Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

It was like the Colosseum in Rome and we were the Christians." - Bobby Dodd, on playing at LSU's Tiger Stadium

Habibi posted:

First, Tommen, not Joff. Second, I interpreted that scene as Tyrion trying to protect Shae. He's relieved when, after Cersei's rant, they bring out Allaakbarayaya, but he can't let that show because it may tip Cersei off that they've got the wrong person, so he has to go with it and pretend as if she really does mean a lot to him in order to prevent Cersei from putting two and two together (yeah he's giving Cersei a lot of credit) and dragging a certain other whore into the room.

Yeah, you're right about it being Tommy Boy. Dunno why I wrote Joffrey.

I see what you're saying, and yeah he went along with it to protect Shae, but he could have gone along with it without acting like he was in love with a whore. It'd be the 2nd time that his family knows of, but this time he knew she was a whore, unlike Tysha. They know that.

The thing is, if they did have Shae, he would have made the same threats probably...and halfway meant them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Doctor's orders, they had to cut down on their salt intake.

Which also makes me realize that The Others creep me out more now that we know they can zombify animals too. The "dead things in the water" at Hardhome make me think of undead sea lions, seals, and narwals attacking the ships.

Really creepy letter, considering how often poo poo dies in the ocean.

One good thing about this book: we learn the Doom of Valyria was a tsunami.

menino fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 22, 2011

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I know most of you guys are done, but work has slowed my reading pace significantly.

I just got to the chapter where Danerys finally meets Quentyn and he makes his offer. What struck me most was her referring to Barristan as "Ser Grandpa" in her internal monologue. She's loving up big time. She needs to keep Dario in line. Keep him around as a soldier and tool to satisfy her lusts. She shouldn't be letting that piece of garbage influence her opinion on one of the greatest living knights in Westerosi history. Especially when that knight happens to be in her service.

Someone kill Dario already.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

threeagainstfour posted:

I know most of you guys are done, but work has slowed my reading pace significantly.

I just got to the chapter where Danerys finally meets Quentyn and he makes his offer. What struck me most was her referring to Barristan as "Ser Grandpa" in her internal monologue. She's loving up big time. She needs to keep Dario in line. Keep him around as a soldier and tool to satisfy her lusts. She shouldn't be letting that piece of garbage influence her opinion on one of the greatest living knights in Westerosi history. Especially when that knight happens to be in her service.

Someone kill Dario already.

Welcome to the last 40 pages or so of this thread.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

I pretty much got the feeling that Barristan is going to ride out to fight for Meereen, and Dany's going to head east without anyone. Meaning all the Unsullied, the freedmen, the whole Meereen plot... we'll probably hear about it in passing in the next book and basically you'll realize the whole loving thing could have been skipped over. Quite the knot.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mormont is totally killing Selmy.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

It was like the Colosseum in Rome and we were the Christians." - Bobby Dodd, on playing at LSU's Tiger Stadium

menino posted:

One good thing about this book: we learn the Doom of Valyria was a tsunami.

No dude, you read it wrong. The Doom was volcanic in nature. It caused a tsunami that wiped out the Island of Cedars, where Victarion was chillin' with the monkeys.

Tyrion posted:

Valyria. It was written that on the day of Doom every hill for five hundred miles had split asunder to fill the air with ash and smoke and fire, blazes so hot and hungry that even the dragons in the sky were engulfed and consumed. Great rents had opened in the earth, swallowing palaces, temples, entire towns. Lakes boiled or turned to acid, mountains burst, fiery fountains spewed molten rock a thousand feet into the air, red clouds rained down dragonglass and the black blood of demons, and to the north the ground splintered and collapsed and fell in on itself and an angry sea came rushing in. The proudest city in all the world was gone in an instant, its fabled empire vanished in a day, the Lands of the Long Summer scorched and drowned and blighted.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

After slogging through literally thousands of pages, can someone answer me: Is Sandor Clegane is still alive?

It's just freaking hard to keep track of so many characters, and the index reads like the lineage entries of the Silmarillion.

cuddlefish
Nov 11, 2003

That was a game.

This is paintball.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

After slogging through literally thousands of pages, can someone answer me: Is Sandor Clegane is still alive?

It's just freaking hard to keep track of so many characters, and the index reads like the lineage entries of the Silmarillion.

Yes. He is most likely here- the huge gimpy dude with the convenient hood over his face.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

cuddlefish posted:

Yes. He is most likely here- the huge gimpy dude with the convenient hood over his face.

ok cool, because I was considering not finishing this book until later if he died before his chance at redemption.

Edit: Grammar

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 22, 2011

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

ok cool, because I was considering not finishing this book until later if he died before his chance at redemption.

Edit: Grammar

Don't worry. There is still plenty of time for him to be betrayed and poisoned by Littlefinger while trying to save Sansa.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Don't worry. There is still plenty of time for him to be betrayed and poisoned by Littlefinger while trying to save Sansa.

Betrayal requires trust.

Edit: He'll probably die in a successful rescue of Sansa.

cuddlefish
Nov 11, 2003

That was a game.

This is paintball.
Not nearly hosed-up enough. Sansa will have him thrown out the moon door after Littlefinger convinces her the Hound played his role and nudged Joff into killing Ned.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

cuddlefish posted:

Not nearly hosed-up enough. Sansa will have him thrown out the moon door after Littlefinger convinces her the Hound played his role and nudged Joff into killing Ned.

...ugg.

Someone please tell me that Tyrion hasn't turned into a bitch. All he's done so far is whine about Tysha.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Cpt_Obvious posted:

...ugg.

Someone please tell me that Tyrion hasn't turned into a bitch. All he's done so far is whine about Tysha.

Sit down, this is going to be tough...

edit: VVVVV Well, hopefully Dorcas' name kept her from getting grabbed by her groats. After all, words are wind.

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 22, 2011

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Where do crossbows go? The whore went thrummm...

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Apropos of nothing...

I love that Cersei's maid is named Dorcas.

Poor thing must have had many and more japes thrown her way, and sadly they were not wrong. Dorcas is a terrible (-y funny) name.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I know fantasy, fantasy, but can stone actually support itself when you build that tall and big?

That said, Oldtown was my favorite setting so far and I hope we get to read more about it with Sam chapters in TWOW.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Contra Calculus posted:

Welcome to the last 40 pages or so of this thread.

This thread is wind.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Brannock posted:

I know fantasy, fantasy, but can stone actually support itself when you build that tall and big?
Almost certainly not, but unjustifiably large or weirdly situated buildings (Harrenhall, The Wall, The Eyrie) are one of two things you have to suspend your disbelief for in the series (the other is the way that plot-important characters have no recessive genes, at least as regards their hair/eye color).

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Brannock posted:

That said, Oldtown was my favorite setting so far and I hope we get to read more about it with Sam chapters in TWOW.

Sure it can, it depends on the actual dimensions though. See: the Lighthouse of Alexandria @ 45 stories high, which the Hightower appears to be partly based on. Witness:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Brannock posted:

Sure. It's very easy with a wizard to help.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Anyone else find it funny that the joke theory of Tyrion being a secret Targ got a new pair of legs this book?

Pretty short legs :rimshot: in my opinion though. Because there is no way Tywin wouldn't have known and there is no way Aerys would have lived a day after he put his little dragon into Joanna. Not against a guy who was mad in love with his wife and who was fiercely protective against any slight to him or his family und coincidentally controlled all of Westeros and especially King's Landing/the Red Keep.

FMguru posted:

Almost certainly not, but unjustifiably large or weirdly situated buildings (Harrenhall, The Wall, The Eyrie) are one of two things you have to suspend your disbelief for in the series (the other is the way that plot-important characters have no recessive genes, at least as regards their hair/eye color).

As far as I know without using steel framing and concrete you are limited to about 200 meters in height before a tower becomes too heavy to support itself. Higher if you use the pyramid shape. The builders had to use a lot of tricks for cathedrals, and the highest of those is about 160 meter (the last 30m or so mostly steep roof)

Decius fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 22, 2011

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
The guy who plays jon snow was at comiccon and in an interview he along with some other of the actors and actresses were asked what it was like knowing that they might die in the next script they would be handed and the guy who plays jon snow was like well i read the books so i know what happens except for the new book i havent read that yet so i think im safe so far :c00l:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
The 'Words are Wind' thing isn't new; I noticed it cropped up a couple of times in The Mystery Knight. It also stuck out like a sore thumb to me in the previous novels because I just find it a really irritating and fairly meaningless aphorism.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Neurosis posted:

The 'Words are Wind' thing isn't new; I noticed it cropped up a couple of times in The Mystery Knight. It also stuck out like a sore thumb to me in the previous novels because I just find it a really irritating and fairly meaningless aphorism.

Especially because so much emphasis is put in Westeros on oaths and loyalty.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Decius posted:

Pretty short legs :rimshot: in my opinion though. Because there is no way Tywin wouldn't have known and there is no way Aerys would have lived a day after he put his little dragon into Joanna. Not against a guy who was mad in love with his wife and who was fiercely protective against any slight to him or his family und coincidentally controlled all of Westeros and especially King's Landing/the Red Keep.

Well Selmy did say Aerys certain "liberties" with her on Tywin's wedding night. And I really don't think the Lannisters were even close to that powerful before Robert's rule. They had a lot of money for sure, but a lot of their current power seems to be from how indebted the kingdoom is to them.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

FMguru posted:

There is some suggestion that at least a few of the more impressive structures (explicitly the Wall and Storm's End) were built by Bran the Builder some 8000 years ago. Things from that far back seem to have magical properties, so it's entirely possible that the Eyrie and the Hightower were also built with magic.

Harrenhal, though, almost certainly wasn't since it was built shortly before the Targaryen Conquest, after the Doom of Valyria and the supposed death of magic in the west.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well Selmy did say Aerys certain "liberties" with her on Tywin's wedding night.

Yeah, I think he meant groping, as shown in all the other bedding ceremonies we've seen, I didn't take it "and Aerys hosed Joanna silly while Tywin stood outside the door, fuming".

And Tywin wouldn't have needed much to get rid of Aeyrs. He was the King's Hand, doing all the heavy lifting, while the king did at most as much as Robert. He could have him killed at anytime and have it look like an accident without an issue. Tywin wouldn't let such a thing fester or go unpunished, not even from a king, let alone a loony one.

Decius fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jul 22, 2011

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I think the implication is that he did a little more than just grope her because grabbing rear end and squeezing titties seems to be a pretty common part of the bedding process. But I don't think he slept with her that night.

As for the castles, remember that this world has been stuck at a medieval level of technology for centuries, so a lot of these castles just grow and grow and grow because as long as your enemy doesn't have dragons, a big, well stocked castle is still the best defense in the world. There's also the magically aided construction thing. Some sort of magic went into building Winterfell, the Eyrie, and Dragonstone, amongst others.

One neat tidbit I liked from Dance was the Valyrian roads. They're made from fused stones, which would seem to indicate that the Valyrians either used their dragons or somehow channeled lava to create their roads. That's a good bit of magic actually being put to practical purposes beyond killing poo poo and bringing it back to life, something a lot of fantasy world's lack.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Decius posted:

Yeah, I think he meant groping, as shown in all the other bedding ceremonies we've seen, I didn't take it "and Aerys hosed Joanna silly while Tywin stood outside the door, fuming".

And Tywin wouldn't have needed much to get rid of Aeyrs. He was the King's Hand, doing all the heavy lifting, while the king did at most as much as Robert. He could have him killed at anytime and have it look like an accident without an issue. Tywin wouldn't let such a thing fester or go unpunished, not even from a king, let alone a loony one.

Well, even if he hosed Joanna that night, that would have been the firstborn which is Jaime (and Cersei). I don't think that happened but it could establish that Aerys was attracted to Joanna and might have come to her later. Barristan stammered and was hesitant to reveal anything more about it. He was also privy to Aerys affairs as his Kingsguard though.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I wish this series used title drops, because I like stupid poo poo like that. Cursoesque one liners. Tyrion to Tywin at the end of GoT: "It looks like we're setting up for a clash...of kings!" Or Dance: Barristan about Quentyn: "The poor lad dared to pick a dance with dragons, and paid the price." I like this because if you say "A Song of Ice and Fire" to anyone who doesn't enjoy fantasy, you get funny looks. Small wonder they named the TV series Game of Thrones.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Game of Thrones has been dropped in all 5 books, and A Song of Ice and Fire in at least 1 of them.
I'm with you though.
Robb to Edmure: "We were all set to bring a storm down on Lord Tywin's head in the Westerlands but you hosed it up!"
E: "I didn't know! Robb I swear! But I don't get what you mean by a storm? Is this some sorcery?"
R: "A Storm...of Swords, you loving retard did Hoster drop you on your loving head as a child?"

Calef
Aug 21, 2007

Caufman posted:

Harrenhal, though, almost certainly wasn't since it was built shortly before the Targaryen Conquest, after the Doom of Valyria and the supposed death of magic in the west.

This reminded me how Tyrion, I think, in this book pointed out the mystery that the Valyrians certainly knew that Westeros was there, and ruled an empire extending over most of the world for thousands of years, and they had dragons this entire time, but no Valyrians attempted to invade Westeros at any point. Then after te Doom, the Targaryens are pretty much the only remaining Valyrians we know about, and they finally invade.

It is implied in the text that there must be some kind of mysterious explanation for this. My guess is that the Valyrians knew that the Great Other was on Westeros and were keeping away.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

Calef posted:

It is implied in the text that there must be some kind of mysterious explanation for this. My guess is that the Valyrians knew that the Great Other was on Westeros and were keeping away.

Maybe they didn't want the Greenseers to warg into their dragons.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Dance with dragons is dropped a few times. There's an old historical event called the Dance of the Dragons that's mentioned three or four times. The Windblown say 'dance with the dragon queen' when Quentyn and pals are hiring on and then Barristan says 'not all men are meant to dance with dragons' about Quentyn.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Ray_ posted:

Game of Thrones has been dropped in all 5 books, and A Song of Ice and Fire in at least 1 of them.
I'm with you though.
Robb to Edmure: "We were all set to bring a storm down on Lord Tywin's head in the Westerlands but you hosed it up!"
E: "I didn't know! Robb I swear! But I don't get what you mean by a storm? Is this some sorcery?"
R: "A Storm...of Swords, you loving retard did Hoster drop you on your loving head as a child?"

Are Robb and Edmure supposed to be 15-year olds playing Call of Duty or something?

edit: VVVVVV :drat:

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 22, 2011

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Contra Calculus posted:

Are Robb and Edmure supposed to be 15-year olds playing Call of Duty or something?

Well, Robb was a 15 year old playing at king. OH SNAP!

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

lapse posted:

I was actually getting kind of lost trying to remember the names of all the Mereen characters.
I know it's terribly Anglocentric of me, but I wondered how much it would help if I were able to go through eBook and search/replace Yezzan zo Qaggaz with "Fat Jimmy" Hizdahr zo Loraq with "Bruce" and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
There were really only four important Meereenese: Hizdahr, Galazza Galare, the Shavepate (easy enough to remember, at least), and Reznak. Everyone else is pretty much incidental.