Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
So, I've heard that anemones like to move around and often pick a spot you don't like...and my new one(purple tip sebae) apparently likes the very back of the tank, half under a rock overhang, where you can only see him from the back right side of the tank. I thought they liked light areas with good waterflow, rather than darkish areas with what I assume is very weak waterflow(under the powerhead/slightly behind the tip of it).

He has been there for 2 days...is he likely to stay there permanently? Should I try moving him again and hope he changes his mind, or will he just go back there? Could it indicate stress or anything like that?

I want him to come out so I can take a picture :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

a duck posted:

So, I've heard that anemones like to move around and often pick a spot you don't like...and my new one(purple tip sebae) apparently likes the very back of the tank, half under a rock overhang, where you can only see him from the back right side of the tank. I thought they liked light areas with good waterflow, rather than darkish areas with what I assume is very weak waterflow(under the powerhead/slightly behind the tip of it).

He has been there for 2 days...is he likely to stay there permanently? Should I try moving him again and hope he changes his mind, or will he just go back there? Could it indicate stress or anything like that?

I want him to come out so I can take a picture :(

I think sebaes especially like shady acres.. They usually bury their foot into the sand and attach to the base of a rock and extend out. Most nems will put their foot in shade and extend out to get the light they need.

But yes, that's the general rule of thumb, they will always go where you don't want them to. Also I wouldn't agitate him at all, if he wants to move he's gunna move. And if you piss him off enough, he'll split leaving you with two nems that are where you don't want them to be.

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

...armed with five-five-sixers, and pineapples.
That's Murphy's law of sea anemones. Also, stressing it will just invite illness/death. Like any of the livestock you get I'd honestly only move animals that have a hard time getting to a safe spot, anemones can take care of themselves for the most part.

As an anecdote: When I had one of my flame scallops in the display it made a nice home in a spot that was essentially not viewable from any side. It moved to a new spot for ~2 months but eventually got bumped out by an urchin and was stressed so I opted to put him in the sump where it's quiet. Ironically now that I put it with the others on the DSB in my sump they all bunched up in the front all nice and visible.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Speaking of anemones and Murphy's Law, a LFS within an hour of me managed to score a _small_ blue haddoni carpet which I've been after for a while. They've had it in for about a week so far, it's sticky, buried the foot in the sand, and fairly reactive to my touch.

So of course I paid down on it. They'll hold on to it for me for another couple weeks to hopefully de-stress it some more, and then I'm gonna pick it up.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

arioch posted:

Speaking of anemones and Murphy's Law, a LFS within an hour of me managed to score a _small_ blue haddoni carpet which I've been after for a while. They've had it in for about a week so far, it's sticky, buried the foot in the sand, and fairly reactive to my touch.

So of course I paid down on it. They'll hold on to it for me for another couple weeks to hopefully de-stress it some more, and then I'm gonna pick it up.

Congrats, those things are wicked when they get bigger. Lets see some pics the next time you go back!

Now you need some sexy shrimp to live on it :)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I really like the transparent periclimenes(sp?) ones with the neon brilliant colors over the sexy shrimp, even if the sexy shrimp are ... behaviorally more interesting. I also like porcelain crabs, though.

Oh well, I have time to decide.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 20, 2011

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
About a week ago I got 2 baby oscellaris clowns, barely 1" long. They were just the right size to fit between the teeth of my overflow and take a ride down into the sump, so I cut up a media bag and put the mesh over the teeth. No danger, enough flow, all set.

Now feeding time yesterday, I turned off the return pump as I normally do and started putting in the food. I only see 1 clown though. Where the heck? Not anywhere in the tank. Check the carpet, nothing. Check inside the hood/on top of the tank braces, nothing. Even though the mesh was in place, check the sump, nothing. Where the heck could it be?!

Then I looked at my overflow nozzles and it dawned on me. In the 5 seconds between when I turn my pump off and the siphon break, the drat fish got sucked into the nozzle and down the pipe return piping. I undid the union down near the pump and out pops the little sucker, happy as can be.

I can't wait until they grow bigger.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Score! Snagged the female McCosker's flasher wrasse that went up on DD this afternoon.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

porksmash posted:

About a week ago I got 2 baby oscellaris clowns, barely 1" long. They were just the right size to fit between the teeth of my overflow and take a ride down into the sump

most lfs will sell coverings for your return opening to prevent that from happening, but it may be smart to make sure that siphon breaks sooner.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
That's a good idea. I drilled the returns lower than I should have, but I can get a couple 90deg loc-line pieces and raise them up. I'm not worried about flow because my return pump has about 30-40% of the output just circulating back into the sump right now.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
What is the cheapest/best/most efficient way of lighting an under-tank refugium? Right now the only thing in that chamber of my sump is a heater. I'd like to get some macroalgae and (more) copepods and stuff growing in there.

Emphasis on "cheapest."

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Buy a twisty-tube CFL light at ~6500K, or equivalent halogen spotlight of same spectrum. As high in wattage as possible (I personally use a "150W equivalent" light and have good results).

If twisty-tube and not a spotlight, go to Home Depot and buy a $9 reflector clamp. Otherwise just buy a clamp (but make sure it supports weight of your halogen spotlight bulb).

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
Since we're on the topic of fuge's and macro algae. What light cycles does everyone run and what macro algae or plants do you keep?

I'd really like to do a small mangrove forest in my 25g fuge, but not sure if it will be large enough to support the quantity of mangrove pods for my 75g

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I run my fuge light opposite.

I have chaeto and mangroves in my sump.

I consider mangroves just a (admittedly big) part of a unified nutrient export strategy. As such, even a few help. I currently have 10 in my 29gal-ish sump.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Came home from work last night to find my tank at 75.4° :( My heater was not powered on, checked all the connections and nada. Called my LFS who was closing up shop but were nice enough to stay open so I could go pick up a new one.

The one I had before was a Marineland Stealth, which they informed me was recalled for this exact reason. I upgraded to a Fluval E300 in preparation for the new tank setup which I am super excited to build!

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

SaNChEzZ posted:

Came home from work last night to find my tank at 75.4° :( My heater was not powered on, checked all the connections and nada. Called my LFS who was closing up shop but were nice enough to stay open so I could go pick up a new one.

The one I had before was a Marineland Stealth, which they informed me was recalled for this exact reason. I upgraded to a Fluval E300 in preparation for the new tank setup which I am super excited to build!

75.4 isnt bad at all. My tank during the day sits at 79 during the day and 77's at night. a few degree swing like that isn't great, but not terrible. Think about the ocean and random cold currents you get at certain depths. Corals are meant so handle small swings like that.

It's when your tank hits the 85+ that it becomes especially bad or drops 7+ degrees.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

75 is fine. I have heard some pretty experienced people who leave their tanks around 73-74.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Dono posted:

75.4 isnt bad at all. My tank during the day sits at 79 during the day and 77's at night. a few degree swing like that isn't great, but not terrible. Think about the ocean and random cold currents you get at certain depths. Corals are meant so handle small swings like that.

It's when your tank hits the 85+ that it becomes especially bad or drops 7+ degrees.

Nothing seemed out of whack at all, I just got worried :)

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Oh man. Did this thread not get the warning about the recall on Marineland Stealth heaters?

Anyone using one, replace that fucker. SaNChEzZ got off easy, some people have whole tanks killed off. Petsmart was replacing them, not sure if they still are.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Desert Bus posted:

Oh man. Did this thread not get the warning about the recall on Marineland Stealth heaters?

Anyone using one, replace that fucker. SaNChEzZ got off easy, some people have whole tanks killed off. Petsmart was replacing them, not sure if they still are.

My LFS said that marineland told them to have their customers send them directly to them, which is silly because we'd be out of a heater for XX days.

But yeah, this is the first I've heard of it. I dunno what it covers specifically, but the Stealth is definitely involved.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Small steaths aren't (50w version? I believe) but everything above that are recalled. Be glad that instead of it just frying itself it didn't blow up and knock a hole in your sump/whatever.

I'm using a couple of different ones now, a Jager in my big tank's sump, a 50w stealth in a 5gal I don't give a poo poo about, etc.

BTW I got the blue carpet nem. Letting it settle in a bit now.

Speaking of Murphy's Law, while I was doing some rearranging/maintenance/scraping in the mantis tank the peacock came up and just kind of playfully hit me in the left index finger. :gonk:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 23, 2011

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
Question: I'll be introducing a 5-6" RBTA into my 75gal aquarium this upcoming week and wanted to know the best way to introduce my clowns to it? The clown (mated pair) generally stay on the left side of the tank but of course venture out and swim around occasionally. Ideally I'd like to place or try and keep the RBTA (I know it won't cooperate but I'll be trying my best) near the center of the tank. Will the distance be a problem in introducing them to each other? Will this be hit or miss? They have also never hosted anything in my aquarium, but I only have a few small frogspawn/hammers (each are 4-6 heads).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I would try to gently chase the clowns to the part of the tank the RBTA is in.

I've never really had any issues with trying to get clowns in an anemone. My first pair of percs were in their RBTA nearly the moment the RBTA landed in the tank, my ocellaris pair took a while because they were abusing a hammer at the time, and my current pair of picassos were in their RBTA within a day.

(Also note the maroons in that haddoni)

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

SaNChEzZ posted:

My LFS said that marineland told them to have their customers send them directly to them, which is silly because we'd be out of a heater for XX days.

But yeah, this is the first I've heard of it. I dunno what it covers specifically, but the Stealth is definitely involved.

My LFS was nice enough to just give me store credit towards a different brand. Like someone else said, you're lucky it just stopped working and wasn't in the "pipebomb" category of failures. They were recalled for exploding causing physical damage and harm.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I've noticed a weird orange thing on my glass. I saw it on one side of the tank about 6 months ago, but I just noticed now it's on the front of the tank. It is very thin(about the width of a fishing line I guess), and about an inch long. It looks like a stick, with some "branches" coming off of it with wispy thinner white strands coming out of the end of each "branch", which are also stuck to the glass. It is extremely slow moving - I assumed it was some weird algae when I first saw it. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'd take a picture but I can't get it to show up with my camera - it just blends in with the background rocks.

If it moved and sticks to the glass it must be something alive, but it doesn't look like any starfish/anything I've ever seen.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
Sounds like a spaghetti worm. Does it look something like this? http://www.pirx.com/gallery/albums/worms/sworm01.jpg

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Not really. Mine looks much less clearly like a worm and more like a...stick. There is no clear body or head. I found a picture that looks kind of what it looks like (linked in the post here http://en.allexperts.com/q/Saltwater-Aquarium-3215/2010/8/Funny-orange-fiberous-worms-2.htm ), although his description doesn't particularly fit. The things I'm seeing are definitely not tentacles, but look like those stringy things on the glass. In any case I assume they aren't doing any harm, I'm just a little curious about what it is.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
you will rarely in my experience see the body of the spaghetti worm. So if you see various 'orangish' tentacles that branch out, you may just have a spaghetti worm, which is relatively common in aquaria. If they appear near your glass or sandbed, I'm sure they are just eating detritus.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It is definitely not connected to anything. It couldn't be. The thing appears above rocks where the "arms" would have to be like 10 inches long, and i'd find it odd if the arms had the same exact shape and form on the glass for 6+ months. It has moved about an inch in the past 2 days. I'll just assume it's some kind of worm and see what it does.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Dono posted:

Question: I'll be introducing a 5-6" RBTA into my 75gal aquarium this upcoming week and wanted to know the best way to introduce my clowns to it? The clown (mated pair) generally stay on the left side of the tank but of course venture out and swim around occasionally. Ideally I'd like to place or try and keep the RBTA (I know it won't cooperate but I'll be trying my best) near the center of the tank. Will the distance be a problem in introducing them to each other? Will this be hit or miss? They have also never hosted anything in my aquarium, but I only have a few small frogspawn/hammers (each are 4-6 heads).

I don't know if it's a troll or if it really works as the internet is an evil place, but I've read a lot about people putting pictures of clowns in nems on their glass and having it work.

Also, you can't really force them into it no matter how much you try, I started off with a GBTA but got rid of it because my clowns found the stick-on thermometer way more enticing :rolleyes:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I read that way back in the days before people could keep anemones alive for long, people used Koosh balls to get clownfish to breed.

Speaking of breeding, anyone here had luck with breeding Bangaii cardinalfish? I've read they are considered the guppies of the marine world....but I haven't been able to keep guppies alive for years.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I've seen fake anemone used to great effect in juvenile clown grow out tanks.

A couple of local breeders exist for Bangaiis, they bring them to our local swaps a lot. I like how they look and know they're mouth-brood-ers or some such, that's about it.

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

I read that way back in the days before people could keep anemones alive for long, people used Koosh balls to get clownfish to breed.

Speaking of breeding, anyone here had luck with breeding Bangaii cardinalfish? I've read they are considered the guppies of the marine world....but I haven't been able to keep guppies alive for years.

I have a longspine urchin that I'm sure would love some Bangaiis but my tank is a bit too aggressive for them I think. When I get my frag tank up and running I may try a few urchins and a handful of cardinals and let 'em at it.

I attempted to try out a tiger cowrie recently but it was just too heavy (mangled my rockwork a bit) so I returned him to the LFS along with the rock-boring urchin as it also caused me a lot of headaches in regards to the stability of my aquascaping.

Picked up a pair of white porcelain crabs, they've settled nicely with one on the giant toadstool and another on my other big yellow leather.

For my frag tank project I snagged a Precision Marine Bullet 2 skimmer with gate valve and pump that was used at my LFS for $99, pretty stoked about that. Anyone else have some wicked deals lately?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I read conflicting stories on Bangaiis. Some say you need a single pair raised together, others say you need a group raised together, which makes more sense. I know bigger is better for tank size, but I wonder if six or 8 Bangaiis would do okay in a 55 with just rock and fake urchins.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
Before I would try any non-conventional approaches, I would like to see some information as to why these may be appropriate. I am not too comfortable just trying something for the sake of it.

I don't mind keeping an RBTA without my clowns hosting it, but if it does happen then it would def be a plus. Any help with past experience is what I'd look for.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
In my limited experience (4 pairs of clowns so far) clowns by far prefer to be hosted by something living (anemones or anemone-like LPS) than anything else, and in the case of my perc pairs they were in their BTAs within a day or even moments of the anemone landing in the water. Some of them, at least, there's no way they've ever seen an anemone, fake or real, before, since I've seen their grow-out tanks.

That being said, fish all have individual personalities, and clowns can be pretty insane, so I wouldn't go and guarantee anything. But the odds are good.

--

A friend's also been breeding black onyx percs and his grow-out tanks consist of interconnected cubes with anemones in them. His juveniles nearly all prefer living in the anemones than random corners. Sometimes there's dozens in a good-sized 'nem.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jul 26, 2011

Jaggie
Feb 4, 2006

SaNChEzZ posted:

I don't know if it's a troll or if it really works as the internet is an evil place, but I've read a lot about people putting pictures of clowns in nems on their glass and having it work.

Just going to chime in to say that I've had a Bubble tip anemone for a while now and my clowns just completely ignored it. Then I tried on a whim the "Put a picture of a clown hosting one on the side of the tank nearest the anemone" and within about 48 hours they were both happily hosting it. In my situation I have a green anemone and simply found a picture of a false perc hosting a green one and held the picture up with my cleaning magnet.

Seemed to work pretty well. Though the assholes bite my hand now any time I even try to get close to the anemone.

Doesn't hurt to give it a shot.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

You should know where I'm going with this one.

edit: hint -- I'm about 5% through a 1.25GB upload.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 3, 2011

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

I was gonna say we haven't had pics in a bit. That crab looks mighty crafty.

A pair of fun ones here, I bought 2 porcelain crabs and one has opted to host a "tree house" in the big leather.

Conches... conching. (:byodood: kinda)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5K4hbndK68

Sorry, I have hay fever so I'm trying to suppress a sneeze/cough the entire goddamned time.

• Locked thread