Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Now that I look at it more, I can't seem to get NinjaKit to install ANY greasemonkey userscript. Clicking the "Install" link brings up what I assume (based on the japanese text) is the NinjaKit install dialog, but then after I click the install button there, it doesn't show as a script in the "scripts" pane of NinjaKit's interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 5, 2023

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

echobucket posted:

My parent have a white 24" core 2 duo 2.16Ghz machine, but it has the Nvidia 7300GT video card in it. I guess I"m going to upgrade them, but your post is making me leery.

Give it a shot, the nVidia drivers might give you a different experience.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Are you sure you upgraded to Lion?

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.

Footboy posted:

One of the big reasons I upgraded to Lion was the enhanced trackpad support, but I'm not seeing any of it.

:confused:

Are you on a really old Mac that doesn't support multitouch?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Maybe he has a custom trackpad driver installed somehow?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Footboy posted:

One of the big reasons I upgraded to Lion was the enhanced trackpad support, but I'm not seeing any of it.

I'm going to go ahead and guess you're on an old Macbook with plastic trackpad (the kind with a big button at the bottom).

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
I notice his trackpad panel has old pre-lion checkboxes... Weird.

Oh, never mind, that's what the look like.. I was looking at the other screenshot and assumed checkboxes were grey now.. but they are still blue.

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 5, 2023

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Footboy posted:

It supports two-finger scrolling. It used to support pinch-zooming, but now it just wants to right-click whenever I try.

Yeah, those trackpads max out at two-finger gestures only, and I think just scrolling (they could pinch-zoom, but it was terrible in my experience).

Lion's advanced gestures are only on the new glass trackpads. You can get a Magic Trackpad, or alternately get a new Macbook. :v:

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 22, 2011

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Lum_ posted:

http://sparkleshare.org/

Essentially this is a front-end for git. Works pretty well on Snow Leopard and Linux, not so well for Windows, not at all for Lion (yet).

Dropbox is essentially a slick front end to SVN + rsync, so you could roll your own with a little effort.

I've used Tower as a git front-end on a job site. Would this be the same thing? I would like it to be pretty transparent in general, but I'm also not a coder so I don't think I could write my own, if that's what you mean. Looking into this though, thank you.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

echobucket posted:

Well, I hit my first big software incompatibility with Lion. Office Communicator 2011 crashes when you try to send an IM. :(

Are there any alternative communicator clients for the Mac?

Downgrading to build 13.0 will fix this for now - builds 13.1 and 13.1.1 will both crash when sending or receiving an IM.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

qutius posted:

Downgrading to build 13.0 will fix this for now - builds 13.1 and 13.1.1 will both crash when sending or receiving an IM.

Where can you get 13.0 to downgrade from?

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Gordon Cole posted:

They made Safari a special case that requires two-finger navigation instead of three, and made every other app break when two-finger navigation is enabled.

It also works in Preview and iCal (though the iCal animation works differently). There's a new API.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

echobucket posted:

Where can you get 13.0 to downgrade from?

We had a copy sitting around somewhere that was getting passed around to all of us Mac users. I uploaded it to Mediafire in case you want to grab it:

http://www.mediafire.com/?t8cp65n9214bb0d

I don't think I'm breaking any rules here... :ohdear:

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
So if you want apps that don't support Lion full screen yet to work with Lion, chpwn has come up with a hack.

http://chpwn.com/apps/maximizer.html

I tried it, it works with some of my Cocoa apps, but not all of them behave correctly.

Twitter is hilarious in full screen.

The Finder just goes nuts in full screen.

On a bonus, Firefox, TextMate and Transmit all worked fine.

As well as Adobe Lightroom as long as I put it in a window before I launch it and don't use Lightroom's built in full screen mode.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

So I couldn't create the Lion disc because my system removed the installer after it installed. I put in my SL DVD and held down C, got to the bootup, ran disk utility, and erased/reformatted my drive.

Now I'm getting this, and I have no idea what to do:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Krakkles posted:

So I couldn't create the Lion disc because my system removed the installer after it installed. I put in my SL DVD and held down C, got to the bootup, ran disk utility, and erased/reformatted my drive.

[timg]attachment.php?postid=393819967[/timg]

Is it possible it's not formatted with GUID partition table?

Edit: Also if you are wanting to reinstall SL , you might have to go into disk utility and remove Lion's recovery partition. Or if you want to install Lion fresh, just boot from the recovery partition and do an install.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Why is Time Machine an anal retentive bitch now?

Before, I would backup about once a day (or every two days depending on file changes) to an external hard drive. This worked fine, and I would only get the ( ! ) up top when it was longer than a week from the last backup. I liked this because it was a good reminder.

Now I get the ( ! ) after like 30mins - 1hr after removing the external HD. Why? Is this behavior I can change? Or is this a new Lion 'feature'?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Krakkles posted:

Try going back to Disk Utility and follow this guide http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-Mac-OS-X-v10-5-Leopard/751/1

I think something got messed up when you manually wiped the drive. It would have done it for you in the correct format when installing Snow Leopard.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Can I upgrade Lion from a home made Lion boot disk?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Krakkles posted:

The third post in the thread tells you how to get Lion if you'd already downloaded it. :(

Ziploc posted:

Can I upgrade Lion from a home made Lion boot disk?

Yep. just did it yesterday. Just run the .dmg. It will ask if you want to upgrade.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
The new Macbook Airs have a dedicated Launchpad key in place of the old Dashboard key. Is there any way to re-map the Dashboard key to Launchpad on the (slightly) older bluetooth keyboards? I'm using a Magic Mouse so I only have a gesture to activate Mission Control, but I'd like some sort of easy access to Launchpad as well rather than having to move the mouse cursor and click the icon (which defeats the idea of a quick application launcher).

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Doctor Zero posted:

Yep. just did it yesterday. Just run the .dmg. It will ask if you want to upgrade.

Run the InstallESD.dmg?

gregday
May 23, 2003

This was announced at WWDC but it's public now: OpenSSL libraries are officially deprecated. You can check it yourself (otool -L /usr/bin/ssh) and see that it links against the new /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework instead of libssl.

I think the main reason was the constant ABI breakage in openssl updates, but still, kinda weird to be using ssh on a Unix system that doesn't use OpenSSL.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Try going back to Disk Utility and follow this guide http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-Mac-OS-X-v10-5-Leopard/751/1

I think something got messed up when you manually wiped the drive. It would have done it for you in the correct format when installing Snow Leopard.
Pretty sure you have to manually wipe it if you have Lion installed - the installer won't let you downgrade. Or I couldn't figure out how to, anyway.

My non-techy girlfriend was the right person to consult about this - she clicked go back, went back to the beginning, and started over, and it worked.

Doctor Zero posted:

The third post in the thread tells you how to get Lion if you'd already downloaded it. :(
Really? :rolleyes:

The point is that it became less useful to do that FIRST because if I just reinstall SL, I can leave it up and running and downloading Lion, rather than redownloading Lion and then making an install disc then reinstalling it. If it were already on my computer, it would make sense to do that. Since it's not, it's now moot.

Ziploc posted:

Before, I would backup about once a day (or every two days depending on file changes) to an external hard drive. This worked fine, and I would only get the ( ! ) up top when it was longer than a week from the last backup. I liked this because it was a good reminder.

Now I get the ( ! ) after like 30mins - 1hr after removing the external HD. Why? Is this behavior I can change? Or is this a new Lion 'feature'?
Pretty sure it's a new "feature". I haven't found a way to change it, anyway.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Installing the new Xcode now because MacPorts 2.0 was released today and it requires it.

Footboy posted:

This is what it looked like on my core 2 duo machine cause the trackpad doesn't support more than 2 fingers I guess.

Bush Muncher
Aug 25, 2005

What? 100 thtitcheth? 7 mithing teeth? Eh, I'll just thkate it off.

Space Racist posted:

The new Macbook Airs have a dedicated Launchpad key in place of the old Dashboard key. Is there any way to re-map the Dashboard key to Launchpad on the (slightly) older bluetooth keyboards? I'm using a Magic Mouse so I only have a gesture to activate Mission Control, but I'd like some sort of easy access to Launchpad as well rather than having to move the mouse cursor and click the icon (which defeats the idea of a quick application launcher).

Saw this story on TUAW earlier today offering a work around (free app + quicksilver remapping keys).

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/07/22/make-your-pre-lion-keyboard-work-with-launchpad/

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Bush Muncher posted:

Saw this story on TUAW earlier today offering a work around (free app + quicksilver remapping keys).

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/07/22/make-your-pre-lion-keyboard-work-with-launchpad/

Awesome, I'll give this a try later. Thanks.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Do you have Skype in /Applications and ~/Applications, maybe?

Spotlight turns up only one Skype.app.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

x-virge posted:

It also works in Preview and iCal (though the iCal animation works differently). There's a new API.

Still, only implementing it in three of their own apps doesn't really encourage user adoption of two-finger navigation. At the very least they could have made it so that three-finger swipes still work in apps that don't support the new API yet.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

echobucket posted:

My parent have a white 24" core 2 duo 2.16Ghz machine, but it has the Nvidia 7300GT video card in it. I guess I"m going to upgrade them, but your post is making me leery.

From last page, but I didn't see any replies.

I have the same machine but a little older - 2.4ghz, 7600GT and my Lion experience has been quite good. No issues whatsoever, apart from my XBMC on my AppleTV doesn't work with the new samba in Lion. :)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

My co-worker upgraded to Lion the other day, and it froze during the upgrade. When he got it going again, all of his mail was gone. He apparently got in touch with Fruit and they put remote desktop on his late 2010 iMac and helped him recover everything off of his servers, but the past five years of emails is gone. These include important emails from good friends etc.

Luckily he has a time machine backup. My question is: how does he restore the old emails from the Time Machine, and after that, where are they located so he can back them up on a DVD?

he;lp :(

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Ziploc posted:

Run the InstallESD.dmg?

Yep.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Make a HoTS thread. This is getting ridiculous.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I want to get a website up for my wife's pastry business and was wondering if I had any other WYSIWYG HTML editors options other than iWeb.

Anybody have any recommendations? Free is preferred, but I'm open to anything.

Thanks!

satsu
Mar 29, 2004

It's a compulsion! I have my reasons.

wdarkk posted:

Now that I look at it more, I can't seem to get NinjaKit to install ANY greasemonkey userscript. Clicking the "Install" link brings up what I assume (based on the japanese text) is the NinjaKit install dialog, but then after I click the install button there, it doesn't show as a script in the "scripts" pane of NinjaKit's interface.

For what it's worth, the Japanese says "You should only install scripts from sources you trust."

Also, I have the same issue, but it looks like the script that I attempted did actually install correctly even though it doesn't appear in the list of scripts. It's a bit odd. Have you checked to see if the script is working?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

satsu posted:

For what it's worth, the Japanese says "You should only install scripts from sources you trust."

Also, I have the same issue, but it looks like the script that I attempted did actually install correctly even though it doesn't appear in the list of scripts. It's a bit odd. Have you checked to see if the script is working?

The timg script is not working for me. Did you paste it in from "add script" or did you do something else?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

dexter6 posted:

I want to get a website up for my wife's pastry business and was wondering if I had any other WYSIWYG HTML editors options other than iWeb.

Anybody have any recommendations? Free is preferred, but I'm open to anything.

Thanks!

It's not free, but Rapidweaver is a great wysiwyg web design package that allows you to get into the guts of the code if you want to, but don't HAVE to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ziploc posted:

The new Lion feature is local TM backups when the external drive is absent. I think the exclamation mark appears when TM has created a local backup but hasn't gotten the chance to move it to the external drive.