Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wajack
Nov 5, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Martytoof posted:

There was never any question that he was a big gay robot, but it was a lot funnier before he showed up in a big bondage harness.

So as with all things, he's funny in moderation.

I'm not sure there's such a thing as 'too much Zap Brannigan'. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

bitterandtwisted posted:

Parasites Lost, Where no fan has gone before, Roswell that ends well, The Farnsworth Paradox, The Late Philip J. Fry and the Prisoner of Benda are all based on sci-fi ideas and are all great. Coincidence?

"The Late Philip J. Fry" is the best new episode so far, but something about it really bugs me. In "The Why of Fry," Fry was supposed to be the only person who could stop the giant brains from destroying the universe and was therefore unique and special. Now it turns out there are infinite universes with infinite Frys, and if one of them were to fail to stop the brains -- perhaps due to his universe being displaced by another ten feet -- who even cares? Another identical universe will be along shortly. Oh, and all the characters we cared about are now dead, but it doesn't matter.

It was a funny episode with good sci-fi, but I can't help but think it cheapens the "old" series.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
Really dire, I don't think I laughed once. Leela-centric episodes not involving Zapp tend not to be very good but this especially.

Also am I the only one who can't loving stand Tress Macneille's little kid voices?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
I found the singing parts painful really, especially if you compare them to the original singing parts like in Hell is Other Robots.

The rest of the episode was slightly below average though. Nothing great but nothing really crap.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Maybe if I was a writer, then I would have found the last episode funnier. As it is, I can appreciate what they did with the story, but it just left me :stare:

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Maybe if I was a writer, then I would have found the last episode funnier. As it is, I can appreciate what they did with the story, but it just left me :stare:
Well the whole thing was a big joke about writing and TV production so it probably would have. Still I'm no writer and I found all the jokes amusing.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Jack of Hearts posted:

"The Late Philip J. Fry" is the best new episode so far, but something about it really bugs me. In "The Why of Fry," Fry was supposed to be the only person who could stop the giant brains from destroying the universe and was therefore unique and special. Now it turns out there are infinite universes with infinite Frys, and if one of them were to fail to stop the brains -- perhaps due to his universe being displaced by another ten feet -- who even cares? Another identical universe will be along shortly. Oh, and all the characters we cared about are now dead, but it doesn't matter.

It was a funny episode with good sci-fi, but I can't help but think it cheapens the "old" series.

I think you take the continuity thing too seriously. This is a show where the showrunners and writers have repeatedly stated in commentaries that they only really care about continuity if it makes for a good joke. And to me, that's probably the correct way of looking at it since this really isn't a serial show.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

dancehall posted:

Really dire, I don't think I laughed once. Leela-centric episodes not involving Zapp tend not to be very good but this especially.

Also am I the only one who can't loving stand Tress Macneille's little kid voices?

By the same token I'm sick of Zapp just trying to screw Leela, so it balanced out a little.

Did you watch Rugrats? I can get over it but all my girlfriend hears is Phil and Lil when the orphans talk.

If the "secret" about her special writing place hadn't been obvious from the start or ended in a big twist this episode would have fit in better with the series, and that's my only big complaint. Bender was back to an enjoyable level again, that makes me feel happy!

Also Hermes dumping just rum into a blender was hilarious.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

superjew posted:

Did you watch Rugrats? I can get over it but all my girlfriend hears is Phil and Lil when the orphans talk.

Tress didn't do the voices for Phil and Lil. That was Kath Soucie.

I think Tress Macneille get's an odd amount of flak. Yes her voices repeat themselves within the show, but that's because she is literally every female character on the show other than Amy, Amy's Mom and Leela. It's ridiculous how heavilly they lean on her. The male actors get spread out between the bit parts, while every time there's a woman on screen there is a 95% chance it's Macneille.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

wajack posted:

I'm not sure there's such a thing as 'too much Zap Brannigan'. :colbert:

Tell that to his girdle.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Ugh, what the hell did I just watch? I reeeally wanted to like this season, I really did.

I think the worst part of it was the level of transparency. In particular the bit with everyone making noise. They just didn't even bother with trying to write it in character.

Also, I think the simpsonian amnesia is really starting to show.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

axleblaze posted:

Tress didn't do the voices for Phil and Lil. That was Kath Soucie.

I think Tress Macneille get's an odd amount of flak. Yes her voices repeat themselves within the show, but that's because she is literally every female character on the show other than Amy, Amy's Mom and Leela. It's ridiculous how heavilly they lean on her. The male actors get spread out between the bit parts, while every time there's a woman on screen there is a 95% chance it's Macneille.

I've been as dumb as Fry. :(

I really hope Tress gets paid per voice. Though she isn't in the Planet Express crew unless Cubert tags along. Is she doing LaBarbara now? I know she did it once in the original run.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

superjew posted:

I've been as dumb as Fry. :(

I really hope Tress gets paid per voice. Though she isn't in the Planet Express crew unless Cubert tags along. Is she doing LaBarbara now? I know she did it once in the original run.

I forgot about LaBarbara. :(

I think she's still a different voice actress. It's all she does though. I think if it's a one off line they just get Tress because it's not worth ragging the voice actress out to do one line.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Gorilla Salad posted:

I am a writer, and even I found this one producing wry smiles at best, rather than any real laughs. As someone said on the previous page, it felt more like a (late-period) Simpsons episode; it just kind of stopped rather than bringing the story to any real conclusion. And "television networks are cheap and venal!" is rather low-hanging fruit for comedy.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Mr. Misrule
May 5, 2011
That giant Bender on the game box is giving me Bender overload. And what's with the moustache? Bender doesn't have a moustache. Don't these board game makers have any respect for continuity?

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mr. Misrule posted:

That giant Bender on the game box is giving me Bender overload. And what's with the moustache? Bender doesn't have a moustache. Don't these board game makers have any respect for continuity?

Zoidberg would never throw money in the air. :colbert:

Or have enough money to put it in a bag.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fry and Leela threw it. He's trying to catch it.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

I got the first four DVD volumes cheap, so I've been watching the commentaries. They're great fun, especially when multiple voice actors are on. Favorite moment so far is "NOBODY CARES!" in Beethoven's 5th.
They guy they gush most about is David Herman, for making up new voices on demand.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Blind Pineapple posted:

I'm a little surprised by all the "worst episode ever" comments about this show. As far as recent episodes go, Attack of the Killer Ap, The Holiday Spectacular, and Neutopia were all way worse.

Actually, I rewatched the Holiday Spectacular and it was a lot better than I remembered. Better than this episode, which was mostly boring. Props for the Slurms McKenzie statuette though :)

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

RillAkBea posted:

I think the worst part of it was the level of transparency. In particular the bit with everyone making noise. They just didn't even bother with trying to write it in character.

I thought that was the funniest part of the episode. If just for "Friends, look! I accidentally learned how to tap dance!"

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

RillAkBea posted:

I'm sorry, but, "Fry, do you really have to play that?" "Yes, it's the only song I know..." was the line of the episode. So that bit gets points from me.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Yeah, I don't understand hating on that joke at all. That sequence was supposed to be intentionally absurd and over the top with everyone (except the professor, I guess) breaking character with some obnoxiously loud noise-making activity they've never done before.

The other thing I noticed about this episode is how well it played on the "Boring, predictable, dull-as-dishwater" Leela character. The scene where she couldn't keep up with the Humplings' vegetable song had a great payoff with the Tickelodeon-filmed episode barely matching up and being horribly written. The real version looked like an actual kids show, and the crew's version made no sense at all (also liked how no one asked any questions).

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Good news everyone!

http://io9.com/5824123/futurama-renewed-for-2-more-seasons

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

RillAkBea posted:

Ugh, what the hell did I just watch? I reeeally wanted to like this season, I really did.

Haha is this guy a shark or what?

But seriously, you're writing off every other episode, even the ones that already aired, simply because you didn't like this one? Sounds like a good way to never have anything you can enjoy in your life.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Cryptic Edge posted:

Zoidberg would never throw money in the air. :colbert:

Or have enough money to put it in a bag.

It's not money. It's mashed potatoes.

Zoidberg just wanted to look like a big-shot.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

But seriously, you're writing off every other episode, even the ones that already aired, simply because you didn't like this one? Sounds like a good way to never have anything you can enjoy in your life.

I refuse to believe anyone can enjoy anything in their life! :argh:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Maybe now they'll stop making cancellation jokes. :v: (not that I mind those, but we really don't need any more of them. Even the one we had this week was starting to feel like "hey guys, we totally got cancelled this one time! Isn't that hilarious? Guys? Guys?")

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Uh is this two seasons or two "seasons" where they split Season 7 up over two years?

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib

Martytoof posted:

Uh is this two seasons or two "seasons" where they split Season 7 up over two years?

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Martytoof posted:

The link just says two years so it's probably another order of 26 episodes split up. So there is this newest batch of 26 episodes (we're watching the back 13 now) and they were already renewed for another 26 episodes in March so I'm assuming this is yet another order, meaning we will be getting new Futurama for the next 4 years unless they switch to longer seasons.

Unless this is just someone mistaking what was said at the panel and this 'new season' is in fact the one announced in March.

e: If that's true I will be 31 when those episodes air and I was 16 when the show started. Now I feel as dumb as Fry.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

As I recall, the order in March was for 13 episodes with an option to extend it to 26 if this year's batch did well. I doubt there will be any additional renewals before 2013 when they'd need to decide on a 2014-2015 pickup.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I just haven't really enjoyed the season that much so far and keep hoping that the next episode will turn things around.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Sneak peek for the remaining episodes of the season:

http://io9.com/5824167/sneak-peeks-prove-futurama-has-saved-the-funniest-bits-for-last

Looks like at least two more Bender-centric episodes. Although I'm now looking forward to the season finale.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Sky One is finally showing the new Futurama in the UK. I am so glad to see that so far, Rebirth doesn't suck. I wasn't fully sold on the series 5 movies (the first one was good, but the next two didn't blow me away, and I forgot to watch the fourth one), but this is pretty good so far.

Of course, it helps that I basically never could get enough of Bender partying.

Edit: Good stuff, two good episodes in a row, allaying my fears that we were going to get another Family Guy series 4 or Red Dwarf: Back to Earth.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 24, 2011

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I fear this gif is plagued with a Bender overload.

Ragman
Dec 25, 2010
I just recently watched a lot of the newer episodes, and I easily have a new favorite scene.

The Professor has invented a time machine that can only go forward, and after traversing the timeline him, Bender, and Fry find themselves in a barren wasteland. Fry walks over to a nearby cave and finds a message left by Leela. Now realizing that he'll never see her again, he tries not to cry and walks back to Bender and the Professor and says, "Well it was a nice run, guys. What do you say we crack open a few beers and watch the end of the universe."

Futurama is good at random emotional moments, so I don't know why that one resonated with me so much more than the others.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Ragman posted:

Futurama is good at random emotional moments

It really is. The end of the one about Fry's brother still always hits me hard.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

ChuckDHead posted:

It really is. The end of the one about Fry's brother still always hits me hard.

You bastard! I'll kill you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fry's brother was always the big one for me. Surprisingly enough, it was followed closely by his "Nooooo" at the end of Time Keeps on Slippin'.

Perhaps more surprisingly, as someone who's owned dogs, had them die, and treats them like members of the family, the Seymour episode did absolutely nothing for me.

• Locked thread