Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

euphronius posted:

Mormont is totally killing Selmy.
Not on the best day of his life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

NihilCredo posted:

The reason Jorah risked his life for Dany was love (or infatuation), not loyalty. (He sucked at loyalty. Had loyalty been what moved him, he would have stopped writing to Varys way, way before Qarth.)

That is not something you want to have to rely on. Best case he grows out of it and goes back to Varys; bad case he kills one or more other suitors out of jealousy; worst case he goes mad with unrequited love and commits murder-suicide.

He's also clearly not the most devoted servant. As her POV made clear, had he begged forgiveness for his actions like Barristan instead of getting all defensive and uppity, she would have probably kept him around. Barristan was all for pledging to her and letting her decide what to do. Jorah was all for trying to come out of it looking clean.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Well here's hoping she gets murdered at her own personal Red Wedding that could have been avoided if she hadn't split idiot hairs about "ugh he saved me from that assassin but he LIED about why!!" and I don't have to read her boring rear end povs anymore

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Iggles posted:

Not on the best day of his life

I don't think Jorah would even try. He had the honour to leave Longclaw on Bear Island. He would not try to kill the second greatest living knight (after Bloodraven).

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Neurosis posted:

I don't think Jorah would even try. He had the honour to leave Longclaw on Bear Island. He would not try to kill the second greatest living knight (after Bloodraven).
I'm not sure Bloodraven really counts as a "knight" anymore. Or even "living", for that matter.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I'm counting him because I think Bloodraven rules. If you discount him (as nearly anyone would) then Selmy is the greatest knight.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Ray_ posted:

Speaking of, was that one of the 3 treasons? :feelsgood:

Dany seems to think it was the treason for gold, she says it a few times. But she also seems to count everyone else as the possible third, especially Brown Ben, who didn't even matter much. She also seems to think that three is the limit, like she'll be safe from betrayal afterwards or some poo poo.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I'd like to see Selmy fight Ser Gregor. Then we'll see who the best living knight is. :smug:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

VaultAggie posted:

I'd like to see Selmy fight Ser Gregor. Then we'll see who the best living knight is. :smug:

Ser Robert Strong doesn't quite qualify as living.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

bigmcgaffney posted:

Dany seems to think it was the treason for gold, she says it a few times. But she also seems to count everyone else as the possible third, especially Brown Ben, who didn't even matter much. She also seems to think that three is the limit, like she'll be safe from betrayal afterwards or some poo poo.

When you put it that way, it makes it sound like she's approaching prophecy the same way Cersei does, i.e. "if condition X of prophecy Y is never fulfilled I'm immune from result Z even by other means".

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

VaultAggie posted:

I want zombie Gregor with Lady's/Ned's head sewn onto his body to fight DarkStar, dammit!

I mean, he is the most dangerous man in Dorne. (To twelve-year olds' ears).

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Brannock posted:

And he managed to dodge that completely ... I'm glad DWD came out but it did pretty much nothing to progress the plot. At least TWOW + ADOS should wrap the series up nicely, considering how much poo poo happened in ACOK + ASOS

Really? Everyone is in place for the big battle outside Mereen. Barristan is leading forward his forces. Victarion is sailing in with his fleet and his horn. Tyrion is turning the mercenaries, and Dany is on her way back with a dragon and maybe a whole new horde.

It's kind of lame the Essos stuff ends right on the eve of a battle that's shaping up to make the Blackwater look like a skirmish, but GRRM certainly untied his Mereenese knot. And big cliff hangers have characterized the last two books, so as much as I don't particularly like it, it's par for the current course.

Adama
May 28, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just caught up with the thread, and had a few questions after having finished the book last week:

1) What were Tyrion and that mercenary talking about regarding the dragons liking him so much?

2) Do Kevan and the rest of the council suspect that Robert Strong is really a living Clegane?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

euphronius posted:

The knot was not how to get Dany out, but how to sequence the many different people arriving to Meereen. At least that is what GRRM said in a quote posted a few pages back.

What indications are there that the order Tyrion, Victarion and Marwyn show up is important or complicated at all? Quentyn had exactly zero impact on the plot, Dany doesn't even know he's dead, he clearly could have showed up at any point.

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

Adama posted:

2) Do Kevan and the rest of the council suspect that Robert Strong is really a living Clegane?

Based on Kevan's thoughts, they pretty clearly know that it is/was Gregor and that he doesn't eat, sleep, or poo poo anymore.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Brannock posted:

Lots of EVENTS and character development happened, I recognize that, but I feel like we're still in the same place we were at the end of Storm of Swords: the realm is incredibly destabilized, people are dying left and right and there's a food crisis, the Others are abooooout to invade, and Daenerys is off in Essos.

This is where we were at the end of Clash of Kings, so I guess that means nothing happened in Storm of Swords either?

I still don't think the Iron Throne is going to be the hard part though, the hard part is going to be making the Others interesting. How do you have political machinations, intrigue and betrayal when one side is an unrelenting force of nature? How do you stop the series from turning into high magic good guys vs bad guys, when the guys who have been set up to invade from the first chapter of book one are (so far) the definition of unthinking evil?

I'm very interested to see how he keeps the tone of the series once the Others really come into play, we've only had tiny hints so far that there are forces who might be with the Others, and even then it's more groups that might be opposed to groups who might be able to deal with the Others.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

SmugDogMillionaire posted:

Based on Kevan's thoughts, they pretty clearly know that it is/was Gregor and that he doesn't eat, sleep, or poo poo anymore.

I'm hoping that the next book includes some kind of reaction to this among the King's Landing crew. It's one thing to have rumors of magic in other places but there has to be some kind of reaction among the "grumkins and snarks" people to an actual zombie golem thing stomping around.

I'm starting to think Varys' claims of hating magic magic are a bunch of bullshit, since he apparently supports the magic white haired pretty princess dynasty.

Something else is bugging me. If Varys is working with Illyrio and has been supporting Dany all along, why did he actually carry out Robert's orders to assassinate her?

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Ambiguatron posted:

Something else is bugging me. If Varys is working with Illyrio and has been supporting Dany all along, why did he actually carry out Robert's orders to assassinate her?
Maybe because Viserys were still alive by that point? And Aegon were chilling with Jon Cockington.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

Ambiguatron posted:

I'm starting to think Varys' claims of hating magic magic are a bunch of bullshit, since he apparently supports the magic white haired pretty princess dynasty.

That's one of the only things he's ever said that I actually believe... Granted I don't know how it reconciles, but I did believe him when he said that.

Ambiguatron posted:

Yeah that didn't really make sense, unless he somehow knew it was going to be foiled. Considering it turned out to be a close call, it was a pretty risky move if he was truly backing Dany.

I think ultimately their plan was that Aegon would be the guy. They couldn't have expected Dany to hatch dragons and take over cities. When they first came up with the plan, I think they were expecting Dany's role to be nothing more than an alliance with Drogo's army.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Ambiguatron posted:

Because Varys isn't supporting "Dany" at this point, he is supporting her brother who is quite impatient and pissed the Dothraki hordes aren't already invading the kingdom. At this point, Dany was just the clueless little princess they married to the Dothraki Warlord and she needed to die so her brother could cross the sea with a vengeance seeking Khal. Of course just after they decided to send the assassin her brother got his crown.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

the talent deficit posted:

What indications are there that the order Tyrion, Victarion and Marwyn show up is important or complicated at all? Quentyn had exactly zero impact on the plot, Dany doesn't even know he's dead, he clearly could have showed up at any point.

As long as Quentyn showed up TOO LATE and Victarion exactly when a fleet is needed, I don't think it mattered too much either.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

hampig posted:

This is where we were at the end of Clash of Kings, so I guess that means nothing happened in Storm of Swords either?

I still don't think the Iron Throne is going to be the hard part though, the hard part is going to be making the Others interesting. How do you have political machinations, intrigue and betrayal when one side is an unrelenting force of nature? How do you stop the series from turning into high magic good guys vs bad guys, when the guys who have been set up to invade from the first chapter of book one are (so far) the definition of unthinking evil?

I'm very interested to see how he keeps the tone of the series once the Others really come into play, we've only had tiny hints so far that there are forces who might be with the Others, and even then it's more groups that might be opposed to groups who might be able to deal with the Others.

I think GRRM has laid good groundwork for an interesting ending with the Others and the coming of winter and whatnot. Bran's chapters have shown the "Good" side of the wintry magics, and Melisandra has shown us the "Evil" side of the fiery magics. So the final conflict isn't going to be totally black and white. Also, Westeros is gonna be totally, totally hosed at the end of all this, so even if they do save the realm from the others, there's not gonna be much of a realm left.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

As he was killed Ned Stark warged into Balerion the black tomcat.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Who was that Quaithe person who Dany kept hallucinating and she said a bunch of prophetic crap that didn't even end up coming true, like beware the lion and the griffin and she didn't meet either of them and the perfumed seneschal who didn't do anything particularly bad

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Who was that Quaithe person who Dany kept hallucinating and she said a bunch of prophetic crap that didn't even end up coming true, like beware the lion and the griffin and she didn't meet either of them and the perfumed seneschal who didn't do anything particularly bad

Hasn't met them yet, you mean! Reznak Gro Urdan Uruk Hai hasn't done anything bad that we know of, but it is known that all, perfumed men in this series are evil! Victarion knows this all too well.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

She was one of the three people who came to Dany when her little khalasar was nearly dead after crossing the desert. She turns up like once per book to tell Dany the same thing about heading east to go west etc. She's also one of like 2 people we know of who is from Asshai.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

bigmcgaffney posted:

Victarion knows this all too well.

That was by far one of the funniest parts of the book. Victarion just chucks them overboard without a second thought.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Goddamit the perfumed sesechenal is a goddamn boat,

Also sandor is a monk, renly is gay and littlefinger is responsible for ned's beheading. Also, pies.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Whose boat is it

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Whose boat is it

A secret targ

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Smiling Jack posted:

A boat that sank. Great job, boat.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Vivek posted:

A boat that sank. Great job, boat.

Thats what I thought. GRRM makes a big deal that it translates to perfumed seneschal, so you think it could fit the prophecy, but then it sinks. Tyrion was aboard it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I assume by boat everyone means ship. :colbert:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The boat got Jorah and Tyrion to Mereen like it was supposed to. Either one of those two is going to gently caress Dany bad.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

euphronius posted:

I assume by boat everyone means ship. :colbert:

Oh right, the 'Stinky Steward' or whatever stupid joke Tyrion made that GRRM probably thought was hilarious.

No, it was a riverboat.

Also, I like to think that people keep telling Dany prophecies just to gently caress with her.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

It was like the Colosseum in Rome and we were the Christians." - Bobby Dodd, on playing at LSU's Tiger Stadium
Hmm, this is interesting when you compare it to the things Melisandre says about darkness/shadows/light:

Bloodraven teaching Bran posted:

There he sat, listening to the hoarse whispers of his teacher. “Never fear the darkness, Bran.” The lord’s words were accompanied by a faint rustling of wood and leaf, a slight twisting of his head. “The strongest trees are rooted in the dark places of the earth. Darkness will be your cloak, your shield, your mother’s milk. Darkness will make you strong.

Is Bran unknowingly studying to be a servant of the Great Other?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ray_ posted:

\

I made this point a few pages back. I connected Bloodraven to Coldhands and thus the Others. It could be that Bloodraven is directing the Others. And thus, eventually, Bran too. I agree.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I don't think so, there's been a pretty clear parallel drawn between the evil of Melisandre's magic and the benign nature of Bran's. Melisandre's requires the sacrifice of other people, while the magic of the children requires sacrifice of the self.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

It was like the Colosseum in Rome and we were the Christians." - Bobby Dodd, on playing at LSU's Tiger Stadium

Smiling Jack posted:

bigmcgaffney posted:

Thats what I thought. GRRM makes a big deal that it translates to perfumed seneschal, so you think it could fit the prophecy, but then it sinks. Tyrion was aboard it.

Don't think it sank. Pretty sure Tyrion and Jorah and Penny were on it when they got taken by slavers. It was wrecked from the storm, but it was still afloat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ray_ posted:

Hmm, this is interesting when you compare it to the things Melisandre says about darkness/shadows/light:

I thought there was a bit in Melisandre's chapter about how she sees the Great Other and his wolf companion or something like that. I thought about Bran then, or at least wargs in general.