwillneverwin posted:

Dear Vizio,

Reminds me of that one ad where she was singing UPGRADE and looks at the camera at some point, while still dancing, and says "NOW LEMME UPGRADE YOU etc etc."

Mister E
Oct 2, 2006

by exmarx
How do you convince people to adopt alternative energy solutions? How about getting a kid to act like a condescending douchenozzle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAoLBlVizY8

Move over Highlander kid, you've been outsmugged by the new king.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

That Justin Timberlake sex movie I can't remember the name of has been getting shitload of ad-time for like a month now. Who wants to see a movie about Justin Timberlake getting laid? Seriously, where's the appeal? I guess they're shooting for 15 year olds who are just there hoping for a possible topless scene but are too chickenshit to type "boobs" into google.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Justin Timberlake has my respect forever for making fun of Joe Buck's terrible announcing at the MLB All-Star Game.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Y-Hat posted:

Justin Timberlake has my respect forever for making fun of Joe Buck's terrible announcing at the MLB All-Star Game.

Please tell me there's a YouTube of this.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

That Justin Timberlake sex movie I can't remember the name of has been getting shitload of ad-time for like a month now. Who wants to see a movie about Justin Timberlake getting laid? Seriously, where's the appeal? I guess they're shooting for 15 year olds who are just there hoping for a possible topless scene but are too chickenshit to type "boobs" into google.

Have you heard of the concept of a "chick flick"?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Moon Monster posted:

What bothers me most about that commercial is the part where they show Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake, presumably having just finished doing it, and they both fall back on the bed exhaling heavily. How is this possible? Who was on top???
(and yes I'm aware this is extremely :goonsay:)

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

raditts posted:

What bothers me most about that commercial is the part where they show Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake, presumably having just finished doing it, and they both fall back on the bed exhaling heavily. How is this possible? Who was on top???
(and yes I'm aware this is extremely :goonsay:)

They could have been in the lotus position and both falling off to the side upon completion.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Please tell me there's a YouTube of this.

Nope. :( MLB works pretty fast to pull everything that hits youtube.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

DJExile posted:

Nope. :( MLB works pretty fast to pull everything that hits youtube.

http://www.amazinavenue.com/2011/7/12/2273187/transcript-of-justin-timberlake-trolling-joe-buck-on-live-television

There's video down at the bottom, not sure how long it'll last.

"Just a classy guy with a ... classy voice"

Harking back to the lovely hhgregg commercials with the Help cover, there's one that's been playing lately with a woman getting frustrated by her washing machine - granted, she's trying to close the lid when she has obviously overloaded it with clothes (as in they're spilling out the top) and pours detergent into the little measuring cap until it overflows all over her hand, and she throws up her arms in annoyance. I don't think that buying a new washing machine will help those problems, lady.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Mister E posted:

How do you convince people to adopt alternative energy solutions? How about getting a kid to act like a condescending douchenozzle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAoLBlVizY8

Move over Highlander kid, you've been outsmugged by the new king.

Oh, man. Like, I know what they're going for in the "You're destroying our planet, kids are our future", but if there's one thing people hate more than nearly anything, it's kids trying to teach them things.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Buzkashi posted:

http://www.amazinavenue.com/2011/7/12/2273187/transcript-of-justin-timberlake-trolling-joe-buck-on-live-television

hahahahaha goddamn that's great. You can tell Buck knows he's busting his chops too.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

SpacePig posted:

but if there's one thing people hate more than nearly anything, it's kids trying to teach them things.

Or anyone doing the hellOOOO! thing. 10x worse when it's a little punk rear end like that.

How environmentally responsible is it for a <10 year kid to have a laptop, a tablet and a smartphone? You'd have to assume all the others family members have these things too.

VVV Mila Kunis might actually attract male viewers to this one (in hopes of a topless scene) VVV

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 21, 2011

unhwillneverwin
Oct 16, 2010

Smashing through the boundaries
Lunacy has found me
Cannot stop the battery!

The Moon Monster posted:

Plus they made this same loving movie six months ago with Natalie Portman and Ashton Kutcher. Very creative, Hollywood! :bravo:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

unhwillneverwin posted:

Plus they made this same loving movie six months ago with Natalie Portman and Ashton Kutcher. Very creative, Hollywood! :bravo:

Yeah, and they even copied the title design. But for what it's worth, this has the potential to be a better movie; Will Gluck directed Easy A, which is far, far better than it has any right to be.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Buzkashi posted:

Harking back to the lovely hhgregg commercials with the Help cover, there's one that's been playing lately with a woman getting frustrated by her washing machine - granted, she's trying to close the lid when she has obviously overloaded it with clothes (as in they're spilling out the top) and pours detergent into the little measuring cap until it overflows all over her hand, and she throws up her arms in annoyance. I don't think that buying a new washing machine will help those problems, lady.

Oh man I laughed hard at this

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

unhwillneverwin posted:

To be fair, they just coincidentally started filming a few months apart. Two writers had the same idea at the same time.
I'm not saying that either of them are good, I'm just suggesting that Friends With Benefits is not ripping off No Strings Attached. They just have the same concept by chance.
e: :goonsay:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Buzkashi posted:

I get that he's mocking him, but I think I'm missing why it's supposed to be so funny.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

I get that he's mocking him, but I think I'm missing why it's supposed to be so funny.

Buck admitted he isn't really wild about calling MLB games these days and is pretty much only doing it for a paycheck. He's boring to listen to at best and annoying at worst. Same for his NFL play-by-play.

E: Also for better or worse, he's always going to be compared to his father Jack Buck who was a fantastic announcer.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

The Steak Justice posted:

To be fair, they just coincidentally started filming a few months apart. Two writers had the same idea at the same time.
I'm not saying that either of them are good, I'm just suggesting that Friends With Benefits is not ripping off No Strings Attached. They just have the same concept by chance.
e: :goonsay:

In a few months there will a movie just called "gently caress Buddies" with Shia LeBouf and Emma Stone.

aquatic sideshow
Nov 21, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
Wendy's, how do I hate thee: let me count the ways.

First of all, the very idea that anyone would ever have a webcam conversation with a fictional character created for the exclusive purpose of selling fast food is frankly disgusting.

Secondly, the idea that said webcam conversation would be broadcast on national television thousands of times per day is also disgusting.

Thirdly, the idea that you just cook up these hilarious situations in response to the fake situations concoted by fake people in conversation with a fake character and expect us to think anything but "oh my god Wendy's is loving populated by retards and their marketing department is worse", is so terrible I can't even finish this run-on sentence.

I know those commercials are not supposed to be taken seriously. It's all just so goddamn offensive to every part of the intellect I don't care how :goonsay: it is. gently caress you, Wendy's. I hope a rhino shits E.coli into your frosty supply.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

aquatic sideshow posted:

First of all, the very idea that anyone would ever have a webcam conversation with a fictional character created for the exclusive purpose of selling fast food is frankly disgusting.

I can't say I've seen the comercial in question, but for the record, Wendy does exist, or did exist, she's Dave Thomas's daughter.
:goonsay:

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Iron Crowned posted:

I can't say I've seen the comercial in question, but for the record, Wendy does exist, or did exist, she's Dave Thomas's daughter.
:goonsay:

Unfortunately, from what I can find there's no evidence that she does the actual voice, so yeah the people are talking to the fictional version.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

In a few months there will a movie just called "gently caress Buddies" with Shia LeBouf and Emma Stone.

Funny you mention her. According to a newspaper review, she's in the first ten minutes of Friends With Benefits, dumping Justin Timberlake.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I've been seeing a lot of AT&T's commercial with the dumb father again lately. It's the one where he's told the new AT&T internet has an invisible cord and when he asks for it at the end of the spot, he's told he's always had an invisible cord.

I want to punch my TV every time it's on and I mute commercials.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I just saw this on TV, and I definitely did not see the end coming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxW_ZCd64tg

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

raditts posted:

How about the fact that Cleopatra is apparently a dude?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

raditts posted:

Well, it certainly isn't my favorite Summer's Eve joint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OfDeathandTaverns
Apr 1, 2007
Holy Cow!!
this ad might be worse than that Victoria's Secret ad from a few years ago that had a limerick that rhymed air with air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFYryDW9f_4

It's the Geico commercial that says "does it take two to tango?" and then completely misunderstands the point of the adage by showing three people trying to tango. The whole point of the saying is that there are some things you cannot do on your own. So the ad should be showing one person trying to tango.