Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobFossil
Jun 17, 2005

Note to self: I hate whites.
John Lasseter (of Pixar) – A Day in a Life

A day in the life of John Lasseter, chief creative officer at Pixar Studios.

http://www.coffeedocs.tv/2011/07/john-lasseter-of-pixar-a-day-in-a-life/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

BobFossil posted:

Before I watch, does this have a shot where he picks out a dumb shirt from a gigantic closet of dumb shirts?

BobFossil
Jun 17, 2005

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Before I watch, does this have a shot where he picks out a dumb shirt from a gigantic closet of dumb shirts?

yip.

gently caress his perfect life >:C

BobFossil fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 15, 2011

BobFossil
Jun 17, 2005

Stanley Kubrick’s Boxes

Stanley Kubrick's Boxes is a documentary film directed by Jon Ronson about the film director Stanley Kubrick. Ronson's intent was not to create a biography of the filmmaker but rather to understand Kubrick by studying the director's vast personal collection of memorabilia related to his feature films.

Following Kubrick's unexpected death. Ronson was invited to Kubrick's house by his widow. When he arrived at the house he found that half the house was filled by over one thousand boxes, each containing snap shots, newspaper clippings, film out-takes, notes, and fan letters which the director used for research towards each of his films.

http://www.coffeedocs.tv/2011/07/stanley-kubricks-boxes/

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
Hearts and Minds

"We weren't on the wrong side. We were the wrong side."

Has probably been posted before but I haven't seen it. The definitive Vietnam documentary. Full of the real human consequences of the US's meaningless war, some of the most iconic images of all time come from this film including the executed North Vietnamese soldier and the naked Vietnamese child running with her skin scared by napalm.
It's not balanced but, in my opinion, there's no reason it should be.

Watch it in full here:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8502739857306070849

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

BobFossil posted:

Stanley Kubrick’s Boxes

Stanley Kubrick's Boxes is a documentary film directed by Jon Ronson about the film director Stanley Kubrick. Ronson's intent was not to create a biography of the filmmaker but rather to understand Kubrick by studying the director's vast personal collection of memorabilia related to his feature films.

Following Kubrick's unexpected death. Ronson was invited to Kubrick's house by his widow. When he arrived at the house he found that half the house was filled by over one thousand boxes, each containing snap shots, newspaper clippings, film out-takes, notes, and fan letters which the director used for research towards each of his films.

http://www.coffeedocs.tv/2011/07/stanley-kubricks-boxes/

This is great. Thanks so much!

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

This is great, thank you. I didn't even read that it was made by Jon Ronson until I heard his voice. He was on an episode of This American Life a while back and I recognized it.

Edit: Stanley was a bit of a hoarder.

Drewsky fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 16, 2011

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Bliggers- posted:

The Secret World of Shoplifting - professional shoplifters exposed

I didn't see anyone else call this out yet, so: this is the biggest load of BS TV documentary I've seen. At about 8 minutes into Part 2 (I'm watching it on YouTube) Walgreens/CBC claim that Walgreens and other retailers put computerized tracking devices in their pill bottles so they can track shoplifters to their homes- purportedly to their exact addresses.

Seriously? Technology on that scale does not exist. If methods like this were actually used, most of it would be wasted on legitimate customers. Walgreens would then also be embroiled with all manner of litigation against them for tracking customers' movements.

The documentary also claims that photographs of repeat shoplifters are entered into a multi-store supernetwork dedicated to tracking down shoplifters. This info is also made available to other retailers- even competitors. No, it isn't. And even if this were true, are managers expected to study the faces of these shoplifters on the database and also stand guard at the door to identify them during all store hours?

This is either shoddy reporting that doesn't fact-check the claims of interviewers, or this is funded by retailers to spread the myth that if you steal a bottle of Benadryl cops will bust into your home and arrest you.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Christoph posted:

The documentary also claims that photographs of repeat shoplifters are entered into a multi-store supernetwork dedicated to tracking down shoplifters. This info is also made available to other retailers- even competitors. No, it isn't. And even if this were true, are managers expected to study the faces of these shoplifters on the database and also stand guard at the door to identify them during all store hours?

I worked at Wal-Mart in Canada for close to two years and there was only one instance I can recall where our Shoplifter Police (Loss Prevention) mentioned that they got word that a known shoplifter from the other Wal-Mart was in our store. The guy looked pretty crazy, wearing a gigantic winter coat and boots in May, The one main guy however found an opened package around the clothing area and went to work.

He hid behind clothing racks, he convinced other workers to help him and finally, after tracking him for over 10 minutes he decided to stop him in front of everybody and claim he stole something. Fact is, he didn't. His entire reasoning was that some other Loss Prevention person told him he's a common shoplifter. It might not have even been the same guy. It was all on a hunch. He got in big poo poo after it.

I can promise you that every single person I saw in the Loss Prevention office for the entire time I worked at two different stores never got their faces photographed by Wal-Mart or the Police. Most of them were let go as well. I can also promise you that Wal-Mart is a cheap company that would never spend money on that technology, especially after one of the top guys at the U.S. Wal-Mart stated in a public interview that the company really doesn't care if someone steals a product for under $10. That sent our store in a loving tizzy.

BobFossil
Jun 17, 2005

Drewsky posted:

This is great, thank you.

Glad you enjoyed it

The History of Final Fantasy

No interviews or anything here, just a dialogue over gameplay footage, but..

This is a brief (30 minute) chronological walkthough of the final fantasy series, though not quite up to date with the latest title (it mentions the upcoming FFXIII), the different gameplay mechanics, plot points, changes in technology, mini games as well as each game’s iteration of ‘Cid’ are all touched upon. Other titles outside the main series are also discussed.

http://www.coffeedocs.tv/2011/07/the-history-of-final-fantasy/

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

BobFossil posted:

The History of Final Fantasy
http://www.coffeedocs.tv/2011/07/the-history-of-final-fantasy/

I was disappointed by this. It only talks about release dates, graphics, and game mechanics... Which I guess is what you said, but for some reason I expected more.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Christoph posted:

I was disappointed by this. It only talks about release dates, graphics, and game mechanics... Which I guess is what you said, but for some reason I expected more.

Why did they show the PS1 remakes of FF1-2 instead of the originals? That's pretty dumb.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

The Scientist posted:

here's Mike Rowe's excellent, wonderful 20 minute talk at TED. Its great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRVdiHu1VCc

It's interesting that he goes right into the goat castration story. That must have left a giant impression, as I distinctly remember him talking about this for quite some time on Loveline years ago. I wonder if that's his ace in the hole conversation card.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Taima posted:

It's interesting that he goes right into the goat castration story. That must have left a giant impression, as I distinctly remember him talking about this for quite some time on Loveline years ago. I wonder if that's his ace in the hole conversation card.

It's a pretty crazy story, especially since the "humane" way isn't very humane.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I wouldn't call this a mini-doc, but it's a great little video on CNN.com (and isn't done in a typical news report fashion). I went to church with this guy when we were young. I didn't know what condition he had and he was always referred to as "retarded." It was an uppity white church in the Mississippi Delta and the usual boring hymnals and that sort of "silent guilt" that typically goes with white churches.

I never knew he had cerebral palsy and could speak via machine. He was always ushered in one side and out the other before the service was done. I don't go to church at all now, but I feel bad for the way he was treated. It wasn't inhumane or anything, but it really forced a lot of people to have an uninformed opinion about him. Anyway he decided to go to a black church and has a great time now! I kind of wish there would be a longer documentary on him.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/20/finding-god-in-the-mississippi-delta/?hpt=hp_c1

BDPFlow
Jun 1, 2009

Knock, knock.
I need your help, filmgoons. I've been charged with the task to create a documentary film series for students at a large (southern) public university. They want to me to select some films that are new-ish (licensing fees will be paid by the university), and occasionally I'll be putting together a panel of faculty to discuss the films.

Problem: I know pretty much nothing about the documentary scene. Can you guys think of any films that have come out recently or premiered at film festivals that would be interesting to a group of college students and/or spark discussion?

Just for frame of reference, we ranged anywhere from 20-200 in attendance last year. Although 200 was Waiting for Superman (education is hot these days).

Nirvana7x
Feb 2, 2004

BonoMan posted:

I wouldn't call this a mini-doc, but it's a great little video on CNN.com (and isn't done in a typical news report fashion). I went to church with this guy when we were young. I didn't know what condition he had and he was always referred to as "retarded." It was an uppity white church in the Mississippi Delta and the usual boring hymnals and that sort of "silent guilt" that typically goes with white churches.

I never knew he had cerebral palsy and could speak via machine. He was always ushered in one side and out the other before the service was done. I don't go to church at all now, but I feel bad for the way he was treated. It wasn't inhumane or anything, but it really forced a lot of people to have an uninformed opinion about him. Anyway he decided to go to a black church and has a great time now! I kind of wish there would be a longer documentary on him.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/20/finding-god-in-the-mississippi-delta/?hpt=hp_c1

This was excellent. Thank you for sharing.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

BDPFlow posted:

I need your help, filmgoons. I've been charged with the task to create a documentary film series for students at a large (southern) public university. They want to me to select some films that are new-ish (licensing fees will be paid by the university), and occasionally I'll be putting together a panel of faculty to discuss the films.

Problem: I know pretty much nothing about the documentary scene. Can you guys think of any films that have come out recently or premiered at film festivals that would be interesting to a group of college students and/or spark discussion?

Just for frame of reference, we ranged anywhere from 20-200 in attendance last year. Although 200 was Waiting for Superman (education is hot these days).

There have been a lot of great documentaries coming out over the past couple years, so I'll give you a quick list with small descriptors.

Forks Over Knives - Deals with health and nutrition. http://forksoverknives.com
The Botany of Desire - Chronicles human relationships with apples, potatoes, marijuana and tulips. Based on the Michael Pollan book.
Beats Rhymes and Life: The Story of a Tribe Called Quest - This one isn't publicly available yet, but will be soon. Very good doc on the group, as well as discussing the contributions of Native Tongues.
The Parking Lot Movie - Basically what the title says, stories of human relationships, working a lovely job, and all of it centered on a pay parking lot in Charlottesville, VA next to UVA.
Life in a Day - Documentary that shows a single day on earth from a number of different perspectives all around the world.
Prom Night in Mississippi - Details the first inter-racial prom at a Mississippi High School, so naturally this documentary takes place during the 2000s.
The Art of the Steal - Documentary about how private corporations managed to essentially steal the world's largest private collection of modern and post-impressionistic art, the Barnes collection.
Freakonomics - Based upon the best-selling book, features a bunch of shorts directed by different people like Morgan Spurlock, the guy who did Super Size Me.
We Live in Public - Really difficult documentary to explain, so I'll let the link do it. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0498329/ This movie is crazier than you could possibly imagine.

I can keep listing out more, but I don't know if these are recent enough for you. The oldest is from 2009, AFAIK.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

Diodeous posted:

There have been a lot of great documentaries coming out over the past couple years, so I'll give you a quick list with small descriptors.

Forks Over Knives - Deals with health and nutrition. http://forksoverknives.com

I'd recommend against Forks Over Knives, seeing as it's vegan propaganda.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Care to explain that more?

(I am a meat loving son of a bitch. But vegetables are awesome too. Go on.)

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

Lone Rogue posted:

Care to explain that more?

(I am a meat loving son of a bitch. But vegetables are awesome too. Go on.)

From the film's website, "The feature film Forks Over Knives examines the profound claim that most, if not all, of the degenerative diseases that afflict us can be controlled, or even reversed, by rejecting our present menu of animal-based and processed foods."

It also uses the China Study as evidence that a diet containing meat and dairy causes diseases, a study whose conclusions depend on a whole lot of assumptions that A -> B and B -> C means A -> C.

It's comparable to a vegan Super-Size Me, which also shouldn't be used in an academic setting.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

BDPFlow posted:

I will add more later, but if you want discussion Restrepo, Armadillo will do that. Armadillo is a little more intense as far as death, destruction, and brief nudity but drat is it well made.

Ekplixi
Jul 18, 2006
I apologize if this has been posted already, but I didn't see it.

Jesus Camp

http://www.atheistnation.net/video/?video/00118/atheist/jesus-camp/

At first I worried this was going to be an athiest circlejerk-type movie, but it's quite compassionate in how it portrays evangelical kids. I liked that it was countered with talks from a more liberal Christian perspective, so it's not some big Christian-bashing movie (I'm not a Christian but I am religious so I hate that poo poo). It's very sad though, these kids are basically being brainwashed pro-war, anti-abortion, YE creationist, anti-Muslim young adults and it's sad and scary.

Seeing a bunch of nine-year-olds pray over a cutout of George W. Bush gave me chills.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ekplixi posted:

I apologize if this has been posted already, but I didn't see it.

Jesus Camp

http://www.atheistnation.net/video/?video/00118/atheist/jesus-camp/

At first I worried this was going to be an athiest circlejerk-type movie, but it's quite compassionate in how it portrays evangelical kids. I liked that it was countered with talks from a more liberal Christian perspective, so it's not some big Christian-bashing movie (I'm not a Christian but I am religious so I hate that poo poo). It's very sad though, these kids are basically being brainwashed pro-war, anti-abortion, YE creationist, anti-Muslim young adults and it's sad and scary.

Seeing a bunch of nine-year-olds pray over a cutout of George W. Bush gave me chills.

Yeah those are essentially Christian extremists and don't even really represent "conservative" Christians.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

BDPFlow posted:

You might try to get Holy Rollers: The True Story of Card Counting Christians. I saw the film's premiere at the Seattle film festival and really enjoyed it. It's like the MIT blackjack club but on a smaller scale and with church groups.

BV
Oct 23, 2005

NO ITS FUNNY. FUCK YOU. TIA
Pulling John

'Pulling John' is the universal story of a champion, who after 25 years of success is now burdened with the inevitable transformation of aging. John Brzenk, the legendary armwrestler, who works as an airline mechanic by day must decide whether to leave the sport he was raised on or wait to be defeated by 2 up and coming titans. Voevoda from Russia, Bagent from West Virginia and Yoshi from Tokyo are the colorful characters who have been raised on the legend of John Brzenk. These men define themselves by not becoming champions but by defeating the legend that is known as Brzenk. In a philosophical and thrilling ride, 'Pulling John' culminates at the Zloty Tur Championship in Warsaw, where Bagent and Voevoda have the chance of their life, to dethrone the conflicted Brzenk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asarqnB18nc

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Capt. Morgan posted:

Private investigator William Dear makes a compelling case for who the real killer of Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7905933759946122795

I'm seriously not trying to be a dick, but I'm 40 minutes in and he hasn't come close to a solid piece of evidence to back his theory. Lots of ridiculous speculation and circumstantial evidence at best. Plus he's really out of his mind on the fight between Goldman and the attacker. The attacker had to be an expert knife handler because Goldman knew Karate? Are you loving kidding me? The space that the fight occurred in was about the size of a couple of phone booths, I don't give a poo poo if you are Bruce Lee, if you are surprised in the dark in a tiny space by a guy with a knife, you are hosed.

I suppose I should keep going to see how he explains the forensic evidence, but given what I've seen so far, I'm finding it hard to believe it's going to get any better.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

WouldDesk posted:

I will add more later, but if you want discussion Restrepo, Armadillo will do that. Armadillo is a little more intense as far as death, destruction, and brief nudity but drat is it well made.

I wish the English sub titles were complete on Armadillo it looks like a nicely done flick

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

WouldDesk posted:

I'll second the recomendation for Restrepo. It was a fantastic documentary and quite hard hitting. Will need to take a watch of Armadillo.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

I don't know if I'd necessarily agree with you. Although I have not finished the film, I am familiar with it, and the producers. One of the men behind it is the Professor Emeritus of Nutrition at Harvard, and recently he was on Real Time with Bill Maher where he spoke of the movie and he definitely didn't give off a vegan propaganda vibe. Instead he spoke very plainly that "real" nutrition is not being taught in most schools and colleges because eating animal products comes with a host of health problems that are becoming more well documented. I'll have to finish the movie and read up more on it if it is provoking enough to draw the term propaganda.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

Diodeous posted:

I don't know if I'd necessarily agree with you. Although I have not finished the film, I am familiar with it, and the producers. One of the men behind it is the Professor Emeritus of Nutrition at Harvard, and recently he was on Real Time with Bill Maher where he spoke of the movie and he definitely didn't give off a vegan propaganda vibe. Instead he spoke very plainly that "real" nutrition is not being taught in most schools and colleges because eating animal products comes with a host of health problems that are becoming more well documented. I'll have to finish the movie and read up more on it if it is provoking enough to draw the term propaganda.

It's not vegan propaganda, it's just a movie that uses misrepresented and fault-ridden science to say you shouldn't eat animal products!

dimejubes
Dec 2, 2006
did I just do that?
I also saw that interview on Bill Maher and there were no propaganda 'alarm bells', he's got a prestigious academic position, Bill Clinton apparently uses the diet now, and I've no idea how reliable the 'China Study' is... but no animal products just flies in the face of everything I've learnt about what humans have eaten for hundreds of thousands of years.
Cooking helped reduce jaw size, meat especially needing to be cooked, we lost hair due to persistence hunting for meat... protein was a big issue for peoples without a good range of domesticated farm animals in more recent history.
It seems far more likely to be nonsense, but it sure is crazy for medical schools not to teach nutrition.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me
Resolved is about high school policy debate and some of the societal implications that appear in that environment. Being a part of that environment myself I can say that it's a great look into the more interesting types of debaters out there.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

BobFossil posted:

lol why does he hug everyone

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011
I know this is going back to the beginning of the thread, but goddamn it you all talked about Dear Zachary so much that I watched it and that is some of the saddest poo poo I have ever seen.

I don't know whether to recommend it because it's an excellent loving movie, or to tell people never to watch it because there is no way to not get horribly depressed watching it.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

marsattacks posted:

I don't know whether to recommend it because it's an excellent loving movie, or to tell people never to watch it because there is no way to not get horribly depressed watching it.

I know exactly what you mean. You want your friends to watch it so you can talk about it and how hosed up everything was. At the same time, however, who wants to put their friends through watching it? Movie is loving soulcrushing.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I feel like I'm the only person on earth who didn't like Dear Zachary. The whole thing was a one-sided hit piece by a bunch of grieving family members about how they knew the way things went down and they didn't need things like evidence or reasonable doubt to get in the way, I can see how it would be depressing if you take everything at face value but I couldn't get over the fact that the entire movie is just a bunch of people bitching about how stupid and evil a guy's ex-wife is and not much else.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Farbtoner posted:

I feel like I'm the only person on earth who didn't like Dear Zachary. The whole thing was a one-sided hit piece by a bunch of grieving family members about how they knew the way things went down and they didn't need things like evidence or reasonable doubt to get in the way, I can see how it would be depressing if you take everything at face value but I couldn't get over the fact that the entire movie is just a bunch of people bitching about how stupid and evil a guy's ex-wife is and not much else.

You did see the end, right?

i am not zach
Apr 16, 2007

by Ozmaugh
http://www.cultureunplugged.com/documentary/watch-online/festival/play/6888/Life-in-Hell---Survivors-of-Salt---Acid

quote:

In these environments, microorganisms rule. In order to thrive, certain animals have made strange adaptations. Scientists are studying how they manage to live in water as acid as vinegar or as alkaline as washing powder. Living in Lake Retba in Senegal are square extremophilic bacteria that produce a red pigment to withstand the high salt concentration. The concentration of bacteria is so high that the lake has become completely pink. In Lake Natron in Tanzania, extremophilic fish swim in ultra-saline water with a temperature close to 48 degrees Celsius. In Lake Mono in California, the edges of the lake are home to the largest population in the world of Alkali flies. To enable the species to live in this saline hell, ten times saltier than the sea, each Alkali fly is equipped with a scuba system. In Lake Owens, the amount of arsenic dust carried by the wind is comparable to the quantity of dust generated when the Twin Towers collapsed. Yet, in this diabolical lake, life goes on its merry way. In New Zealand, fly and leech larvae manage to live in fluorescent green water, as acid as our stomach juices. The list of extremophiles and their ecosystems has only just started to be drawn up. Their recent discovery has already enabled the formulation of new hypotheses about life on Earth … and perhaps elsewhere.[

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Farbtoner posted:

How dare those "bunch of people bitching about how stupid and evil a guy's ex-wife" do that. I mean all she did was murder their son, flee to Canada, try to not allow them to see their grandson and then decide to murder an innocent child for no reason. Yeah, they have no reason to be upset, I agree. They should just move on right?

You say it is "one-sided" so what do you want to hear? The reason why she murdered two innocent people? It can't be justified in any manner.

edit: I probably sound like a dick but I just finished watching it, kinda upset.

WouldDesk fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 30, 2011