Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

That's my last resort option, as I have to park in a garage down the block, up 5 flights of stairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

SlightlyMadman posted:

That's my last resort option, as I have to park in a garage down the block, up 5 flights of stairs.

Monitors weigh 10, maybe 15 pounds.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Steakandchips posted:

Have it sent to your work address.

Do this, or you're never going to see your monitor. The box will be unwieldy, but not terrifically heavy.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Thanks, I got the shipping address changed to my work address. Shipping info says 35 lbs, but that still should be doable. I finally talked to somebody who knew what they were talking about, and apparently they only do signature confirmation for orders worth more than a certain amount (he wouldn't say what), so my $300 Acer didn't qualify.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
For a company that relies as much as Amazon does on statistics and, effectively, pattern recognition, you'd think they'd have an internal program that identified "trouble" areas (like, oh I don't know, all of Baltimore) and would require signature-delivery for lower-priced items in those areas.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Haha, an end to the story: my neighbors just got home. It was delivered to their house. They're thankfully the one decent family on the block and we get along, so they actually gave it back to me. I guess I should have listened to Amazon and given it some time, after all.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

SlightlyMadman posted:

Haha, an end to the story: my neighbors just got home. It was delivered to their house. They're thankfully the one decent family on the block and we get along, so they actually gave it back to me. I guess I should have listened to Amazon and given it some time, after all.

So two monitors for you, or the ethical route of calling amazon...

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Moey posted:

So two monitors for you, or the ethical route of calling amazon...

I canceled the order. It was a UPS gently caress-up, not theirs, and they were very cooperative in the end with offering to ship a replacement out right away, even though this is a pretty clear example of why their policy is to wait a bit.

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010

SlightlyMadman posted:

I canceled the order. It was a UPS gently caress-up, not theirs, and they were very cooperative in the end with offering to ship a replacement out right away, even though this is a pretty clear example of why their policy is to wait a bit.

and now you know...

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Horseshit, if his neighbours were assholes, he'd never have gotten his monitor back.

Their wait a bit "policy" is totally company profit friendly, and consumer hateful.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
How does the quality of the Apple cinema displays compare to the Dell Ultrasharps? I haven't been able to see an Ultrasharp in person but the Apple displays look phenomenal. I know the Apple displays are glossy and LED lit, while the Ultrasharps are matte and LCD lit. I can't imagine that it makes that big of a difference, does it?

I was planning on buying a U2410 but I guess I'm a little apprehensive about dropping an extra $200 on a 24" IPS monitor over a 24" TN without first seeing the display in person.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Steakandchips posted:

Horseshit, if his neighbours were assholes, he'd never have gotten his monitor back.

Their wait a bit "policy" is totally company profit friendly, and consumer hateful.

It's not a big mystery, the house it was delivered to isn't a black hole. They'd ask the driver where the gently caress the package was delivered, go there and sort it out. It takes a couple days but they don't just say, "oh well I guess it's the one that got away".

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Well, before I bitched at them enough that they decided to just send the replacement right away, they weren't even going to look into it for two weeks. I wouldn't have been so pissed off if they'd said "we're initiating the investigation now, but it may take a couple weeks to collect the information" instead of just "oh you probably just didn't see it; give it a couple weeks and if you still haven't found it we'll talk about it then."

Either way though, they did make it good after I raised a fuss and were prepared to send the replacement immediately.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bazanga posted:

How does the quality of the Apple cinema displays compare to the Dell Ultrasharps? I haven't been able to see an Ultrasharp in person but the Apple displays look phenomenal. I know the Apple displays are glossy and LED lit, while the Ultrasharps are matte and LCD lit. I can't imagine that it makes that big of a difference, does it?

I was planning on buying a U2410 but I guess I'm a little apprehensive about dropping an extra $200 on a 24" IPS monitor over a 24" TN without first seeing the display in person.

Picture quality or build quality? The Apple displays are certain sexy, but I believe they lack any height adjustment whatsoever; UltraSharps have very nice spring-loaded stands.

Both are of the IPS family; the LED backlight of the Apple Cinema Displays delivers a different color gamut than the CCFLs currently in use by the UltraSharp family. Both displays have filters that should guarantee you sRGB if you so desire but personally I think LED backlit displays look "sterile" compared to their CCFL counterparts.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

movax posted:

Picture quality or build quality? The Apple displays are certain sexy, but I believe they lack any height adjustment whatsoever; UltraSharps have very nice spring-loaded stands.
Apple, in some bizarre insistence on...something...has decided that people don't need any adjustment whatsoever other than a few degrees of tilt. The Dell allows height, tilt, swivel, and rotation adjustments.

movax posted:

Both are of the IPS family; the LED backlight of the Apple Cinema Displays delivers a different color gamut than the CCFLs currently in use by the UltraSharp family. Both displays have filters that should guarantee you sRGB if you so desire but personally I think LED backlit displays look "sterile" compared to their CCFL counterparts.
The ACD actually ends up with a smaller gamut than the U2410/2711/3011, which may or may not matter to you. The ACD is, however, glossy with no option for matte, while the Ultrasharps are matte with no option for glossy. Each have their respective advantages--the ACD's display won't exhibit the "snow" on large solid white areas, and many people think that colors look more vibrant. The Ultrasharps won't reflect your ugly face back at you the entire time.

Additionally, the ACD has a built-in camera (not sure how good or usable it is when attached to a Windows box), while the Ultrasharps actually have more than one connection, more USB ports, and a card reader built-in.

If, however, your real question is "Hey I went to BestBuy and saw some ACDs there, can I use them as a decent representation of what an Ultrasharp might look at, as compared to the TN's sitting next to them on the shelves?" Then as long as you take the matte/glossy thing into consideration, yeah, you can.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I'm going for a new monitor and I'm considering a Dell U2311H (IPS). I am in no way a graphics artist but I do enjoy movies and like good color quality. I am also a gamer too (probably more of a gamer than movie viewer though this may change with grad school) so would this monitor be good for gaming as well or should I just go with a TN monitor?

I did have an ASUS monitor and it was decent for gaming but my issue with it was that the top (or bottom depending on the viewing angle) faded to white and it was problematic to see. I'm guessing that this fade to white effect is due to the monitor being TN?

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-MS236H-Wide-Monitors-Fusion/dp/B0036QJT2U/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1311201344&sr=8-19

Also the stand totally sucked.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer

DrDork posted:

If, however, your real question is "Hey I went to BestBuy and saw some ACDs there, can I use them as a decent representation of what an Ultrasharp might look at, as compared to the TN's sitting next to them on the shelves?" Then as long as you take the matte/glossy thing into consideration, yeah, you can.

That's pretty much exactly what I was asking. I'm able to see the ACDs in person, but not able to see the Ultrasharps. I just wanted to see if the image quality was comparable before pulling the trigger on a U2410. I was worried that the CCFL/LED difference was going to result in a drastic quality difference. I'm glad to hear that some people actually prefer the CCFL to the LEDs.

Honestly, I would be going the ACD route if Apple didn't have the insistence on not making their $1000 displays compatible with HDMI or DVI. :argh:

Also, from what I'm reading, the U2412s are going to be higher quality and cheaper than the U2410s except they are going to be 16:9 rather than 16:10? Am I reading that right? Should I just wait until the U2412s hit the Dell store? I don't exactly need the monitor now or anything, I just felt like upgrading from the old school budget Acer I have now.

Bazanga fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 21, 2011

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Bazanga posted:

Also, from what I'm reading, the U2412s are going to be higher quality and cheaper than the U2410s except they are going to be 16:9 rather than 16:10? Am I reading that right? Should I just wait until the U2412s hit the Dell store?
There's been conflicting information. Some rumors are just as you say--a similar monitor with minor upgrades, but going 16:9. Other rumors say just the opposite--that it'll be staying 16:10 and dropping from an 8-bit panel to a 6-bit+dithering, which shouldn't matter to 99% of the market but could drop the price by 1/3. Dell themselves, AFAIK, hasn't made any official commentary either way, so who knows.

I'm not sure what your usage for the monitor will be, but if you just want a nice 16:10 24" IPS and don't really care much about wide gamut, a lot of the inputs, etc., you may want to seriously consider the HP ZR24W, which uses the same panel as the U2410, but drops the wide gamut back to a normal gamut, drops a lot of the extra frills, and can be had for $380 shipped from Amazon.

GoldenNugget posted:

I'm going for a new monitor and I'm considering a Dell U2311H (IPS). I am in no way a graphics artist but I do enjoy movies and like good color quality. I am also a gamer too (probably more of a gamer than movie viewer though this may change with grad school) so would this monitor be good for gaming as well or should I just go with a TN monitor?
Yes, the U2311H is a very good monitor, with much better colors than a TN.

GoldenNugget posted:

I did have an ASUS monitor and it was decent for gaming but my issue with it was that the top (or bottom depending on the viewing angle) faded to white and it was problematic to see. I'm guessing that this fade to white effect is due to the monitor being TN?
Yes, and the lack of that annoying effect is one of the immediate advantages of an IPS screen.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 21, 2011

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just one thing to mention for those of you going the two monitor route with nVidia cards. The video cards will no longer automatically downclock themselves when there is no 3D program running which may/may not be a major issue for you (depending on how beefy of a video card you have it could actually be a noticeable increase on your power bill).

The only solution to this is to get a program derived from RivaTuner like MSI Afterburner or RivaTuner itself and configure it to have 2d/3d clockspeed profiles.

Also I believe nVidia cards run hotter if you have two monitors at different resolutions which I'm sure more than a few of us are doing.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Bazanga posted:

Also, from what I'm reading, the U2412s are going to be higher quality and cheaper than the U2410s except they are going to be 16:9 rather than 16:10? Am I reading that right? Should I just wait until the U2412s hit the Dell store? I don't exactly need the monitor now or anything, I just felt like upgrading from the old school budget Acer I have now.

The U2412 is apparently going to be a 6-bit panel, but it will be 16:10. It will probably be cheaper. I'd still prefer a U2410. There's no reason you should wait for anything, unless the cost is a huge concern.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
So I have a Dell 3008WFP that is still under warranty.

A tiny tiny bug crawled into the thing somehow, and parked it's rear end between the screen and the diodes, now I have a string of about 4-5 pixels in a row that are effectively black.

Any chance Dell gonna replace this thing for me? I would honestly be surprised if they did.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
If I wanted to do something like a triple monitor setup, but only have one video card, could I install a video card from a previous computer of mine that's completely different from my current video card and have the whole setup play nice together?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Eej posted:

Just one thing to mention for those of you going the two monitor route with nVidia cards. The video cards will no longer automatically downclock themselves when there is no 3D program running which may/may not be a major issue for you (depending on how beefy of a video card you have it could actually be a noticeable increase on your power bill).

The only solution to this is to get a program derived from RivaTuner like MSI Afterburner or RivaTuner itself and configure it to have 2d/3d clockspeed profiles.

Also I believe nVidia cards run hotter if you have two monitors at different resolutions which I'm sure more than a few of us are doing.

Really? Hm, I'll have to take a look at this when I get home. One monitor off a GTX460, and two off a GT210 here.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
I'm certain NVinspector has a specific option to "fix" the problematic GPU(s) because it seems to be a fairly widespread problem with high end nVidia cards.

It seems with the market only caring about benchmarks, GPU companies don't really care about stability or checking elementary values. I've looked into the hardware acceleration and multi-monitor problem my friend was having with his reference AMD 5850 and it turns out that the card's BIOS has the incorrect values for AMD PowerPlay to operate correctly.

Obviously we're not going to try flashing a perfectly good (and expensive) GPU so we just created a new profile within Catalyst, opened the profile.txt file, and changed the VRAM values to something sensible.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

If I wanted to do something like a triple monitor setup, but only have one video card, could I install a video card from a previous computer of mine that's completely different from my current video card and have the whole setup play nice together?
Yes. There's no requirement for them to be similar, or even the same brand (with Win7, though it's still recommended you keep within a brand for simplicity's sake). You just wouldn't be able to do something like SLI, but I don't think that's a big concern of yours anyhow.

Chafe posted:

It seems with the market only caring about benchmarks, GPU companies don't really care about stability or checking elementary values. I've looked into the hardware acceleration and multi-monitor problem my friend was having with his reference AMD 5850 and it turns out that the card's BIOS has the incorrect values for AMD PowerPlay to operate correctly.
That was (and is) an issue specific to the 5850/5870, and only occurs with multi-monitor setups while using Overdrive. It's not a BIOS issue, either (despite what some people may say), since if you go and look in the default profile, you'll find the problematic values--for mine it was trying to clock the GPU down to something like 157Mhz in 2D mode. Thankfully it is, as you note, a simple fix, though it remains a mystery why it was never addressed in a CCC update. All they needed to do was change a text file :( ATI has always been a little iffy with their driver quality, sadly. On the other hand, Nvidia apparently thinks that no one could possibly want to push more than two monitors with a single card and power-draw concerns are for pussies, so there's some stupidity going 'round on both sides.

mesokilo
Feb 17, 2011
Would somebody be so kind and upload files from the Dell U2311H CD somewhere? I've lost mine, and the USB hub isn't working without some installation procedure.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

What OS are you running?

Additionally, have you plugged this in from your monitor to your USB port on your computer?:

The square bit on the right goes in your monitor, the rectangle one on the left goes in your PC.

mesokilo
Feb 17, 2011

Steakandchips posted:

Additionally, have you plugged this in from your monitor to your USB port on your computer?:

I think I've just earned my avatar... Found the cable.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Didn't see if anyone had posted it yet, but the U2412M is up on Dell's site for $399

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

ClosedBSD posted:

Didn't see if anyone had posted it yet, but the U2412M is up on Dell's site for $399

Just purchased the u2410 last night online. Bugger all, but I don't know if it's worth saving the $100 or not to try and cancel. Will I notice the quality difference without seeing them side-by-side? No, but then again, happy birthday to me.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

The Aphasian posted:

Just purchased the u2410 last night online. Bugger all, but I don't know if it's worth saving the $100 or not to try and cancel. Will I notice the quality difference without seeing them side-by-side? No, but then again, happy birthday to me.

It's your call, but if it were me I'd probably have already canceled and gotten the newer model with LED that costs $100 less

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

ClosedBSD posted:

It's your call, but if it were me I'd probably have already canceled and gotten the newer model with LED that costs $100 less

Gonna call. Sorry, previous post was unclear; I think the monitor itself is worth the extra $100, but I don't know if it's worth it to me (not a digital artist, photographer or designer).

Edit: Well, already shipped. Guess I have 21 days after it's delivered to return it if I want to. If only I had waited 12 more hours...

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 22, 2011

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You'll love it -- it's pure awesome

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
Buying the hell out of that U2412M. I did notice that the u2412m doesn't have an HDMI port, which is odd. It also doesn't have wide gamut, but I'm not a graphic designer or anything like that. I don't *think* I will be able to notice the difference, but then again I've never had an IPS panel.

The one thing that could be bothersome is that it has an 8ms response time while the U2410 has a 6ms response time. I'm going to be using this mainly for work but I don't want to be ghosting like crazy when I'm using it for gaming. I've heard that the U2410 doesn't really have an issue with ghosting, but I'm sweating hard on whether I should take the risk and just see what happens.

Bazanga fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 22, 2011

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Vintersorg posted:

You'll love it -- it's pure awesome

Yeah. It's definitely not the end of the world; with the help of the system building thread I saved a significant amount of money and was able to up my monitor; even with the higher price of the 2410 I'm below my budget cap by a couple hundred.

More chagrined then anything, although my monitors generally last at least 1.5 times the life of my systems. My CRT beauty that was my grad gift from High School lasted 6 years before I donated it to a friend's arcade cabinet (worth it for the nostalgic hours of Die Hard and Galaga).

And it can be a PS3 screen in a pinch apparently.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Bazanga posted:

The one thing that could be bothersome is that it has an 8ms response time while the U2410 has a 6ms response time. I'm going to be using this mainly for work but I don't want to be ghosting like crazy when I'm using it for gaming.

It's a difference of two milliseconds. You really think you can easily see that?

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer

Zhentar posted:

It's a difference of two milliseconds. You really think you can easily see that?

To be honest, the response rate doesn't seem to be a good indicator of ghosting anyway. I've read stories of 2ms LED TN panels having terrible ghosting while the 6ms U2410 doesn't have any, even though IPS panels seem to have a lot more ghosting issues than TN. I didn't mean to imply that the 2ms difference between the U2410 and U2412M alone will be that big of a deal, but they also have other build differences that might lead to some ghosting.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Bazanga posted:

I did notice that the u2412m doesn't have an HDMI port, which is odd.
It's not really odd at all, since it still has a DVI port, and HDMI -> DVI adapters are like $1. The more notable omissions, actually, are the lack of the Component and Composite inputs, which combined with a reduction from 3 HDMI/DVI ports down to only 1 may make life more annoying for people who want to use it for a PC/Xbox/PS3 (or anything else) at the same time. Though I guess the $100 price difference would cover a switch-box.

As to the ghosting, in that it (in theory) is doing a lot less processing of the picture, it may actually be better for ghosting than the U2410. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010
At least it's still 16:10 so I can match it with my U2410 if I want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Any hint of a U3012 yet? Is it known if 6-bit will work with the 30" screens?