Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

Zwille posted:

Me too, mid-2009 MBA. Things run a teensy bit sluggish too, sometimes, but overall I think the benefits outweigh the lost battery life. Maybe I even just need to recalibrate the battery.

Either way I'll probably be getting one of the new Airs as soon as I have the money.

I wonder if they programmed Lion to do this just to get people to buy new laptops.

I have an iMac and iPhone, and love the things, but I can't help but notice that Apple isn't held to the same antitrust/antimonopoly rules that Microsoft are. In other words, if Microsoft did a lot of the things that Apple does, they would get slammed really, really hard by the government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Ok, I'm still migrating some stuff, but I'm up and running on my mid-2007 black macbook at home. It's definitely snappier (although: this may be due to the clean install, not because it was a new install but because it cleaned out a LOT of old poo poo I didn't migrate over - regained like 40 gigs of space on my hard drive!)

Overall, I like it. Like duck monster, I've done a number of things - 2d dock, no natural scrolling, etc - to fix it, and will keep tweaking (why the hell must Library be hidden? why no hard drives on the desktop even as an option?) but I do think it's nice, and frankly the new FileVault is worth it in and of itself.

That said, Siracusa, if anything, understated how loving terrible the new iCal looks and uses...I am looking forward to the inevitable hacks to tweak these as well.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

BlueFreshMarlboro posted:

I wonder if they programmed Lion to do this just to get people to buy new laptops.

I have an iMac and iPhone, and love the things, but I can't help but notice that Apple isn't held to the same antitrust/antimonopoly rules that Microsoft are. In other words, if Microsoft did a lot of the things that Apple does, they would get slammed really, really hard by the government.

Everything you are saying is terrible and you are an awful poster. Stop posting.

Zwille posted:

Me too, mid-2009 MBA. Things run a teensy bit sluggish too, sometimes, but overall I think the benefits outweigh the lost battery life. Maybe I even just need to recalibrate the battery.

Either way I'll probably be getting one of the new Airs as soon as I have the money.

The first few Leopard releases were hard on the battery too. 10.7.1 will have a poo poo ton of fixes, likely including some for optimized battery life.

One thing I immediately noticed upon upgrading to Lion was first-boot sluggishness. Then I realized it was because Spotlight was reindexing the drive. Once that stopped, everything went back to being nicely responsive.

Accipiter fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 23, 2011

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Greetings SHSC gooners. I have a Mac Mini in my downstairs office and an old Dell laptop that sits by my side in the family room that I use as it's more convenient. I'd love to be able to replicate the RDP in Windows going to my Mac as I really like how it creates a new session that fits the local (ie: Windows laptop) settings instead of how VNC doesn't quite fit. Is there any good solutions out there for replicating this on the Mac? Last time I checked this out (2008), there really weren't, but I am hoping that some clever programmer has pushed the ball farther.

Thanks!

edit: Bonus points for being able to wake a sleeping Mac Mini!

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 23, 2011

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I've found one unexpected benefit to Lion (or maybe it's technically from the iTunes update) that I absolutely love:

My iTunes library is stored on a large external hard drive. When I was on Snow Leopard, iTunes would freeze for a couple seconds every time I hit "OK" or "Next" after updating metadata. Now it's stopped doing that. It will update instantly without freezing.

I had always just assumed this was the price I paid for not keeping my library on an internal drive, but I guess there might have been something messed up specifically on my system. Either way, it's working much much smoother now.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Petey posted:

why no hard drives on the desktop even as an option?

Same as it always was dude.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

This should really be in the OP. I have no reason to go back to Chrome at this point.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

~Coxy posted:

Well I found that but I thought - incorrectly it seems - that on older OSs you could see those by default.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Footboy posted:

One of the big reasons I upgraded to Lion was the enhanced trackpad support, but I'm not seeing any of it.

:confused:

I too have a crummy trackpad. :(

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Am I just remembering wrong or was there a way to disable Safari from opening PDFs in SL? I don't want PDFs to display in Safari. I want them to open in Preview.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

chimz posted:

Click and hold with my thumb and drag with my finger. If you have your thumb in the bottom portion of the trackpad it doesn't count as a finger for right clicking. You have to physically click the trackpad, tapping doesn't work for this.

Thanks. I think I can get used to this pretty easily.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

OOOOkay this is wierd. My ~/Library has somehow been set to invisible. I know its there on the command line, but its just not loving showing up in finder for SOME REASON. This seems to be the case in my secondary account on the machine too.

Is this intentional for some hosed up reason?

e: Yes internet tells me it is intentional and chflags nohidden ~/Library fixes it. Someone needs to punch whoever at Apple HQ came up with this idea

duck monster fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 23, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I need to figure out how to turn off two things in Safari.

* the stupid tap-to-zoom stuff. I'm constantly tapping along to music and it's really annoying to have it zooming in on me.

* being able to "move" the page horizontally inside the browser frame. I thought that turning off the two finger "preview" navigation would do it, but it still lets you wiggle the page around.

Any ideas? Can't find either one of these online. I thought Lion was going to be the poo poo with my magic trackpad, but all this stuff is making me just use my mouse.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Being able to "wiggle" the page around is a side effect of bouncy scrolling, and I'm not sure there's a toggle for that.

On the one hand, Flash crashing* my computer every other time I visit Youtube is annoying. On the other hand, Resume is working perfectly, so the amount of actual annoyance is minimal.

Still hope Flash gets fixed soon, or I can find out what's causing mine to act up.

*It's not even crashing, per se, so much as hanging. I can move the mouse around, but no gestures or keyboard commands do anything, and I have to hold the hardware power button to reboot.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 23, 2011

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

duck monster posted:

OOOOkay this is wierd. My ~/Library has somehow been set to invisible. I know its there on the command line, but its just not loving showing up in finder for SOME REASON. This seems to be the case in my secondary account on the machine too.

Is this intentional for some hosed up reason?

e: Yes internet tells me it is intentional and chflags nohidden ~/Library fixes it. Someone needs to punch whoever at Apple HQ came up with this idea

The average user is not and should not ever venture into ~/Library, so not only does it make sense for it to be hidden, I'm actually surprised it took Apple this long to do it.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
That's the equivalent of a Windows user running around amok in C:\Windows\System32, isn't it?

Or is it closer to the user running around in the registry?

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

So for some reason iTunesHelper is messed up (it doesn't automatically open iTunes when I plug in my iPod touch), and the login items look like this:

I have the latest version of iTunes and I don't want to disable/remove iTuneshelper because I'm not sure how to re-enable it

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

mistermojo posted:

So for some reason iTunesHelper is messed up (it doesn't automatically open iTunes when I plug in my iPod touch), and the login items look like this:

I have the latest version of iTunes and I don't want to disable/remove iTuneshelper because I'm not sure how to re-enable it

Just checked my login items and I have the same problem. It's probably just a bug. What version of iTunes are you running? I'm on 10.5b48.

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away
Had high hopes when I saw that Logitech had released Lion compatible software earlier in the thread, but I get greeted by this:

Anyone with a quick fix?

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

toxick posted:

Just checked my login items and I have the same problem. It's probably just a bug. What version of iTunes are you running? I'm on 10.5b48.

I have 10.4, and I remember updating it after installing Lion, and Software Update comes up with nothing, so I think it's the latest version

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Petey posted:

Well I found that but I thought - incorrectly it seems - that on older OSs you could see those by default.

I think 10.4 was the last one that displayed them by default.

~Coxy posted:

How did you get your dock to look like that, some sort of third-party add-on?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
There might be an option in system preferences, but I used Onyx to make my dock 2d and it looks like that.

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005
That 2D dock is also how it looks if you put it on the left or right side of your screen. I've always had mine on the right, going back to the 10.0 Public Beta, because I have more horizontal screen space than vertical.

I used to always have my dock full with maybe 15 apps, running the full length of the side of my screen. But with Lion, I pared that down to the 6 most common apps I use daily / all the time (Safari, Mail, iCal, iPhoto, SysPrefs, iTunes). Then, I kept the LaunchBar icon in there, so I have 1 click (or one squeeze, though that gesture doesn't always work) access to my other less-commonly used apps (Handbrake, YummySoup, etc) for when I need them. I put the most frequently-used of those apps along the right side of the LaunchPad, so they are closest to my mouse/dock.

If I use those once a week or so, I don't need them in my Dock all the time. So, yeah, I actually really like LaunchPad and it helped me reclaim some real estate on my 11" MBA screen.

I also found that keeping Mail and iTunes fullscreen is good, so I can swipe over to those quickly at all times.

I also like swiping left to the Dashboard. I put the Stickies widget on the right side of the screen, so I can "peek" over by swiping just a little bit to see what reminders I've left myself without having to fully switch over to the Dashboard space.

So, that's how I've organized things, and I'm happy so far.

Oh, and I've turned off Dock indicator lights. I don't miss them.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I can't figure out some font issues I'm seeing. They happened in Snow Leopard too, and I tried an upgrade to Lion to see if that'd fix the problem but it hasn't. Basically, Helvetica is completely messed up. If you see the attached screenshot, this is the Calendars button on the top left of the iCal window on two computers. The left is the messed up one, the right looks fine. These were taken at the same resolution and the same font size. I've tried validating fonts, clearing out duplicates, and so on, with no success. The only app installed I can think of that messes with fonts is Office 2011, but I can only blame it for so much.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd love to avoid a full-blown reinstall.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mo0 posted:

That's the equivalent of a Windows user running around amok in C:\Windows\System32, isn't it?

Or is it closer to the user running around in the registry?

~/Library? Like messing with their Users\name\Application Data folder (not a good idea). /Library would be more akin to messing around with folders in C:\Windows.

quote:

How did you get your dock to look like that, some sort of third-party add-on?
defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -bool YES && killall Dock
Onyx works, as well.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

How many of you start with a fresh install when you upgraded to Lion? I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to just upgrade, use migration assistant, or just go completely fresh.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

* the stupid tap-to-zoom stuff. I'm constantly tapping along to music and it's really annoying to have it zooming in on me.

Should "Smart zoom":

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.
Why is the dashboard now a whole separate space (or even still there as an overlay). I always thought that was a stupid, failed experiment and was just waiting for apple to drop it from the OS. Creating an extra space seems to make it even more prominent.

Am I missing something? Did someone create useful widgets that I'm missing? I have a delivery status widget, weather, and istat on there. And maybe launch the dashboard every other month.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

pokeyman posted:

I can't figure out some font issues I'm seeing. They happened in Snow Leopard too, and I tried an upgrade to Lion to see if that'd fix the problem but it hasn't. Basically, Helvetica is completely messed up. If you see the attached screenshot, this is the Calendars button on the top left of the iCal window on two computers. The left is the messed up one, the right looks fine. These were taken at the same resolution and the same font size. I've tried validating fonts, clearing out duplicates, and so on, with no success. The only app installed I can think of that messes with fonts is Office 2011, but I can only blame it for so much.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd love to avoid a full-blown reinstall.

In the past, this has been because of conflicts between Adobe's Helvetica and the built-in Helvetica. Hopefully Office isn't causing the same issue, but I guess we'll see.

Usually Font Book would be able to help with this, but it seems you've gone through that already.

On Lion, my Helvetica is: /System/Library/Fonts/Helvetica.dfont with unique name: Helvetica; 7.0d20e1; 2011-04-05

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Click "Show dashboard as a space."

You're not missing anything; it's pretty much useless.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

This thread is awesome in a completely unintended way. A friend on Facebook upgraded to Lion and he has all the exact same reactions to it as a lot of people in this thread, and I get to reply to him and tell him he's dumb (because I've already seen the answers here).

Him: No more free-space in Finder? APPLE! :argh:
Me: Turn on the status bar you dork.

:haw:

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Xandu posted:

Click "Show dashboard as a space."

You're not missing anything; it's pretty much useless.

I've got a big ol' web clip on the dashboard showing the local weather radar, it's actually really nice.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

x-virge posted:

Should "Smart zoom":

:doh: Of course. I must have looked in that pref pane five times without it clicking. Thanks.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
As a counterpoint, Safari full-screen with smart zoom enabled is pretty sweet. It's like a giant iPhone! :v:

Kind of silly on my iMac, but I'd use the hell out of that on a Macbook.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
I think that Lion fixed a couple of App Store things that no one has mentioned in the thread so far.

At the moment, I'm not having any problems using the App Store, which wasn't a surprise until I remembered that my Bootcamp partition is still mounted. Under Snow Leopard, I could browse the store just fine but it would hang when I tried to download something, right before it would normally ask for my password. Once I unmounted my Bootcamp partition, it would ask for my password and everything would be fine. This hasn't been a problem so far under Lion.

Second, back when Comodo issued an SSL certificate for google.com to someone who wasn't Google, I read about and turned on CRL-checking. However, I discovered that the App Store was HORRIBLY slow with this enabled - it was completely unusable. The whole app would beach ball for 30-60 seconds for every single click. It was awful. Apparently, CRL was the culprit. Now, I've re-enabled CRL and I don't have this problem, which I'm quite happy about.

It's kind of a relief to see that they addressed these issues to be honest. I wasn't sure whether to expect it either way since as far as I had seen no one had been able to get an answer from Apple before, and they're not concerns that non-nerds would have. (Honestly, I think it's loving shameful that CRL checking is turned off by default in the first place.)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Stare-Out posted:

The bigger issue is that the display on my MBP won't shut down now. I normally use a Cinema HD monitor and turn the MBP display off by closing the lid, then opening it up (for ventilation), but now when I open the lid, the display turns on again. I have no use for the MBP display when I have the big monitor on, and I hate it when my mouse cursor slips over to the MBP display. :argh:
You don't need to keep the lid open, there are no vents under the keyboard, and all the fans vent out the back. Keep it closed. If you're worried about the temperatures, install a fan control app.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Corbet posted:

How many of you start with a fresh install when you upgraded to Lion? I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to just upgrade, use migration assistant, or just go completely fresh.

I normally do a fresh install. This is the first time I've upgraded. I'm noticing a few quirks, so I'm about to do a clean install. gently caress doing it from a USB stick or SD card though, I'm doing it from my watch.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
The backwards scroll thing is OK with me - it's oddly not that hard to get used to. But I don't think it's very well implemented. They seem to have just reversed the directions from the mouse itself. Try zooming in on a google map. Why would pulling back zoom in?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Hey, neato. My Duet works (mostly) inside Lion if you uninstall all the Apogee software. The only thing that's weird is that it unmutes itself if you mute it from the keyboard, but holding down the volume knob to mute works.

Can't really record with it in this state, but I don't need to do any of that right now anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
The word processing app "WriteRoom" is getting a lot of publicity for supposedly removing all distractions while writing. It costs $25 though, and I'm wondering if Word or Pages has a similar view (since I already own those programs.)