Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Okay, so in case anyone like me also wanted to re-map their Dashboard key to be the Launchpad key (like on the new MBAs), FunctionFlip is all you need. The TUAW post I was linked to earlier mentioned also using Quicksilver, but that's unnecessary. Just install FunctionFlip, check the box beside F4/Dock, then go into keyboard preferences and you can map Launchpad to the newly-flipped F4 key.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine
Okay, I used to just swipe left to go "back" in Chrome, and right to go "forward" through webpages. This functionality is broken in Lion and I have no idea how to get it back :(

Edit: Wow, nevermind, it was right where you'd expect it to be. I just wish Apple gave me more flexibility with assigning gestures.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Epic Fail Guy posted:

Okay, I used to just swipe left to go "back" in Chrome, and right to go "forward" through webpages. This functionality is broken in Lion and I have no idea how to get it back :(

Go to touchpad settings, under more gestures, and set "swipe between pages" to swipe with two or three fingers.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Xandu posted:

Go to touchpad settings, under more gestures, and set "swipe between pages" to swipe with two or three fingers.

I can only get it to work with three fingers. Weird.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Yeah, chrome will only work with three fingers. The "fix" I gave is just the only thing that will allow the swiping to work in Chrome at all. Hopefully apple will release an update that gives more options with gesturing.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Xandu posted:

Yeah, chrome will only work with three fingers. The "fix" I gave is just the only thing that will allow the swiping to work in Chrome at all. Hopefully apple will release an update that gives more options with gesturing.

Agreed. Until you pointed that out, I seriously considered looking into downgrading.

So far, I'm not really digging the update. Its hard on memory, they screwed up all the gestures and the new features aren't really all that useful.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

El Jackalope posted:

Luckily he has a time machine backup. My question is: how does he restore the old emails from the Time Machine, and after that, where are they located so he can back them up on a DVD?

This should be a simple case of opening mail.app, select the inbox then enter time machine from the menu bar

It'll then allow you to select messages to restore just as if you were restoring files, I've used this feature before and have to say it's a lifesaver.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Xandu posted:

The two finger navigation works pretty differently and has a new API. Chrome would have to adopt the new API to support it.

Edit: AppKit release notes, find "Fluid Swipe Tracking".

x-virge fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 23, 2011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Krakkles posted:

The point is that it became less useful to do that FIRST because if I just reinstall SL, I can leave it up and running and downloading Lion, rather than redownloading Lion and then making an install disc then reinstalling it. If it were already on my computer, it would make sense to do that. Since it's not, it's now moot.
I think you could've just erased the drive from the recovery partition then reinstalled from it. Net result would've been the same, but you would've been able to skip the SL install step. Now that you did that I guess you might as well take advantage of the fact that you'll have the Lion disk image to save elsewhere for future use.

McFunkerson posted:

I know someone brought this up earlier but I didn't see if it was solved. iWork apps start ignoring the keyboard after a couple seconds. Clicking on the desktop and then back will get you a couple key clicks before ignoring it again. Is this just a bug, should I use time machine to roll back to the older version. I don't seem to remember having problems before I updated.

Edit: Don't bother restoring older versions of iWork the apps will just crash. I swear They were working just fine on the GM for 3 weeks before the iWork update hit. My suggestions is if you haven't updated iWork yet... don't.

Edit 2: After re-updating iWork everything seems to be working fine, huzzah!
The guy that posted it said it ended up being some conflict with BetterTouchTool in his case.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Why are the half dozen PDF files I have open stacked and obscuring each other? How do I make them unstack?

KingEup fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 23, 2011

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

KingEup posted:

Why are the half dozen PDF files I have open stacked on-top of each other? How do I make them unstack?

Because that's how poo poo works in Mission Control. What you want is All Window Expose.

shodanjr_gr posted:

So I tried Parallels on my sparkly new MBP in order to virtualize my bootcamp partition. Turns out it installs a whole bunch of stuff and takes over file associations for some things on both the macos and windows sides. Is it possible to avoid this aspect of parallels? Particularly the screwing up of associations bit is extremely annoying....

From my experience, it installs some tools in Windows to allow the reading/writing between the different OS'. I haven't noticed it installing or taking over a bunch of file associations on OSX, however.

I have a suspicion that you've enabled Coherence which will allow Windows programs to show up in OSX in various places, i.e. spotlight search results. It displays the parallels logo at the bottom of the icons on these. Is my suspicion correct?

Personally, I hate coherence mode and only used it once but immediately disabled it after I noticed that Windows programs were showing up in my spotlight results.

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003

KingEup posted:

Why are the half dozen PDF files I have open stacked on-top of each other? How do I make them unstack?

It has them grouped by documents opened in Preview, if I understand Mission Control correctly. You should be able to hover over them and flick up (or down?) to get them to spread out.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

decypher posted:

Because that's how poo poo works in Mission Control. What you want is All Window Expose.

I can't find that option.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

KingEup posted:

I can't find that option.

:wtc: I can't either! I could have SWORN TO JESUS it was there. I know I've done it since installed Lion..

edit: Regrettably, It seems I have mis-remembered and that feature appears to have been stripped from OSX in favor of Mission Control, which is Steve Jobs loving us again.

edit2: At any rate, dude, you will still be able to use Application Windows expose to see the pdfs.

decypher fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 23, 2011

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

KingEup posted:

Why are the half dozen PDF files I have open stacked and obscuring each other? How do I make them unstack?

Two finger scroll when the mouse is over the preview windows and it will spread them out.

Or you can assign application windows to a key or hot corner in mission control preferences.

Either way it's not gone at all.

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 23, 2011

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

decypher posted:

edit: Regrettably, It seems I have mis-remembered and that feature appears to have been stripped from OSX in favor of Mission Control, which is Steve Jobs loving us again.

Oh. Holy. poo poo.

There is no way I can't write an essay without seeing my PDF docs.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

law abiding rapist posted:

Two finger scroll when the mouse is over the preview windows and it will spread them out.

I have an iMac with click button mouse. What do I do?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

KingEup posted:

I have an iMac with click button mouse. What do I do?

Try the scroll wheel? Either way read my edited post, it's all in Mission Control preferences.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Try the scroll wheel?

That's even worse:

Edit 2 :

A ha!

Edit 3:

Oh christ, why do I have to click a window three times before it's brought to focus? It's like it can't quite get there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmQE5GW62r8

KingEup fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 23, 2011

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

echobucket posted:

On an unrelated note, since Lion, I've pulled my Magic Mouse out of the drawer it was in to play with the gestures, and I've decided I mostly like them. However, the one thing I miss is, I used to be able to click the scroll wheel on my old mouse to open links in a new tab.. Now I have to right click and choose it from the menu. Is there any cool shortcut to opening links in a new tab with a Magic Mouse?
Hold the Command key while clicking a link to open it in a new tab. In Safari > Preferences > Tabs, you can see some other shortcuts listed involving the shift and option keys.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Okie dokie. 3 days in and I'm genuinely starting to warm up to lion a lot. At first I didn't like it one bit, but thats probably because I'm a stubborn gently caress that is resistant to change. Yeah I changed a few things, fixed the scroll direction, forced it to put the scroll bars back, and shrunk the sidebar fonts, but the fact I *could* do this means apple was aware some of us are just stubborn and catered for us to choose ourselves. Nice. Still not happy about having to change back to ADSL to get around the wireless cap, but oh well.

However what I like is the fact that my Snow leopard mac was starting to run like a piece of poo poo when I had certain apps open for a long period of time, and now it runs like the clappers. The performance has shot through the roof. Awesome.

Question is: Is there any working software that can detect cats on the keyboard and shut it down. Despite my best attempts, my dear kitty still keeps jumping up and down on my laptop at any opportunity (presumably trying to communicate her coordinates to the mothership) and I know there was some software called "Catnip", but that hasn't really worked in some time now, abandonware and all that.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

KingEup posted:

pdf stuff

If you do a lot of pdf journal reading, you should put serious consideration into getting an ipad, even just a cheap second hand 1st gen (which are still perfectly capable machines). They are the greatest thing ever if you have to do a lot of reading.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

KingEup posted:

A ha!

Looks like you found the app exposé already, but another trick...that hopefully still works in Lion, is that while in all window exposé Mission Control you can tab/tilde or command-tab/tilde to get to the app window mode from there.

One thing I haven't heard about yet, do the control/option/command-exposé key functions still work? In 10.6 control did app windows, option opened up the prefpane (never liked that one), and command showed the desktop.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

duck monster posted:

If you do a lot of pdf journal reading, you should put serious consideration into getting an ipad, even just a cheap second hand 1st gen (which are still perfectly capable machines). They are the greatest thing ever if you have to do a lot of reading.

Yeah absolutely agree, I'm just hanging out for one with a higher res display and then I'll be all over it.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
So I know inverted scrolling has gotten a mixed reception, but as far as iOS style features go, how many people have opted to disable indicator lights for active applications? I've thought about it, but I feel like I'd at least need 8 GB of RAM to safely give no fucks like that.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Space Racist posted:

So I know inverted scrolling has gotten a mixed reception, but as far as iOS style features go, how many people have opted to disable indicator lights for active applications? I've thought about it, but I feel like I'd at least need 8 GB of RAM to safely give no fucks like that.

Supposedly along with that option, other iOS-like stuff will happen that will kick unnecessary stuff out of memory if required.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

withak posted:

Supposedly along with that option, other iOS-like stuff will happen that will kick unnecessary stuff out of memory if required.

Yeah, I read that in Siracusa's review on Ars. The only downside is applications have to be coded to take advantage of that functionality (as I understood it).

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
Has anyone figured out how to turn off shutdown stall reports? I know it's not really a big deal but I like my Console uncluttered :argh:

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

Molten Llama posted:

Keyboard preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts tab, Mission Control. Turn on all the "Switch to Desktop N" options you want to use. They're good and buried.

Yeah, those are all set the way I want them to be. I guess the best way to describe my problem is that navigating between spaces no longer wraps around like it used to. In SL, if I repeatedly pressed ctrl+right starting on space 1, it'd cycle through them like this: 2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-etc. Now with Mission Control in Lion it stops on space 4 and if I press it again I get the "end of the line" bounceback like you do when you scroll to the bottom of a page in iOS.

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!
Anyone noticed some pretty drastic battery life decreases since upgrading to Lion? My 2011 MBP is running pretty hot and the battery life seems to have halved.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Auriak posted:

Anyone noticed some pretty drastic battery life decreases since upgrading to Lion? My 2011 MBP is running pretty hot and the battery life seems to have halved.

I'm getting this too, 2011 MBP too. Wasn't sure if I had something weird running eating up the battery, or if it's because of Lion.

Ivan Dolvich
Oct 14, 2004

Shit bag. I use all ammunition for weapon

This may be a dumb question but I am new to Mac. I just got one of the new Macbook Airs today, and the App Store keeps telling me I have updates for the 3 programs in iLife (iPhoto etc). However, whenever I try to update them, it tells me I need to buy them, even though they came pre-installed. At the least I'd like to get rid of the annoying notification telling me I have updates. Anyone know how I can update them, or get rid of the notifications?

Ivan Dolvich fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 23, 2011

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

grahm posted:

I'm getting this too, 2011 MBP too. Wasn't sure if I had something weird running eating up the battery, or if it's because of Lion.

Check activity monitor, I have a 2011 MBP as well and I get the same battery life that I did with 10.6.

Ivan Dolvich posted:

This may be a dumb question but I am new to Mac. I just got one of the new Macbook Airs today, and the App Store keeps telling me I have updates for the 3 programs in iLife (iPhoto etc). However, whenever I try to update them, it tells me I need to buy them, even though they came pre-installed. At the least I'd like to get rid of the annoying notification telling me I have updates. Anyone know how I can update them, or get rid of the notifications?

Did you try Software Update?

Ivan Dolvich
Oct 14, 2004

Shit bag. I use all ammunition for weapon

Did you try Software Update?

Yeah, it updated my iTunes and remote desktop but found no updates for the iLife stuff.

DarkSun6890
Sep 16, 2005
The Magic Turkey Sandwich Box and I
I never updated to Snow Leopard, and am still on 10.5.8 Am I going to need to buy Snow leopard to get the App store, and then ALSO buy Lion to get up to date?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Technically, yes. But if you know anyone that has Lion or can get your hands on a Lion boot disk you'll be able to clean install Lion. You'll have to wipe the drive first though, you can't do an upgrade.

http://www.macworld.com/article/161087/2011/07/install_lion_over_leopard.html

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 23, 2011

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
alternatively you can presumably just pick up one of the flash drives for $69 when they become available.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Auriak posted:

Me too, mid-2009 MBA. Things run a teensy bit sluggish too, sometimes, but overall I think the benefits outweigh the lost battery life. Maybe I even just need to recalibrate the battery.

Either way I'll probably be getting one of the new Airs as soon as I have the money.

Zwille fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

duck monster posted:

Question is: Is there any working software that can detect cats on the keyboard and shut it down. Despite my best attempts, my dear kitty still keeps jumping up and down on my laptop at any opportunity (presumably trying to communicate her coordinates to the mothership) and I know there was some software called "Catnip", but that hasn't really worked in some time now, abandonware and all that.
Give KeyboardCleanTool a try. It isn't exactly what you want but it's worth a try.